Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8689593 09/17/22 03:36 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Yes the Texas odds suck but here is my take. I’m happy to spend 50-80$ a year for the opportunity to draw a hunt. All that money goes to support something I’m passionate about. Similar to buying a super combo even though I don’t bow hunt and rarely fish anymore (same for my wife). It’s money spent to ensure my kids can have a fair shot at hunting and fishing in Texas for years to come. To each his own but I don’t mind making a donation each year for the opportunity to draw something cool. Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by krmitchell; 09/17/22 03:37 AM.
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8689598 09/17/22 03:45 AM
B
bassmastar34 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
having lived and or hunted in alot of other western states people complaining about draw odds here in Texas seems laughable. I have spent literally thousands of dollars building points in state/hunt areas that i still have a less and a fractions of a percent chance of ever drawing. Is the current draw system perfect in Texas of course not but it definitely worth the 3 dollars to get a point in most categories and I have drawn 2 hunts here with 1 and 0 points where mathematically i should not have. If you can not afford to pay for a private land hunt you have to pay for the miles to go to the otc opportunities that are out there in the state or in neighboring states. just my 2 cents

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: J W M] #8689603 09/17/22 04:17 AM
H
HenryL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by J W M
Some of the folks on here AMAZE me. So much talk about how horrible our draw system is and then when a lot of folks do get drawn, they start asking questions about the place they got drawn at. (Is this place any good, etc.) I see so many questions about when is "so and so" category drawn? How did you even apply? Did someone else do it for you? Look at the system, do your homework. The most desirable places get "tons" of interest & applications. If you're looking to "just get drawn", apply at the places that don't get many applications. As these drawings are very limited, you can expect to wait a while "normally" before you got a chance. But the good thing about this system, as compared to other states is that it does not go strictly off of points. I have been in the system for many years in Arizona, trying to draw a quality Elk tag. I know these things don't come easy, therefore, I'm going to have to wait. Here in Texas, at least our draw system is very similar to a raffle, in that your name goes in the hopper just like everyone else. Depending on your # of preference points, you get more "raffle tickets" in the pot. But at least you still have a chance, even with a low number of points. I guess I just don't understand people that play the system, without knowing how it works, and then want to complain about it. Grow up! You want to talk about long odds, go buy a lottery ticket, or go pay for a deer lease! Pardon (tic), just had to get that off my chest.

It's even more amazing that you are either to stupid or perhaps unwilling to recognize that the system as it exists right now is a SCAM by TPWD... they essentially advertise $3 lottery tickets... 99.9999% of everyone in America will assume when they buy a ticket for a lottery, they get 1 chance to win and that everyone else is buying a ticket and getting that same one chance... not that their $3 ticket is worth one chance and someone else's ticket is worth 3,000 chances. This is TPWD abusing the common understanding that the general population has concerning a lottery/draw. That makes it a scam. It doesn't matter that they put an * somewhere and have some fine print explaining how your $3 ticket is actually worth less than other people's $3 ticket. If this was any private business, they'd be tagged in a heart beat for misleading, if not fraudulent, business practices.

This has nothing to do with money - I don't mind getting scammed out of a few hundred bucks. And me and my kids will just go one of many pieces of land we have in other states to hunt this year, we own plenty of acreage across the country, just nothing in Texas damnit - in the end, the money isn't a big deal. This is about getting scammed by the TPWD, that's it, nothing more and nothing less. Ultimately, I doubt they care about losing a few hundred bucks from every new applicant they never received money from before anyways, not buying into the scam next year. No big deal, I don't plan on making an issue over it with them. I got scammed, it's kind of funny to me. I'll shake my head for being dumb enough to get scammed, have a drink, and move on. But make no mistake, if the topic ever comes up in a conversation - I'll be sure to be telling people the TPWD system is a scam and not to participate.

So, if people complaining about being scammed by the TPWD amazes you... hell, let me show you how to make FIRE! ROFLMAO

*This is me, slapping you in the face with my big fat 1st amendment d$ck, for you complaining about other people complaining*

- Henry, latest victim of the TPWD scam

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8689607 09/17/22 04:29 AM
B
bassmastar34 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
im curious would you prefer the NM draw system no points but have to purchase the license and have as a non resident 300-1300 pending charge on your card till they do the draw? or Utah where it is $75 per application where if you do not have max points your odds of drawing are 0 and you have to take it on faith that eventually if you put in for the next 30 years everyone with max points will die and you will have a chance at a draw. i am not a fan of people complaining without at least providing some solutions. What would be a better system? How would you make it better? do you want all hunts first come first serve? true anything goes otc hunt areas in texas are over hunted to the point where it is a waste of time and dangerous. I wish ever species was readily available and everything was otc but the reality is that it is not possible to be so.

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: bassmastar34] #8689615 09/17/22 05:04 AM
H
HenryL Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by bassmastar34
im curious would you prefer the NM draw system no points but have to purchase the license and have as a non resident 300-1300 pending charge on your card till they do the draw? or Utah where it is $75 per application where if you do not have max points your odds of drawing are 0 and you have to take it on faith that eventually if you put in for the next 30 years everyone with max points will die and you will have a chance at a draw. i am not a fan of people complaining without at least providing some solutions. What would be a better system? How would you make it better? do you want all hunts first come first serve? true anything goes otc hunt areas in texas are over hunted to the point where it is a waste of time and dangerous. I wish ever species was readily available and everything was otc but the reality is that it is not possible to be so.

The first thing I'll say is that I didn't propose a solution because I thought it evident that the solution to a scam is to make it not a scam ROFLMAO.

Look, I'm not going to pretend I know about every state's draw system. Me and the kids almost exclusively hunt private land, usually our own land - I just thought it would be nice this year to not have to leave TX to hunt, so we gave the draws a go not realizing they were a scam. Nor am I going to say that other states aren't running a scam either - they could be - I would need to look at that on a state by state basis. All I'm saying is that if one person's $3 ticket is worth 1 chance, then EVERYONE's $3 ticket should be worth 1 chance. If you take $3 from one person and give them 1 chance but give someone else 3,000 chances for the same amount - that's just wrong on so many levels. Additionally, a scam run by one state can't be justified just because another state is also running a scam...from your description, it sounds like UT is running a scam too. If they want to keep fu$king people with this insane way the loyalty point system works - they could at least give every newbie applicant some lube. But to answer your specific question about NM - sure, I think most people would be happy to have no points and just have a pending charge on their card... hell, I'll just go ahead and pay the $1,300 up front. The money isn't the issue - it's about having FAIR and EQUAL footing with everyone else....

I personally think it should be 1 ticket, 1 chance... but I'm sure all the old geezers with 30 points will ensure that will never happen. In private business, when people rig a system to benefit the few, we call that corruption and that's exactly what has happened with the TPWD - the TPWD rigged the system to benefit a bunch of old geezers who have faithfully been funneling money to them for the longest period of time. Corruption bought and paid for, no question about it.

All that said, I think most people would be happy if they, at the very least, did one of the following: 1) broke up the hunts so that some hunts were solely 1 ticket, 1 chance, or 2) broke up each hunt so that a certain % were decided on a 1 ticket, 1 chance basis. Both of those methods allow the bought and paid for corruption to continue, while at the same time giving the newbies some lube before bending them over.

As I said previously though, it doesn't really matter - I don't plan on making an issue over it with them. Me and my kids got scammed, it's kind of funny to me. I'll shake my head for being dumb enough to get scammed, have a drink, and move on. But make no mistake, if the topic ever comes up in a conversation - I'll sure be telling people the TPWD system is a scam and not to participate. It's not a big deal - someone mentioned the draws, so me and my kids all signed up for 170ish of them without reading the fine print that essentially says "New applicants exist solely to be bent over and screwed by TPWD and the older applicants who have already paid us enough over the years to buy an actual chance at winning a hunt - a chance which is exponentially greater than that of the new applicant. Thanks for the donation dumbass" ROFLMAO. Our mistake, one that we won't make again.

Seriously, we're not the slightest bit mad about it. My postings here were just meant as a public finger to the scammers @ TPWD that other newbies might run across prior to getting scammed in the future. We've already laughed at the whole thing and we will probably all have a lot of laughs about it in the future as well...about that one year that we fell for the TX state sponsored TPWD scam. The old saying still holds true...never trust the government!

Last edited by HenryL; 09/17/22 05:52 AM.
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8689703 09/17/22 12:54 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I was a first time drawn hunt participant this year as well. Took me about 2 min on the TPWD site to understand how the draw works, what my money gets me, and how to look at hunting opportunities and understand my odds within those opportunities. I didn’t read any fine print. It’s literally in their “Getting Started” section and takes some pretty minimal reading comprehension.

Getting upset at not getting drawn, sure it happens in any state. Crying about not understanding a system you didn’t take the time to understand and then saying your going to gate keep others from participating based off your lack of knowledge is pretty immature and unsportsmanlike.

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8689759 09/17/22 02:49 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I've been putting in app's for the TPW Lottery System since the days of a printed catalog that came in the mail, sent by a nice lady secretary in Austin upon request. Still got some of those print catalogs filed away to win arguments with too. Was always jealous of a close friend & lease partner's years of experiences as an Elk Guide in Colorado & Wyoming, but talking to him was a learning curve about how things ran in other states that he had guided in.

Am I gonna quit sending $3 token gestures to Austin...not likely ...as long as I can pull a trigger. Last year I won a ticket to South LLano River SP again , after 21 years of putting in for a 2nd trip down there... but did not this year with all the construction still going on.

My only gritch as stated for the last 25+ years is I think TPW should use the same approach that the Texas Insurance License Board uses in giving non residents a Texas Insurance License....What ever the Out of State Applicant's home state uses for Texas residents, Texas mirrors for the out of State Applicant. IE What Goes Around ...goes around for the non resident Applicant also. Easy Peasy to keep up with too.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/17/22 02:54 PM. Reason: clarity

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8689915 09/17/22 07:05 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I don't understand the anger when no one twisted your arm to apply and the cards are on the table for all to see.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/loyalty-points.phtml
Every state's limited permit, special hunts, etc. has a different draw system with completely different rules that are constantly changing.

Some states and hunts use a lottery system where everyone has a single equal chance to draw.
Some states and hunts use a raffle system where you can buy as many chances as you can afford where each ticket has an equal chance to draw.
Some states and hunts use a true preference point system where you gain one point for each year you apply and those with the most points draw first each year.
Some states use a different preference point system where you gain one point for each year you apply, but like a raffle each point has an equal chance in the draw.
Some states and hunts use a loyalty system where points are multiplied to increase the odds for those loyal to the draw each year.
And so many variations of the above and more. Like first year applicants having more points, non resident restrictions or not allowed, minimum point total before your included in the draw, maximum point total, etc.

None is perfect for every person. It is each individual's own responsibility to research or read up on each state's or hunt's way of doing things in advance to decide for yourself if it is worth your donation for a chance to draw an opportunity to hunt. You can't just assume all are going to do it the way your think they should have done it or the way your state does it.

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8689917 09/17/22 07:12 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I refuse to put in for anything in New Mexico. Talk about anti-non-resident, even though Texans support a huge portion of that "Help me, I'm poor" state. I tried doing business in that state for years. They're lost and deserve everything that happens to them. Since we're bitchin'.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Creekrunner] #8689938 09/17/22 07:38 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I refuse to put in for anything in New Mexico. Talk about anti-non-resident, even though Texans support a huge portion of that "Help me, I'm poor" state. I tried doing business in that state for years. They're lost and deserve everything that happens to them. Since we're bitchin'.

The entire west is going to the <= 10 % NR cap. NM is essentially 16% if including OF’er pool. Over zealous Residents will kill hunting in their own states when NR money dries up. NM Is perfect example, 93% of all Sheep conservation money comes from out of state yet they want to eliminate the 4 NR sheep tags.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8689941 09/17/22 07:41 PM
C
cos Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
C
Got drawn after 31 years for GDE at Gene Howe. Going to enjoy a break from East Texas Hunting.

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: HenryL] #8689944 09/17/22 07:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by HenryL
Originally Posted by bassmastar34

The first thing I'll say is that I didn't propose a solution because I thought it evident that the solution to a scam is to make it not a scam ROFLMAO.

Look, I'm not going to pretend I know about every state's draw system. Me and the kids almost exclusively hunt private land, usually our own land - I just thought it would be nice this year to not have to leave TX to hunt, so we gave the draws a go not realizing they were a scam. Nor am I going to say that other states aren't running a scam either - they could be - I would need to look at that on a state by state basis. All I'm saying is that if one person's $3 ticket is worth 1 chance, then EVERYONE's $3 ticket should be worth 1 chance. If you take $3 from one person and give them 1 chance but give someone else 3,000 chances for the same amount - that's just wrong on so many levels. Additionally, a scam run by one state can't be justified just because another state is also running a scam...from your description, it sounds like UT is running a scam too. If they want to keep fu$king people with this insane way the loyalty point system works - they could at least give every newbie applicant some lube. But to answer your specific question about NM - sure, I think most people would be happy to have no points and just have a pending charge on their card... hell, I'll just go ahead and pay the $1,300 up front. The money isn't the issue - it's about having FAIR and EQUAL footing with everyone else....

I personally think it should be 1 ticket, 1 chance... but I'm sure all the old geezers with 30 points will ensure that will never happen. In private business, when people rig a system to benefit the few, we call that corruption and that's exactly what has happened with the TPWD - the TPWD rigged the system to benefit a bunch of old geezers who have faithfully been funneling money to them for the longest period of time. Corruption bought and paid for, no question about it.

All that said, I think most people would be happy if they, at the very least, did one of the following: 1) broke up the hunts so that some hunts were solely 1 ticket, 1 chance, or 2) broke up each hunt so that a certain % were decided on a 1 ticket, 1 chance basis. Both of those methods allow the bought and paid for corruption to continue, while at the same time giving the newbies some lube before bending them over.

As I said previously though, it doesn't really matter - I don't plan on making an issue over it with them. Me and my kids got scammed, it's kind of funny to me. I'll shake my head for being dumb enough to get scammed, have a drink, and move on. But make no mistake, if the topic ever comes up in a conversation - I'll sure be telling people the TPWD system is a scam and not to participate. It's not a big deal - someone mentioned the draws, so me and my kids all signed up for 170ish of them without reading the fine print that essentially says "New applicants exist solely to be bent over and screwed by TPWD and the older applicants who have already paid us enough over the years to buy an actual chance at winning a hunt - a chance which is exponentially greater than that of the new applicant. Thanks for the donation dumbass" ROFLMAO. Our mistake, one that we won't make again.

Seriously, we're not the slightest bit mad about it. My postings here were just meant as a public finger to the scammers @ TPWD that other newbies might run across prior to getting scammed in the future. We've already laughed at the whole thing and we will probably all have a lot of laughs about it in the future as well...about that one year that we fell for the TX state sponsored TPWD scam. The old saying still holds true...never trust the government!

If you aren’t educated in other states systems or even TX’s why even post? There are two things I think TX could do better

1) required a hunting license to apply
2) limit it too 3 choices per species regardless of weapon

Out side of that, I apply in 12 states and usual draw a few tags.

Beauty of the TX system is, it’s not a required to hunt in TX, there fore No one makes you have to apply. Also you always have a chance to draw if you do apply. Some of the Other states you won’t draw or have to enter draw for a chance to hunt..

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8690157 09/18/22 01:56 AM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Wow this got out of hand fast.

HenryL, you must not know the definition of a scam. If you give your money away without reading about what you’re buying, then that’s on you, not a scam. TPWD is very clear about the point system…..not by any means “fine print”. It’s a much better system than most states.

Like I stated on the first page, this is the second year I put in for lottery hunts. I’ve been drawn both years…one archery deer hunt and two waterfowl hunts. Not including my APH ($50 I think), I’ve invested less than $100 on the applications, for both years.

In my opinion, TPWD has done great things for wildlife. I don’t believe they’re trying to rip you off.

Congrats to everyone that gets to hunt land that has very limited access!

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8690449 09/18/22 07:03 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Checked my half dozen $3 app's a little after 12 noon... I don't why 'cause I don't believe I'll ever get drawn again for anything, at my age, but as my wife sez "you can afford to waste $3 a pop but you can't if you put in for every where you ever thought would be a fun place to look at....

So she sez ....it'd be mega cheaper to just drive thru the State Parks you want to see and look at the critters and you can take ALL the pictures to prove you were there , but you can't bring one of them critters home .... dead or alive either....so just go by Kroger to get some meat of some sort on the way home OK?

I keep reminding her that we are 4+ hours away from a GOOD grocery store like Whole Food's and I am sick and tired of WalMart, Kroger, Brookshires yadda yadda yadda or as she sez stop whining and go mow the yard, wash my car or something... and get outta MY Kitchen until I call you for dinner...
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/18/22 07:14 PM. Reason: clarity

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8690876 09/19/22 01:34 PM
J
J W M Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
WOW! I should have never started this! Did I open a can of worms, or what?
After seeing the immediate and violent reaction, I decided to just leave it alone. Brings 2 old sayings to mind, though:
Don't 'wrassle' with a pig. You'll both get muddy, and the pigs likes it!
A man persuaded against his will. is of the same opinion still.

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: J W M] #8691557 09/20/22 02:46 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Me and my brother drew gun deer either sex at Lake Mineral Wells SP.
Was there a few years back for a management hunt and killed a doe.

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: J W M] #8691938 09/20/22 06:15 PM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted by J W M
Some of the folks on here AMAZE me. So much talk about how horrible our draw system is and then when a lot of folks do get drawn, they start asking questions about the place they got drawn at. (Is this place any good, etc.) I see so many questions about when is "so and so" category drawn? How did you even apply? Did someone else do it for you? Look at the system, do your homework. The most desirable places get "tons" of interest & applications. If you're looking to "just get drawn", apply at the places that don't get many applications. As these drawings are very limited, you can expect to wait a while "normally" before you got a chance. But the good thing about this system, as compared to other states is that it does not go strictly off of points. I have been in the system for many years in Arizona, trying to draw a quality Elk tag. I know these things don't come easy, therefore, I'm going to have to wait. Here in Texas, at least our draw system is very similar to a raffle, in that your name goes in the hopper just like everyone else. Depending on your # of preference points, you get more "raffle tickets" in the pot. But at least you still have a chance, even with a low number of points. I guess I just don't understand people that play the system, without knowing how it works, and then want to complain about it. Grow up! You want to talk about long odds, go buy a lottery ticket, or go pay for a deer lease! Pardon (tic), just had to get that off my chest.

Right on the money. salute I have been putting in on the hunts for over 40 year. Back when you mailed a stack of postcards for the drawing that had to be there postmarked by the deadline. Had success and had disappointment. Some people need some cheese to go with their bitter whine. popcorn

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Double AC] #8692339 09/21/22 01:12 PM
S
SpoonPlatoon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Double AC Ranch
I was a first time drawn hunt participant this year as well. Took me about 2 min on the TPWD site to understand how the draw works, what my money gets me, and how to look at hunting opportunities and understand my odds within those opportunities. I didn’t read any fine print. It’s literally in their “Getting Started” section and takes some pretty minimal reading comprehension.

Getting upset at not getting drawn, sure it happens in any state. Crying about not understanding a system you didn’t take the time to understand and then saying your going to gate keep others from participating based off your lack of knowledge is pretty immature and unsportsmanlike.

Bingo!

[Linked Image]
Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8692467 09/21/22 03:53 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Could be that the $48 License & No $3 App Fee and a $0 Kill Fee is the best chance to score somewhere to go hunt.

DA me forgot all about it in August between several months of twice weekly Phy Therapy visits & Dr's poking ALL around me inside & out looking for new or growing nerve damage & blood clots from Shingles, when I bought this year's Hunting License.

Yes....Not nearly as many places to put in for but I like the Free $ App Fee & NO KILL FEE big Time.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/21/22 03:57 PM. Reason: clarity

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Sauerkraut] #8693276 09/22/22 05:23 PM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Sauerkraut
Wow this got out of hand fast.

HenryL, you must not know the definition of a scam. If you give your money away without reading about what you’re buying, then that’s on you, not a scam. TPWD is very clear about the point system…..not by any means “fine print”. It’s a much better system than most states.

Like I stated on the first page, this is the second year I put in for lottery hunts. I’ve been drawn both years…one archery deer hunt and two waterfowl hunts. Not including my APH ($50 I think), I’ve invested less than $100 on the applications, for both years.

In my opinion, TPWD has done great things for wildlife. I don’t believe they’re trying to rip you off.

Congrats to everyone that gets to hunt land that has very limited access!

up

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8693715 09/23/22 02:40 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Checked my 6 pending's after dinner and it still looks like somebody needs to give up planning on going anywhere this fall to do anything with a rifle except mebbe sell it. .

I must be getting REALLY OLD ...I totaly forgot about the APH drawings when in years past the APH put meat in the freezer. Oh Well .... Kroger's looking better and better or we can drive somewhere there's a Whole Food Store if I can one.

Stopped in Coffee City on 155 south of Tyler on the way home from chasing Resale merchandise in Flint and that Brookshires is something to see clean & well stocked...just the prices are a little more than I like. Need to go back to Corsicana again soon to grocery shop.
Ron

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Creekrunner] #8694362 09/23/22 11:58 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

My exact take on New Mexico. Blue state.

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8694629 09/24/22 01:53 PM
N
NDN98 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Completely struck out on this one.

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: Erny] #8694761 09/24/22 06:13 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Dunno how accurate this is, Google is driving me nutz bigtime for the last hour+ .....but somewhere in todays Palestine or Tyler newspaper or could even be on TPW's APH list of places to hunt .....I saw a blurb I cannot re locate .....there was a notice somewhere this morning that TPW was going to do some brush fire spots to clear brush at Gus Engling. mebbe to get some green growth before deer season?

I live 30/45+ minutes from the Gus if the Smokies are not lined up around the Cayuga School's on Hwy 287 but - I have not /will not ever put in to hunt there from the locals tales ofsome of the hunts there. I will however try for a standby at Fairfield this year though, after having some friendly conversations in years past with Staff.

FYI for those folks who care and don't know it the State of Texas is going to drop their Lease of the Fairfield property according to former local EE's & the local Newspaper. The Local speculation is that the property will be turned into a high end home development kinda like Lake Athens....only on a bigger scale with their own electric power generators. Wish we'd bought at Lake Athens 6-+ years ago before it sold out ...Snooze Ya Looze !

FWIW There is a Gus Engling warden/game mgr ? who lives 2 house's down from me that in his 5+ years of living there has never spoken to me even when I was walking my dog in the mornings in front of his house when he was leaving for work....but you can certainly hear his white Dodge Diesel pickup work thru the gears when he hits the Loop for 10-15+ minutes going west just 1 1/2 blocks away like it was in your own drive way. Good Luck at the Gus Ya'll.
Ron

Re: Big Draw Deadline Today [Re: sqiggy] #8695414 09/25/22 03:51 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Sqiggy, I used to put in every year at Lake Mineral Wells, back when the prison was still being used as a prison, and scored a tag about half the time. A little scary if you go behind the prison by going around the south side of the bldg...right past the watch tower that was always manned in those days 24/7 by a guy with a AR looking rifle staring at you in the 5am darkness. In those days the blinds were accessed by going thru some locked gates and into the old live firing range that had never been cleared of live ammo.

In those days the hunting area was also blessed with some leased ground way past the north east side of the lake - look for a map on line -and backed up to the creek above the lake itself. 3 things have changed big time & not to the better IMO. The area south of the locked gates of the old firing range target area outside of the 8' tall fences had blinds that were perched up on top of the sand stone cliffs and you could see to shoot on the west side of the firing range pastures...that had been hand corned by Staff. I never went skunked for a couple years where I'm talking about. & even more better was the leased pasture on the NEast side of the Lake with real honkers wandering thru if you buried yourself in some of the heavy brush spots and could still see 2-300 yards to the west, but the best blind was facing north about 4-500 yards away facing north. I watched a monster 10 pointer for almost 45 minutes browsing the creek side at an estimated 300+ yards and just could not pull the trigger on him at that distance with having to take the shot offhand. Was told that last hunt that the rancher had leased to property to some other folks.

Last time hunted there was umm 4 years ago and I wound up on the last day of the hunt on the far north end facing a trail to a barbed wire fence 300 hundred yards away that is the Property Line to the open to the Public Park. I called it a day on that last trip when 7-8 carloads of family groups came over the fence and began to look for artifact's as close as under a 100 yards from my blind. I finally got out of the blind A BIG NONO and stood in top to bottom Hunter Orange in front of my blind and waving my hat at them while holding the rifle at Port Arms over my shoulder...and some of them still kept coming headed in my direction. I finally found the phone # to the Hunt HQ and got somebody to call somebody else who chased all the Public off the Lake Mineral Wells Park's property.

I'll go back someday when I can rest assured of better conditions. I will say this too, the blinds on this last hunt were in super condition and not just a wire panel with johnson grass and a few tree limbsin front of in it.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/25/22 03:56 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide