Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Which is the best [Re: freerange] #8676035 08/29/22 06:11 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by bigdavehunting
The best feeder hands down is out of Brady Texas. It is the Texas Wildlife supply 600 lb stand and fill. I cant believe that no one talked about this one. Since the price has gone up they now run 700. It is a metal hopper uses the timer, the eliminator spin plate and a solid varmint cage. Check it out It is a life time feeder.

I’m not familiar with it and I’m not saying it’s not a great feeder, but a lot on here don’t like the varmit cages cause they deflect the thrown corn so that it doesn’t sling as far. I feel it’s really helpful to spread the corn out so more deer can eat at same time. The plates seem to be preferred

I personally have had 3 or 4, I’m down to one and it is actually empty sitting at camp. Very well built but cage size is too small and corn piles up under it where deer can’t get to it. Also getting to the timer is pain staking. One I have left I raised 12”, made cage flush to legs and move bottom of cage up to the motor and relocated the guts to a box out-side on the side of bin. it’s works a lot better, but it’s only 600lbs capacity.

“Old timers” really rely on the eliminator plate to discourage varmints(they will toss the white plastic garment if not lubed), and the cage is more to protect control box from hogs. If they moved the timer guts to out side and varmint plates it would be worth the price. They have kept same design for 10 years now and haven’t evolved, but over all build quality is high. At one time at my buddies ranch we had 13.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Which is the best [Re: TLew] #8676362 08/29/22 05:42 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TLew
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Tlew is he actually getting to spinner or is he just getting corn off the bottom of the plate that didn’t spin all the way out?

Never mind I re-read you said didn’t think he was.

I’ve seen them stick hand in mine but it’s just the corn left on bottom plate.

That one he isn't, but I know they are getting corn out. Here's a daytime pic from last November to show the mess they made. There is no way that just comes off the plate, the feeder didn't malfunction, or anything else

[Linked Image]

Just like this Ramball 36 all feeders can pile up when you have coons. Because of the way the wildlife feeder is designed I have never had this problem

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8676381 08/29/22 06:07 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I am fixing my coon problem on my plate style feeders. I’ll report when the fix is done.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Which is the best [Re: freerange] #8678169 08/31/22 08:17 PM
Sidebuster Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Originally Posted by Sidebuster
The best feeder hands down is out of Brady Texas. It is the Texas Wildlife supply 600 lb stand and fill. I cant believe that no one talked about this one. Since the price has gone up they now run 700. It is a metal hopper uses the timer, the eliminator spin plate and a solid varmint cage. Check it out It is a life time feeder.

I am thinking about buying one of these. They have them here at a feed store in Argyle and they are made of 14 gauge metal. I am trying to order one without the timer and cage. They are really solid.

Keep us posted on buying without timer and cage.

Due to the change in fabrication, it would cost me the same. That makes no sense.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8678232 08/31/22 09:30 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Monday I moved an older ‘stand and fill’ type feeder to a new location, and filled it today. One problem with it is that it’s actually too tall to fill when standing alongside it, making it more of a fill from tractor bucket while standing on a stool. Problem 2 with it is that the eliminator plate long since has quit closing off as it should, so I had to put wire cloth around the cage, which never kept a squirrel or coon from getting the corn. So now the corn mostly falls straight down, which isn’t that big a problem. I’ll never buy another one of those.

My newer feeder, the Lamco Low and Throw, is a joy to use. Squirrels and coons can’t reach the spinner, which throws the corn in what must be a 40’ diameter spread. Easy to put corn in it, and the controls and solar panel are right on the side at waist height. A great unit.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Which is the best [Re: bigdavehunting] #8678395 09/01/22 01:33 AM
F
Frio Town Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
F
[/quote]
Just like this Ramball 36 all feeders can pile up when you have coons. Because of the way the wildlife feeder is designed I have never had this problem [/quote]
If you have never had that problem with your feeder, get ready cause it's just a matter of time!!

I have 7 of the Texas Wildlife feeders and a host of others. When I bought them years ago I had never heard of The Ramball feeders. I have rebuilt all 7 of the eliminator systems through time. I have had Ramball's feeders for I believe 4 years now. No problems at all and they sling the corn a LOT farther than the TWS feeders.

Another thing I like about Ramball's feeders is I bought the ones with the legs and not on skids. I raise cattle and have several big Brangus bulls that will knock over a TWS feeder in a heartbeat. For that reason I have to stake them down. They can't knock over Ramball's feeders!

I am not knocking TWS equipment. I have several of their 2,000 lb. protein feeders. They are the easiest to fill from a bulk wagon and with my rotational grazing when I am about 3 days from moving cattle into a different pasture, I close the big valve that fills the drops. Deer finish it off and cattle can't get to the feed.

Frio

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: Which is the best [Re: 603Country] #8678413 09/01/22 02:03 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by 603Country
Monday I moved an older ‘stand and fill’ type feeder to a new location, and filled it today. One problem with it is that it’s actually too tall to fill when standing alongside it, making it more of a fill from tractor bucket while standing on a stool. Problem 2 with it is that the eliminator plate long since has quit closing off as it should, so I had to put wire cloth around the cage, which never kept a squirrel or coon from getting the corn. So now the corn mostly falls straight down, which isn’t that big a problem. I’ll never buy another one of those.

My newer feeder, the Lamco Low and Throw, is a joy to use. Squirrels and coons can’t reach the spinner, which throws the corn in what must be a 40’ diameter spread. Easy to put corn in it, and the controls and solar panel are right on the side at waist height. A great unit.

603, Im curious to the point of doubting the Lamco can keep coons from reaching the spinner plate. I dont doubt that you and others think that but Im wondering how certain you can be. If you get a chance I really do wish you would measure from the edge of the spinner plate to the edge of the plates. I would also be curious how far it is between the bottom and top plate(looks farther than Bucees.) I know Hud and others have these and they seem very much top on the line but Im guessing they are not coon proof. From pics on line, they dont appear tall enough to keep coons from standing on hind legs.
By the way, I went by your place(kinda) twice today, will go by again tomorrow, Friday and twice Sunday. 4 hours each trip. No time to stop and I know yall are busy anyway.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8678421 09/01/22 02:26 AM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Frio Town---- I feel the reason I have not had this problem is because of the angle of the bottom of the feeder on the TWS. The deer, pigs and turkeys can get to the corn that falls straight down to where it does not build up like that under the ramball 36. I have had 3 of these feeders at least 2 seasons and then the oldest one for 4 seasons. I feel the quality of both feeders is equal and the reason I feel the tws is better is because it is 500 dollars less than the Ramball 36. I dont think theres anything wrong with the Ramball36 except the price in comparing these two feeders. If they were the same price or close to the same then it is a toss up and probably is still a toss up if 500 dollars doesnt matter to you. Well the special goes off today so the difference is now 400.

Last edited by bigdavehunting; 09/01/22 02:34 AM.

Re: Which is the best [Re: freerange] #8678912 09/01/22 07:49 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Freerange, I have pics of coons standing on their hind legs at the Low and Throw, so I know they can and do reach as far as they can between the upper and lower plates. My indication that they can’t reach the spinner is because I’m not seeing a major corn loss (as I did with other feeders I’ve had). And, I have many pics of coons eating off the ground when they wouldn’t if they could feed themselves at the feeder plates. There will always be some kernels of corn left on the plates after it pays off, so it seems they get those and then feed off the ground.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8679042 09/01/22 10:33 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
603, sounds like I need to get you a tape measure. I’ve measured a few coons arms and they are 10.5” to 11.25”. Most plate style feeders I’ve measured are 9.5” from spinner to edge of plate.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8679051 09/01/22 10:52 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’m not gonna argue about it. Until I have a problem, I don’t have a problem.

Re: Which is the best [Re: freerange] #8679262 09/02/22 03:07 AM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
603, sounds like I need to get you a tape measure. I’ve measured a few coons arms and they are 10.5” to 11.25”. Most plate style feeders I’ve measured are 9.5” from spinner to edge of plate.

Length of arm doesn’t matter when you consider that arm gets thicker closer to the shoulder. Just because the arm is longer, doesn’t mean they can reach that far in.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8679503 09/02/22 01:56 PM
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Does having the plate style feeders make the corn throw further or is just for critter prevention?

Re: Which is the best [Re: Sidebuster] #8679526 09/02/22 02:18 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Does having the plate style feeders make the corn throw further or is just for critter prevention?

I do know you don't want to be standing next to a Ramball feeder in shorts when the thing goes off.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Which is the best [Re: rickym] #8679643 09/02/22 05:00 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by rickym

Length of arm doesn’t matter when you consider that arm gets thicker closer to the shoulder. Just because the arm is longer, doesn’t mean they can reach that far in.

Many many pictures show their arms buried up to the chest. They have skinny arms.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Sidebuster] #8679657 09/02/22 05:17 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Presumably it does both. The normal varmit cages have many barriers that the corn deflects off of and slows the corn down and causes it to not go as far. The plates allow the corn to go as far as it can. I guess the plates could possibly help raise the trajectory to help it throw further but don’t know it that’s why it goes further.

Re: Which is the best [Re: freerange] #8681249 09/05/22 02:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Presumably it does both. The normal varmit cages have many barriers that the corn deflects off of and slows the corn down and causes it to not go as far. The plates allow the corn to go as far as it can. I guess the plates could possibly help raise the trajectory to help it throw further but don’t know it that’s why it goes further.

I would say my thoughts mirror. Avg distance is probably further because it’s more directed

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Which is the best [Re: bigdavehunting] #8682138 09/06/22 04:50 PM
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker

I think I'm going to buy one this week, does the corn throw far? I'm thinking about cutting the top of the cage out where the corn won't hit the cage. The cage will still protect motor, timer box and the eliminator plate will keep coons out. I think it will throw better that way.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide