Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Herbie Hancock] #8665089 08/15/22 08:12 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I see citations being issued due to inherent issues with phone reliability, service availability and sites going down. I just read where a hunter must have a digital copy of their license available anytime they’re in the field. Kind of hard to do that when the phone won’t turn on. I have to get a new phone about every 3 or so years due to issues of reliability. I’ve been carrying a wallet for 43 years and it always works.

Taking a screen shot also works...

Until the phone stops working on its own or gets dropped overboard or drops from the top of a stand onto a rock. A buddy accidentally closed his truck door on his. That sounds like the end of a hunt to me.

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: ntxtrapper] #8665100 08/15/22 08:21 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I see citations being issued due to inherent issues with phone reliability, service availability and sites going down. I just read where a hunter must have a digital copy of their license available anytime they’re in the field. Kind of hard to do that when the phone won’t turn on. I have to get a new phone about every 3 or so years due to issues of reliability. I’ve been carrying a wallet for 43 years and it always works.

Until the phone stops working on its own or gets dropped overboard or drops from the top of a stand onto a rock. A buddy accidentally closed his truck door on his. That sounds like the end of a hunt to me.

You have any other data device? iPad, computer, lease mate, hunting buddy…

I bring my computer and data spot when I hunt instate or out of state and worse case I also have an Inreach to ping someone to enter it for me. If I have documentation on the deer and then hand the broken phone to GW and she/he still rights me a ticket, so be it. I just don’t see it happening, regardless why we have court and legal system

I run my phone for everything including Backcountry wilderness hunts for GPS. I just don’t have that many issues. Even then I have other data devices.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665110 08/15/22 08:40 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Paper for me too. I like to keep my tags. Cant keep electrons.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8665132 08/15/22 09:15 PM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

You have any other data device? iPad, computer, lease mate, hunting buddy…

I bring my computer and data spot when I hunt instate or out of state and worse case I also have an Inreach to ping someone to enter it for me. If I have documentation on the deer and then hand the broken phone to GW and she/he still rights me a ticket, so be it. I just don’t see it happening, regardless why we have court and legal system

I run my phone for everything including Backcountry wilderness hunts for GPS. I just don’t have that many issues. Even then I have other data devices.

Packed for a hunt rofl

[Linked Image]

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665148 08/15/22 09:31 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Lol,

you say that I was working from back of my truck for 7 nights in Colorado. Data spot on the roof, mr buddy turned up.

Here is a stand up desk during mule deer mid day lull

[Linked Image]

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665220 08/15/22 10:30 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
BoBo, not digging at you. Which phone company are you using that has that good of service where you hunt. I got off of a lease in Cass County for safety reasons as there was NO cell phone signal there (AT&T). I had to leave the woods and drive about 5 miles to get 1 bar.
Others had different companies and sometimes could get 1 or 2 bars on the lease. Several East Texas lakes have almost no signal with AT&T and I guess I would have to print out a paper copy for the on the water checks.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Old Rabbit] #8665299 08/15/22 11:53 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
BoBo, not digging at you. Which phone company are you using that has that good of service where you hunt. I got off of a lease in Cass County for safety reasons as there was NO cell phone signal there (AT&T). I had to leave the woods and drive about 5 miles to get 1 bar.
Others had different companies and sometimes could get 1 or 2 bars on the lease. Several East Texas lakes have almost no signal with AT&T and I guess I would have to print out a paper copy for the on the water checks.
Thanks in advance.

I use AT&T. The thing about the app is you don’t have to have service right then and there. There are provisions in there for what to do until you do have service.

My ranch is in Oklahoma and we have been Etags for atleast 5 years. I dont have service on the majority of the ranch. Okla has similar provisions if you don’t have service. Write info down and attach, then fill
Out the app and auto uploads when you do have service.

I may be apprehensive too if I hadnt used the New Mexico and Oklahoma ones for as long as I have. It’s not a bad thing IMO.

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665315 08/16/22 12:18 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Before I left a solid lease, I’d invest in a garmin inReach device.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665493 08/16/22 04:49 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Arkansas is same way and been that way for several years. No paper tags at all for deer, just login to app and fill out info. Don't even have to mark the deer.

My guess is eventually you'll login to app, fill out info, upload pic of deer, and be done.

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665497 08/16/22 05:49 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I played around with the app last couple years. Reporting via the app has been voluntary. The way it works with big game is you allow the app to log the exact the location of harvest via gps or after it pulls up the map with your location, you tap on the map the exact location of harvest if it is different from the location you are at while logging in the harvest. So it will record the exact location of your harvest on your lease or on the public land within a few yards and enter it into a database that could be accessed via public records. I admit a great management and enforcement tool for TPWD, but I went paper tags. Still easier and faster to just notch the tag and be done with it instead of messing with the phone.

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665564 08/16/22 10:50 AM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I bought my paper tags last night.

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665615 08/16/22 12:26 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Paper tags for me, it seems about the same amount of work, maybe less with out all the fiddling around on the device. That paper license takes up about the same amount of space in my money clip that my DL does.

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665622 08/16/22 12:34 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Old school here, for as long as they let me. And I'll pick up a printed regulations booklet at the Walmart down the highway. I miss getting one at Texas Liquor Stores with Dad. (He didn't drink but very occasionally, but they had a great Sporting Goods area. No Academy, or BassPro, or even Walmart back then.)

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665688 08/16/22 01:29 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
NASA wanted an ink pen to write in no gravity situations. Spent millions developing it. Cosmonauts were issued pencils.

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Sniper John] #8665694 08/16/22 01:42 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sniper John
I played around with the app last couple years. Reporting via the app has been voluntary. The way it works with big game is you allow the app to log the exact the location of harvest via gps or after it pulls up the map with your location, you tap on the map the exact location of harvest if it is different from the location you are at while logging in the harvest. So it will record the exact location of your harvest on your lease or on the public land within a few yards and enter it into a database that could be accessed via public records. I admit a great management and enforcement tool for TPWD, but I went paper tags. Still easier and faster to just notch the tag and be done with it instead of messing with the phone.

And that's why I don't want it. I have no problem putting the ranch on the back of my license, the processor copying it over, etc. because it stops there. Imagine if they started publishing this stuff or if someone asked for it under the sunshine act/rule -- people would be trying to take your lease out from under you more than they are now

ETA - Public land would be a s-show under this premise as well.

Last edited by TLew; 08/16/22 01:42 PM.
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: TLew] #8665796 08/16/22 03:28 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TLew
Originally Posted by Sniper John

And that's why I don't want it. I have no problem putting the ranch on the back of my license, the processor copying it over, etc. because it stops there. Imagine if they started publishing this stuff or if someone asked for it under the sunshine act/rule -- people would be trying to take your lease out from under you more than they are now

ETA - Public land would be a s-show under this premise as well.

When I uploaded my mule deer it was more about zone the specific location

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665827 08/16/22 03:59 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I went paper again this year to give them time to get all the bugs worked out. But I agree that it will probably be digital only eventually.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8665836 08/16/22 04:04 PM
kwrhuntinglab Offline
"The Guardian"
"The Guardian"
just bought mine... gonna try the digital and see how that works... that way I don't have to keep up with a paper license

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Texan Til I Die] #8665865 08/16/22 04:36 PM
E
Espy Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
I went paper again this year to give them time to get all the bugs worked out. But I agree that it will probably be digital only eventually.

Might have 2-3 years before it’s goes electronic. You might be able to pay extra for a paper tag by then.

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8666026 08/16/22 08:03 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Duct tape and a Sharpie seem easier than the legacy tags. Cell reception on the lease is decent but not perfect. I’ll make it work.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8666060 08/16/22 08:52 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Retailers probably won't like the change since it doesn't bring customers into the store to make other purchases while they're there to buy a license.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/16/22 08:53 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8666094 08/16/22 09:37 PM
L
Lipan Creep Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
I just bought my digital license. Gonna be way way more convenient than farting with a paper lic and tags.
You don't need cell service to use it. It will log your info in the app and save until you have service.

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Espy] #8666125 08/16/22 09:57 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I can already see TPWD officers hearing hunters claim they forgot and left their cell phone at home. Granted, officers can verify an active license but tag compliance would appear to be another matter. Are officers going to be on the hook to confirm the harvest was later reported correctly? It also seems too easy to buy a license in the woods AFTER a kill.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/16/22 10:03 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: Texas Dan] #8666143 08/16/22 10:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I can already see TPWD officers hearing hunters claim they forgot and left their cell phone at home. Granted, officers can verify an active license but tag compliance would appear to be another matter. Are officers going to be on the hook to confirm the harvest was later reported correctly? It also seems too easy to buy a license in the woods AFTER a kill.

Vast majority of hunters don’t use all their tags now, even though most properties need it. I don’t see it being an issue. So a few outlaws game the system, half of those will posted it on Social Media and get busted so now we are down to less then a percentage point of hunters.

Unless you have ntxtrapper’s iphone 1 that doesn’t turn on most days, the warden is just going to ask to see if you submitted it in the app also. The app will auto update when you get service. You are in IT you know this

Re: Digital Super Combo [Re: syncerus] #8666166 08/16/22 10:27 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by syncerus
Before I left a solid lease, I’d invest in a garmin inReach device.

Not sure if this was bout the lease in Cass County or not. If so that was just the final straw, it was timber company land and it got sold and they came in and cut the stream sides to 25 feet where the other company stayed 25 yards away on each side.
We also had an increasing poaching problem, with a dirt county road thru the middle of the lease.
Everyone that was on the lease got off within 4 yeas of me leaving.
If it had been as good as it was when I first got on it, I would have been looking for something like you suggested.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide