Print Thread
Hunting Boots #8691745 09/20/22 01:52 PM
C
coachwhite34 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Mine finally bit the dust last year and I am in the market for some new ones. I have a gift card to Bass Pro so I might try and order some. Anyone have any experience with either the Under Armor or Irish Setter brands? I like the Under Armors but they don't have any that are insulated. I would like insulated if possible.

Re: Hunting Boots [Re: coachwhite34] #8691783 09/20/22 02:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by coachwhite34
Mine finally bit the dust last year and I am in the market for some new ones. I have a gift card to Bass Pro so I might try and order some. Anyone have any experience with either the Under Armor or Irish Setter brands? I like the Under Armors but they don't have any that are insulated. I would like insulated if possible.

Go to Scheels. Seriously 10x better selection both hunting and hiking.

Edit-just realized you may be down south.

There are very few places out west you will want insulated boots if all leather during season(synthetic is cooler). With that said, Gohunt.com has a huge selection and great return policy.

Another note since I just read gift card… Danner will have the largest selection of light duty insulated boots,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting Boots [Re: coachwhite34] #8691794 09/20/22 03:04 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
You can order a vast selection of boots from Bass Pro online.

I bought my Kennetreks from bass pro/cabelas and used gift cards.

Buy a quality pair of boots….Danners, Kennetreks, Crispis, etc. the Irish setters are comfortable but they will not last. I went thru a pair in one season.

I’m on the fence about insulated boots….most will tell you not to get insulated. I’ve always bought insulated, and never had issues with hot feet.

My Kennetreks I bought a 400 gram insulated boot and have been happy as heck with them.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting Boots [Re: coachwhite34] #8691811 09/20/22 03:20 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I have been pleased with my Danner Pronghorn with 400 gram Thinsulate ... I have a really wide foot and been very hard to find shoes/boots that fit, the Danner's are 13 wide work great and glad they run on the larger side as all my New Balance tennis shoes are 14EEEE ... I went in to a Cabela's and found the right length (13) but had to order the wide width

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Hunting Boots [Re: txtrophy85] #8691848 09/20/22 04:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
You can order a vast selection of boots from Bass Pro online.

I bought my Kennetreks from bass pro/cabelas and used gift cards.

Buy a quality pair of boots….Danners, Kennetreks, Crispis, etc. the Irish setters are comfortable but they will not last. I went thru a pair in one season.

I’m on the fence about insulated boots….most will tell you not to get insulated. I’ve always bought insulated, and never had issues with hot feet.

My Kennetreks I bought a 400 gram insulated boot and have been happy as heck with them.

I just realize he is probably just asking for winter texas hunting boots.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-bugaboot-iii-boot-1791221.html?dwvar_1791221_color=010

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting Boots [Re: coachwhite34] #8691862 09/20/22 04:31 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Sounds like you have a specific type of boot that you are looking for so this won't help but I am a huge fan of my Redback Bonsalls. I am on my second pair in 10 years and these are 365 day a year boots for me. Any time i've experienced cold feet in Texas its because I have tied boots on too tight, not because of the boot or sock insulation. No laces fixes that and the boot fits my very wide foot to a tee. Not being calf high keeps it cool in the 100+ work days too. Only boot I will likely buy the rest of my life.

Re: Hunting Boots [Re: coachwhite34] #8691909 09/20/22 05:39 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I wear Irish setter elk tracker and like them. I am a forester. I put more miles on a pair of boots in a year than most do in 10 years. It takes a good pair of boots to last me one year. I get 2 1/2-3 years out of the elk trackers. Expect the break in to be uncomfortable. The waterproof craps out in 4-6 months. The soles are slick on flat wet concrete on asphalt. I don’t spend much time on pavement but that might be an issue for you. I buy the uninsulated boots and hunt from texas to the Dakotas without issue however I can’t comment on the insulated boots. The Redwings are made in Vietnam but the quality has been good. There are two classes of Danner boots. Imports and American made. The American made Danners are very good boot but will cost roughly twice what you pay for the Redwings. That price spread is what motivated me to try the Redwings. Three pairs later they are what I buy.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 09/20/22 05:42 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Hunting Boots [Re: coachwhite34] #8691974 09/20/22 07:31 PM
C
coachwhite34 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Hoka makes a very nice hiking boot. I have a pair of their shoes and they are awesome. But they start at $180.

Re: Hunting Boots [Re: coachwhite34] #8692127 09/21/22 12:02 AM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I’ve gotten away from insulated boots. Been wearing uninsulated all year with these in my pack for when I will be sitting for a while:

Arctic Shield Boot Covers

Wearing insulated boots while walking was making my feet sweat, which resulted in colder feet when stationary. The boot covers fixed that for me.

Re: Hunting Boots [Re: Smokey Bear] #8692141 09/21/22 12:35 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I wear Irish setter elk tracker and like them. I am a forester. I put more miles on a pair of boots in a year than most do in 10 years. It takes a good pair of boots to last me one year. I get 2 1/2-3 years out of the elk trackers. Expect the break in to be uncomfortable. The waterproof craps out in 4-6 months. The soles are slick on flat wet concrete on asphalt. I don’t spend much time on pavement but that might be an issue for you. I buy the uninsulated boots and hunt from texas to the Dakotas without issue however I can’t comment on the insulated boots. The Redwings are made in Vietnam but the quality has been good. There are two classes of Danner boots. Imports and American made. The American made Danners are very good boot but will cost roughly twice what you pay for the Redwings. That price spread is what motivated me to try the Redwings. Three pairs later they are what I buy.

I have a pair of Irish setter vapor trail. Great boot but the sole does not last

I believe the elk tracker is a much stouter built boot

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting Boots [Re: txtrophy85] #8692652 09/21/22 08:56 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

I have a pair of Irish setter vapor trail. Great boot but the sole does not last

I believe the elk tracker is a much stouter built boot

Yes sir. Stout all leather and can be re-soled. Good ankle support. They are heavier than the vapor trails and take some break in though.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Hunting Boots [Re: coachwhite34] #8692685 09/21/22 09:51 PM
P
PanamaZ Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Thorogood 9" Studhorse

PanamaZ
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread