texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
rbljack, nate325, Kaleb.mayfield, BantyRooster97, natemoreno
70578 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,645
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 64,148
stxranchman 60,286
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
BMD 41,241
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics616,297
Posts11,413,839
Members85,578
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs #8682562 09/07/22 03:46 AM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 299
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 299
Hello everyone.

I live in Houston Texas and would like to bring my wife and daughter with me hunting for the first time ever. This will be my 3rd time hunting.

Can you please recommend some very fancy or high quality lodging places I can bring my wife and daughter for

1. Whitetail deer hunting in Texas
2. Hog Hunting
3. High quality lodging. My wife and daughter would like somewhere fancy.
4. Prepared meals for guest
5. Quality services
6. Great landscape for the wife and daughter to view while I go hunt deer and hog.

My budget is open.

Thank you so much for the recommendations.

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 09/07/22 03:46 AM.
Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8682608 09/07/22 10:59 AM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,128
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,128
Something like this? https://jlbar.com

Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8682840 09/07/22 03:59 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 9,661
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 9,661
You can do a search and find many top notch Whitetail hunting operations in TX for exactly what you are looking for.
Just make sure to check the places out fully and ask for references.

If you truly have an 'open budget' the sky is the limit for your hunt.


High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8682866 09/07/22 04:29 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 7,874
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 7,874
I have always wanted to go here. It isn't close to Houston, but maybe that is a good thing.

https://greystonecastle.com/texas-exotic-hunts/


Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8682891 09/07/22 05:10 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 29,986
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 29,986
J. Bar L is very nice and checks all those boxes. Truly a “resort-style” hunting ranch.


For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8682899 09/07/22 05:28 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 7,818
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 7,818
Contact Haiden with South Texas Hunting Outfitters, he runs hunts at some pretty nice ranches. As some would say, "there wasn't a blade of grass out of place."


It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8682908 09/07/22 05:41 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,354
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,354
Wife and I went to JL Bar earlier this year. Not to hunt, but just as a getaway. Did some skeet shooting, UTV rides, horseback riding, spa, etc.

It's nice for a hunting location but I wouldn't call it fancy or luxury. The "cabins" are really more like a motel, albeit a very nice motel, but not worth even half the nightly rate. The food is good, but not great. When we were there, you had a couple of breakfast & lunch options, but dinner was whatever they were cooking that night. It was good, but not outstanding. One night was a buffet, one was fajitas, etc.

The bars were good and pool was great. The service and the people working there were OUTSTANDING. Super nice and went out of their way to take care of you at all times, even when you told them they didn't need to do that.

I wouldn't not recommend going there, we really liked it, but it was overpriced for what it was. I've never done a guided deer hunt with lodging and all so don't really know how this compares there, but I've been to lodges for duck and pheasant hunts that made this place look like a Hilton Garden Inn.

Again, it's nice, but if your wife wants Ritz Carlton type accommodations and a 4 or 5 star restaurant, this ain't it.


[Linked Image]
Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Sewer rat] #8682937 09/07/22 06:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 299
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Something like this? https://jlbar.com

Hello Sewer rat,

Thank you so much. Have you heard, read or experience great things about https://jlbar.com ?

Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8682967 09/07/22 06:27 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,128
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,128
I have not personally been there. I heard others talking about it and checked out their website. It looks fancy. I don't have firsthand knowledge of it but looks like others who have posted do.

Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8683278 09/08/22 02:49 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,653
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,653


You only think antivirus keeps you safe
Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8683676 09/08/22 08:07 PM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 299
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I have always wanted to go here. It isn't close to Houston, but maybe that is a good thing.

https://greystonecastle.com/texas-exotic-hunts/


Thank you Double Naught Spy

Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Gumbeaux] #8683678 09/08/22 08:11 PM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 299
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
Wife and I went to JL Bar earlier this year. Not to hunt, but just as a getaway. Did some skeet shooting, UTV rides, horseback riding, spa, etc.

It's nice for a hunting location but I wouldn't call it fancy or luxury. The "cabins" are really more like a motel, albeit a very nice motel, but not worth even half the nightly rate. The food is good, but not great. When we were there, you had a couple of breakfast & lunch options, but dinner was whatever they were cooking that night. It was good, but not outstanding. One night was a buffet, one was fajitas, etc.

The bars were good and pool was great. The service and the people working there were OUTSTANDING. Super nice and went out of their way to take care of you at all times, even when you told them they didn't need to do that.

I wouldn't not recommend going there, we really liked it, but it was overpriced for what it was. I've never done a guided deer hunt with lodging and all so don't really know how this compares there, but I've been to lodges for duck and pheasant hunts that made this place look like a Hilton Garden Inn.

Again, it's nice, but if your wife wants Ritz Carlton type accommodations and a 4 or 5 star restaurant, this ain't it.



Hello Gumbeaux


https://jlbar.com/ Is this the place you and your wife went to? Thank you

Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8683712 09/08/22 08:38 PM
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,996
E
Eland Slayer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
E
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,996
There are plenty of "fancy" hunting places to pick from in Texas. A good place to start would be one of the Orvis endorsed properties: (I believe there are only 3 in the state)

Greystone Castle Sporting Club
https://greystonecastle.com/

Joshua Creek Ranch
https://www.joshuacreek.com/

Big Easy Ranch
https://www.bigeasyranch.com/


Here are a few other high-end ranches to consider:

OX Ranch
https://www.oxhuntingranch.com/

Recordbuck Ranch
https://www.recordbuck.com/

Champion Ranch
https://championranch.com/

Iron Game Ranch
https://www.irongameranch.com/

Star S Ranch
https://www.star-s-ranch.com/

Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8683742 09/08/22 09:20 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,354
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,354
Originally Posted by Goodo Texas Boy
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
Wife and I went to JL Bar earlier this year. Not to hunt, but just as a getaway. Did some skeet shooting, UTV rides, horseback riding, spa, etc.

It's nice for a hunting location but I wouldn't call it fancy or luxury. The "cabins" are really more like a motel, albeit a very nice motel, but not worth even half the nightly rate. The food is good, but not great. When we were there, you had a couple of breakfast & lunch options, but dinner was whatever they were cooking that night. It was good, but not outstanding. One night was a buffet, one was fajitas, etc.

The bars were good and pool was great. The service and the people working there were OUTSTANDING. Super nice and went out of their way to take care of you at all times, even when you told them they didn't need to do that.

I wouldn't not recommend going there, we really liked it, but it was overpriced for what it was. I've never done a guided deer hunt with lodging and all so don't really know how this compares there, but I've been to lodges for duck and pheasant hunts that made this place look like a Hilton Garden Inn.

Again, it's nice, but if your wife wants Ritz Carlton type accommodations and a 4 or 5 star restaurant, this ain't it.



Hello Gumbeaux


https://jlbar.com/ Is this the place you and your wife went to? Thank you




That's the place


[Linked Image]
Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8683768 09/08/22 10:02 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 243
G
George S Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
G
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 243
There is the 777 Ranch in Hondo.


Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius
Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Eland Slayer] #8686059 09/12/22 02:49 AM
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 299
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by Eland Slayer
There are plenty of "fancy" hunting places to pick from in Texas. A good place to start would be one of the Orvis endorsed properties: (I believe there are only 3 in the state)

Greystone Castle Sporting Club
https://greystonecastle.com/

Joshua Creek Ranch
https://www.joshuacreek.com/

Big Easy Ranch
https://www.bigeasyranch.com/


Here are a few other high-end ranches to consider:

OX Ranch
https://www.oxhuntingranch.com/

Recordbuck Ranch
https://www.recordbuck.com/

Champion Ranch
https://championranch.com/

Iron Game Ranch
https://www.irongameranch.com/

Star S Ranch
https://www.star-s-ranch.com/



Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

I love it. i will review each one

Re: High Quality Hunting for Locations for Deer and Hogs [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #8686077 09/12/22 03:25 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 29,986
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 29,986
I hunt at Joshua creek several time a year. Great place but not a lot for the wife to do if she’s not a hunter and doesn’t want to leave the property.


For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3