Forums46
Topics537,031
Posts9,719,619
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease #8687886 09/14/22 11:25 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
As we get close to archery season and with many still looking to secure a Lease, thought I'd put this out. No doubt about it, demand for leasing in TX right now likely exceeds the supply resulting in fewer opportunities and fairly high $$$$ for those opportunities. Not sure where this may be in another 5-10 years but if you are on an existing lease or own property, hold on to either of those. I still profess that the best way to get on a lease is via an extensive friend, acquaintance network with said fully knowing your affinity to hunt and game manage. Likely helping one's prospects is to not be a douche around said friends and acquaintances, often folks won't give a 2nd shot after fostering a first, lasting impression. Make yourself that good, fun guy folks want to be around!

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8687908 09/14/22 11:57 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Good input, but if you can swing it buy your own place and answer to no one.
Too many bad ending stories with people being on a lease for years and they get the boot for no reason.

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: angus1956] #8687919 09/15/22 12:28 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by angus1956
Good input, but if you can swing it buy your own place and answer to no one.
Too many bad ending stories with people being on a lease for years and they get the boot for no reason.

Yep.

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8687921 09/15/22 12:32 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
there are awesome leases out there - getting on the right one is the trick - your post is dead on - be a good guy who helps out around camp and follows whatever the rules are

First step is to define what type of lease you want? Meat lease with deer to shoot, bring family and friends, and laid back. Not worried about heavy management - let's all just enjoy ourselves and have fun. This lease is typically a much lower price and may be out of the way (deep west Texas, etc) Nothing at all wrong with this type of set up - I was on some through the years and it was fun.

OR

I want to hunt a lease with good management and defined rules. Goal is to shoot my best buck ever. Want to take family or guest but it is limited as to how many people one member can have tag along. Typically will cost more money but much higher chance of shooting a trophy deer. This lease will be most likely in South Texas. But if you want 160 inch to 200 inch bucks you have to pay for it. It is what it is.

You are correct in that knowing a friend who is on a good lease is the best way for you to get on. However there are opportunities out there every day - you have to be relentless in checking on the hunting forums and websites like Leasehunter.com

You can't fix stupid
Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8687923 09/15/22 12:35 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Facts of the game:

Demands exceed supply. Its only going to get worse.

Lease hunting as we know it for whitetail deer in Texas will largely go away in the foreseeable future. Guests and invites of the landowners and outfitting will be the way of the future if one does not own land.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8688140 09/15/22 01:26 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I've been on multiple leases over the many years of hunting. Several of our good leases we were on for a long time we lost because the property sold. We've added many hunters over the years, and kicked off a few also. We work closely with our land owner and land manager. We've had some issues of us hunters being blamed for leaving gates open, when our oil guys left them open. We try to go above and beyond keeping the land owner and land manager happy with us. We've made some road improvements and keep the roads passable with tree trimming and such. So it helps when the land owner seeing you doing stuff. But you can get that call anytime that the property sold or the older land owner died and the kids want you off.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8688164 09/15/22 01:49 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
I will add to my original post, "never, never ever underestimate the value of discussing, talking up hunting with other complete strangers, fellow hunters". I've been offered no less than 5 opportunities to join existing leases in the Throckmorton & Young counties area over the years by simply sparking up friendly conversation about hunting over lunch, dinner at local restaurants, feed stores, Walmarts in those areas. Like minded/interested individuals tend to get along well.

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: tlk] #8688167 09/15/22 01:57 PM
D
DukeCigars Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tlk
there are awesome leases out there - getting on the right one is the trick - your post is dead on - be a good guy who helps out around camp and follows whatever the rules are

This has done me well. Now on the second year on my first lease…I won’t sit around and watch a man labor without helping (unless it’s how he earns his money, but sometimes even then). I just jumped in helping with whatever I could around camp or helping out tossing corn etc. Amazing how quickly the help came back around. One thing about my lease I love is that money doesn’t change hands. And nobody will really ask you a favor, but if you help them and you need something done or help, sometimes it just magically seems to get done. I’ve heard lots of horror stories of leases as well, so hopefully mine stays around for a while. We have a great camp site and the camp area is owned by a family who has like 40 acres with a well site on it, the service road splits the camp in half…so I’m figuring as long as the family is getting paid their money from the oil man (and it’s not a pump jack, it’s a pump station with tanks that get emptied regularly) and get our rent check from the club…I’m figuring we should be good

Car guy. Serial entrepreneur. Terrible golfer.
Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8688183 09/15/22 02:14 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I was on the other side of this discussion this season. I have several spots open and really had to dig through the weeds to find the 'right guys' to add to the group. Still would take a couple more good guys.

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: HuntnFly67] #8688243 09/15/22 03:53 PM
F
fishbait Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
Where is this lease? How much? How many acres and total hunters ?

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: HuntnFly67] #8688428 09/15/22 09:41 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
I was on the other side of this discussion this season. I have several spots open and really had to dig through the weeds to find the 'right guys' to add to the group. Still would take a couple more good guys.

I agree - the lease I ran for 13 years in STex would have an opening and I would spend a large amount of time sifting through different hunters to find the ones who fit our group and our management plan. Funny how over time I could tell pretty quickly if they were a fit or not just by the questions they asked and how they answered my questions. I would even do background checks - one wrong person on a lease and it can ruin a season for everyone

Last edited by tlk; 09/15/22 09:41 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: tlk] #8688442 09/15/22 09:58 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by HuntnFly67

I agree - the lease I ran for 13 years in STex would have an opening and I would spend a large amount of time sifting through different hunters to find the ones who fit our group and our management plan. Funny how over time I could tell pretty quickly if they were a fit or not just by the questions they asked and how they answered my questions. I would even do background checks - one wrong person on a lease and it can ruin a season for everyone

Oh so True.

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: txtrophy85] #8688474 09/15/22 10:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Facts of the game:

Lease hunting as we know it for whitetail deer in Texas will largely go away in the foreseeable future. Guests and invites of the landowners and outfitting will be the way of the future if one does not own land

Outfitters have exact same issues that lease bosses and land owners have. My money is green mentality turns a “privilege” into a “right” mind set

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8688556 09/16/22 12:16 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Facts of the game:

Lease hunting as we know it for whitetail deer in Texas will largely go away in the foreseeable future. Guests and invites of the landowners and outfitting will be the way of the future if one does not own land

Outfitters have exact same issues that lease bosses and land owners have. My money is green mentality turns a “privilege” into a “right” mind set

yep

You can't fix stupid
Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8688583 09/16/22 12:47 AM
S
sbushee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I’m on a lease with a great group of guys, lots of deer, and amenities. It seems like will always struggle to fill the 10th spot.

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8688665 09/16/22 02:03 AM
K
kkfish Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
I’ve got away from the club lease deal. It’s just not worth it anymore and is headed to what u alls normal prices are. Pretty soon here 4 or 5 grand will be the norm to hunt 2 to 4 thousand acre clubs. I just ain’t gonna do it. I’ll buy a little before I do that. I’m older and also ain’t mad at them anymore. Lotta clubs here won’t let them grow to be a shooter is another big factor.

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8688712 09/16/22 03:07 AM
U
Ungawa Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
What exactly is a hunting climb? How does it work? I have always hunter leases.

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: Ungawa] #8688805 09/16/22 11:38 AM
U
Ungawa Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
U
Originally Posted by Ungawa

Sorry meat to say “club”?

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: Ungawa] #8688865 09/16/22 12:53 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Sorry meat to say “club”?

Same thing different term

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8688919 09/16/22 01:46 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Years ago, there was an American Sportsmans Club I think the name was. I had a friend in it. It sounded to me to me that it worked kind of like a "time share" works. You paid an annual fee and you put in for the places you wanted to hunt. If memory serves me right, it finally dissolved after pissing members off about no animals to hunt and landowners off with the way things were run.

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8688924 09/16/22 01:49 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
the "hunting clubs" are still around - I run across them every so often. Most all the feedback I have ever heard about them is not good. Too many people with too little access for too much money

You can't fix stupid
Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: DQ Kid] #8688951 09/16/22 02:13 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
It's a situation that has led to an increasing number of hunters purchasing very small tracts that are far too incapable of supporting the number of deer taken off them. Of course, the relative ease in which deer can be harvested in Texas comes into play as well in terms of overall cost to participate in the sport. People are far more willing to pay a premium when the chances for success are so great.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/16/22 02:19 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: Texas Dan] #8688960 09/16/22 02:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Try using google any time you have a thought you want to talk about, in your case just google the opposite of what you are thinking… you have a higher tendency to be right that way

Deer populations in all but one area are trending UP over past 20+ years, the one area that is not is STX and it’s on a up down cycle that equates to flat, most likely due to larger ranches and more intense management, as there are great equalizing dips after heavy recruitment/moisture years

Population trends

Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: tlk] #8688971 09/16/22 02:38 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by tlk

There are three things in this world that can make an otherwise gentle man's attitude and demeanor change in instant. Alcohol, women, and firearms.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/16/22 02:39 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Future of Lease Hunting and Best Way to Secure a Lease [Re: don k] #8688984 09/16/22 02:48 PM
B
bronco71 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by don k
Years ago, there was an American Sportsmans Club I think the name was. I had a friend in it. It sounded to me to me that it worked kind of like a "time share" works. You paid an annual fee and you put in for the places you wanted to hunt. If memory serves me right, it finally dissolved after pissing members off about no animals to hunt and landowners off with the way things were run.

Several friends and I were members near the beginning of that club and it was great then if you were flexible on which ranch you wanted to hunt. They had a lot of large ranches leased in Texas and some out of state also. Lease reservations would fill up fast for the weekends, especially on the preferred leases, but we could go "on call" and always get a spot somewhere by Thursday due to cancellations. Always had great success filling tags but the only real trophy ranches in south Texas had a premium daily charge added due to the extra cost of those leases. Early on it was still a good deal but after a few years the dues were increasing and too many members were added making it harder to get on a lease for a weekend hunt. Later it was learned that club staff were spending huge amounts of time on the 2 or 3 trophy ranches making it almost impossible to book a reservation and the club folded shortly after that.

Several years and several regular leases later we got tired of the lease hassle and long drives and bought our own place 1.5 hours away from home and have been much happier ever since...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide