On September 8, 2022, DU provided science-based information to USDA APHIS to advise their decision to revise import restrictions, while maintaining strong measures to prevent the spread of highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI). Under the new restrictions, unprocessed hunter-harvested wild game bird carcasses, originating from or transiting Canada, must meet the following conditions:
• Viscera, head, neck, feet, skin, and one wing have been removed; and
• Feathers have been removed, with the exception of one wing, as required by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) for species identification; and
• Carcasses must be rinsed in fresh, clean, potable water prior to packaging and must not have visible evidence of contamination with dirt, blood, or feces; and
• Carcasses must be imported in leak-proof plastic packaging and stored in a leak-proof cooler or container during transport and import; and
• Carcasses must be chilled or frozen during transport and import.
“We appreciate USDA’s willingness to hear the concerns from DU and revise this rule in a practical and scientific manner,” said DU CEO Adam Putnam. “This revision is not only a win for American waterfowlers but also for the application of sound science. Now, waterfowlers who’ve already departed north of the Canadian border have clear guidance on how to limit the spread of HPAI and bring their harvested game birds back into the U.S. safely.”
LEARN MORE: https://www.ducks.org/.../du-helps-reverse-import-ban-of...
So when they fly into the US the problem magically disappear’s? That’s really Cool! I know I had to wear a mask going through Canada and on Air Canada, what’s going on up there?
Yep , The birds can fly down at will, but dont bring a harvested bird down, the experts over reacting as usual, but common sense is bunk, so USDA might be using Fauci as thier guy too
Ducks Unlimited President Chuck Smith
Big win for our American waterfowlers. Big win for all of Team DU. Special thanks to our dedicated team of scientists!
All the science based information they should need is that, well, birds fly..
Mike Brasher is Sound Science.
No evidence of blood?
How’s that work, they always have some blood on them no matter how good you rinse them off.