Forums46
Topics537,995
Posts9,731,556
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Gumbeaux] #8672908 08/24/22 10:36 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
Ridgeline. All Day.

Or the all new Ford Maverick. Pick up truck for city dwellers.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: flashman252] #8672938 08/24/22 11:12 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by flashman252
Towing or no towing?

If towing, I would go with a diesel if you can afford it. At the end of the day, best gas mileage avg for towing and not towing is a diesel. I went from a 2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost that i HATED to a Ram 2500 cummins and I LOVE it except that I already want to delete it. Every manufacture is going to the small v6 turbo route. Although seems like a good idea, the second you add any kind of load to it, your gas mileage is like 10-14 at best. So then you look at the Tundra and it gets like 15 at best and towing like 10. So you look at diesel and they are amazing for everything you can imagine except that stupid exhaust and DEF fluid. So there is no winning with trucks right now, you have to pick which evil you want to deal with. My new ram 2500 had to go back to the shop at 9000 mi because one of the sensors in the exhaust system already went bad. Easy enough to fix until I realized it was $1100 to replace. So warranty and a trip to the dealership and lots of waiting around and it was fixed for free.

EPA has gone after a lot of big tuners this last year or so and PPEI was fined 3 million for selling components to delete diesels. So you won't find anything for any 2022's right now to delete these trucks. Kind of stuck with stock for awhile. Eventually I am sure someone, somewhere (probably in Canada) will release deletes for these newer models, but right now no dice and you have to live with the crappy no black smoke cancer that comes with diesel trucks. Supreme court did rule that the EPA is over reaching on companies but it has scared the diesel world and still no 2022 tunes.... yet. Someone will release one eventually but when is the biggest question right now.

I have a 20 min commute daily with my diesel, I am seeing 21-22 mpg empty and 16 mpg towing my 30 ft travel trailer or bass boat (huge weight difference but still see exactly 16 mpg when towing). I would say pick a truck you love and are comfortable in. No truck is perfect, and even though I have had issues already with my diesel, I probably will never be without a diesel truck again. Gas vs Diesel, there is no comparison.

Since you're new to diesel, let me clue you in on something.

People that are pulling heavy several times a month need diesel. Since 2001, I have driven a Cummins in a Dodge, and now Ram. 2001 model, then a 2008 model, now in a 2016 dually. All of them four wheel drive. 21 years of using them, and maintaining them myself. They have always done everything asked of them. The 2001 was sold with 175,000 on it. The 2008 was sold with 150,000 on it. The 2016 now has 135,000 on it. So I am married to Cummins.

BUT!!! The maintenance costs are significant. Diesel fuel costs nore. And non-deleted trucks will eventually have emission problems for the guy that doesn't cook them out frequently. DEF is stupid, and the whole system costs significant fuel mileage. The juice is not worth the squeeze for those that don't work them pretty hard at least monthly.

I have friends that are smart, experienced, and can analyze things. Two of them could not justify the maintenance costs, and increase fuel cost of diesel any longer. Both have owned Cummins, 6.7 Power Stroke, and Duramax. Both have moved to the Ford 7.3L gas engine for these reasons. One hauls horses and cattle monthly. The other hauls mini-ex and skid steers weekly. Both have been happy with the 7.3 gas.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8672940 08/24/22 11:16 PM
G
gettinbirdie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I have a 2018 1/2 ton dodge ecodeisel. I traded in my 15’ f-250 king ranch that got 15 miles/gallon real time. My half ton gets 24 in town and 26-30mpg on the highway( depends on how much pedal I put in it. 17 mpg pulling my fiberglass boat and 15-16 pulling my rv/ conversion trailer that I hunt out of when out of state. I also pull a horse trailer. It’s never been in the shop. It’s no speed demon but I pull 1/2 the time I’m using it . My next go around I’ll get another or get the 1/2 ton duramax deisel( 10 spd Tran).

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: J.G.] #8672953 08/24/22 11:29 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by J.G.
[quote=flashman252]Towing or no towing?

If towing, I would go with a diesel if you can afford it. At the end of the day, best gas mileage avg for towing and not towing is a diesel. I went from a 2016 F150 3.5 ecoboost that i HATED to a Ram 2500 cummins and I LOVE it except that I already want to delete it. Every manufacture is going to the small v6 turbo route. Although seems like a good idea, the second you add any kind of load to it, your gas mileage is like 10-14 at best. So then you look at the Tundra and it gets like 15 at best and towing like 10. So you look at diesel and they are amazing for everything you can imagine except that stupid exhaust and DEF fluid. So there is no winning with trucks right now, you have to pick which evil you want to deal with. My new ram 2500 had to go back to the shop at 9000 mi because one of the sensors in the exhaust system already went bad. Easy enough to fix until I realized it was $1100 to replace. So warranty and a trip to the dealership and lots of waiting around and it was fixed for free.

EPA has gone after a lot of big tuners this last year or so and PPEI was fined 3 million for selling components to delete diesels. So you won't find anything for any 2022's right now to delete these trucks. Kind of stuck with stock for awhile. Eventually I am sure someone, somewhere (probably in Canada) will release deletes for these newer models, but right now no dice and you have to live with the crappy no black smoke cancer that comes with diesel trucks. Supreme court did rule that the EPA is over reaching on companies but it has scared the diesel world and still no 2022 tunes.... yet. Someone will release one eventually but when is the biggest question right now.

I have a 20 min commute daily with my diesel, I am seeing 21-22 mpg empty and 16 mpg towing my 30 ft travel trailer or bass boat (huge weight difference but still see exactly 16 mpg when towing). I would say pick a truck you love and are comfortable in. No truck is perfect, and even though I have had issues already with my diesel, I probably will never be without a diesel truck again. Gas vs Diesel, there is no comparison.

BUT!!! The maintenance costs are significant. Diesel fuel costs nore. And non-deleted trucks will eventually have emission problems for the guy that doesn't cook them out frequently. DEF is stupid, and the whole system costs significant fuel mileage. The juice is not worth the squeeze for those that don't work them pretty hard at least monthly.

No emissions needed where I live to register the truck. Still deleting when available. I tow the boat weekly in the summer, make long trips with box trailers in the winter often. Take the travel trailer places pretty often in the heat of the summer up huge mountains to get out of the heat. Do I tow as often as some, absolutely not. I understand the need to get them hot to allow for good regens.... still just completely stupid we have to play those games with these trucks to keep the exhaust system "happy" because blowing black smoke is too detrimental to the environment.

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8672963 08/24/22 11:43 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Ill keep it as short as I can and not try and get into a debate as much as I can

Tacoma-towing a 10ft trailer and golf cart
Tundra-a little more
Cummins-if needing true weight

I aint gonna argue about it w anybody

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: flashman252] #8672969 08/24/22 11:57 PM
F
FayetteCo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
Ridgeline. All Day.

roflmao

clap

I agree. I could have sworn the OP was asking about trucks.

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: J.G.] #8672997 08/25/22 12:43 AM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by J.G.
Towing or no towing?

Since you're new to diesel, let me clue you in on something.

People that are pulling heavy several times a month need diesel. Since 2001, I have driven a Cummins in a Dodge, and now Ram. 2001 model, then a 2008 model, now in a 2016 dually. All of them four wheel drive. 21 years of using them, and maintaining them myself. They have always done everything asked of them. The 2001 was sold with 175,000 on it. The 2008 was sold with 150,000 on it. The 2016 now has 135,000 on it. So I am married to Cummins.

I have friends that are smart, experienced, and can analyze things. Two of them could not justify the maintenance costs, and increase fuel cost of diesel any longer. Both have owned Cummins, 6.7 Power Stroke, and Duramax. Both have moved to the Ford 7.3L gas engine for these reasons. One hauls horses and cattle monthly. The other hauls mini-ex and skid steers weekly. Both have been happy with the 7.3 gas.

Bingo!

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8673070 08/25/22 02:28 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
[Linked Image]

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8673072 08/25/22 02:29 AM
J
jcarring99 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Can you delete the def system like you can on a semi?

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Email: joel@carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: ntxtrapper] #8673074 08/25/22 02:34 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
V-8 Tundra checks almost all your boxes. I'm getting about 14.5 MPG but that's with zero city driving.

I get 17-17.5 in the same vehicle day in and day out.

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: DLALLDER] #8673075 08/25/22 02:34 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
V-8 Tundra checks almost all your boxes. I'm getting about 14.5 MPG but that's with zero city driving.

I get 17-17.5 in the same vehicle day in and day out.

2 WD.

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: jcarring99] #8673080 08/25/22 02:39 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by jcarring99

Yes. GM products cost significantly more tho

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8673137 08/25/22 10:51 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
What you tow and how often is the determining factor. MPG should only be an added perk. There's a lot of people out there with 3/4 tons that don't even sniff at needing the added fuel consumption, insurance, etc. Less than 8K pounds not more than three times a month and a 3/4 ton is wasting money. Some would put even higher numbers to keep a half ton. Diesels are a PITA to work on and maintain and those costs are only justified when a half ton simply cannot perform the needed duties. Keep in mind today's half ton is built like a one ton from the 1980's. Today's one ton is built like yesterday's semi-tractor.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8673146 08/25/22 11:13 AM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
My only recent experience is with a Tundra. I can tell you not to buy a 2019 to 2021 Tundra unless it has an aftermarket trans cooler. This only applies if towing heavier loads. I have a 2017 and no problems. The 4 or 5 Tundras are not for everybody because they lack things like auto up/down windows, Apple carplay, and keyless start. I don't care about any of these things. Highway mileage on mine was not bad at 70 to 75 mph with the original tire size. I would look at the truck forums for more info.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: BigPig] #8673187 08/25/22 01:08 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by BigPig
[Linked Image]

Lol!

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: GusWayne] #8673235 08/25/22 02:07 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by procraft05
Ill keep it as short as I can and not try and get into a debate as much as I can

Tacoma-towing a 10ft trailer and golf cart
Tundra-a little more
Cummins-if needing true weight

I aint gonna argue about it w anybody

Definitely all great trucks for sure

Only issues with all of them is piss poor fuel economy

I also think the new Ford Diesels with the 10 speed transmissions are the way to go for heavy pulling and the stats do not lie when comparing GM, Ford, & DODGE diesels.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8673245 08/25/22 02:16 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Thanks for all your input and opinions! And for a good laugh or two. smile

As far as towing goes, it would be mainly be farm equipment, and would probably be infrequent.

I'm thinking I'll stick with gas (although I loved my F250 Diesel from years ago).

Appreciate everyone's feedback!

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8673258 08/25/22 02:29 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I've driven diesel since 1998. Let me share what a friend, who is a diesel expert mechanic (Stewart field Service out of Haslet) told me years ago. Don't buy a diesel unless you HAVE to have it AND...hopefully you can work on it yourself unless major problems) When I met him he drove dodge, for years now he has driven Ford. When I was in the market in 2017 for a new truck I called him and asked him what I should get. Without hesitation he said get a Ford. THEY ALL HAVE THEIR PROBLEMS but ford was the way to go. (at the time)

I'd get a Toyota if I didn't need a diesel.

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8673266 08/25/22 02:39 PM
Brian Spagnola Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I have a few trucks for sale, check em out. I mainly stay over on TFF but I have been around a long time.

www.texasmotorcars.com

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: jcarring99] #8673287 08/25/22 03:23 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by jcarring99

Hopefully soon more will be available. At this time, no 2022 tunes offered for purchase due to EPA crack downs. Also heard the new uconnect has caused major issues trying to create a tune but cannot verify how true this is.

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: jackcountyhunter] #8673403 08/25/22 06:16 PM
J
jcneef Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by jackcountyhunter
GMC AT4 with the 6.2. Pulls great and has plenty of power.

I second this... love my 2022 AT4 with the 6.2

Last edited by jcneef; 08/25/22 06:16 PM.
Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8673522 08/25/22 10:06 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
It is a Dodge but...

[Linked Image]

texas flag

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8673564 08/25/22 11:16 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Best advice I can give is to narrow it down to three vehicles. Then for three weekends rent one as close to having all the features you want and test it out driving and towing with it like you will be doing for years to come. You are making a large purchase and by doing this you should be able to find the right truck for you. Investing a few hundred on thousands is is good investment.

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: spacejunkie] #8673682 08/26/22 02:09 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Best advice I can give is to narrow it down to three vehicles. Then for three weekends rent one as close to having all the features you want and test it out driving and towing with it like you will be doing for years to come. You are making a large purchase and by doing this you should be able to find the right truck for you. Investing a few hundred on thousands is is good investment.

Finding a rental you can tow with is an issue.

Re: Let's talk trucks - looking to upgrade [Re: 68rustbucket] #8673684 08/26/22 02:12 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Good point about rentals to tow with. When I had no truck, I used to have to go to Trailer Wheel and Frame in Houston to rent one for towing.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide