Forums46
Topics537,968
Posts9,731,175
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? #8690499 09/18/22 08:58 PM
10 Gauge Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Anybody using scent control? What works?

I cant imagine it will help you if a buck is literally dead downwind, I sort of assumed it was to keep you from leaving a lot of scent behind?

Pure sales gimmick?

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8690503 09/18/22 09:02 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I used it last year... I will say it was the only time I've had deer come from behind me with the wind in my face.
It smells kind of like a women's perfume though.... soooo not sure about that.
I'd just stick to Scent Killer.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8690504 09/18/22 09:03 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Probably more to it when bow hunting and trying to pull shooter bucks inside of 40 yards; really have never used them in 45+ years of rifle hunting and have had tens to hundreds of shooter bucks within 50 yards of me; obviously they are more punch love drunk while rutting than not. For my $$$$, there is still no substitute for limiting one's noises, movements whether in an enclosed box blind or open air tripod.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8690522 09/18/22 09:26 PM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Two incidents changed my mind on scent control.

1. Hunting public land during rifle season. Hunted up on a ridge that morning, and moved my tree stand to the bottom by a pond during mid-day. Hung stand, then took a nap at the base of an adjacent tree. Woke up, smoked a cigar, the threw cigar down and whizzed it out. Climbed my tree, and two hours later had three does and two yearlings taking turns smelling the cigar butt. They hung around until dark and I ran them off when I climbed down.

2. Another public land hunt during rifle season. Running way late and was hanging my tree stand as it was breaking light. Tied my pull up rope to rifle, jacket, and pack before climbing into stand. In stand connecting safety harness and checking for obstructions before pulling gear up. Hear something coming through the woods at a trot. It’s daylight by this time, so I got to see a very nice 8-point trot right up to the base of my tree. He stopped and spent 10-15 seconds smelling my pack, rifle, and jacket. Decided it wasn’t worth his time and continued on his way while I frantically tried to get my rifle pulled up and loaded. Didn’t make it before he disappeared into the woods.

I don’t worry so much these days, and still manage to kill plenty of deer.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8690538 09/18/22 09:59 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It's a farce IMO, none of the scent killers are that effective. If you notice, these so called experts on TV that get paid by these people always wait until the win is right to hunt a specific stand. There's a reason for that. It fools humans into thinking it actually works is the best thing going for it.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8690565 09/18/22 10:34 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Vanilla extract is a great nose jammer. I have had deer come from straight downwind of me using it.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: huntwest] #8690616 09/18/22 11:57 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by huntwest
Vanilla extract is a great nose jammer. I have had deer come from straight downwind of me using it.

Now that i think about it......... that's what the nose jammer i got smells like, somewhat.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8690619 09/19/22 12:07 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
That stuff is a gimmick. Even if it worked, it would be a crutch. Learn to hunt and use the wind to your advantage.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8690676 09/19/22 01:00 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Never used it but I do believe in some sort of cover scent or attractant.

I hear people say all the time that they don’t have trouble killing deer even though they do everything wrong. Well killing a random deer really isn’t that hard when you come right down to it. Killing a specific deer is where things get tricky and you need all the help you can get when you have a bow in your hand. I could kill a deer without leaving camp on most places I have hunted, but not a deer I would be happy with.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8690720 09/19/22 02:13 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Nose Jammer is legit. Several of us use it for bow hunting. Spray it on you, and around your blind, limbs, and reapply about every 30 minutes. I used to get busted all the time. I figured I'd try it. The Nose Jammer scent overloads their scent glands, and they can't smell you. I will get deer that go down wind of me and they keep throwing their head in the air smelling. But they don't smell me. I'll put it out on my blind when I'm not there also. I use it when bow hunting and when in the box blind (my box blind has deer real close, also).

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: JCB] #8690724 09/19/22 02:19 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by JCB
Well killing a random deer really isn’t that hard when you come right down to it. Killing a specific deer is where things get tricky and you need all the help you can get when you have a bow in your hand.

Heck, it's not much easier with a rifle.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8690780 09/19/22 10:04 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I think a lot of times when fellas have deer downwind and they don't get winded, it's because of thermals. I've found a lot of hunters don't understand hunting thermals.

[Linked Image]
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8690916 09/19/22 02:17 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
The only one that I have found that seems to help is Scent Guardian. I use a lot of Predators Death Grip when calling coyotes and it works not only to cover my scent, also as an attractant.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: ChadTRG42] #8691059 09/19/22 04:38 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Nose Jammer is legit. Several of us use it for bow hunting. Spray it on you, and around your blind, limbs, and reapply about every 30 minutes. I used to get busted all the time. I figured I'd try it. The Nose Jammer scent overloads their scent glands, and they can't smell you. I will get deer that go down wind of me and they keep throwing their head in the air smelling. But they don't smell me. I'll put it out on my blind when I'm not there also. I use it when bow hunting and when in the box blind (my box blind has deer real close, also).

Have your dog take a dump in your living room floor and spray it down with any scent killer and see what happens. Nothing will hide human scent 100% effectively. To much scent comes from your breath, eyes, head, etc to completely cover it up. I've spit Copenhagen out of a deer blind window directly on the ground in front of me and deer will occasionally spook but not every time.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691069 09/19/22 04:45 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Jgraider is correct

You cannot eliminate human scent or really most scents for that matter

If you could drug dealers would be buying up scent killer by the semi-load

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691073 09/19/22 04:47 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Yeah, I had a buddy who trained these dogs, and they tried every scent killer, and scent eliminator on the planet. Some took a little longer, but they could never, ever fool their nose for very long. Only sure way is playing the wind, period.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691158 09/19/22 06:00 PM
10 Gauge Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I tell you what, I tried the extra strength scent killer on my greasy deisel hands after filling up and it mostly wiped right off and took care of most of the stink. That says something

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 09/19/22 06:01 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691171 09/19/22 06:16 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
I tell you what, I tried the extra strength scent killer on my greasy deisel hands after filling up and it mostly wiped right off and took care of most of the stink. That says something

Except for the fact that animals, especially big game animals, can smell things about 1000 times better than humans.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: Jgraider] #8691200 09/19/22 06:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann

Except for the fact that animals, especially big game animals, can smell things about 1000 times better than humans.

Deer's smell is purported to be 10,000 times stronger than a human. A Bear is 2100 times stronger than a person. A pig 2000 times stronger than us.

A deer has 2000 more scent receptors than we do and there is more brain function dedicated to scent than any other part of the deers senses. They see and hear about as well as we do but you will never, ever beat their nose and to think so is foolish

Lots to factor in other than wind direction, thermals are just as important. I've have deer smell me when the wind was blowing straight in my face.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691214 09/19/22 07:07 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
That's amazing actually.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691229 09/19/22 07:36 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Have you ever used the Nose Jammer? Nose Jammer over loads their senses. It smells like vanilla cup cakes and VERY strong. (I put their description below). You're not eliminating your scent. You are simply overloading the deer's nose with the Nose Jammer so much that they can not smell your scent. If you would have asked me if this works, I would have said no way. You spray it and it's VERY strong. I've bow hunted for 20+ years. I've bow hunted elk on 4-5 trips. I've tried ever scent elimination possible. The only 2 things that I have found that work well for scent control are the scent suits and Nose Jammer. It's too hot for scent suits. When we found out that Nose Jammer worked as well as it did, multiple people on our lease went to it. Again, it is a product that I can say actually works. And I am a hunter that gets busted often if I do not use it. So, I use it and keep bow hunting. Just my experiences and my 2cents

TREES, SHRUBS, AND GRASSES EMIT AROMATIC COMPOUNDS INTO THE ENVIRONMENT NATURALLY
Nose Jammer contains Vanillin and other natural aromatic compounds that have the ability to effectively jam an animal’s sense of smell. The compounds used in Nose Jammer are not alarming to game animals because they are found in lignin, a major support structure for all trees, grasses, and shrubs. The key is taking these prolific compounds game animals are conditioned to and delivering them at concentrated levels to overload the olfactory gland found in an animal’s nose.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691255 09/19/22 08:06 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I can believe the scent jammer can work based on chads explanation. Makes sense.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: Jgraider] #8691282 09/19/22 08:27 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Have your dog take a dump in your living room floor and spray it down with any scent killer and see what happens. Nothing will hide human scent 100% effectively. To much scent comes from your breath, eyes, head, etc to completely cover it up. I've spit Copenhagen out of a deer blind window directly on the ground in front of me and deer will occasionally spook but not every time.

Two years ago, Chad told me about Nose Jammer. I figured he was full of mierda. But, saw it in Walmart and it was only like $4. I figured it would be worth $4 to publicly ridicule him on an open internet forum, so I bought it. I doused myself with the stuff (smells like sugar cookies, heavy on the vanilla). And went bow hunting. I had three does come in that night and as they were coming in, I made a movement or sound or something. Not sure, but the got nervous all of a sudden. I know it was not scent because they were upwind at this time. They circled downwind to obviously check me. I figured that I was busted. They got downwind of me and stuck their noses up in the air, and sat there sniffing for a bit. I know they smelled me, or at least my vanilla perfume. They then continued their circle back to in front of me. Nose jammer has kept deer from spooking on me a many times when I KNOW they smelled me. A few times, they still spooked. I still hunt the wind, but smelling like a vanilla cookie ain't all that bad, and it obviously doesn't hurt.

Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: unclebubba] #8691286 09/19/22 08:30 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Two years ago, Chad told me about Nose Jammer. I figured he was full of mierda. But, saw it in Walmart and it was only like $4. I figured it would be worth $4 to publicly ridicule him on an open internet forum, so I bought it. I doused myself with the stuff (smells like sugar cookies, heavy on the vanilla). And went bow hunting. I had three does come in that night and as they were coming in, I made a movement or sound or something. Not sure, but the got nervous all of a sudden. I know it was not scent because they were upwind at this time. They circled downwind to obviously check me. I figured that I was busted. They got downwind of me and stuck their noses up in the air, and sat there sniffing for a bit. I know they smelled me, or at least my vanilla perfume. They then continued their circle back to in front of me. Nose jammer has kept deer from spooking on me a many times when I KNOW they smelled me. A few times, they still spooked. I still hunt the wind, but smelling like a vanilla cookie ain't all that bad, and it obviously doesn't hurt.

It would just make me hungry, then with it causing a craving for cookies would make me wonder if they are in bed with cookie companies!

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Nose jammer, scent killer, dead down wind etc any good? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8691289 09/19/22 08:33 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
They all claim to do the same thing, and for the reasons I've already posted I don't believe they work. If it seems to work for someone, then more power to 'em. I'm not going to stalk 190"+ mule deer smelling like vanilla.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide