texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
coneston, quickshot23, Landdrake, Codclark20, Birddog2022
69970 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,448
bill oxner 91,415
SnakeWrangler 63,402
stxranchman 59,968
Gravytrain 46,719
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
BMD 41,232
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics606,205
Posts11,280,158
Members84,970
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! #8602376 05/21/22 06:20 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,677
T
TRoberts Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,677
Finally got 98% of my parts in and get it together!! Bought a T3 lite 300WM for the base. I then picked up a 22” 6.5prc Proof Research carbon barrel and an M40 style Bell and Carlson stock. Had to do quite a bit of sanding on the front half of the barrel channel to fit and free float the barrel. A Mountain Tactical/Tikka Performance base (has a cool recoil lug built in to fit the tikka action) and leupold rings. Topped it off with a Leupold VX5 3-15x44 firedot. The cheap bipod was temporary and was re-homed. Not sure if I’ll run one or not since it’s a hunting gun and I primarily hunt out of blinds. The only thing I need, that I’m having a hard time finding, is a 5/8x24 shim kit so I can time my ASR muzzle brake and attach my suppressor that way. Then I can shoot it. Praying it groups as good as I want it to!!! Side note, if anyone has any use for a cheap Tikka stock and factory 300WM barrel let me know.

[Linked Image]


Originally Posted By: Sneaky
He gave me plenty.
Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8602398 05/21/22 07:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,862
B
Big Fitz Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,862
Looks great. Looking forward to a range report.


Originally Posted by KRoyal
Sounds like a nice stick Fitz.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8602400 05/21/22 07:15 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 33,766
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 33,766
Can you weigh it without bipod and let us know ?

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8602402 05/21/22 07:19 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,302
B
Blackout Bill Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,302
Very nice. I have a PR barrel on my AR10 in 308. Really trimmed some weight and super high quality.

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8602416 05/21/22 07:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,877
M
mikei Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,877
Very nice, indeed. I, too, am looking forward to range report. I betcha it shoots a good as it looks!

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8602422 05/21/22 07:46 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 17,839
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 17,839
Nice work sir

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: Brother in-law] #8602749 05/22/22 12:23 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,677
T
TRoberts Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,677
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Can you weigh it without bipod and let us know ?


I will try to get a weight later today. I just have a regular home scale so it won’t be super accurate. I think it over weighs me by at least 30min hahahahahaha


Originally Posted By: Sneaky
He gave me plenty.
Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8602831 05/22/22 02:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 176
MrC1G Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 176
Glad to see you sold your Browning. Nice rifle build let us know how it shoots.


MrC1G
NE TX
NRA & NSCA Life; TSRA; V.N. Vet.; CBR owner
Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8603416 05/23/22 02:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,751
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,751
Originally Posted by TRoberts
The only thing I need, that I’m having a hard time finding, is a 5/8x24 shim kit so I can time my ASR muzzle brake and attach my suppressor that way. Then I can shoot it.


I just bought a shim kit from Amazon by a company called Down Range. It comes with 4 small, 4 medium, and 1 large shims. Might give it a try

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: Brother in-law] #8604134 05/24/22 05:07 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,677
T
TRoberts Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,677
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Can you weigh it without bipod and let us know ?


On a cheap bathroom scale it was 8.5lbs for the total rifle. I weighed myself and then weighed myself again holding the rifle.


Originally Posted By: Sneaky
He gave me plenty.
Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8604141 05/24/22 05:20 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 33,766
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 33,766
That’s a good weight

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8604638 05/25/22 04:42 AM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,176
T
tenyearsgone Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,176
Have you had any feeding problems since 6.5 PRC is a SA cartridge?

Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: tenyearsgone] #8604695 05/25/22 11:49 AM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,677
T
TRoberts Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,677
Originally Posted by tenyearsgone
Have you had any feeding problems since 6.5 PRC is a SA cartridge?


I haven’t spent much time messing with it yet. It feeds ok from the 300WM magazine so far. I’m going to order a factory Tikka 6.5 prc 4rd mag anyway so that will clear anything up. All Tikka mags are the same as far as length goes. Since the 6.5 prc is a magnum sized case it just needs a slightly shorter magazine than the long action.


Originally Posted By: Sneaky
He gave me plenty.
Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8657626 08/06/22 12:42 AM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,677
T
TRoberts Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,677
[Linked Image]

Finally had a chance to put some rounds through the rifle at 100yds. The first shooting I did was the top yellow circle. I was aiming at the target below. I wasn’t super happy with the group but it was the first 3 rounds at distance. (I had put 4rds at 25yds to make sure it was on paper). I thought the gap was 4” between each target so I made an adjustment and realized that it was 3” since the single round in the bottom yellow circle was 1” low. So I made another adjustment and then shot the blue circle. All of these rounds so far were with the 147gr ELD-M target rounds. I still wasn’t super pleased with the group but I was hopeful since it was grouping since I plan to reload and work up a round anyway.

I made the switch to 143gr ELD-X (my hunting bullet for this year and more if it performs well) and shot two more rounds in the red circle. I could see that they were touching and 3/4” high. I made the 3 clicks of adjustment and then shot again. That round went dead center if the target. Collectively it appears to be a sub .25moa group across the 3 rounds!!!! To say I’m pleased is an understatement!!!! Considering how well the ELD-X shoots I think I won’t be so rushed to develop a load for it.


Originally Posted By: Sneaky
He gave me plenty.
Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8657632 08/06/22 12:49 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 37,033
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 37,033
You are basing your judgment on the rifle with a whole lot of factors belnded in all at the same time.

New barrel.
Barrel fouling in from being clean.
Adjusting scope improperly.
Changing, inconsistent factory ammo in the middle of the string.

I am sure it will be fine in the end.


[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8657813 08/06/22 05:28 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 27,913
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 27,913
Originally Posted by TRoberts
[Linked Image]

Finally had a chance to put some rounds through the rifle at 100yds. The first shooting I did was the top yellow circle. I was aiming at the target below. I wasn’t super happy with the group but it was the first 3 rounds at distance. (I had put 4rds at 25yds to make sure it was on paper). I thought the gap was 4” between each target so I made an adjustment and realized that it was 3” since the single round in the bottom yellow circle was 1” low. So I made another adjustment and then shot the blue circle. All of these rounds so far were with the 147gr ELD-M target rounds. I still wasn’t super pleased with the group but I was hopeful since it was grouping since I plan to reload and work up a round anyway.

I made the switch to 143gr ELD-X (my hunting bullet for this year and more if it performs well) and shot two more rounds in the red circle. I could see that they were touching and 3/4” high. I made the 3 clicks of adjustment and then shot again. That round went dead center if the target. Collectively it appears to be a sub .25moa group across the 3 rounds!!!! To say I’m pleased is an understatement!!!! Considering how well the ELD-X shoots I think I won’t be so rushed to develop a load for it.

Great rig, you will kill lots of stuff with it. She's a shooter for sure. I assume these are shot with factory ammo?


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: New 6.5PRC Tikka build!! [Re: TRoberts] #8657818 08/06/22 06:23 AM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 448
T
ThreeFingerPete Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
T
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 448
Originally Posted by TRoberts
... The only thing I need, that I’m having a hard time finding, is a 5/8x24 shim kit so I can time my ASR muzzle brake and attach my suppressor that way.

[Linked Image]

https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/shim-kit/

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3