Print Thread
Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? #8686704 09/13/22 12:37 AM
S
scot Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I drive through a neighborhood each day on my way home that is completely overrun by deer. It’s not unusual to see well over 100 deer on less than a mile stretch of road surrounded by houses.

If they do relocate deer, how can I get them to drop them off on my property as I have a rather low deer population?

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8686710 09/13/22 12:40 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Pay for it yourself.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8686726 09/13/22 12:49 AM
B
Bowhunter 64 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
B
I live in the Willow park area and it’s like that every day. It’s nice to watch them while relaxing on the patio.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: Bowhunter 64] #8686757 09/13/22 01:42 AM
S
scot Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Bowhunter 64
I live in the Willow park area and it’s like that every day. It’s nice to watch them while relaxing on the patio.

Haha. It’s crazy. Makes me sad when I can drive over there by Mary Martin and the lake and see 50-25 deer then drive out to Santo and not see a deer on multiple hunts.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8686863 09/13/22 08:35 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Got the same thing here in New Barnflies

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8687093 09/13/22 03:51 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The took alot of deer from Hollywood park several years back and transported them to Mexico IIRC.

Unless something changed recently the TTT program has been suspended indefinitely....so they won't grant a permit to trap and transport

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8687099 09/13/22 04:03 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Quite a few years ago I leased a place for cattle. The owners lived in the Dominion in San Antonio. The TPWS was trapping WT there. The folks wanted to know if I wanted any deer from there and gave me a packet of papers to fill out. After looking at it I said no thanks.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: don k] #8687138 09/13/22 05:02 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by don k
Quite a few years ago I leased a place for cattle. The owners lived in the Dominion in San Antonio. The TPWS was trapping WT there. The folks wanted to know if I wanted any deer from there and gave me a packet of papers to fill out. After looking at it I said no thanks.

Can’t speak to the dominion but I’ve seen some good bucks come out of Hollywood Park and Hill Country Village.

I wouldn’t have minded having some of those genetics

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8687183 09/13/22 06:11 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
I think about 10 + years ago one of those Austin suburbs or a town just to the West of them I think it is Lakeway hired a company to trap and remove deer.
They then took the deer to a processor somewhere else for butchering and there has been an ongoing stink with the PETA type folks.

Last edited by Stub; 09/13/22 06:12 PM.

texas flag

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8687350 09/13/22 11:06 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
When I was on a lease south of Ozona, the old man that ran the property knew a fella that trapped deer out of Austin. Maybe San Antone, too. Don’t remember. He would get a trailer full from him, every now and then, and turn them loose out there. He’d tag them, first, and I shot a doe with one of those tags. She was tagged 11 years before I shot her.

I believe he payed the trapper for the deer, but I’m not sure how all that worked.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: txtrophy85] #8687354 09/13/22 11:08 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
The took alot of deer from Hollywood park several years back and transported them to Mexico IIRC.

Unless something changed recently the TTT program has been suspended indefinitely....so they won't grant a permit to trap and transport

Could be that they were headed to Mexico and the fella we leased from made a back door deal to cut the trip short.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8687372 09/13/22 11:50 PM
W
Whammer7 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Wrapped in butcher paper or just vacuum sealed in plastic bags?

"Sometimes, too much to drink is barely enough"

Mark Twain
Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8687603 09/14/22 01:25 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
they used to do a annual trapping / removal in Sun City west of Georgetown. They used to also do similar in Lakeway NW from Austin. They would set up these huge nets and corn underneath until the deer got used to coming in, then yank the perimeter poles to let the net drop on top of the deer. load them in a big trailer and transport elsewhere... if memory serves me, it was somewhere in east TX where populations were low.

then some of the neighbors saw what all was going on, deer "screaming" and a number were lost in transport due to shock, etc. ... and they shut it all down. A few years later, they did the same thing but took the deer to a processor(s) to provide food to homeless shelters, under privileged families, etc.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: PMK] #8687610 09/14/22 01:36 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by PMK
they used to do a annual trapping / removal in Sun City west of Georgetown. They used to also do similar in Lakeway NW from Austin. They would set up these huge nets and corn underneath until the deer got used to coming in, then yank the perimeter poles to let the net drop on top of the deer. load them in a big trailer and transport elsewhere... if memory serves me, it was somewhere in east TX where populations were low.

then some of the neighbors saw what all was going on, deer "screaming" and a number were lost in transport due to shock, etc. ... and they shut it all down. A few years later, they did the same thing but took the deer to a processor(s) to provide food to homeless shelters, under privileged families, etc.

the TTT program has been suspended due to CWD but the TTP program (Where the deer is processed) is still allowed.

They just didn’t want to transport live deer anymore due to the CWD concerns, per the state.

Sad, I was a big fan of the TTT program and stocked many ranches with it.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: PMK] #8687619 09/14/22 01:56 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by PMK

A buddy of mine had a place in Chester that had some hill country deer put on it to help repopulate the area.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: Stub] #8687669 09/14/22 03:23 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Stub
I think about 10 + years ago one of those Austin suburbs or a town just to the West of them I think it is Lakeway hired a company to trap and remove deer.
They then took the deer to a processor somewhere else for butchering and there has been an ongoing stink with the PETA type folks.

Yep...that was in Lakeway in about 2002 or so. They were eaten up with deer. The city voted to close the park (huge park) during bow season and allow bow hunters to thin the herd. City council overrode the vote and opted for trapping/relocation. Lots more deer died from broken legs and necks than bow hunters could have ever taken out, so I guess they got the desired result, in an unsavory manner, and it did raise a stink.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8687688 09/14/22 04:08 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Same thing here in Georgetown in Sun City a few years back. TPWD came in and trapped them. All the California transplants got upset when they found out they weren't being relocated but euthanized instead.

I figure they were relocated, it was just relocated to deer heaven.

Now they are fighting to keep TPWD from doing it again. Guess it's better to just have them get hit by cars, starve, attract coyotes, etc...

[Linked Image]
Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8690035 09/17/22 10:19 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Horseshoe Bay has trappers come in every year to trap deer. They set out 6 or 7 drop nets starting around November. The nets are dropped by remote control. A pickup with a livestock trailer arrives and they load up the deer. Bucks will have their horns cut off by a saw as the antlers are sold by the pound. The deer are taken to a processer to be processed and donated to soup kitchens in the area. Because of CWD the deer can't be released unless they are tested on the hoof but from my understanding it's cost prohibitive. As for what the trappers charge, $2,500 per net and I think $200 per head. The trappers, by contract, will remove 600 deer and then take the nets down. It's a never ending process, there are so many deer here you can't tell 600 are missing. It just creates a vacuum.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: txtrophy85] #8693749 09/23/22 04:09 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Can’t speak to the dominion but I’ve seen some good bucks come out of Hollywood Park and Hill Country Village.

I hunted on Camp Bullis back in the late 80's and early 90's and the Dominion backed up to the Bullis property and there was nothing but an old broken down barbed wire fence separating the properties. The builders (laborers) were hunting the Dominion that was still wild and didn't have any homes yet built there, and the high chainlink fence was still several years away from completion.
They had a problem with trespassers crossing over the old fence and stealing of feeders and blinds was common on the Bullis side.
Those deer had some trophy potential and very high genetics.
I took a buck back there with my bow that scored 158 P&Y in 1992, and saw several bucks that would score higher than that!
You should have taken them up on the offer Don!

This one was taken on Bullis in 2004.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jimbo; 09/23/22 04:48 AM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: Jimbo] #8693815 09/23/22 12:03 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Jimbo

I hunted on Camp Bullis back in the late 80's and early 90's and the Dominion backed up to the Bullis property and there was nothing but an old broken down barbed wire fence separating the properties. The builders (laborers) were hunting the Dominion that was still wild and didn't have any homes yet built there, and the high chainlink fence was still several years away from completion.
They had a problem with trespassers crossing over the old fence and stealing of feeders and blinds was common on the Bullis side.
Those deer had some trophy potential and very high genetics.
I took a buck back there with my bow that scored 158 P&Y in 1992, and saw several bucks that would score higher than that!
You should have taken them up on the offer Don!

This one was taken on Bullis in 2004.
[Linked Image]

The largest Buck WT Deer I have ever seen alive was on North West Military Drive before Camp Bullis many moons ago when you could still drive through Camp Bullis to get to IH 10

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8693920 09/23/22 02:07 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
That area from Camp Bullis all the way south past 1604 down thru Hollywood park is the drainage of the "Panther Creek". Those deer in that area have some great genetics that have produced many trophy deer over the years.
Here is another picture of that buck.
It's a darned shame development has taken it over, but they call it progress! [Linked Image]

Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: scot] #8693974 09/23/22 03:26 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I wonder what the deer density ratio is inside camp bullis? I’ve lived in the area since 2005 and have not seen many deer inside the fence either along blanco road or 3351.

My thought is perhaps a low deer density is a contributing factor inside the fence to that large of a deer I hunted a ranch for 3 seasons that was real dang close to Bullis on the north side and deer were stunted in both body and antler size, but was proportional, so if the deer had been 50 lbs heavier keeping the same proportions would have killed some nice bucks.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: txtrophy85] #8694155 09/23/22 07:36 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I wonder what the deer density ratio is inside camp bullis? I’ve lived in the area since 2005 and have not seen many deer inside the fence either along blanco road or 3351.

My thought is perhaps a low deer density is a contributing factor inside the fence to that large of a deer I hunted a ranch for 3 seasons that was real dang close to Bullis on the north side and deer were stunted in both body and antler size, but was proportional, so if the deer had been 50 lbs heavier keeping the same proportions would have killed some nice bucks.

Camp Bullis has it's own biologist that monitor the deer populations, but until about the mid nineties and earlier there was very little urbanization of the surrounding properties. the post was mostly low fenced, and deer were able to come and go across the fences from blanco road, I10 and north to the Cibolo creek and south to 1604.
There was no Stone Oak or Rim shopping center.
I was on my way one morning to go hunt on Bullis and I rounded the corner from 281N to 1604 west onto the access road and right where what is now the Walmart driveway there stood the biggest buck that probably scored 150+ right on the side of the pavement and I almost hit it.
I also hunted north of Camp Bullis years ago and toward Boerne, where you had the more common "hill country" type deer known for small body size and antlers.
So it's probably more due to poor management and lack of age and over hunting in most areas.
Bullis was like that back before they started to manage more strickly, and they had a if it's brown it's down policy back before any type of management of the property got serious.
The serious management didn't start until about the early eighties from what I understand from talking to the old timers.
Proper management, and letting the deer get age on them is what counts since the genetics are there!

As a side note, Bullis cleared a lot of land from cedar, and they no longer allow feeders, corn or protein and lean more toward natural browse for the deer population.
It's also a 27000 acre pen and no longer can deer travel freely so the numbers need to be monitored.
I quit hunting there after about 20 years of doing so, and that was up until the 2000's, and from what I've seen and heard it ain't near as good as it used to be, but it's still a heck of a place to hunt if you qualify.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: Jimbo] #8694178 09/23/22 08:03 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I was on my way one morning to go hunt on Bullis and I rounded the corner from 281N to 1604 west onto the access road and right where what is now the Walmart driveway there stood the biggest buck that probably scored 150+ right on the side of the pavement and I almost hit it.

The first real estate office I worked at, there was a gentleman who worked there with us whose Dad owned a ranch where the current Wal-Mart is located now. There was a set of gathering pens where the store sits, they used to round up cattle there in the 60's, said it was pretty far out in the country at that time.

Re: Does TPWD ever relocate urban deer? [Re: txtrophy85] #8694498 09/24/22 03:47 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

The first real estate office I worked at, there was a gentleman who worked there with us whose Dad owned a ranch where the current Wal-Mart is located now. There was a set of gathering pens where the store sits, they used to round up cattle there in the 60's, said it was pretty far out in the country at that time.

Yep, remember it well! Everything north of 410 and the airport was nothing but cow pastures and sheep and goats. cheers

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide