Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lone Star Law is on #8693628 09/23/22 12:41 AM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
watching a GW with couple of guys who were on a lease. LO no longer leased but they came back and hunting the property anyway - GW caught them and when he told them he was writing them a ticket they gave him grief -

I read alot of post on here from guys who claim the GW's are not "fair" - give me a break -

Of course there are a few GW's who can be jerks but overall?? I have never had a single issue with any GW over my 50 years of hunting - I treat them with respect and they have always treated me the same way

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8693644 09/23/22 12:59 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I would have put them in jail.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8693645 09/23/22 01:01 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Most Texas Game Wardens that I've known or met in my life have been really good guys just trying to do their job, never once had a problem until Lone Star Law came out. Since then I've bad experiences twice, totally unnecessary and just plain aggravating. Especially the last time, two young green Wardens riding together and ruined my hunt, and were pricks about it. They were just being peckerwoods. The only federal Warden that I've met (a couple times) was a complete DB with a serious authority complex. We called him jumper, because he would literally hind behind vehicles, trees, or buildings when we came in from fishing offshore and JUMP right out in front of folks and holler "FEDERAL GAME WARDEN STOP RIGHT THERE!!!" Would scare the chit out of people. God that guy got on my nerves.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: ntxtrapper] #8693646 09/23/22 01:02 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Yep.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8693666 09/23/22 01:27 AM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by tlk
watching a GW with couple of guys who were on a lease. LO no longer leased but they came back and hunting the property anyway - GW caught them and when he told them he was writing them a ticket they gave him grief -

I read alot of post on here from guys who claim the GW's are not "fair" - give me a break -

Of course there are a few GW's who can be jerks but overall?? I have never had a single issue with any GW over my 50 years of hunting - I treat them with respect and they have always treated me the same way

I agree... Also in my 50+ years of hunting and fishing I've had many encounters with GW's. They everyone of them have been pleasant with no issues.
I will gladly welcome the GW in my hunting camp anytime up

[Linked Image]
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: ntxtrapper] #8693968 09/23/22 03:19 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Would the landowner be able to press any additional charges?

To be determined
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8693999 09/23/22 03:57 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Game Wardens are like other cops. Sure there are good ones. Sure there are jerks. Some are power hungry idiots. Some are just plain poachers themselves.

It is good that some people have had good experiences with them. The only time I had a game warden called on me, he was a total jerk and in the wrong. I was hunting a property with permission and a neighbor called me in for hunting on the property. The dork threatened to remove me from the property if I didn't provide a letter showing I had permission or if I didn't give him the contact information of the landowner to prove I had permission to be there. Why? As he put it, how does he know if I am there with permission or not? Quite politely, I told him that he could stuff it as he had no probable cause and he had no probable cause because the complaint was not from the landowner or landowner's agent and the law did not require that I provide him with any such information. He knew of absolutely no illegal activity on my part, but yet wanted me to prove I had permission to be where I was. Sorry, Homey, but it don't work that way. We went back and forth for 45 minutes before the arse left and I continued hunting.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: skinnerback] #8694110 09/23/22 06:29 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Most Texas Game Wardens that I've known or met in my life have been really good guys just trying to do their job, never once had a problem until Lone Star Law came out. Since then I've bad experiences twice, totally unnecessary and just plain aggravating. Especially the last time, two young green Wardens riding together and ruined my hunt, and were pricks about it. They were just being peckerwoods. The only federal Warden that I've met (a couple times) was a complete DB with a serious authority complex. We called him jumper, because he would literally hind behind vehicles, trees, or buildings when we came in from fishing offshore and JUMP right out in front of folks and holler "FEDERAL GAME WARDEN STOP RIGHT THERE!!!" Would scare the chit out of people. God that guy got on my nerves.

We ran hunting operations out of Shackelford, Throckmorton and Young counties from the 60's to the 90's. I can tell you dozens upon dozens of stories where hunters were dishonest and basically the scum of the earth. It goes both ways.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8694136 09/23/22 07:09 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

The tem "pressing charges" is a term used on television and has nothing to do with Texas codified laws. The State Of Texas is the complaining party in Texas on a case complaint. There are cooperative victims and uncooperative victims. As A general rule I always tried to do what the victim wanted, but sometimes people needed to go to prison for the good of society, regardless of what the victim wanted. In this case I'm assuming the GW asked the landowner what they wanted done.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: Choctaw] #8694257 09/23/22 09:44 PM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Choctaw

We ran hunting operations out of Shackelford, Throckmorton and Young counties from the 60's to the 90's. I can tell you dozens upon dozens of stories where hunters were dishonest and basically the scum of the earth. It goes both ways.

You got that right - lots of hunters who want to cheat - sad

Skinnerback with all due respect - the situation you described above - so the two young GW's goal was to ruin you hunt? They have the right to approach any hunter and ask for ID and hunting license whether you are doing anything wrong or not - that is not being peckerwoods - that is doing their job

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: skinnerback] #8694305 09/23/22 10:49 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The only federal Warden that I've met (a couple times) was a complete DB with a serious authority complex. We called him jumper, because he would literally hind behind vehicles, trees, or buildings when we came in from fishing offshore and JUMP right out in front of folks and holler "FEDERAL GAME WARDEN STOP RIGHT THERE!!!" Would scare the chit out of people. God that guy got on my nerves.

Was his last name Fife?

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: Choctaw] #8694314 09/23/22 10:55 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Yep.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8694890 09/24/22 09:46 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by tlk

You got that right - lots of hunters who want to cheat - sad

Skinnerback with all due respect - the situation you described above - so the two young GW's goal was to ruin you hunt? They have the right to approach any hunter and ask for ID and hunting license whether you are doing anything wrong or not - that is not being peckerwoods - that is doing their job

Oh I know what they can do, and I respect them and the job they do. Have been checked many, many times in my life between hunting & fishing......but there's more to the story with these two.

15 of us dove hunting, prime time and the birds start coming in hard. Wardens roll in to check us, ok. Been checked plenty of times, always a quick friendly experience. They approached me first, I've already got my HL and DL out for them. Hand it to them and I start unloading my shotgun because I know they are about to ask for it, to check the plug like they always do. I point my gun in a safe direction - rack the slide and kick the first shell out, and Warden immediately grabs my shotgun and tries to PULL it out of my hands. I said "whoah whoah, Sir what are you doing? I'm trying to unload it for you, I'm not handing you a loaded gun". He than grabs my shotgun with both hands and said "just give me the gun, now". OK fine, I let him have it. He kicked the other two shells out, checked the plug, mean mugged me, then put my gun in his truck. Everyone else got checked after me, DL's ran (they ran everybody for warrants, didn't just check licenses). Ok they can certainly do that, no problem. The problem was, everyone else was checked after me and was free to get back to hunting in no time. They didn't take anyone else's gun. Everyone is blasting birds but they kept me sitting there for 45 minutes. 45 minutes with birds flying, everybody shooting, except for me. WTH is this all about? I have never been disrespectful to a LEO in my entire life, what's going on here? I politely asked for my stuff back so I could hunt like everyone else, and was told "You'll get your things back when I am finished" with a snarky attitude. So 45 minutes after they took my ID/license and gun, they finally give everything back to me. I am aggravated, but kept my mouth shut. Then the skinniest Warden that pulled my gun out of my hands, looks at my hip and asks why I am carrying a handgun. I said, umn..because I always carry a handgun when I'm out here (22 pistol). This is private property, why do you ask Sir? His response "I'm asking the questions here OK". Whatever man, little prick. I didn't do anything wrong, am legal, was polite, have a clean record, no reason for all of this. The birds were done flying by the time I was given my things back, I never shot a bird. Everyone else did. Not sure why that guy had a problem with me.

Yes these guys were being peckerwoods. I'm assuming that me racking the slide triggered him. I have ALWAYS unloaded my gun in front of a Warden and then handed him an unloaded weapon with an open chamber like I was taught to do as a child, have never had a problem before until that day. Quite obvious they needed more training.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: ntxtrapper] #8694906 09/24/22 10:14 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

Yep.

Oh I know it.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: ntxtrapper] #8695068 09/25/22 12:54 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

The tem "pressing charges" is a term used on television and has nothing to do with Texas codified laws. The State Of Texas is the complaining party in Texas on a case complaint. There are cooperative victims and uncooperative victims. As A general rule I always tried to do what the victim wanted, but sometimes people needed to go to prison for the good of society, regardless of what the victim wanted. In this case I'm assuming the GW asked the landowner what they wanted done.

Thanks. Your always helpfully informative. Usually end up learning something new.

To be determined
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8695077 09/25/22 01:06 AM
J
Jiggamitch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Have a local warden that would always sneak up on me while fishing. Multiple days in a row he would scare me and check my license. I asked him why he keeps sneaking up on me and he said in case you were going to run. I asked how many people he's had run on him and he said one in 20 years. I would think after the first check on me, he would just walk up and ask. Seemed rude to me, but otherwise he was pleasant.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: Jiggamitch] #8695143 09/25/22 02:36 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by Jiggamitch
Have a local warden that would always sneak up on me while fishing. Multiple days in a row he would scare me and check my license. I asked him why he keeps sneaking up on me and he said in case you were going to run. I asked how many people he's had run on him and he said one in 20 years. I would think after the first check on me, he would just walk up and ask. Seemed rude to me, but otherwise he was pleasant.

I got checked by the same GW three times in one day. Fishing the Sabine sand bass spawn, once in the a.m., another time about noon, and the last time as we were coming off the water. The third time he recognized us and only counted fish to make sure we hadn't added to the limits we had at the noon checking.

Never had a truly bad experience, although I did jump one's behind a few years back on the sabine. He pulled up and slammed his boat into mine, then he just jumped aboard my boat without asking and commenced to spreading fish everywhere while counting them. While this was going on his partner was letting their boat it slam into mine repeatedly when other boats would come by and wake us. I finally told them if they wanted to make a few payments they could treat my boat however they wanted, but until then they needed to respect my stuff. The warden in my boat counting fish just hopped back in theirs and left dozens of fish scattered all over the floor of my boat. I was none too happy as they pulled away and my buddy was flipping out about how I talked to them. A guide was tied to the back of my boat and everyone in her boat was laughing their asses off (they didn't get checked).

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8695526 09/25/22 06:50 PM
G
grizzlyman Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
G
My few interactions with GWs in Texas have been positive. They have always been polite.

NRA Certified Rifle/ML Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8695534 09/25/22 06:58 PM
G
grizzlyman Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
G
I had a Fed GW up at Hagerman pull.in behind me when I was pulled to the side of the road at one of the gates. I was scouting for the turkey hunt I was drawn for and was about to leave. His demeanor changed when I told him what I was doing. He and I chatted for fifteen minutes and I picked his brain about where he had seen turkey

NRA Certified Rifle/ML Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8695540 09/25/22 07:06 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I've had a mixed bag of experiences with them, I have never been written a citation or warning at least.

I had returned from fishing one morning, and beached the boat. My wife wanted to take it to a nearby cove and relax, soak up some sun and read a book, so she did. She had seen a boat in the distance for an hour and it finally worked its way to her. The game warden in said boat asked for her license so she set her book down and handed him the DL. He then asked for a fishing license which she did not have. He proceeded to tell her she was getting a ticket for no fishing license. She called BS, and said clearly she was not fishing. He politely acknowledged that but said she had all the needed equipment and could start fishing at any time. She asked for his supervisors phone number and he asked why. She told him she was calling him to let him know she was being sexually harassed by his officer. He butted in and said BS, he had been nothing but to the point and polite. She told him, yes you sure have, but you have all the proper equipment and can start whenever you want.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8695670 09/25/22 11:20 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Everyone thinks that other hunters are good decent people just like they are, but the reality is many are lifelong criminals. Not just poaching crimes, but rather professional drug addict criminals.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8696140 09/26/22 05:38 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've never had any issues with GW ... my dad was close friends with the GW in Burnet county for many years. I kinda wish Lone Star Law could have been around back in the '60-'70 for some of the stories the GW told my dad at his shop.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: ntxtrapper] #8696904 09/27/22 04:26 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Everyone thinks that other hunters are good decent people just like they are, but the reality is many are lifelong criminals. Not just poaching crimes, but rather professional drug addict criminals.

This rings especially true for fishermen. Hell I think more criminals fish than don't.

Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8697221 09/27/22 10:56 PM
tlk Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Funny how some hunters have never had an issue with a GW. Others have had multiple issues with GW.
Wonder what the common denominator is??

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lone Star Law is on [Re: tlk] #8697259 09/27/22 11:55 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Ive never had any issues myself. I really havent been checked very often. I worked closely with the long time GW in Throckmorton(he moved to Shack) a few years back and we were able to catch a guy that got some hefty stuff handed to him. Also worked closely with the GW in Okla and he got the guy a couple of times. These two guys that I was aware of would be VERY diligent in catching the bad guys and Im not aware that they went out looking to arbitrarily harass anyone. Theres always good and bad with any profession, but Im always glad when I see those guys.
The new GW in Throckmorton(I assume hes still there) better not give you any trouble or you can contact me. smile
I used to coach him in youth sports. He played multiple sports with my Son and his Dad and I coached together a fair amount. Great kid.

Last edited by freerange; 09/27/22 11:59 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide