Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Panic attacks [Re: TijuanaTom] #8693767 09/23/22 09:56 AM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by TijuanaTom
Had my first one about a month ago. Up until that point, thought they were complete BS and just a crutch for ppl to lean on who felt "overwhelmed"

I ran into a stretch of 3 days with little to no sleep and the last day being a lot of driving and outdoor physical labor with a single day round trip to the lease. Got home everything was just fine. Tried to go to bed that night and could not go to sleep. Heart was beating out of my chest. Tried to relax and calm myself down...heart continued to beat out of my chest and now felt some flutters. Tried to lay down again and now my left shoulder starts a dull aching pain in addition to my heart stuff.

Tell the wife im driving to the ER and on the way there i now have pain in my should and in my left arm. Getting more worried almost to the hospital and now feels like someone is stabbing me with a hot knife through my chest. Honestly, did not think i was going to make the 7-10 min trip to the ER w/o dying. Made it to the parking lot, didnt even find a spot just left the truck somewhere in the middle and went inside. No heart attack everything was 100% normal i guess except the old brain.

Yep, ‘Sleep Deprivation Psychosis‘ can getcha good - mine caused by extended hospital stay after traumatic accident. Couldn’t sleep in the hospital and they refused to give me anything to help me sleep. I went into full panic/anxiety/paranoia mode and they had to send in two armed sheriffs deputies in the middle of the night to calm me down after I barricaded my hospital room door! Developed caffeine-induced-Tachcardia in the process as well, and to this day I cannot touch a drop of caffeine - this after drinking a couple pots of coffee each morning for decades.

Re: Panic attacks [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8702208 10/05/22 02:33 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I suppose stress can bring on a panic attack but beware, they can happen anytime and why I'm not sure. When I was getting them I'd immediately remind myself my BP is usually 115/70 my pulse 60"ish" and I walk 5-6 miles a day and weightlift and no being out of breathe, etc. so calm down- probably not heart related. I am told that often there are subconscious things roaming around in the back of your head and that might cause them. The term "panic" might be a misnomer.

Re: Panic attacks [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8719023 10/27/22 12:08 AM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I had my first panic attack in June. I have social anxiety, but have always been able to keep it in check. Since April, my anxiety had been getting worse and worse and worse. I couldn't figure out what was going on. I started therapy to see what they could do...didn't help. I started thinking about things and as I am a HUGE believer in gut health playing a role in brain health, I started looking at what was different in my diet. Turns out I DO NOT process Acesulfame potassium very well. It is in a lot of diet products, especially in the Coke Zeros, Dr Pepper Zeros, etc. I began drinking them last year, but kept my diet Dr Pepper because it was cheaper. In April of this year, the Dr Pepper Zero at Walmart was cheaper, so I went with those. I could literally tell from my Walmart order history and my text messaging at the time as to when it all started. I am good with Aspertame (both have been linked to depression and other issues), but not Acesulfame potassium. That crap will mess me up. Fortunately, it leaves your body in 24 hours or less...but when you're drinking 4 to 6 a day....bad things happen.

Re: Panic attacks [Re: Dave Scott] #8719363 10/27/22 12:55 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I suppose stress can bring on a panic attack but beware, they can happen anytime and why I'm not sure. When I was getting them I'd immediately remind myself my BP is usually 115/70 my pulse 60"ish" and I walk 5-6 miles a day and weightlift and no being out of breathe, etc. so calm down- probably not heart related. I am told that often there are subconscious things roaming around in the back of your head and that might cause them. The term "panic" might be a misnomer.

This is spot on. Especially the part about subconscious stuff. A few years back, I had a couple of panic attacks for, “no reason”. Brother in law is a psychologist and recommended a great book called, “Coping With Anxiety”. You’d be surprised how many facets of our modern lives can contribute to this without us even realizing it. One of the reasons is that many of us don’t live near any of our family any more and that support system is what helps a lot of people get through situations. It also recommended doing some sort of physically tiring exercise when you feel it coming on because you can’t be tired and anxious at the same time. It helped.

I think part of my trigger was dealing with the loss of my mom after dad had passed a year earlier. Selling the house you grew up in does a number on you. Ties back to that family thing I mentioned. It’s one thing to live away from family, but a whole other level when they are gone and you can’t go visit them even if you want to.

I’m remember laying on couch watching tv, not thinking about anything or feeling stressed, when out of nowhere my heart starts pounding and speeding up. And like another person mentioned, when you think you might be having a heart attack, that only makes it worse because now you’re thinking it’s the end of your life and you aren’t ready for that. A vicious cycle.

Re: Panic attacks [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8720771 10/29/22 12:20 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Never had a panic attack but spent some time in depression. The depression kept hold until I turned into anger.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Panic attacks [Re: Dave Davidson] #8724998 11/02/22 11:16 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Never had a panic attack but spent some time in depression. The depression kept hold until I turned into anger.

Its 2 sides of the same coin. It has to come out some way. God bless.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Panic attacks [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8743445 11/27/22 02:33 PM
M
MeanGreen85 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Cold exposure does amazing things for training the body to manage stress & lower anxiety levels. I could talk for hours on the benefits I’ve seen first-hand over the last few years.

Re: Panic attacks [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8747152 12/01/22 05:17 PM
J
Jamoke Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I was listening in to the Conversation, I have struggled with severe anxiety and panic attacks, some of it improved with low dose Medication. Most of the rest by having a regular schedule at work and not over scheduling my time off. Lots of peaceful things, Naps. Fishing, Even sitting in a hunting blind for hours watching squirrels, birds, deer and hogs, sometimes just listening to peaceful nature sounds. I still avoid crowds, avoid firework (loud noises) hate driving in any major city. I hate cities in general as I was raised where we couldn't see our neighbors, and everyone mostly kept to themselves. I have thought about trying a float tank for a while. Because of this post I scheduled a free Veterans float this upcoming Dec 11 in Cedar Park (closest to where I live) I took the 1rst float of the Day as I still worry about laying in water that So many other people have. Figure it has all night to purify, don't want to catch no weird monkey pox. When I get a panic attack, I need to clear my mind, close my eyes, relaxation techniques can work if you practice before the event. Deep breathing, tensing and relaxing each muscle group from feet to head for at least 10 sec. You have to close your eyes and envision something quiet and peaceful. I like ocean waves on an empty beach, all while taking deep breaths, holding it to the count of 2 and releasing. Try it, you need to do it before you are in an attack and to practice. Then the moment you feel the attack starting you will be more ready. It works similar to knowing you have Lorazepam or Zanax, because you know you have a tool you can use to stop the attack. And yes, getting good sleep and eating Healthy are also part of my therapy. GL

Re: Panic attacks [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8748071 12/02/22 06:43 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Lorazepam or Zanax are both very addictive. use with great caution.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide