Print Thread
Washing machine repair needed #8661048 08/10/22 10:08 PM
D
drag13honda Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Just curious if any of you were well versed in washing machine repairs (professionally or DIY) or if any of you have a recommendation for a good repairman that would be around or services the Arlington area. Parents have an old basic top load washing machine that is having some issues. Trying to see if there is an inexpensive fix for it before biting the bullet and buying a new machine. Figured I'd reach out here and see if anybody had ideas or knew of "the man" to call. Thanks for any help you can extend my way.

Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: drag13honda] #8661055 08/10/22 10:25 PM
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Buy a new one. Save yourself and them the headache.

Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: drag13honda] #8661063 08/10/22 10:39 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Might try JJ's Appliance Repair 817 343-3959. Comes highly recommended on Nextdoor. I'm going to call about our refer soon.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: drag13honda] #8661066 08/10/22 10:43 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You may be able to do it yourself. What’s happening? Year, make and model? Lots of YouTube videos.

To be determined
Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: drag13honda] #8661070 08/10/22 10:44 PM
D
DeerSlayer31 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Adam the Answer Man on Plano Rd.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8661092 08/10/22 11:09 PM
D
drag13honda Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
You may be able to do it yourself. What’s happening? Year, make and model? Lots of YouTube videos.

I don't know all the details of the washer. I know it's not a super new washer and it's a Roper, made by Whirlpool. Just a regular top load washing machine. I didn't look for anything that had a year or model or anything. I can get more details if I need to.

It fills, drains, and spins just fine. It's when it's agitating the clothes that is causing the issue. Based off of google searches I replaced the "agitator dogs" since they were only a few bucks. The old ones were definitely broken and needing replaced, but that didn't solve the issue. I pulled the lower half of the agitator out to look at the splines to make sure they weren't stripped out and they looked good. From my amateur diagnosis it looks like the base of the agitator is moving slightly, but assumingly not as much as it should in order for the top half to catch and rotate. That's all that I know at this point. Buying new isn't out of the question, but figured if I could figure out what it needs and replace it cheaply, that would get them by until they move.

Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: drag13honda] #8661131 08/10/22 11:56 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I would buy a used unit if I couldn't fix it myself. Probably cost $200 to have someone come out and repair it.
I've never bought a new washer or dryer.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: drag13honda] #8661135 08/11/22 12:00 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: drag13honda] #8661143 08/11/22 12:10 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Just saying, bought a used Maytag once, it lasted 13 years. Needed some work then but i sold it for $25.

Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8661159 08/11/22 12:35 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

This. My maytag washer filled the house with smoke and I thought it was done. I let it cool off and tilted it back and seen melted piece, got on YouTube and watched a few videos and ordered the part for $23 and took me about 10 minutes to put it in, that was 2yrs ago and it’s still going.

🍻
Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: TexFlip] #8661281 08/11/22 02:40 AM
D
drag13honda Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by TexFlip
I would buy a used unit if I couldn't fix it myself. Probably cost $200 to have someone come out and repair it.
I've never bought a new washer or dryer.

I was hoping for it to be something simple and cheap that I would be able to repair myself. I haven't ever had to have one repaired, so I didn't have the slightest idea what that would run. I figured it would be more money than what logically would make sense, so that's good info to have. Definitely not opposed to used, just hoped that someone on here might have dealt with this before. I know they're looking to move out of the metromess in the next couple of years, and likely won't take them with them. I'm just trying to get them out as cheaply as possible for the time being. Thanks for the feedback so far.

Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8661290 08/11/22 02:54 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I've yet to find anything that didn't have YouTube videos showing how to repair it. And what makes the videos even better is how they usually cover the most common problems with specific models. And this includes just about any firearm.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/11/22 02:55 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: Texas Dan] #8661335 08/11/22 06:42 AM
D
drag13honda Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

I've yet to find anything that didn't have YouTube videos showing how to repair it. And what makes the videos even better is how they usually cover the most common problems with specific models. And this includes just about any firearm.

Yessir, I've tried. The problem I'm having is if you look at videos about the agitator not working it mostly brings up videos about the "agitator dogs", which I have already replaced. Aside from that, it's either all videos of the drum not spinning (which it does) or like the top 8 (or so) causes with little to no explanation what it would be doing if that part was out/broken. At that point, if I have to start throwing the top 8 or so parts at it, I might as well just go invest that money into a new one. I sent out some messages to people with used units for sale, we'll see what that turns up.

Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: drag13honda] #8661497 08/11/22 01:35 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Best i remember. This sound like a direct drive washer. The agitator dogs only work the upper cork screw ratchet. If the basket will spin with a LOAD, the problem will be in the transmission.

Now that being said. It is often hard to create a load. Using a gloved hand, you may be able to simulate a load of wet clothes by hold baket and initiating spin. . There is a motor coupling that couples the motor to transmission. The motor reverses direction. One direction pumps out and spins. The other direction cause transmission to agitate. It is a possibility the coupling is broken and slips just in agitate. A broken coupling is slipping pump and spin, just not as evident. Other than coupling, probably time to let it go.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: drag13honda] #8661530 08/11/22 02:13 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Contact Bill Oxner

Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: drag13honda] #8661564 08/11/22 02:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by drag13honda
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Yessir, I've tried. The problem I'm having is if you look at videos about the agitator not working it mostly brings up videos about the "agitator dogs", which I have already replaced. Aside from that, it's either all videos of the drum not spinning (which it does) or like the top 8 (or so) causes with little to no explanation what it would be doing if that part was out/broken. At that point, if I have to start throwing the top 8 or so parts at it, I might as well just go invest that money into a new one. I sent out some messages to people with used units for sale, we'll see what that turns up.

Agreed. The videos can also help you decide when it makes more sense to just throw in the towel and buy a new one. But at least it's a more educated decision.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Washing machine repair needed [Re: DeerSlayer31] #8661613 08/11/22 03:44 PM
Jon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by DeerSlayer31
Adam the Answer Man on Plano Rd.

I'll give a second thumbs up on these guys. The lady - Linda? retired some time back but the current guys are darn knowledgable.
About 6 years ago, She told me how to get the timer knobs reset on an electric range that was built back when brown was in fashion.
I have kept things running for years with their help and diagnosis. Everything from gas dryers to furnaces to refigerators and AC systems. Once, I repaired a circuit board from a refigerator by her telling me what to check and how to re-solder the burned place on the back of the board and make it work again for 5 more years. sorry I can't help with the agitator problem. but worth giving them a call. I bought parts from them for years even though a few bucks cheaper online. I believe in supporting local folks who are good enough to help me.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide