Forums46
Topics537,778
Posts9,729,052
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: TPACK] #8690441 09/18/22 06:47 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by TPACK
I killed my buck the 4th day of the season last year. Went back to my truck @ the front gate and went to get my buck and field dress him. When I got back to the front gate there was a truck with a long goose neck trailer on the dirt road that a piece of equipment had been on. They had unloaded a skid steer in the time I was I had cleaned my deer and entered our lease (125 acres) to do work on some old tanks that had been turned in as leaking by someone. I heard the equipment, but thought it was the county maintaining the road. They were actually there 2 or 3 days clearing brush and mesquites around the tanks and well head and don`t know how they effected the deer movement since I got my targeted deer about 30 minutes before they showed up. Been on the place for 5 years now and first time I ever seen anyone on the place. I always park in front though of the gate and not even the owner can get in until I move my truck if I`m hunting.

Unless you and the landowner have an agreement on your parking preference, I would not recommend blocking the landowners from entry into his own property.

[Linked Image]
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Pope&Young] #8690445 09/18/22 06:53 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Pope&Young
In a my years of hunting, I've only had one issue with an O&G worker.

It was during deer season. I took some time off during the week to hunt the rut.
I was rattling during mid day when I heard a saw an O&G truck driving through the lease. No big deal I thought, I new he was there to check equipment and read meters.
I went about my hunting for about another hour, when I noticed his truck sitting at an intersection of two lease roads.
Not sure what he was doing, I glassed him with my binos and noticed that he had a rifle leaning just outside the door of the window. So I started to slowly work my way towards his truck. When I got closer, I noticed he was occupied while looking through his binoculars and had no idea I was near. Once I got to his truck and made contact, as you would imagine, the dude was startled. I ask what he's doing. He informed me that he worked for the O&G company and was checking equipment and meters.
I told him that I knew that, and I heard him come onto the ranch. I informed him that you've been on the ranch for over an hour with no activity, and when I noticed you parked, you have a rifle leaning out the truck window while you're glassing with binos.
I informed him that I lease this ranch for hunting, and the landowner informed me that no one other paid hunters are welcome to hunt this ranch. I let him know it's understood that he has a job to do for the O&G company, but that didn't include poaching, and ask if your job duties are done to please leave.
After the encounter, I called the ranch owner and explained the situation. He said he'll make some calls and this shouldn't happen again.
I've been hunting the same ranch for 25 years and have not had anymore negative encounters with the O&G company employees.

I bet that same thing happens far more than anyone knows. It's a shame that mineral rights were ever allowed to be separated from land ownership.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690474 09/18/22 07:57 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Agree Doc.

The severance is definitely something an attorney thought up….

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: DocHorton] #8690477 09/18/22 08:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DocHorton

It was during deer season. I took some time off during the week to hunt the rut.
I was rattling during mid day when I heard a saw an O&G truck driving through the lease. No big deal I thought, I new he was there to check equipment and read meters.
I went about my hunting for about another hour, when I noticed his truck sitting at an intersection of two lease roads.
Not sure what he was doing, I glassed him with my binos and noticed that he had a rifle leaning just outside the door of the window. So I started to slowly work my way towards his truck. When I got closer, I noticed he was occupied while looking through his binoculars and had no idea I was near. Once I got to his truck and made contact, as you would imagine, the dude was startled. I ask what he's doing. He informed me that he worked for the O&G company and was checking equipment and meters.
I told him that I knew that, and I heard him come onto the ranch. I informed him that you've been on the ranch for over an hour with no activity, and when I noticed you parked, you have a rifle leaning out the truck window while you're glassing with binos.
I informed him that I lease this ranch for hunting, and the landowner informed me that no one other paid hunters are welcome to hunt this ranch. I let him know it's understood that he has a job to do for the O&G company, but that didn't include poaching, and ask if your job duties are done to please leave.
After the encounter, I called the ranch owner and explained the situation. He said he'll make some calls and this shouldn't happen again.
I've been hunting the same ranch for 25 years and have not had anymore negative encounters with the O&G company employees.

I bet that same thing happens far more than anyone knows. It's a shame that mineral rights were ever allowed to be separated from land ownership.

Just depends on the ranch. Some lease agreements have some pretty stiff $$$$$$$$ penalties for employees having ANY firearm especially long rifle in truck.

I’ve seen trucks get search on a buddies ranch

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690513 09/18/22 09:18 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
We hurt some deer hunters feelings one opening morning when we entered a ranch to do a couple of squeezes on a well in Young County. Two of them were livid, and asked me if I knew what day it was. I told them sure do, and if I had the choice I would rather be hunting than working. They said whatever, this is not going to work. We proceeded on and did the jobs, on the way out we saw the hunters talking to a guy who we later found out was the landowner they had called. He came over to the truck and said if it happened again feel free to handle it as we saw fit, gave me a smirk and said have a nice day.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: LonestarCobra] #8690532 09/18/22 09:50 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
We hurt some deer hunters feelings one opening morning when we entered a ranch to do a couple of squeezes on a well in Young County. Two of them were livid, and asked me if I knew what day it was. I told them sure do, and if I had the choice I would rather be hunting than working. They said whatever, this is not going to work. We proceeded on and did the jobs, on the way out we saw the hunters talking to a guy who we later found out was the landowner they had called. He came over to the truck and said if it happened again feel free to handle it as we saw fit, gave me a smirk and said have a nice day.

Some people don't understand math.

If a landowner yields $100k income per year from O&G and $8k per year from hunting, guess which party gets priority. bang

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690549 09/18/22 10:07 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I've been pissed off when loggers or O&G guys are on the property doing thier thing, but I'm not pissed at them. I'm either pissed or disappointed in the situation. The guys there doing thier jobs are just there doing thier jobs. Usually it's a minor interruption and then I'm back to hunting with no issue. Sometimes the whole hunt is ruined, but it's still not thier fault.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690552 09/18/22 10:14 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I have more troubles with cows than with people! bang

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690560 09/18/22 10:27 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
If you befriend the pumpers in your lease you find out a lot about the deer they see. Those guys are out there everyday driving the roads checking wells. They see a lot of animals.On a big acreage lease they can sometimes point you to the biggest deer in the place.

Last edited by huntwest; 09/18/22 10:30 PM.
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690570 09/18/22 10:42 PM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
I have a timber company lease for years. They have done logging activities routinely during hunting season. It appears to have no impact on the deer movement except in the immediate area where they are working. It really doesn’t seem to affect them at all.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690660 09/19/22 12:45 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Rifle fire on my land 52 weeks a year. And even then, we see whitetail eating ON THE RIFLE RANGE, more months than not.

Damndest thing...

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: DocHorton] #8690695 09/19/22 01:38 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

If an O&G guy/ truck of any kind, no matter what they're doing, are caught on our leases hunting, or even with a rifle of any kind will have hell to pay as it's in the lease that that is not allowed. I would imagine they'd be terminated immediately.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: huntwest] #8690710 09/19/22 02:05 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by huntwest
If you befriend the pumpers in your lease you find out a lot about the deer they see. Those guys are out there everyday driving the roads checking wells. They see a lot of animals.On a big acreage lease they can sometimes point you to the biggest deer in the place.

The local mail carrier can also be a good source for big buck intelligence, such as the time of day when and where he or she often sees one cross the road or chasing does in a nearby pasture.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/19/22 02:43 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: J.G.] #8690745 09/19/22 03:04 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra

Some people don't understand math.

If a landowner yields $100k income per year from O&G and $8k per year from hunting, guess which party gets priority. bang

Totally understandable on where the money comes from, but if a landowner can't somehow find a way to accommodate their hunters on opening morning, or during the weekends during hunting season, then maybe they shouldn't be taking folks hard earned money. It's a respect issue, IMO. Landowners want lessees to respect their land, and likewise they should be willing to respect the fact they took the hunters money and they want to hunt without interruptions. Of course, all of that should be spelled out in the lease agreement.

I booked a dove lease from someone on here several years back. Went out and checked out the place a couple weeks before season and saw birds (cut corn field). Went out opening morning and the entire place had been plowed up and was nothing but turned dirt and not a single bird in sight. bang It wasn't much money, but obviously I wasn't happy.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690774 09/19/22 09:35 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
If ones don't like where they are, should re-up the lease.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690861 09/19/22 01:00 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I don't think some here understand the landowner/O&G company's rights and relationships once a lease is signed.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690877 09/19/22 01:35 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Many times, the landowner does not own the minerals and has very little say-so in drilling activities, so its not fair to assume that the landowner is trying to submarine the lease hunters season.

That said, most operators are more than willing to accommodate landowner requests that all activity shall be between the hours of 10 and 2 during hunting season.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690886 09/19/22 01:47 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Had a gas line run right through my lease in Grayson county. Sat in the stand with a giant rocksaw chewing that rock a few hundred yards from my stand. Noise drove me insane, but I did have 2 bucks cruise right through as if nothing was going on.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690934 09/19/22 02:31 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Spent 5 years on a lease between Albany and Breckenridge with numerous wells and tons of pumping activity. Nary a problem and shot plenty of deer. We didn't wear much camo back then couldn't afford it.
I still stand behind my personal belief that if Texas would ban corn baiting we'd get a handle on the hog problem and 99% of the DFW hunters would quit if they actually had to hunt. Talked to several out of staters that have moved to the Rolling Plains and they can't believe that 1: Texas allows baiting, 2: there are so many baiting stations set up on every single property (they're not wrong either).

“We don’t rent pigs!”- Hat Creek Cattle Company
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690953 09/19/22 02:45 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Heard about this from a big, well known ranch with high dollar lease costs - Hunters in their blinds opening morning. Started hearing a ruckus. Cowboys everywhere rounding up cattle. hunted got pizzed and called their contact. Contact said he would get the cattle guy to come speak to them.

All were gathered at camp when a P/U came pulling up. Out stepped a 6'6" strapping, leathered man with broad shoulders. One of the hunters asked him why they were choosing to work cattle right then. He replied, "We needed to work the cattle." He turned around, got in his truck and left.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: txtrophy85] #8690958 09/19/22 02:49 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Many times, the landowner does not own the minerals and has very little say-so in drilling activities, so its not fair to assume that the landowner is trying to submarine the lease hunters season.

That said, most operators are more than willing to accommodate landowner requests that all activity shall be between the hours of 10 and 2 during hunting season.

Very true, yet again, another reason why they never should have been separated.

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: PigMoney] #8690968 09/19/22 02:58 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by PigMoney
Spent 5 years on a lease between Albany and Breckenridge with numerous wells and tons of pumping activity. Nary a problem and shot plenty of deer. We didn't wear much camo back then couldn't afford it.
I still stand behind my personal belief that if Texas would ban corn baiting we'd get a handle on the hog problem and 99% of the DFW hunters would quit if they actually had to hunt. Talked to several out of staters that have moved to the Rolling Plains and they can't believe that 1: Texas allows baiting, 2: there are so many baiting stations set up on every single property (they're not wrong either).

Everything in this after the two words “afford it. Is ignorance on many levels.

Hogs will eat anything. Getting rid of corn feeders is not going to cause mass extinction of feral hogs. Though it sounds great it’s possibly the goofiest thing I’ve read on the internet in sometime.

Go to Missouri, Iowa, Illinois. They plant field with soy, corn etc just for deer then bad mouth Texas feeders. What’s the difference?

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: Sewer rat] #8690976 09/19/22 03:03 PM
D
DukeCigars Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I laughed at the title of this post because hunting often interferes with what’s going on with the land. I’ve always hunted the Pineywoods and have just known to leave the loggers etc alone. Even with an MLD lease and 5 months of rifle season…we’re hunting on logging land. They’re not logging on hunting land.

Car guy. Serial entrepreneur. Terrible golfer.
Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: PigMoney] #8690992 09/19/22 03:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by PigMoney
STalked to several out of staters that have moved to the Rolling Plains and they can't believe that 1: Texas allows baiting, 2: there are so many baiting stations set up on every single property (they're not wrong either).

So i guess we should care and listen to what out of staters think about what goes on here?

Re: Activities on the land that interfere with hunting [Re: DocHorton] #8690993 09/19/22 03:24 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
It's a shame that mineral rights were ever allowed to be separated from land ownership.

I lease a ranch for hunting that has wind AND o/g rights severed. Having several operators out there earning their pay can be .... interesting. Talk about a lease hunter being 'low man on totem pole' in that scenario.

Last edited by HuntnFly67; 09/19/22 03:24 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide