Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bears in Texas #8692950 09/22/22 03:44 AM
R
rickym Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
R
Will there ever be a huntable population again?
They are coming back into the state from multiple directions, how long do y’all believe it will be until we can legally hunt them?
Obviously, it will be certain counties only, but will there be enough of them for the state to allow legal hunting in sw and ne Texas?

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: rickym] #8692963 09/22/22 04:18 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Maybe 5 to 10 years?

Aio, quantitas magna frumentorum est
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: rickym] #8693228 09/22/22 04:17 PM
S
slymer Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I don't know about SW Texas but it NE Texas its going to be at least 20-30 years. I don't think there are any bears other than transient males in NE Texas. There will have to be a reproducing population for a while before they consider opening a hunting season.

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: slymer] #8693240 09/22/22 04:26 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by slymer
I don't know about SW Texas but it NE Texas its going to be at least 20-30 years. I don't think there are any bears other than transient males in NE Texas. There will have to be a reproducing population for a while before they consider opening a hunting season.

I don't think we will see a bear hunting season in Texas in the near future. I would say the 20-30 year timeline would be accurate if current population trends continue

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: rickym] #8693251 09/22/22 04:43 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I hope not. They are a PITA to deal with. I think of them as glorified 250 pound raccoons.

"Whosoever is delighted in solitude, is either a wild beast or a god."

- Aristotle
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #8693290 09/22/22 05:44 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by slymer

I don't think we will see a bear hunting season in Texas in the near future. I would say the 20-30 year timeline would be accurate if current population trends continue

I agree with above. No bear hunting for a long time.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: ntxtrapper] #8693295 09/22/22 05:46 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I hope not. They are a PITA to deal with. I think of them as glorified 250 pound raccoons.

A rancher in Brewster County says the same. They are a problem down there. His west line is an east line of the park.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: rickym] #8693405 09/22/22 07:27 PM
D
Double AC Ranch Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
D
Similar question but for elk? I know there are elk in that part of the state that have come over from New Mexico and at one point that was part of their native range. They are treated as exotics currently, but would think it would be a good idea to get those herds managed under the state if the population could support (maybe already does?) hunting.

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: rickym] #8693478 09/22/22 08:57 PM
Texas452 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
My buddies place in Brewster county, subdivision on the terlingua ranch.
He has since sold that place and bought another one 20 miles away, he hasn’t had any trouble with bears tearing up his stuff.

Attached Files 794EA4F8-8EB3-44A1-92A9-5BD0641AD34E.jpeg
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: Double AC Ranch] #8693681 09/23/22 01:37 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Double AC Ranch
Similar question but for elk? I know there are elk in that part of the state that have come over from New Mexico and at one point that was part of their native range. They are treated as exotics currently, but would think it would be a good idea to get those herds managed under the state if the population could support (maybe already does?) hunting.

Big misconception about the elk. They inhabited a very very small range naturally in west Texas and they were brought in, they did not come over from New Mexico. At one time they were a game animal and were declassified in the early 90’s

There is a decent herd established in west Texas, Notably on the Longfellow ranch and are managed well on private ranches.

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #8693718 09/23/22 02:50 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Big misconception about the elk. They inhabited a very very small range naturally in west Texas and they were brought in, they did not come over from New Mexico. At one time they were a game animal and were declassified in the early 90’s

There is a decent herd established in west Texas, Notably on the Longfellow ranch and are managed well on private ranches.

I was fortunate enough to elk hunt the Longfellow in 2018. Cow quota was 30 for the ranch.
.2019 it was flown, and an attempt to estimate herd size. The answer was 3000+.

So the 30 cow quota is a joke.

The hunting manager was fired for various reasons.

Elk will be a staple west of I-35.

Bears will be the same in 5 years.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #8693727 09/23/22 03:14 AM
S
SherpaPhil Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S

That tiny range is BS propaganda to justify listing them as an exotic. There is really no debate that they were in the panhandle along the Canadian as multiple sources documented them. There is also a lot of evidence to suggest that they were in NE Texas. Regardless, you are correct that the current population was introduced.

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: SherpaPhil] #8693730 09/23/22 03:24 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

That tiny range is BS propaganda to justify listing them as an exotic. There is really no debate that they were in the panhandle along the Canadian as multiple sources documented them. There is also a lot of evidence to suggest that they were in NE Texas. Regardless, you are correct that the current population was introduced.

They did run the Canadian river across the panhandle and in some areas along the red river. But they did not historically occupy large areas across the state. Pronghorn Antelope were more widespread than elk were.

Its also believed that the elk that existed in far west Texas were merriams elk.

But, it’s worth noting that they did, in some capacity, occupy the land within the state as a native animal.

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: ntxtrapper] #8693753 09/23/22 04:20 AM
M
maximum Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Yeah. Wait until they start in wrecking feeders and blinds and effing up your car to get inside to
that takeout food smell the mrs. brought home for supper.
They're already in east Texas . You think feral hogs tear sh*t up. Wait until you see your RV you have
parked at your lease

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #8693803 09/23/22 11:42 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

They did run the Canadian river across the panhandle and in some areas along the red river. But they did not historically occupy large areas across the state. Pronghorn Antelope were more widespread than elk were.

Its also believed that the elk that existed in far west Texas were merriams elk.

But, it’s worth noting that they did, in some capacity, occupy the land within the state as a native animal.

There are several historic accounts of elk in various locations in Texas and even hunted. Locations are from all over the state. There are also prehistoric records that I am say that I am happy to have been part of helping to identify. Here is an article from about 10 years ago that cites various works including mine.
https://pitchstonewaters.com/are-elk-native-to-texas-yes/

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8694023 09/23/22 04:42 PM
D
Double AC Ranch Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

There are several historic accounts of elk in various locations in Texas and even hunted. Locations are from all over the state. There are also prehistoric records that I am say that I am happy to have been part of helping to identify. Here is an article from about 10 years ago that cites various works including mine.
https://pitchstonewaters.com/are-elk-native-to-texas-yes/

This was a really great read

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: rickym] #8694033 09/23/22 04:58 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Dorothy from Wizard of Oz knew all about hunting the TransPecos. She said it best, "Mountain Lions, Mexicans, and Bears! Oh my!"

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: txtrophy85] #8694047 09/23/22 05:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I’m going with negative solely based off the habitat requirements of elk. There is no reason for them not to be over Texas at the very least west of 35. They where a plains animals first and foremost. When you take a historical look of the ecology of Texas Pre-European fire suppression, it would be perfect habitat.

Panhandle elk have been going back and between NM for decades and KS introduction just increased genetic viability

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: rickym] #8694049 09/23/22 05:20 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
As far as bear season, no Texas will never have one. Population estimates will never be high enough for a sustainable season. Unless they do a resale-able depredation tag to a LO(closest thing to a season we will ever see), out side of that TX is a SSS state on apex predators

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: rickym] #8694099 09/23/22 06:18 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Can someone post a picture of a big bear for me that was taken south of Alpine? The bear was laying under a protein feeder raking in the protein.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: J.G.] #8694105 09/23/22 06:24 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by J.G.

A rancher in Brewster County says the same. They are a problem down there. His west line is an east line of the park.

When my grandfather lived in Ruidoso he would shoot them with a pellet gun to keep them out of the trash. He said they were nothing other than big rats.

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: rickym] #8694169 09/23/22 07:52 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I have never seen a bear on my property in SE Texas, I have , also, never gotten a pic on a game cam. My neighbors have. I have also come across bear tracks in the road. Before you start pooh-poohing me, I have hunted bears in Tennessee, New Mexico, and Colorado and know what a bear track looks like.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Bears in Texas [Re: Kevin Heath] #8694172 09/23/22 07:54 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
I have never seen a bear on my property in SE Texas, I have , also, never gotten a pic on a game cam. My neighbors have. I have also come across bear tracks in the road. Before you start pooh-poohing me, I have hunted bears in Tennessee, New Mexico, and Colorado and know what a bear track looks like.

I believe you every state surrounding Texas has bears and all but Louisiana have a bear season. NM, Okla, Arkansas all have bear seasons

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8694194 09/23/22 08:25 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I’m going with negative solely based off the habitat requirements of elk. There is no reason for them not to be over Texas at the very least west of 35. They where a plains animals first and foremost. When you take a historical look of the ecology of Texas Pre-European fire suppression, it would be perfect habitat.

Panhandle elk have been going back and between NM for decades and KS introduction just increased genetic viability

No reason but its pretty well accepted that they did not exist across the state in any large numbers. Not saying there wasn't any at all to speak of but they just didn't roam large areas of the state in appreciable numbers. Very few historical records detailing killing elk in any great number across the majority of the state. When the state started to become settled in the 1830's there were not many accounts of elk being taken, very few heads/hides, horns, etc. from that era. Plenty of artifacts remain from the eventual extinction of Eastern Elk.

RMEF also agrees that the majority what populations did exist were along the Canadian and Red Rivers and small sky island habitat in far West Texas. I've read the Pitchstone Waters article several times in the past and if you look it also supports the large number of probable remains as being in far West Texas as well as along the Red River. A tooth here or a bone here also means little as well.

I'm not saying that Elk never existed inside the state, period. But I am in agreeance that they were not running all across the state in any appreciable numbers.

Re: Bears in Texas [Re: Kevin Heath] #8694198 09/23/22 08:26 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Kevin Heath

biggest thing you got going for you is that nothing other than a bear track looks like a bear track, so its hard to have a case of mistaken identity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide