Forums46
Topics537,030
Posts9,719,592
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: ducknbass] #8690997 09/19/22 03:28 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by PigMoney
Spent 5 years on a lease between Albany and Breckenridge with numerous wells and tons of pumping activity. Nary a problem and shot plenty of deer. We didn't wear much camo back then couldn't afford it.
I still stand behind my personal belief that if Texas would ban corn baiting we'd get a handle on the hog problem and 99% of the DFW hunters would quit if they actually had to hunt. Talked to several out of staters that have moved to the Rolling Plains and they can't believe that 1: Texas allows baiting, 2: there are so many baiting stations set up on every single property (they're not wrong either).

Everything in this after the two words “afford it. Is ignorance on many levels.

Hogs will eat anything. Getting rid of corn feeders is not going to cause mass extinction of feral hogs. Though it sounds great it’s possibly the goofiest thing I’ve read on the internet in sometime.

Go to Missouri, Iowa, Illinois. They plant field with soy, corn etc just for deer then bad mouth Texas feeders. What’s the difference?

"Mass extinction" - your words not mine. I simply said get a handle on them.

Last edited by PigMoney; 09/19/22 03:36 PM.

“We don’t rent pigs!”- Hat Creek Cattle Company
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #8691005 09/19/22 03:38 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
STalked to several out of staters that have moved to the Rolling Plains and they can't believe that 1: Texas allows baiting, 2: there are so many baiting stations set up on every single property (they're not wrong either).

So i guess we should care and listen to what out of staters think about what goes on here?

You better, because they'll change it if you don't.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: PigMoney] #8691009 09/19/22 03:45 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
STalked to several out of staters that have moved to the Rolling Plains and they can't believe that 1: Texas allows baiting, 2: there are so many baiting stations set up on every single property (they're not wrong either).

So i guess we should care and listen to what out of staters think about what goes on here?

Well, Ok then

Round up all your feeders and take them to the scrap yard boys, because some out of staters can't believe that Texas allows baiting.........

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: PigMoney] #8691011 09/19/22 03:47 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

No, the convenience quickly overshadows the stereotype.

Only thing that stops baiting is if Grain is found it’s self to transmit CWD, if it does then it won’t matter, the ag industry will be wrecked

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8691014 09/19/22 03:51 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Creekrunner] #8691022 09/19/22 04:00 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
[Linked Image]

Pretty much how I was brought up to hunt. No camo needed. To each their own.
[Linked Image]

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8691025 09/19/22 04:06 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I THINK Creeks pic was from a great movie where a different kind on "activity" did more than ruin his hunt.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: freerange] #8691029 09/19/22 04:06 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by freerange
I THINK Creeks pic was from a great movie where a different kind on "activity" did more than ruin his hunt.

Great movie too.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8691037 09/19/22 04:12 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
now we have come full circle to the "you don't need no camo to kill deer" argument

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8691039 09/19/22 04:15 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im all about being respectful of others, as well as being thankful for the opportunity to be on someone elses land. It would be fair if everyone was considerate of others but life isnt always fair. It should help if things like this were addressed in an agreement up front.
It would have to be a pretty severe interruption, and likely more than once, before I would ever say anything about these type activities. I turn the other cheek more than some on here.
Ill add what I was told about how "activity" can change deers behavior. A man that runs a very successful and intensely managed 20K acre Ranch told me. They monitor free choice protein consumption weekly and keep records. He said if there is a lot of activity in an area it will cause the protein consumption to go way down. I think he was mostly talking about dover and chainsaw work but not sure.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #8691040 09/19/22 04:17 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
now we have come full circle to the "you don't need no camo to kill deer" argument

Dan threw in to ask the mail carrier where the big bucks are, so yeah, big circle.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8691043 09/19/22 04:19 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Since I sidetracked this off on a random tangent, (apologies) back to original discussion. I'll even make this more personal and about how I messed up someone's hunt. Got a call to go trap some pigs that a landowner was tired of. Landowner told me to go set up my trap encircling a deer feeder not 150 yards from his barn and pens. No problem. Drive out there one evening after work during the middle of the week at 4:30 to set up and drove right past a new popup blind with hunter in it. I backed out and got back to the barn and called LO. Said hunter had already called him and he said don't worry about him catch the pigs so I went back the next day, met the hunter apologized and caught 26 hogs that night. Sometimes you just gotta be civil.

Last edited by PigMoney; 09/19/22 04:21 PM.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8691051 09/19/22 04:29 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I do own the place, but our farmer seems like he needs to go run the tractors through the field about every time I plan to go hunting. hammer

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: freerange] #8691058 09/19/22 04:38 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by freerange

Dan threw in to ask the mail carrier where the big bucks are, so yeah, big circle.

That tip is straight out of Sports Afield circa 1967

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8691142 09/19/22 05:50 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
A couple of years ago we had a Natural Gas 'Super Well' drilled on our property and it was only about 400 yds. away from my favorite stand.

I was concerned at the time that all the commotion would drive the deer out of that area but pleased to find that they adapted in short order and in fact were moved CLOSER to my stand than ever before.

There are tanker trucks coming and going night and day, a service guy that comes in and takes readings every 2-3 days....it seems to have no discernible effect on them.

Last edited by flintknapper; 09/19/22 05:50 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8691196 09/19/22 06:46 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
About 25 years ago, an oil or drilling company decided to come onto my place and doze some roads that let them get to 2 properties that mine intersects. When I found them (I don’t live there) they explained that they would be running a pipe line between the 2 places. They were willing to pay me for it. I told the dozer operator that he needed to get his butt off my land. I wasn’t real interested in a drilling companies problems or opportunities. I knew he wasn’t a decision maker. They never came back. Ok with me.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: flintknapper] #8691240 09/19/22 07:51 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by flintknapper
A couple of years ago we had a Natural Gas 'Super Well' drilled on our property and it was only about 400 yds. away from my favorite stand.

I was concerned at the time that all the commotion would drive the deer out of that area but pleased to find that they adapted in short order and in fact were moved CLOSER to my stand than ever before.

There are tanker trucks coming and going night and day, a service guy that comes in and takes readings every 2-3 days....it seems to have no discernible effect on them.

Yep, only one well on our 5,500 acres and this is exactly what happened. Seemed to concentrate the deer more at this spot and that makes sense. They wouldn't lift their heads with metal clanging and machines working. Yes, 400 yards away.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #8691269 09/19/22 08:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

And surprisingly, I can't claim credit for starting it.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide