Forums46
Topics537,979
Posts9,731,376
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664607 08/15/22 07:08 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Both my kids got their cell phones in the first grade. It wasn’t too rare for my 11 year old but it was for our 18 year old. Very few kids had them that young back in 2009. No we never forget our kids. They both have been very responsible with their phones. They don’t use them when they are not supposed to and they haven’t lost or broke them.

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: D.O.C.989] #8664680 08/15/22 12:32 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by D.O.C.989
Land of the free. As long as the child isn't using it during class time there is no reason not to have one. It's a good teaching moment about freedom having responsibilities.

^^^^^^^

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664687 08/15/22 12:40 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I think the answer is a parent bought them one.

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: DocHorton] #8664729 08/15/22 01:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Man I must be a terrible parent mine has a Gizmo cellphone watch with tracking on it.

Your kids are clearly on their way to being degenerates, Lol.

All of mine have a phone, most are hand me downs from me and the wife's old phones. Only the three oldest have cell service. It is nice to have the tracking, but also, just as important, they can call us ANYTIME if a situation makes them uncomfortable or they need something. I trust my kids more than I do most other people. I also think it is vitally important to have restrictions on what a kid can see or do on their phone and what apps they are allowed to have.

Lol, right!!

Daughters iPads are in lock down and we check them all the time

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664741 08/15/22 01:24 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Phones are like anything else, internet, TV, etc. There's a lot of evil they can be exposed to, but a lot of benefits, if the parents will care enough to monitor and put some limits in place. 10-year-old grandson just got one with limits. He's a responsible kid. Next-door neighbor's granddaughter has always been glued to one, even in church. bang My wife just went to a "baby shower" of this girl's (who's 16) baby at the grandmother's house. The girl wore rhinestone spike heels and a low-cut neck cocktail dress. It's a perpetual train-wreck we've had a reluctant view to for many, many years. The phrase "You're doing it wrong" comes to mind.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664768 08/15/22 01:46 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I'm struggling with the timing of giving my 10-year old one. He lives in a different town than me, and it'd be nice to FaceTime him directly versus using his mother's.

The downside for me is that it feels like an 'innocence lost' scenario when a kid gets a phone; I want to extend those fleeting moments of having that magical little boy for what little time his childhood has remaining.

First grade seems way to young to me, however I HATE HATE HATE phones and technology.

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: HuntnFly67] #8664793 08/15/22 02:05 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
I'm struggling with the timing of giving my 10-year old one. He lives in a different town than me, and it'd be nice to FaceTime him directly versus using his mother's.

The downside for me is that it feels like an 'innocence lost' scenario when a kid gets a phone; I want to extend those fleeting moments of having that magical little boy for what little time his childhood has remaining.

First grade seems way to young to me, however I HATE HATE HATE phones and technology.

He can face time via iPad and wifi, fyi

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8664823 08/15/22 02:35 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by HuntnFly67

He can face time via iPad and wifi, fyi

Yep. My youngest uses it to play Roblox and a few games, that's about it. When I was young I played Nintendo, now kids just play games on phones and not as much console games like 30 years ago.

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664824 08/15/22 02:35 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Based on what I’ve seen, they need a phone so their parents can show them how to do their math homework.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664829 08/15/22 02:43 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
I’m in the same boat as bobo. Daughters 10 got a gizmo last year . Programs 10 numbers . I’m out of town for work I know where’s she’s at al times .( if she’s keeps the dang thing charged.) there’s a lot of other settings her mother set on it that makes me feel pretty good about who she can contact and who she can’t . And she asks for a cell phone every year and I’m just dreading it I didn’t want the watch but have become accustomed to it . now a phone and boys and teen years and hormones and drama just make me want to go crawl into a hole and die lol

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664836 08/15/22 02:47 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
And as stated before I hate hate hate hate . Phones and technology it’s like a permanent electronic leash teathering me to work and the wife. The only escape I have is fishing . I let everybody know where I am and I’ll be back when I’m done and I throw it in the center console and go pretend like I know how to fish for the rest of the day 🤣🤣🤣

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664852 08/15/22 02:59 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
My niece is going into second grade and one of her friends has a cell phone with TikTok…I was shocked.

We got both our girls phones this last year 6th and 7th grade. They are not allowed to have any social media though.

One thing that kind of ticked me off last school year was that my then oldest was in 6th grade, first year at the Jr. High and they would tell the kids to take pictures of the board for their homework. They expected that every kid had a phone and to drop off items they had a sign asking you to text them.

I was purposefully trying to hold out and still only made it half the school year before we got her one for Christmas. Luckily she hardly is ever on it, my younger one however we have to regulate.

We have set a pretty hard rule that they aren’t allowed any social media until they are 18.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8664858 08/15/22 03:05 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Man I must be a terrible parent mine has a Gizmo cellphone watch with tracking on it.

Your kids are clearly on their way to being degenerates, Lol.

All of mine have a phone, most are hand me downs from me and the wife's old phones. Only the three oldest have cell service. It is nice to have the tracking, but also, just as important, they can call us ANYTIME if a situation makes them uncomfortable or they need something. I trust my kids more than I do most other people. I also think it is vitally important to have restrictions on what a kid can see or do on their phone and what apps they are allowed to have.

Lol, right!!

Daughters iPads are in lock down and we check them all the time

Same....for my kids, no Youtube, no Tiktok, no IG, no FB, no Snapchat, no social media at all except for BeReal app, and that's only for my oldest. They can text friends, but if not in their contacts they get blocked. Also can set to turn the phones off at a certain time.

There's plenty of ways to set healthy restrictions on kids to limit exposure. Also, reality is by the time they are in middle school they have probably heard or seen most of what we don't want them to anyway at some point.

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: coachwhite34] #8664865 08/15/22 03:15 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by coachwhite34
Cell phones will be the downfall of this country, as an educator I have seen it first hand. It's sad.

The cell phone is only a device. You can't blame the phone any more than you can blame a gun. It's the person using it that counts.

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664874 08/15/22 03:20 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My daughter has had one since she was 12 because her mom and I divorced and I needed to be able to talk to her. She’s 16 now and we’ve had zero issues with her.

My son is 13 next month and doesn’t have one and doesn’t need or want one. He’s too busy riding his bike, playing baseball, and fishing to care.

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: cbump] #8664901 08/15/22 03:56 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by cbump
My daughter has had one since she was 12 because her mom and I divorced and I needed to be able to talk to her. She’s 16 now and we’ve had zero issues with her.

Yep. This is the reason I got cell phones for my kids at an earlier age than I wanted to. Got tired of not being able to call them, was always some excuse from the ex as to why. Parental blockers on those phones are a good thing. Phones were used to call or text parents and nothing else, and was nice not having to go through their mother.

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: SapperTitan] #8664905 08/15/22 03:59 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I don’t know but my son is in 5th grade and he isn’t getting a cell phone anytime soon.

We got both our kids phones when they got into 7th grade so that they could call us if their football and band schedules changed so we picked them up at the right time.

It is not hard to monitor who they talk to, what they look at, or anything else nowadays with the apps that are out there for parents to use. Ours knew full well they were going to be checked on here and there and if they screwed the pooch they'd loose their phone for a good while.

1st grade or even elementary school is way too young IMHO.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8664910 08/15/22 04:06 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I don’t know but my son is in 5th grade and he isn’t getting a cell phone anytime soon.

We got both our kids phones when they got into 7th grade so that they could call us if their football and band schedules changed so we picked them up at the right time.

It is not hard to monitor who they talk to, what they look at, or anything else nowadays with the apps that are out there for parents to use. Ours knew full well they were going to be checked on here and there and if they screwed the pooch they'd loose their phone for a good while.

1st grade or even elementary school is way too young IMHO.

The gizmo watch is a really good solution, my only complaint is battery life. Way cheaper then a cell phone

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664920 08/15/22 04:18 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
bang your grandparents probley thought the same thing whin you drove your car/truck ta school @ age 16.

confused2 bet 90% of kids on this forum are driving newer car/trucks than i am.

It's a new world. Progress.

Most ya'll typing on hand held computers .

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: 1860.colt] #8664923 08/15/22 04:22 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by colt.45
bang your grandparents probley thought the same thing whin you drove your car/truck ta school @ age 16.

No, my parents and even one of my grandparents I knew for sure drove to school at 16. Heck my grandmother was driving to school well before 16.

Last edited by Herbie Hancock; 08/15/22 04:24 PM.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: BradyBuck] #8664961 08/15/22 05:32 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BradyBuck

One thing that kind of ticked me off last school year was that my then oldest was in 6th grade, first year at the Jr. High and they would tell the kids to take pictures of the board for their homework. They expected that every kid had a phone and to drop off items they had a sign asking you to text them.

realmad I don't blame you getting mad. I would say that's a young, not super-intelligent teacher. Some young "adults" can't think outside the box to save their lives. I know this is veering off into the weeds, but I was in a community band in San Antonio. The "kids" that were on the board would just say, regarding a concert, "Just share the promotional flyer on Facebook with your friends", then complain when very few people would attend the concert. The venue was literally across the street from a very large retirement/assisted living facility. 'Never dawned on them to PRINT a few flyers and drop them off at the facility's front desk, or even take the time to ask for the Activities Director and personally invite the folks. A ton of social skills are being lost with the technology and social media. But, as I warned you, I digress.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Creekrunner] #8664965 08/15/22 05:36 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

realmad I don't blame you getting mad. I would say that's a young, not super-intelligent teacher. Some young "adults" can't think outside the box to save their lives. I know this is veering off into the weeds, but I was in a community band in San Antonio. The "kids" that were on the board would just say, regarding a concert, "Just share the promotional flyer on Facebook with your friends", then complain when very few people would attend the concert. The venue was literally across the street from a very large retirement/assisted living facility. 'Never dawned on them to PRINT a few flyers and drop them off at the facility's front desk, or even take the time to ask for the Activities Director and personally invite the folks. A ton of social skills are being lost with the technology and social media. But, as I warned you, I digress.

A lot of schools issue iPads, or combo laptops. My daughter was taking pictures of her sight words homework in the 1st grade

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: BradyBuck] #8664977 08/15/22 05:53 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

We have set a pretty hard rule that they aren’t allowed any social media until they are 18.

I believe that often results in it will be hidden from you until they are 18.

To be determined
Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664980 08/15/22 05:54 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Yeah, now that you mention it, the grandkids have something issued to them for school. I'm officially old and behind the times. But, they DID go back to teaching cursive handwriting. up

Re: Why does a First Grader have a cell phone? [Re: Texas Dan] #8664982 08/15/22 05:55 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
No no no turkey. These devices have safeguards and the parents know everything that happens on them. up

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide