Page 1 of 2 1 2
Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today #8675595 08/28/22 07:11 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Recent changes in state laws now permit you to use golf carts, UTV's and ATV's within your subdivision, given you purchase on Off Road license plate for them. The plate only costs $10 for the life of the vehicle, and of course you must obey all normal traffic laws like stopping for stop signs and giving hand signals when making turns. And perhaps needless to say, you must be a licensed driver.

My old Honda has been sitting idle all Spring and Summer (I've cranked maybe a couple of times just to make sure the battery was still hot) so I decided to ride it up to the front of the subdivision to fill the tank and a 2-1/2 gallon container to take the next time I go to the lease. Still some time before the season opener but I wanted to make sure it was ready to start hauling meat out of the woods.

Got just a few odd looks but that was about it. And after having checked with the Captain of the Constables who patrol our area some time ago to make sure they were up to date on the changes, there was no fear of getting cited.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/28/22 07:15 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675611 08/28/22 07:42 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Be careful out there, a lot of drivers have attention span issues.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675641 08/28/22 08:33 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
IMHO, this is the time of the year when you want to give the ATV/UTV a good run if it’s been stored away for a while. Just like when you find out at the last minute that shotgun or rifle needs a little work, you don’t want to find out your ATV needs to go to the shop after the carburetor needs work. It’s why I always drain carburetors dry before storing equipment for months and sometimes weeks on end. IMO, those gas additives are not 100% reliable.

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675644 08/28/22 08:39 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
The wife and I were on Hillcrest at Lovers Lane the other day and a family of 4 was cruising up Hillcrest on a Polaris Ranger like no biggy.

texas flag

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675648 08/28/22 08:46 PM
C
Catperch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
I cranked my 4 wheeler and ran it today for this reason. 21 years old and runs like a top. I did buy another one from a friend of mine. Took it to the shop to get it to running. Long story short, I called 4 times over a time period to check on it when they didn't have it ready when they said they would. I thought I was getting the run around. They said they cleaned the carb and flushed the system. Got it home and it wouldn't run. Took it to a buddy's shop and he pulled it apart and they had not even taken the carburetor apart or done anything to it. Charged me $400. After a very heated conversation, they are cutting me a refund check.....if you gave a good mechanic, stick with them!

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675661 08/28/22 09:05 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I'm rollin dirty in my golf cart, no license plate bolt

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675666 08/28/22 09:11 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I run the ranger around here year round, either in the yard working or cruising around the roads around here.

Old gas will kill one quick, especially with the corn gas.

🍻
Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675711 08/28/22 09:48 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

You can't fix stupid
Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675778 08/28/22 10:57 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
I took my 21' Gator 835 paperwork into the local DMV for plates and they had never done one before. I was patient and they were patient and so we finally got it done but it did take a bit of finagling. I riveted the plate to the tailgate so it doesn't disappear. I do believe the rules are only on 35mph streets or less.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8675819 08/28/22 11:55 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
I took my 21' Gator 835 paperwork into the local DMV for plates and they had never done one before. I was patient and they were patient and so we finally got it done but it did take a bit of finagling. I riveted the plate to the tailgate so it doesn't disappear. I do believe the rules are only on 35mph streets or less.

I suspect local speed limits will come into play if you're using it in a subdivision as I and I'm sure many others are doing.

I believe the laws state that IF your vehicle is not capable of making 30 mph, a slow moving vehicle sign is required on the rear. But this is probably something that was already in place for other off road vehicles.

An area where there seems to be some confusion depending on with whom you check is the need for brake lights and turn signals. Our local law enforcement decided these ARE NOT required. I would recommend that others check with their own local LEO's to make sure they interpret these changes in the same way.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/29/22 12:28 AM.

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675879 08/29/22 12:56 AM
D
DeerSlayer31 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Recent changes in state laws now permit you to use golf carts, UTV's and ATV's within your subdivision, given you purchase on Off Road license plate for them. The plate only costs $10 for the life of the vehicle, and of course you must obey all normal traffic laws like stopping for stop signs and giving hand signals when making turns. And perhaps needless to say, you must be a licensed driver.

My old Honda has been sitting idle all Spring and Summer (I've cranked maybe a couple of times just to make sure the battery was still hot) so I decided to ride it up to the front of the subdivision to fill the tank and a 2-1/2 gallon container to take the next time I go to the lease. Still some time before the season opener but I wanted to make sure it was ready to start hauling meat out of the woods.

Got just a few odd looks but that was about it. And after having checked with the Captain of the Constables who patrol our area some time ago to make sure they were up to date on the changes, there was no fear of getting cited.

Got a website or anything that shows this law. Google says still no go, just wondering because I want to get one of those plates now.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675882 08/29/22 12:59 AM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
HOAs are going to have fun with this one. Glad I have a big pasture west of the house to run mine in. I don't like running ATV tires on concrete. To the OP. I hope you got some ethanol free. My Polaris runs fine on E10 but sometimes the gas sits in it for awhile.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: DeerSlayer31] #8675892 08/29/22 01:15 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by DeerSlayer31

Got a website or anything that shows this law. Google says still no go, just wondering because I want to get one of those plates now.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/unique-vehicles

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675894 08/29/22 01:21 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
TD, how do you take care of liability insurance?

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: ntxtrapper] #8675895 08/29/22 01:22 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by DeerSlayer31

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/unique-vehicles

It still has to be approved by the locality

“In a master planned community with a uniform set of restrictive covenants and a county or municipality-approved plat”

You drive a UTV(non golf cart) in Rockport you are getting pulled over… ask me how I know

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8675901 08/29/22 01:28 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
The roads in which you drive on, unless in a gated community that allows such, permission must be granted by the Sheriff of that county. That means that just because you have the goofy Texas plate, you don’t have absolute authority to ride on any road you please.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8675914 08/29/22 01:44 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

I’ve had mine for almost two years, make SURE your locality adopted it. It’s not a statewide blank regulation!!

In most case if you are ag exempt you are better off with slow moving triangle as the distance regulations are 10x

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: BigPig] #8675929 08/29/22 01:58 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by BigPig
The roads in which you drive on, unless in a gated community that allows such, permission must be granted by the Sheriff of that county. That means that just because you have the goofy Texas plate, you don’t have absolute authority to ride on any road you please.

Yep, I just put my street legal kit on it a week ago. I will not put a plate on it and the sheriff waved at us in the pizza joint parking lot one evening so I guess I am good to go. I think the only thing besides the plate that is not street legal is my tires.

[Linked Image]
Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8676003 08/29/22 03:24 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I just scanned it. But sounds like you get one of those 16 dollar permits and if you are on a street with a speed limit under 35 mph. You’re good.
Thought I read something about being within 2 miles of home. I need to look more into it.

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Roll-Tide] #8676194 08/29/22 01:53 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Thought I read something about being within 2 miles of home. I need to look more into it.

Yes, I seem to remember reading the 2 mile restriction as well.

No doubt it was the increasing use of golf carts within neighborhoods that helped drive these changes. I also suspect people wanting to use their UTVs and ATVs in more rural neighborhoods helped their passage as well. Lots of these now exist and even more being built as Baby Boomers retire and others are just wanting to get farther from crime riddled cities. They're changes that seemed to have caught many LEO's and even DA offices off guard in terms of determining what is and isn't legal.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/29/22 01:55 PM.

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Hudbone] #8676212 08/29/22 02:13 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Hudbone

I am really interested on how you guys take care of this. Most home insurance polices in the state of TX automatically provide liability coverage for owned ATV's while being operated on the initial residence premises. Please note the term - initial residence premises. Very few people operate them there. Drive it out the gate or driveway and without a separate, stand alone ATV policy, you have no (zero) liability coverage. What could happen?

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Hudbone] #8676219 08/29/22 02:19 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I am really interested on how you guys take care of this. Most home insurance polices in the state of TX automatically provide liability coverage for owned ATV's while being operated on the initial residence premises. Please note the term - initial residence premises. Very few people operate them there. Drive it out the gate or driveway and without a separate, stand alone ATV policy, you have no (zero) liability coverage. What could happen?

I have separate stand alone policy via liberty mutual

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8676230 08/29/22 02:26 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I think people pay less attention while cruising the neighborhood while driving golf carts. Then toss in a cart full of teenagers and they really don't pay attention to anything.

Last edited by Herbie Hancock; 08/29/22 02:30 PM.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Texas Dan] #8676231 08/29/22 02:28 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Yeah, but I was wondering about, "My old Honda has been sitting idle all Spring and Summer". These are the ones where peoples get themselves into trouble.

Same thing goes for all the idjits who drive their golf carts all over the place like they own the streets.

Re: Took the ATV for a ride in the subdivision today [Re: Hudbone] #8676256 08/29/22 02:56 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Yeah, but I was wondering about, "My old Honda has been sitting idle all Spring and Summer". These are the ones where peoples get themselves into trouble.

Same thing goes for all the idjits who drive their golf carts all over the place like they own the streets.

Well first they will probably get a ticket because most Localities haven’t adopted the off hwy tag, and second loose their life savings in an accident thinking their umbrella or homeowners will cover them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide