Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pros' and Cons of WSM calibers [Re: WileyCoyote] #8659506 08/08/22 07:34 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I've ben shooting a 300wsm since they came out, now a Sako A7 Tecomate rifle.
Love the ballistics of the 300wsm for our hunting, lots of open country and some thick timber.

I'm at a loss to the recoil comments, it doesn't kick that hard to me and I load some fairly hot loads.
It has dropped everything from grouse to cow bison with 1 shot. A few follow ups too.
It will flat out drop hogs too.

I also have a 270 wsm, BLR. Love that caliber also with 140 gr bullets, dropped my last Shiras moose right nicely.
I do see 300wsm ammo on the shelves up here but I reload so no issues with ammo, have lots of brass set aside.

Re: Pros' and Cons of WSM calibers [Re: WileyCoyote] #8659517 08/08/22 07:55 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I agree with Wytex. I’ve shot my brother’s .300 WSM quite a bit, and the recoil is not bad. My Ruger 77 (boat paddle stock) in .270 Win had more felt recoil. The WSM was not bad even off the bench. I always wanted one of the WSSM calibers (.223, .243, .25) but never bought one. That short, fat cartridge always made me smile.

Re: Pros' and Cons of WSM calibers [Re: J.G.] #8659527 08/08/22 08:24 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by RHutch
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
Does the difference in magazine capacity make a difference to anyone?
I have no experience or dawg in this fight, but just something I noticed. Only 2 in the mag is not much.

That’s only one less in the belly than a typical magnum rifle. I’d not feel undergunned with 3 rounds of 270/7/300 WSM and have had a WSM or two of some flavor for 15 or so years.

Most hunters shoot once.

Doubt many shoot twice, but let's say it's 30%.

Bet it's under 1% that shoot a third round.

I'm talking at the same animal every shot. If you ain't got it done in two, it's probably not going to happen.

Yep. I can recall taking more than one shot at a deer once in my life...and it was really an insurance shot. The first shot had broken the shoulder and was definitely lethal. He was running on his hind legs when I took the 2nd shot. I have avoided rifles with lower capacities in the past, but not because I'm thinking I'd need multiple shots to take down deer. I prefer higher capacities for pigs and yotes. After the first shot, I will fling lead at the rest of the fleeing pack until I can't see them anymore.

Re: Pros' and Cons of WSM calibers [Re: WileyCoyote] #8659572 08/08/22 09:12 PM
Reekax Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I’ve got a Winchester Model 70 in 270 WSM. I like the caliber. Great ballistics and good knock down power. I have heard complaints of feeding issues with this caliber but I have never had that with mine. I own a couple dozen hunting rifles in various calibers including a couple in 6.5-284 and 6.5 creedmore. The 270 WSM gives a bit more pop than the 6.5’s. If you are trying to lung shoot white tails with the 270 WSM at close range you will find that correct bullet selection will be needed. It is so fast that some will pass through the deer without expanding properly and you will get to track for a bit. Been there and done that.

No high fences. We don't hunt zoos. Hunting free range, fair chase game for over 50 Years.
Re: Pros' and Cons of WSM calibers [Re: WileyCoyote] #8659594 08/08/22 09:40 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I have a Tikka 300 WSM that I won from RMEF years ago. The recoil is about the same as my regular 300 WM, maybe a little less. If you can handle the recoil from a 300 WM you can shoot a 300 WSM.

Re: Pros' and Cons of WSM calibers [Re: WileyCoyote] #8659636 08/08/22 10:39 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Scott from Dallas - can't get the Reply thingy to work - Re the bone spurs in my right shoulder: umm 2-3 years ago my local CBOC Dr suggested I try the shots a "traveling" PA was doing and see if I could get any relief in the super tenderness in my shoulder that that the Rehab Lady in Bonham had Id'd during her electro probing Exam that had generated her "Get Used to being a cripple comment".

I agreed and the travelling VA guy did his thing after watching me demo the lack of range in my reach and obvious major pain threshold... 10 minutes later I had a full range of motion for the 1st time in years, and NO PAIN. Only my eye Doc warned me later about that particular drug affecting my Glaucoma issues in the eye that VA Dallas had created almost total blindness in, when they botched several cornea operations at UT Dallas.

My original eye Doc. Dr Henry Gellander, who owns all 4 locations of Cornea Assc's of Texas and is the Vice Chair Eye Surgeon at Presby Dallas. I have almost no vision in my left eye anyway thanks to Dallas VA's years worth of tinkering efforts.

On my 1st VA appt down here out side of Dallas VA's efforts , at Olin Teague in Temple, the Director examined me, arranged another Exam 5 days later with the Head of Baylor Scott & White's Eye Clinic. After the exam he asked who had worked on me, when I asked why, he said "I sit on the Licensing Board for Eye Dr's in this specialty", and told me to say hello for him the next time I saw Dr Gellender. It's been a long battle...and why we no longer live in any VA Dallas service area.

At soon to be 78 next month I'll try almost anything to enhance the Hunting/Shooting experience with the limited time I have left....and the WSM calibers sound like Mo Fun than I am having right now.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Pros' and Cons of WSM calibers [Re: WileyCoyote] #8659688 08/08/22 11:38 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Scott from Dallas - can't get the Reply thingy to work - Re the bone spurs in my right shoulder: umm 2-3 years ago my local CBOC Dr suggested I try the shots a "traveling" PA was doing and see if I could get any relief in the super tenderness in my shoulder that that the Rehab Lady in Bonham had Id'd during her electro probing Exam that had generated her "Get Used to being a cripple comment".

I agreed and the travelling VA guy did his thing after watching me demo the lack of range in my reach and obvious major pain threshold... 10 minutes later I had a full range of motion for the 1st time in years, and NO PAIN. Only my eye Doc warned me later about that particular drug affecting my Glaucoma issues in the eye that VA Dallas had created almost total blindness in, when they botched several cornea operations at UT Dallas.

My original eye Doc. Dr Henry Gellander, who owns all 4 locations of Cornea Assc's of Texas and is the Vice Chair Eye Surgeon at Presby Dallas. I have almost no vision in my left eye anyway thanks to Dallas VA's years worth of tinkering efforts.

On my 1st VA appt down here out side of Dallas VA's efforts , at Olin Teague in Temple, the Director examined me, arranged another Exam 5 days later with the Head of Baylor Scott & White's Eye Clinic. After the exam he asked who had worked on me, when I asked why, he said "I sit on the Licensing Board for Eye Dr's in this specialty", and told me to say hello for him the next time I saw Dr Gellender. It's been a long battle...and why we no longer live in any VA Dallas service area.

At soon to be 78 next month I'll try almost anything to enhance the Hunting/Shooting experience with the limited time I have left....and the WSM calibers sound like Mo Fun than I am having right now.
Ron

Good to hear.
up

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide