Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,585
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8657708 08/06/22 02:20 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Way beyond my skill level….

More my speed….

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8657919 08/06/22 02:27 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

More my speed….

[Linked Image]

Black power or 12 gauge blanks? Either way that is cool. Had a customer once install a 12 gauge on the bow sprint of his sailboat that we built. If anyone got too close or was going to cut in front of him he would shoot it. GW made him quit but it still looked good sitting there.

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: spacejunkie] #8658521 08/07/22 11:53 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by spacejunkie

More my speed….

[Linked Image]

Black power or 12 gauge blanks? Either way that is cool. Had a customer once install a 12 gauge on the bow sprint of his sailboat that we built. If anyone got too close or was going to cut in front of him he would shoot it. GW made him quit but it still looked good sitting there.

Black powder and fuse….

Looking for a pair of 18”-30” steel wheels to build a carriage for it. I already have the oak boards, just need the wheels and the time to build it.

Be something similar to this….

[Linked Image]

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8658586 08/07/22 01:26 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I am a weirdo that accepts too many challenges, fixes cars for a living, but was a scholarshipped engineering student so I couldn't pick just one.

End tables for my wife. They are tornado proof.

[Linked Image]

10' tall rolling lighthouse project (currently) that has to come apart for transport.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Split deck platforms with ramps each side (four total, two shown) that can hold a few colorguard kids on and under, easily disassemble/reassemble, and can fit in school hallways.

[Linked Image]

Pickled peppers and carrots.

[Linked Image]

Here's a contraption we and another band dad built that hoists a student via hidden cables from each side...and it's portable to be used during half time show.

[Linked Image]

Playing golf for nearly three years now and I have made a couple birdies I'm proud of.

[Linked Image]

Custom buttons? Sure, I make those for fundraising.

[Linked Image]

Ever heard of a bass recorder? Well, here's one. It's the size of a saxophone but it's actually a recorder...just not like the one you played in 4th grade music class. It was donated to my State qualifying trombonist son but it needed some repairs. I got it working for him.

[Linked Image]

I make my own bullets. That's cool, right?

[Linked Image]

Pass the gravy.

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8658587 08/07/22 01:26 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Me and another dad shown earlier made 12 of these from scratch in a couple nights after work with no plans or much input on design from the Director.

[Linked Image]

Pass the gravy.

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: spacejunkie] #8658788 08/07/22 06:48 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Had a customer once install a 12 gauge on the bow sprint of his sailboat that we built. If anyone got too close or was going to cut in front of him he would shoot it. GW made him quit but it still looked good sitting there.

What was the justification to make him stop? What law was being broken? I can’t think of anything….. If you’re firing blanks who cares…..

Tell the GW to go check a fisherman’s license and leave y’all the hell alone….. 2cents

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: GasGuzzler] #8658925 08/07/22 11:04 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

Pickled peppers and carrots.
[Linked Image]

up cheers food

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8658960 08/07/22 11:55 PM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]

Make America Great Again

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8665500 08/16/22 06:19 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Lately, a roper wallet and messenger bag. TBC’d on the finished products
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8665501 08/16/22 06:21 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8665502 08/16/22 06:22 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
That latter is “The Judd” pattern, btw. Any others are imposters

Last edited by Bullfrog; 08/16/22 06:22 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8709686 10/16/22 02:31 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Good use of some mesquite and pecan scraps. Axis antler pin. All from my brothers place.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Simple Searcher] #8709698 10/16/22 02:36 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Good use of some mesquite and pecan scraps. Axis antler pin. All from my brothers place.

[Linked Image]

That is gorgeous dude. Hats off.

[Linked Image]

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8710392 10/17/22 12:26 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Well, this isn’t anything spectacular, but it’s a copy of a walnut bowl I made for my Mom in 1963 (industrial arts in high school). It’s for the oldest grandson, to be filled with pecans for cracking and eating, which he likes to do, and he can’t have the original.
[Linked Image]

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8727852 11/06/22 09:09 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Dang good match!

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8727910 11/06/22 11:25 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Here is a recent solid hard maple table I built for some friends...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8727975 11/07/22 01:09 AM
I
intohunting Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
I
[Linked Image]

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: intohunting] #8727982 11/07/22 01:14 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by intohunting
[Linked Image]

That’s different…..how many racks to make that?

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8728038 11/07/22 02:20 AM
I
intohunting Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
I
Originally Posted by intohunting
[Linked Image]

That’s different…..how many racks to make that?

37 sheds.

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: jdk1985] #8728043 11/07/22 02:24 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by jdk1985

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That’s nice I bet that took some time.

[Linked Image]

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: jdk1985] #8729687 11/09/22 12:59 AM
D
drag13honda Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by jdk1985

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shoot, you have any interest in building another one?

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8745094 11/29/22 05:47 AM
H
hogwart Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I always was a make it if you can't buy it kinda guy.

I've built so many things over the years from chairs for my trap line cabin to several jigs and fixtures for my camera mount production.

But the thing I'm happiest with is the mount itself.

It started with the purchase of my first game cameras.
It didn't take me long to form a serious dislike for the straps provided by the manufacturer.

They were cumbersome, awkward to install. They offered next to no adjustment and worst of all I could see right away that they would draw attention to the camera even if the camera was hard to see.

So I went looking for an after market replacement that solved those issues.

There wasn't much to find and what was there was either no better, too big and awkward for what I wanted, too expensive or all of the above.

I thought of building something myself but nothing came to mind at the time. So one day I mentioned my dilemma to my kid brother.
He showed me a crude home built mount he had learned about from a buddy of his.

It was really just two eye screw bolted together but I could see it had potential to become what I wanted.
So I set to work tweaking and fiddling and altering until I had my own mount that did what I wanted.

I put it to work and was pleased with the results so I tweaked some more and wound up with this;

[Linked Image]

It is simple and small, small enough to go unnoticed and light, just a few ounces.

Installing the camera on the mount takes seconds. It has a stainless steel thumb screw on the mount that threads into the insert on the bottom of most cameras.
The thumb screw is rigged so that it stays on the mount where ever it goes.

It is designed to be threaded into most wood by hand. A pilot hole helps a lot if the wood is dry hardwood but even then installation by hand is possible.
It's easy to set up and adjust, it requires no tools for installation or removal.
It's adjustable on three plains over a wide range.
It works on any wood surface, flat, round horizontal or vertical.
It can be installed in seconds.
It works on saplings just one inch in diameter or a tree four feet in diameter just as easily.
It can be used where there are no trees. Just drive a broken broom handle into the dirt and screw in the mount.

Best of all it cut theft and wildlife damage almost to nothing.

Here is a few shots of it in use.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The last shot shows the camera set along a popular bush road. I left it there for two weeks. In that time no one approached it even though anyone driving down that road would have to look right at the tree it was mounted on.

This is one shot it captured.
[Linked Image]

I couldn't be happier with the results.

Last edited by hogwart; 11/29/22 05:49 AM.

Do for yourself as much as you can, eat what nature provides as much as you can. This is the key to sleeping well and living long.
Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Biscuit] #8745305 11/29/22 03:19 PM
T
Texican Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Curious....has anyone made anything out of an old crib? We have our kids cribs still. I just took them out of the attic and was about to get rid of them. Wife still has an emotional connection with them. Thought about making something from part of them (don't want something big, but maybe something to hang on a wall, or....????).

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: hogwart] #8745349 11/29/22 04:10 PM
T
Tru_texan36 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hogwart
I always was a make it if you can't buy it kinda guy.

I've built so many things over the years from chairs for my trap line cabin to several jigs and fixtures for my camera mount production.

But the thing I'm happiest with is the mount itself.

It started with the purchase of my first game cameras.
It didn't take me long to form a serious dislike for the straps provided by the manufacturer.

They were cumbersome, awkward to install. They offered next to no adjustment and worst of all I could see right away that they would draw attention to the camera even if the camera was hard to see.

So I went looking for an after market replacement that solved those issues.

There wasn't much to find and what was there was either no better, too big and awkward for what I wanted, too expensive or all of the above.

I thought of building something myself but nothing came to mind at the time. So one day I mentioned my dilemma to my kid brother.
He showed me a crude home built mount he had learned about from a buddy of his.

It was really just two eye screw bolted together but I could see it had potential to become what I wanted.
So I set to work tweaking and fiddling and altering until I had my own mount that did what I wanted.

I put it to work and was pleased with the results so I tweaked some more and wound up with this;

[Linked Image]

It is simple and small, small enough to go unnoticed and light, just a few ounces.

Installing the camera on the mount takes seconds. It has a stainless steel thumb screw on the mount that threads into the insert on the bottom of most cameras.
The thumb screw is rigged so that it stays on the mount where ever it goes.

It is designed to be threaded into most wood by hand. A pilot hole helps a lot if the wood is dry hardwood but even then installation by hand is possible.
It's easy to set up and adjust, it requires no tools for installation or removal.
It's adjustable on three plains over a wide range.
It works on any wood surface, flat, round horizontal or vertical.
It can be installed in seconds.
It works on saplings just one inch in diameter or a tree four feet in diameter just as easily.
It can be used where there are no trees. Just drive a broken broom handle into the dirt and screw in the mount.

Best of all it cut theft and wildlife damage almost to nothing.

Here is a few shots of it in use.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The last shot shows the camera set along a popular bush road. I left it there for two weeks. In that time no one approached it even though anyone driving down that road would have to look right at the tree it was mounted on.

This is one shot it captured.
[Linked Image]

I couldn't be happier with the results.

That is sweet!! Thanks for sharing.

Re: What’s the coolest thing you have personally built ? [Re: Tru_texan36] #8745419 11/29/22 05:58 PM
H
hogwart Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by Tru_texan36

That is sweet!! Thanks for sharing.

The principal is easy enough to duplicate.
If you wish to try making one it should be easy enough. It wouldn't have all the features mine does but it would work the same.

All you need is a suspended ceiling screw or equivalent, a piece of flat metal about two inches by 1 inch and a small bolt to join the two together. And one 1 inch long 1/4 inch coarse thread bolt to attach the camera.

Drill a 1/8" hole in one end of the metal strap and a 1/4 hole in the other end. put a 90% twist in the middle and bolt the two together with the small bolt.

Done.

Here is a view of the un-assembled mount with the three stages of platform development.
I went with the paddle shape for a number of reasons but a simple rectangle shape works and is a whole lot easier to make,

[Linked Image]

Also, the wing nut and rubber washer are not essential. Nore is the Stainless Steel thumb screw for the camera. They do improve the functionality.

The simple version works and can be built in an hour or less depending on what you can find laying around your shop.

The version I make could take days to build, without the jigs and fixtures I manufactured for my production.
Some of the parts I use can be hard to find and expensive.

I paid just under $25.00 each for the first stainless steel thumb screws. Now I buy them in bulk for just under $5.00 each.

The cross bolt and wing nut I use is also stainless steel and has to be special ordered.
Standard steel would also work and so would a standard nut. But in time they would rust and seize.
And they would require at least one wrench to tighten and remove them.

I am still using the first prototype however I did replace the steel parts with stainless steel. But the steel did work trouble free for nearly a year.
Maybe in part because of our cool climate.

Do for yourself as much as you can, eat what nature provides as much as you can. This is the key to sleeping well and living long.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide