Page 1 of 2 1 2
?official¿ World record long range rules #8692837 09/22/22 12:57 AM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
The 4.4 mi thread got me to thinking, we need some official rules for this world's farthest shot world record. I'm not saying those guys didn't do something pretty impressive to hit anything at 4.4 miles other than the ground, however also think just banging away has some issues as far as being a world record.

So, I decided to put together what I think would be a decent partial list of rules, and a couple of the rules I'm not 100% what I think would be correct on. I'll toss them out there for a general idea, and see what y'all thoughts are. So here goes:

1 first off you got to have a standard Target size, not just whatever. Part of me thinks that should be a two MOA Target, and another part of me thanks it should be a three or four MOA Target since that's what service rifles can generally hold. Now I know a service rifle is not necessarily going to be winning the world record, but it would be a standard based off of real world reasoning. The last idea I have on target, and maybe the one I prefer the most is would be to use a IPSC metric Target regardless of distance. Then you would have something based truly in real world reasoning since most of this idea of long range comes from sniper stuff. So that's my thoughts on targets

2 round count. This is another one I could go a couple of ways on. First would be that you would have to make one hit in 10 rounds followed by another hit in five. Or you could even say one hit in five followed by another hit in five. I do think 68 is a little high especially if you don't have to back it up LOL. That said hitting one in the first shot or two maybe asking a little much as well.

3 Classes. Since this is for world records and having a bunch of classes dilutes the world record, I think there should only be two. One class would be allowing a second person as a spotter/coach and the other class would not allow a spotter/coach. You'd have to spot your own through your rifle scope and make your own calls with no coaching. This rule I'm pretty solid on. Having multiple classes for calibers, sightng systems, etc it's just a way to so everybody could get a ribbon. And this is for a world record, so screw all that

4 attempts. This would be another rule that I would feel pretty adamant about. And that is only one attempt per day period. Having multiple attempts per day would end up just being a lucky shoot and finally getting your dope right, or the perfect wind. I think one attempt per day is the only way to eliminate luck and keep it skill based. And that's not one attempt per class, that's one attempt total.

5 witnesses. Of course this all have to be witnessed by some impartial official person, I don't know who that is, but more than just a YouTube camera LOL

So, what's your thoughts? I think these are pretty solid beginning rules but I'm sure I could be missing something.

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8692857 09/22/22 01:19 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I’m kind of surprised that people care so much about so little.

Makes me want to set my own meaningless world record. I bet there’s not one for the longest convoy of Tonka trucks driven by toads. If you think this shooting thing is hard to handle, prepare yourself.

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: Sneaky] #8692860 09/22/22 01:23 AM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Sneaky
I’m kind of surprised that people care so much about so little.

Makes me want to set my own meaningless world record. I bet there’s not one for the longest convoy of Tonka trucks driven by toads. If you think this shooting thing is hard to handle, prepare yourself.

True enough, but now I really want to see that parade tonka driving toads roflmao

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8692865 09/22/22 01:27 AM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I don’t se any way that extreme distance records like the one recently posted could be accomplished by just 2 people. At those distances there could easily be 8-10 wind changes if not more. No way for one spotter to keep up.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: P_102] #8692878 09/22/22 01:38 AM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by P_102
I don’t se any way that extreme distance records like the one recently posted could be accomplished by just 2 people. At those distances there could easily be 8-10 wind changes if not more. No way for one spotter to keep up.

Maybe a reason to go with the ipcs target as standard. At 18x30” hitting it 2 outta 10 would probably get impossible before the ranges got too far for that to be an issue.

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8692899 09/22/22 02:14 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I think the idea is a single hit. So requiring multiple hits or a 1st in certain number of tries followed by a 2nd in x number of additional shots kind of defeats the purpose of "the longest shot", because at that point it becomes "the longest shots"

IPSC should be the standard, period

3 or 5 shots, I'd be fine with either. 10 shots and the real-world target has long since escaped. 68 is beyond stupid

I like the idea of solo and pair classes. If you can't make the shot with one spotter, it again has zero correlation to any real-world situation, which defeats the purpose IMHO. A sniper is far away because they don't have access to the territory between them and the target. Or wouldn't be able to escape if they got closer. So having spotters closer than the shooter shouldn't be allowed IMHO.

I also think it should be certified by someone other than the team doing it. And you should get a certain number of attempts per month or year. Taking 5 shots a day 14 days in a row isn't really much different from taking 70 shots in a row. The only difference is changing wind and barometrics, but that's just math you can plug in. At some point the laws of probability kick in and you'll eventually hit it and it wasn't skill or luck but just volume that allowed the shot to be accomplished.

I also think these teams of ELR shooters who don't do anything but try to lob mortars for the sake of lobbing mortars is kinda stupid. If you need to hit a target 4 miles away, there are better options than a rifle and bullet. Why are you trying to hammer a nail into a board with a screwdriver?

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8692907 09/22/22 02:23 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by RJH1
Originally Posted by P_102

Maybe a reason to go with the ipcs target as standard. At 18x30” hitting it 2 outta 10 would probably get impossible before the ranges got too far for that to be an issue.

^^Good reply on that. You keep adding "crutches"(spotters, target size, attempts, specialized equip) and the possible distance gets longer. Try to set up the rules so that the method used is somewhat realistic and that will hopefully help limit the range to what is also somewhat realistic.
RJH, it looks like you put some thought into it.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8692934 09/22/22 03:14 AM
P
PKnTX Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
It would be a good idea for rule makers to post their qualifications.

And that parade of toad driven tonka trucks. That is critical.

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: PKnTX] #8692961 09/22/22 04:15 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by PKnTX

I cleared the TYL stage at the LR Precision Match. That's all I got.

In fact I think I cleared every KYL and TYL stage at every hunter or precision match I shot. Cleared as in hit the last target - not cleared as in no misses.

I also have a masters degree in engineering so I understand the math and statistics involved in taking 68 shots to hit a target. The stupidity of calling that a record is mind-boggling.

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8692967 09/22/22 04:23 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
I cleared it faster than you did on the short course. You hit further and smaller but I have no degree. 68 rounds and a record is BS

[Linked Image]
Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8692975 09/22/22 05:23 AM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
A 2moa target at 4.4miles (7750yards) = approx 155inch target ?

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8693001 09/22/22 11:12 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My "big" targets are 2 MOA (.6 Mil). Them and the berms behind them are for first learning DOPE then improving skills as a shooter. If those get too easy (and they do for some people) there are 1 MOA targets right beside them. I think they are sufficiently large for their purpose. I maintained that targets size and smaller for going farther than my range, with mobile target stands. 1200 yards 2 MOA (24") is the largest mobile one I have right now. And it's been used at 2180 yards. Again, all I had. So I think 2 MOA at any distance is sufficient size.

5 shots should be maximum. I think I am being generous with 5. For my own personal standards, they are in this order.

1. First round hit is the objective, always
2. Miss the first, a second shot with a proper correction should be fired extremely quickly after the first miss.
3. Me needing three rounds to get a hit, and I am very disappointed. Full stop, find out what is wrong.

For those wanting to stay at IPSC size targets, and bringing up military Snipers, remember sometimes they are shooting at material like vehicles. Even the USCG has Snipers, and they shoot motors out of boats from USCG helicopters. There is where I am fine with my 2 MOA standard.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: hetman] #8693005 09/22/22 11:18 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by hetman
A 2moa target at 4.4miles (7750yards) = approx 155inch target ?

1 MOA at 100Y = 1.047"

1.047 X 77.5 = 81.14"

81.14 X 2 = 162.29"

162.29" ÷ 12 = 13.52'

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8693023 09/22/22 12:09 PM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Imo the Ko2m (king of 2 miles) matches are where its at as far as potential "records" are concerned. Time limit plus round count limits with elimination factors.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: PKnTX] #8693035 09/22/22 12:20 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by PKnTX

I am just some guy. Never done any real prs type matches. My competition experience is in USPSA and 3 gun. In 3 gun 600 yards is a long shot, though occasionally you do see them a little further than that. But in doing those types of things I found that to be consistent, is you need a consistent rule set that everybody shoots from and a consistent target. You can be the world's best something, but it doesn't really matter unless you're applying it against other people who can do the same sort of stuff. Since there was a lot of people complaining about the 69 shot attempt at 4 MI it got me to thinking about that stuff.

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: J.G.] #8693038 09/22/22 12:25 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by J.G.
My "big" targets are 2 MOA (.6 Mil). Them and the berms behind them are for first learning DOPE then improving skills as a shooter. If those get too easy (and they do for some people) there are 1 MOA targets right beside them. I think they are sufficiently large for their purpose. I maintained that targets size and smaller for going farther than my range, with mobile target stands. 1200 yards 2 MOA (24") is the largest mobile one I have right now. And it's been used at 2180 yards. Again, all I had. So I think 2 MOA at any distance is sufficient size.

5 shots should be maximum. I think I am being generous with 5. For my own personal standards, they are in this order.

2. Miss the first, a second shot with a proper correction should be fired extremely quickly after the first miss.
3. Me needing three rounds to get a hit, and I am very disappointed. Full stop, find out what is wrong.

For those wanting to stay at IPSC size targets, and bringing up military Snipers, remember sometimes they are shooting at material like vehicles. Even the USCG has Snipers, and they shoot motors out of boats from USCG helicopters. There is where I am fine with my 2 MOA standard.

I like a lot of this, but the more I think about it, the more I like the IPSC target. By using one standard target, variables are reduced and need for multiple targets is eliminated

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: dee] #8693040 09/22/22 12:29 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by dee
Imo the Ko2m (king of 2 miles) matches are where its at as far as potential "records" are concerned. Time limit plus round count limits with elimination factors.

Exactly.

An established organization, a set of rules everyone agrees with enough that folks keep coming back to shoot matches.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8693082 09/22/22 01:41 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
How many on this forum could hit it in 100rds?

Asking for a friend.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: David Maas] #8693084 09/22/22 01:42 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by David Maas

Asking for a friend.

🙋‍♂️

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8693091 09/22/22 01:53 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Guiness World Records is now working on official ELR record setting rules. Stay tuned.

OH, BTW, not many on here got the $$ to play this game anyway, so let's just stick to our 800yard victories.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: David Maas] #8693123 09/22/22 02:26 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by David Maas

Asking for a friend.

Don't know, but I'd sure like to try. I don't own anything suitable for shooting much past a mile so I'd have to borrow the equipment.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: Buzzsaw] #8693134 09/22/22 02:33 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Guiness World Records is now working on official ELR record setting rules. Stay tuned.

OH, BTW, not many on here got the $$ to play this game anyway, so let's just stick to our 800yard victories.

Are you BSing about the Guinness stuff? I just seem to remember a few years back that Guinness quit doing shooting world records because of political correctness I guess. Maybe they've decided to take them back up

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: RJH1] #8693256 09/22/22 04:49 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by RJH1
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Are you BSing about the Guinness stuff? I just seem to remember a few years back that Guinness quit doing shooting world records because of political correctness I guess. Maybe they've decided to take them back up

peep

kidding bs

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: J.G.] #8694802 09/24/22 07:28 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by J.G.

Shooting at a vehicle with a rifle? With what objective?

Re: ?official¿ World record long range rules [Re: patriot07] #8695088 09/25/22 01:26 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Disable the vehicle. Take the people that are in it into in custody.

Take them into custody, learn about more bad guys to get.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide