Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8535185 02/19/22 02:43 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Can you adjust the plates so they are closer together?.Maybe that way they couldn't reach the spinner.

Re: Which is the best [Re: TLew] #8537913 02/22/22 01:20 PM
B
Byard Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
TLew Thanks, that's some good information. The spinner plate...that's why I have been asking what type it is. Just wondering if they are rectangular with flaps, round, round-dished out, diamond shaped, etc. I have seen several types just didn't know what worked best.

I wonder if what Jetdad said about adjusting the guards closer together would help, but then you can't get them but so close because of the clearance of the spinner plate and it's hub on the bottom.

I wonder if the coons get on the guard plate then reach in or stand on the ground and reach in? If they stand on their hind legs and reach in maybe it could be raised up with leg extensions.

I like the stand and fill option of these type feeders, but at least with the type I'm using now (55 gallon barrel on legs) and "The Eliminater" I've stopped the bandits. Most of the time I use my Gator when filling so I just stand in the back and dump corn in.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8538019 02/22/22 03:05 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
These are hexagonal guard plates, and the spinner plate is a concave square kind of like a top. Could you reduce the space between the guards? Yes, but I would need to find smaller spacers.

I believe pictures say 1000 words, so let me post one. I can post many many more if they are wanted/needed.

[Linked Image]

Note that in this pic I don't believe the coon is making contact with the spinner plate. This is just an example of what they do. Perhaps some have longer arms than others or maybe they've evolved past cave man days to learn how to use tools like sticks lol

I don't think you could modify existing feeders to make them higher off the ground -- you'd have to cut the skid to make that work and I have no desire to do that. I will say that the feeders are 100% the right height for stand and fills. I've filled some other brands/mfgs stand and fills that I'm not tall enough for at 5'10"

Last edited by TLew; 02/22/22 03:06 PM.
Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8540321 02/24/22 09:05 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Sending you a PM Tlew, those plates look smaller than they should have been

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8540723 02/25/22 03:07 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Tlew is he actually getting to spinner or is he just getting corn off the bottom of the plate that didn’t spin all the way out?

Never mind I re-read you said didn’t think he was.

I’ve seen them stick hand in mine but it’s just the corn left on bottom plate.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Which is the best [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8541006 02/25/22 03:18 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Tlew is he actually getting to spinner or is he just getting corn off the bottom of the plate that didn’t spin all the way out?

That one he isn't, but I know they are getting corn out. Here's a daytime pic from last November to show the mess they made. There is no way that just comes off the plate, the feeder didn't malfunction, or anything else

[Linked Image]

Re: Which is the best [Re: TLew] #8541036 02/25/22 03:58 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TLew

That one he isn't, but I know they are getting corn out. Here's a daytime pic from last November to show the mess they made. There is no way that just comes off the plate, the feeder didn't malfunction, or anything else

[Linked Image]

I dont think they are getting near that much outa mine, but I do think they can reach the spinner plate on my Bucees.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8541130 02/25/22 06:02 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
On my ramball feeders, (I have 3 and really like them) I have never had any loss of corn to raccoons or varmints. They tried at first, but learned quickly they couldn't get in there. The plate on TLew's does seem a little smaller than mine though, so maybe this was a gen1 model or something??

The only real critique I have on ramball feeders is the solar panel has had to be replaced on two of mine so far. I don't know if the flat design allows water to collect in and short them out or if the units were over tightened and slightly cracked which got worse over the couple years i have had them or what, but the fix is pretty simple with a drill and some silicone caulking. I was careful to try not to over tighten the new panels, but it may not have been that at all and may be just the flat issue allowing water to collect under it or in the unit. I do not know. For reference I have replaced the solar panel on my ASF stand and fill twice now in a little over 8 years. So I think that is simply par for the course.

I have had to replace the motor on two of my units, not a manuafacturing fault at all, but wind storm blew the lid open and water ruined the motors. The fixes were relatively easy to make and they are back running. I expect some minor issues like that from time to time and I am OK making those fixes.

But overall, ramball feeders have been great money savers for me as I have no loss of corn from the masked bandits and they are not knocked over by pigs or ruined by pigs trying to get at the insides. If you are in a high wind/storm area, I suggest turning so the lid is not opening toward the prevailing winds, but other than that, I highly recommend.

Re: Which is the best [Re: freerange] #8541131 02/25/22 06:03 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by freerange

[Linked Image]

I dont think they are getting near that much outa mine, but I do think they can reach the spinner plate on my Bucees.

My question is how is all that corn going directly under the plate? That seems really odd.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas buckeye] #8541301 02/25/22 09:31 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

[Linked Image]

My question is how is all that corn going directly under the plate? That seems really odd.

The little bastards scoop it out and pick through to get the roasted soybeans. They leave all the corn and it piles up under the feeder

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8654242 08/02/22 01:24 AM
Texas452 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I bought a Greengo feeder last fall, I’m happy with it so I bought another one.

Attached Files 461733E1-21B4-4D64-9381-77701B3EA4EF.jpeg
Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8673462 08/25/22 08:03 PM
O
Ottod Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Originally Posted by Texas452
I bought a Greengo feeder last fall, I’m happy with it so I bought another one.

Nice

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8673755 08/26/22 05:03 AM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The best feeder hands down is out of Brady Texas. It is the Texas Wildlife supply 600 lb stand and fill. I cant believe that no one talked about this one. Since the price has gone up they now run 700. It is a metal hopper uses the timer, the eliminator spin plate and a solid varmint cage. Check it out It is a life time feeder.

Last edited by bigdavehunting; 08/26/22 05:06 AM.

Re: Which is the best [Re: bigdavehunting] #8673843 08/26/22 12:47 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by bigdavehunting
The best feeder hands down is out of Brady Texas. It is the Texas Wildlife supply 600 lb stand and fill. I cant believe that no one talked about this one. Since the price has gone up they now run 700. It is a metal hopper uses the timer, the eliminator spin plate and a solid varmint cage. Check it out It is a life time feeder.

I’m not familiar with it and I’m not saying it’s not a great feeder, but a lot on here don’t like the varmit cages cause they deflect the thrown corn so that it doesn’t sling as far. I feel it’s really helpful to spread the corn out so more deer can eat at same time. The plates seem to be preferred

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Which is the best [Re: freerange] #8674127 08/26/22 07:40 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

I’m not familiar with it and I’m not saying it’s not a great feeder, but a lot on here don’t like the varmit cages cause they deflect the thrown corn so that it doesn’t sling as far. I feel it’s really helpful to spread the corn out so more deer can eat at same time. The plates seem to be preferred

The one from Brady has both guard and plate. The higher off the ground the spinner the further out it throws. I prefer the stand and fill.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas buckeye] #8674684 08/27/22 03:14 PM
D
David Maas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Because there is a gap that the wire comes thru that allows corn to fill up the motor cover, then they scoop it out.

Duct tape the battery/timer box up around the wires, remove the lower plate and tape over the the gaps around the wire tube, just make sure it is inside the motor cover and not on top of the plate.

This will also prevent any moisture from molding the corn and eventually corroding the motor/harness

Then you have never seen or used one of Mike's/Ramball36's feeders, there is nothing close on the market, there are similar and there are cheaper, but none better

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Which is the best [Re: freerange] #8674764 08/27/22 05:14 PM
Texas452 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker

I don’t mind the cage at all, yes some of the corn hits the wire and doesn’t go far but some doesn’t and it gets out there.
I’m happy with mine.

Re: Which is the best [Re: David Maas] #8675112 08/28/22 01:04 AM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by David Maas

Because there is a gap that the wire comes thru that allows corn to fill up the motor cover, then they scoop it out.

Duct tape the battery/timer box up around the wires, remove the lower plate and tape over the the gaps around the wire tube, just make sure it is inside the motor cover and not on top of the plate.

This will also prevent any moisture from molding the corn and eventually corroding the motor/harness

Then you have never seen or used one of Mike's/Ramball36's feeders, there is nothing close on the market, there are similar and there are cheaper, but none better

Looks to be quality made but I dont believe one feeder hopper will out last the other so I will keep the extra money in my pocket.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Ramball36] #8675135 08/28/22 01:22 AM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ramball36
Originally Posted by B_Man
just an fyi- I reached out to Ramball to see about getting one if his feeders this past summer and I feel like his feeders
are well made but due to inflation/pandemic etc. his prices have gone way up.
He told me his 600 lb feeder was now $1200 and that a lot of people decided to go another route.
I hope prices go back down but I am not sure that will happen.

Unfortunately I don’t see them going back down. We use 12 gauge sheet on our feeders which is currently in a 5x10 going for $305. It takes 1.3 sheets to do one feeder. With the feeder components, angle iron, hardware, sheet metal breaks and powdercoat, they’re sitting at around $780 before factoring any labor and profits. 2 years ago that number was around $465.

This is the price I was referring too.

Re: Which is the best [Re: bigdavehunting] #8675386 08/28/22 02:36 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker

I am thinking about buying one of these. They have them here at a feed store in Argyle and they are made of 14 gauge metal. I am trying to order one without the timer and cage. They are really solid.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Sidebuster] #8675391 08/28/22 02:40 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Sidebuster

I am thinking about buying one of these. They have them here at a feed store in Argyle and they are made of 14 gauge metal. I am trying to order one without the timer and cage. They are really solid.

Keep us posted on buying without timer and cage.

Re: Which is the best [Re: freerange] #8675397 08/28/22 02:46 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Sidebuster

Keep us posted on buying without timer and cage.

Will do, the manager at the feed store supposed to call me Monday.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8675463 08/28/22 04:14 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I dont think you will find one stronger and better for the money. The cage comes right off. I tried 3 years ago and the difference was about a hundred dollars. They run their specials on feeders in August. So August is the best time to buy one, two years ago I gave 550 and last I heard they are 700 now through the end of the month and will go up to 789 in sept. The Ramball36 and this appear to be the same quality but the price is a huge difference. Good luck let us know.

Re: Which is the best [Re: bigdavehunting] #8675645 08/28/22 08:40 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I dont think you will find one stronger and better for the money. The cage comes right off. I tried 3 years ago and the difference was about a hundred dollars. They run their specials on feeders in August. So August is the best time to buy one, two years ago I gave 550 and last I heard they are 700 now through the end of the month and will go up to 789 in sept. The Ramball36 and this appear to be the same quality but the price is a huge difference. Good luck let us know.

Actually, now the cages are welded on except for one side.

Re: Which is the best [Re: Texas452] #8675677 08/28/22 09:22 PM
B
bigdavehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
scratch I believe you are correct

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide