Forums46
Topics537,699
Posts9,727,891
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8663411 08/13/22 09:21 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Had Nikon scopes on the majority of my rifles at one point. Now it is Leupold, with a few Burris (handgun), some older Nikons, and one Trijicon Accupoint.

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: freerange] #8663607 08/14/22 12:53 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by redchevy
Wasn’t even aware swaro created their own system. Sounds like I’m not smart enough to operate it.

Leupold has one too. I had to draw this out for someone, in May, after I got done with their rifle.

[Linked Image]

I really don’t get the resistance of some to Mil or MOA hash marks on your scope. For me being a simpleton, the mil with 1/2 mil increments is the simplest do all reticle.

Scott, I dont want to beat this to death, since Ive addressed on another thread, but you asked a question that I can answer for you. At least for me, I can answer it, and I know full well that everyones situation is different.
First of all, us old school guys dont even know what a "MIL or MOA hash mark" is, so its the uncertainty of something different. And in my case, I have been extremely successful deer hunting, so, if its not broke, I may not want to fix it.
Second of all, I am a Trophy deer hunter that only pulls the trigger once every few years because I am so picky about my target animal. SOMETIMES, when I finally get a shot at a buck of a lifetime, I will only have a few seconds to shoulder, aim and shoot. The shooting process needs to be fast and AUTOMATIC without any thinking or clutter/confusion.
I put THE THE crosshair(big one in the middle) on vital and squeeze.
If he is 250 I put THE crosshair a little high and squeeze.
If he is 275 I put THE crosshair a little higher and squeeze.
If he is 300 I put THE crosshair at his back and squeeze.
If he is farther than 300 I wait or I get closer.
I hope that helps. People look at things they think are similar, but they are looking at it through different filters, so they see different things.
For the first time in my life, I am considering getting into target shooting and that may happen next year. When that does, I am sure I will be learning all about this new fangled stuff and will be all over it. Not yet.

Free, I picked up my first BDC reticle maybe 15+ years ago, like you I'm old school 45+ years hunting TX whitetail. Basically, they're doing the same thing you and I and thousands of others have always done, simply moving the middle cross hair up for further distances with the 200/300/400 yard drop crosshairs

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8663793 08/14/22 10:25 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Nightforce for me. If thats not in the budget, then its pretty much a free for all from there for me.

It does make me laugh anytime someone touts the Vortex warranty. Thats like people that buy crap cars and say “well it had a 10yr warranty” when it leaves them stranded. Quality scopes dont need a warranty. Sure, I have some Vortex scopes and they are ok, but I know what they are.

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: jeepercreeper] #8663876 08/14/22 01:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by jeepercreeper
Nightforce for me. If thats not in the budget, then its pretty much a free for all from there for me.

It does make me laugh anytime someone touts the Vortex warranty. Thats like people that buy crap cars and say “well it had a 10yr warranty” when it leaves them stranded. Quality scopes dont need a warranty. Sure, I have some Vortex scopes and they are ok, but I know what they are.

If you use your stuff then only a fool wouldnt consider warranty, including spotting scopes, Bino’s etc. Good news is Vortex’s warranty caused the entire industry to up their game to match in most capacities

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8663917 08/14/22 02:15 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

If you use your stuff then only a fool wouldnt consider warranty, including spotting scopes, Bino’s etc. Good news is Vortex’s warranty caused the entire industry to up their game to match in most capacities

All true.

And there is the other school of thought, that precedes the thought of warranty and customer service.

Buy products that are know for reliability and durability, therefore you probably will not need the warranty services.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8663918 08/14/22 02:16 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I agree Vortex and later a couple others taking market share pushed Leupold and even Nighforce to up their game especially in the glass quality department. The older NXS line and the older Leupold lines had some pretty meh glass even when compared to the Bushnell Elite back then.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8663925 08/14/22 02:25 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Consider….yes. Base a purchase on….no. People that use their stuff base their purchase on proven track record. Only a fool would see countless stories of warranty fixes/replacements as a positive.

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: J.G.] #8663928 08/14/22 02:28 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

All true.

And there is the other school of thought, that precedes the thought of warranty and customer service.

Buy products that are know for reliability and durability, therefore you probably will not need the warranty services.

ThIs

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8663966 08/14/22 03:08 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There is a Facebook page called "Scope Snobs". A few years ago a guy posed a question. "How is Night Force when dealing with warranty work?" Post, after post, after post guys were saying they didn't know, they have never broken one. Finally someone chimed in, that it was his fault his scope got damaged, and Night Force took great care of him.

That is all I needed to see.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: J.G.] #8663970 08/14/22 03:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

All true.

I’ve broken spotters, bent rifle scopes, cracked Bino’s. I’ve used warranties from Swaro, maven, vortex, luppy, Zeiss and Nikon. Not one time was it a mechanical failure but abuse.

I’m not a fan of mid tier or lower in any optics brand

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8668621 08/19/22 09:04 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Gone to Texas
What scope brand is your favorite and why? Are there any brands you don’t care for?

I’m curious to hear y’all’s thoughts. I’m a Vortex fan, but my friend is a diehard Leupold shooter. I have experience with both and I think Vortex has great glass for the price. With that said, I don’t have much experience with other brands.

For me there in not a pat answer.

Hunting scope I like Swarovski best of what I’ve used. I will clarify that the bulk of my hunting use is trophy deer hunting. Holds Zero and the glass is very good. I own a few of these. I swapped from Leupold VX-3.

Range scope I like Nightforce best of what I’ve used. The glass is not up to what I use for hunting but plenty good for shooting targets from a long ways in day time. The turrets and tracking are the best I’ve tried. I own one Nightforce. I swapped from Leupold VX-6.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8668904 08/20/22 01:19 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Mine in order of preference…

FFP
Tangent Theta 5x25 x 56
S&B Polar T96 4-16 x 52 with P4FL reticle

SFP
March 2.5-25 x 52
NF ATACR 4-16 x 50

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8669002 08/20/22 02:40 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
This thread has been real good for me. Might of needed it before I bought one the other day but I’m good with what I got. This next year I may start shooting more and that may mean more rifles and scopes. Thanks guys.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8671274 08/22/22 08:42 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Probably a draw between Leupold and Hawke. Leupold scopes are clear, ultra light weight, durable, and not Uber expensive. Almost made in USA, lol. Hawke scopes are a little heavier, maybe not quite as clear, but still very durable and also pretty cheap. Hawke are Chinese. Both of them represent a bargain to me.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8671278 08/22/22 08:45 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I also have one old Swarovski. If I were not on a fairly limited budget I would probably put Swarovski on everything except .22’s. Leupold FXI 4x28 on the .22’s.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8671381 08/22/22 10:34 PM
R
redhaze Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Arken deserves a look, Texas distributor....

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8673845 08/26/22 12:51 PM
G
grizzlyman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Meopta or Leupold.

Last edited by grizzlyman; 08/26/22 12:56 PM.

NRA Certified Rifle/ML Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8674627 08/27/22 01:34 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I'm not a brand snob. I pick the scope that fits the job. It is hard to beat Nightforce - they have scopes to fit a number of budget ranges and they don't sacrifice on reliability - only glass quality and features.

I love SWFA - their 5-20 HD might be one of the best all-around scopes ever made, and their 3-15 SFP is a fantastic 22LR scope.

I also like Bushnell - the ERS is on my brother's LR gun and it's shockingly good for the $. I have a Bushnell Prime on my Anschutz 22 and it does everything I ask of it. I have a pair of their cheap binos that are good for the $.

I like Vortex as long as you're talking Razor. They do a good job of listening to customer feedback and delivering what shooters want. They stand behind it, although its unfortunate how often they have to.

My favorite scope right now is a Delta Stryker 4.5-30 that's on my long range rig. Performance, build quality, and reticle design are unmatched at the price point.

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8675803 08/28/22 11:37 PM
R
RevolverFan Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Always loved Nikon and was upset to see them get out of the biz

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: RevolverFan] #8676110 08/29/22 12:00 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RevolverFan
Always loved Nikon and was upset to see them get out of the biz

They made the mistake of not listening to shooters. A mistake they haven't really made in their DSLR business, which is why we're seeing such a strong rebound in that business area for them.

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8682057 09/06/22 03:04 PM
G
Graycard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Leupold
I have about a dozen on various rifles and I'm happy with them all. Only had to send one back about 30 years ago when I knock a rifle out of my deer stand and the scope hit dead on a bolder. No charge and quick replacement!

I've tried many others while doing reviews on rifles and most worked well enough, but I never found a really good reason to change the scopes on my personal rifles. I do regret that Leupold discontinued the VX-R line. To me the VX-R 1.5-4X was the perfect scope for an AR-15.

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8722616 10/31/22 12:33 PM
DeckArtist Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Burris, I have two of them now [Fullfield E1s] and love them. Both are 4.5-14x42 and they have the best light transmission of any scope I have ever had.

www.hannawoodworks.com
Deck, Pergolas, Patio Covers, Sawmill Services & more...
214-435-9574
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8728151 11/07/22 12:11 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Meopta.

If I could afford them, Leica.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8728440 11/07/22 06:17 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Leica has great glass but some of their reticle designs are head scratchers.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8728895 11/08/22 02:40 AM
K
killen Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
march

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide