Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best Trailer Tires #8656381 08/04/22 05:16 PM
S
Stompy Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Need to put new 15" trailer tires on my 16' utility trailer, what are the best quality brands? Prefer 10 ply but will settle for 8 ply. Thanks

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: Stompy] #8656440 08/04/22 06:20 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Depending on size, Goodyear Endurance, and they are 10 ply

To be determined
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: Stompy] #8656444 08/04/22 06:25 PM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
It seems all trailer tires suck anymore. Just buy heaviest ply and plan to replace every 2 years.

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: jhenderson] #8656490 08/04/22 07:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by jhenderson
It seems all trailer tires suck anymore. Just buy heaviest ply and plan to replace every 2 years.

This 99% come from same factory in China. Same tread pattern rebranded side wall.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8656504 08/04/22 07:43 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

This 99% come from same factory in China. Same tread pattern rebranded side wall.

Goodyear Endurance trailer tires are manufactured in the USA.

Big 5er 14 ply tires the generally best ones are Sailun tires made in China believe it or not. They are commercial grade.

To be determined
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8656535 08/04/22 08:20 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

Big 5er 14 ply tires the generally best ones are Sailun tires made in China believe it or not. They are commercial grade.

Blew one last fall, lasted two years. They are an 8ply in a 205, which is most ultility trailer sizing

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 08/04/22 09:35 PM. Reason: Utility

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: Stompy] #8656547 08/04/22 08:28 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I just replaced at set of 4 on my boat trailer. I purchased these: TowMax. So far so good.

Why is it you can not use passenger tires for a trailer? I found some good passenger tires, but I had 2 places tell me they don't recommend.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: ChadTRG42] #8656572 08/04/22 08:44 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I just replaced at set of 4 on my boat trailer. I purchased these: TowMax. So far so good.

Why is it you can not use passenger tires for a trailer? I found some good passenger tires, but I had 2 places tell me they don't recommend.

I don’t know, but I’m guessing width, maybe.

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: Stompy] #8656603 08/04/22 09:14 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
E-Rated Light Truck tires. I will never own another trailer tire. I like Michelin and they have several models that work well on trailers.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8656619 08/04/22 09:30 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Blew one last fall, lasted two years. They are an 8ply in a 205, which is most ultimately trailer sizing

You might need a higher load rated, possibly larger tire for the weight.

To be determined
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: ChadTRG42] #8656622 08/04/22 09:35 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

They don’t have the design support for trailer operation.

“Car tires should not be used on a trailer. It is dangerous because the load difference and the size typically don't match. The sides on trailer tires are stiffer to enhance the load-bearing capacity.”

To be determined
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: kry226] #8656626 08/04/22 09:40 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by kry226
E-Rated Light Truck tires. I will never own another trailer tire. I like Michelin and they have several models that work well on trailers.

That’s generally true for like an Airstream or small utility trailer.

Our fiver uses P285/80R16s so we mount commercial grade 14 ply Sailun trailer tires. Hercules is also a good brand if you can find them.

To be determined
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: ChadTRG42] #8656633 08/04/22 09:51 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

"Passenger" car tires are 4 ply. They work fine on small utility trailers, John Boats etc, but not rated for much load. LT (Light Truck) tires start at 6 ply. Trailer tires are manufactured differently for their intended purpose. I'm not a fan of most trailer tires on the market today though, either bias ply or radial. I've had much better luck with 10 ply truck tires on boats & campers, way less blow outs under a load. Most people don't realize that the majority of trailer tires are rated at a max speed of 70 under a load at full pressure. Lots of folks going faster than that hauling boats & campers, add to that improper inflation and aged tires and it's blow out city.

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: Stompy] #8656642 08/04/22 10:02 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Stompy
Need to put new 15" trailer tires on my 16' utility trailer, what are the best quality brands? Prefer 10 ply but will settle for 8 ply. Thanks

I'm a fan of Greenball Corporation tires, back when I was in the tire business they were better than any other brand of trailer tire I sold or handled.

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: skinnerback] #8656643 08/04/22 10:02 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by skinnerback

"Passenger" car tires are 4 ply. They work fine on small utility trailers, John Boats etc, but not rated for much load. LT (Light Truck) tires start at 6 ply. Trailer tires are manufactured differently for their intended purpose. I'm not a fan of most trailer tires on the market today though, either bias ply or radial. I've had much better luck with 10 ply truck tires, way less blow outs under a load. Most people don't realize that the majority of trailer tires are rated at a max speed of 70 under a load at full pressure. Lots of folks going faster than that hauling boats & campers, add to that improper inflation and aged tires and it's blow out city.

Yeah my Jayco travel trailer should not be pulled faster than 60 mph I am told

You can't fix stupid
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: tlk] #8656647 08/04/22 10:05 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by tlk

"Passenger" car tires are 4 ply. They work fine on small utility trailers, John Boats etc, but not rated for much load. LT (Light Truck) tires start at 6 ply. Trailer tires are manufactured differently for their intended purpose. I'm not a fan of most trailer tires on the market today though, either bias ply or radial. I've had much better luck with 10 ply truck tires, way less blow outs under a load. Most people don't realize that the majority of trailer tires are rated at a max speed of 70 under a load at full pressure. Lots of folks going faster than that hauling boats & campers, add to that improper inflation and aged tires and it's blow out city.

Yeah my Jayco travel trailer should not be pulled faster than 60 mph I am told

Yes Sir, 60 used to be the max pretty much overall and still is with certain brands.

My BIL has a 5'th wheel and drug that thing taking the family camping all over the place, for years he ran trailer tires and had too many blowouts to count. Blew 2 at the same time once, and tore up all kinds of chit on the camper because he likes to haul azz. I tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen. Finally, he bought a new set of 10 ply truck tires and hasn't had a blow out since LOL.

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: Stompy] #8656656 08/04/22 10:13 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I had about a dozen blow outs on my work trailer one summer. I chalked it up to there being entirely too much weight on them. I found that doing 70 instead of 80 helped more than anything. I only had a couple blow outs after that.

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: skinnerback] #8656701 08/04/22 11:12 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

"Passenger" car tires are 4 ply. They work fine on small utility trailers, John Boats etc, but not rated for much load. LT (Light Truck) tires start at 6 ply. Trailer tires are manufactured differently for their intended purpose. I'm not a fan of most trailer tires on the market today though, either bias ply or radial. I've had much better luck with 10 ply truck tires on boats & campers, way less blow outs under a load. Most people don't realize that the majority of trailer tires are rated at a max speed of 70 under a load at full pressure. Lots of folks going faster than that hauling boats & campers, add to that improper inflation and aged tires and it's blow out city.

I’m about to upgrade to something. This continuous china bomb replacement is getting old quick.

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8656719 08/04/22 11:31 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I’m about to upgrade to something. This continuous china bomb replacement is getting old quick.

Weigh your trailer at some Cat scales with a typical load. Make sure your tires have the proper load rating. Make sure to use the correct pressure from the tire chart based on load. If you had a Goodyear Endurance fail prematurely then something is wrong.

To be determined
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8656734 08/04/22 11:52 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Weigh your trailer at some Cat scales with a typical load. Make sure your tires have the proper load rating. Make sure to use the correct pressure from the tire chart based on load. If you had a Goodyear Endurance fail prematurely then something is wrong.

It’s not a heavy trailer, it’s mid weight, 15x74 I think, I put about 7k miles a year on it, but seldom is it loaded loaded. It does get pulled a lot on clitche roads

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: Stompy] #8656735 08/04/22 11:53 PM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
BassCat has put car tires on their trailers for years, currently using General Altimax and say they haven’t heard of any problems.

Last edited by P_102; 08/04/22 11:54 PM.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: Stompy] #8656761 08/05/22 12:35 AM
J
jimbob Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Maxxis

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: P_102] #8656773 08/05/22 12:50 AM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by P_102
BassCat has put car tires on their trailers for years, currently using General Altimax and say they haven’t heard of any problems.

It all depends on the load

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: Stompy] #8656778 08/05/22 12:55 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I have used light truck tires on trailers all of my life with zero issues. Then all of a sudden in my 60's I'm told I have to have "trailer" tires on a heavy center console boat. Before selling the boat I had two blowouts in recent years.

Fast forward and I put I think Towmax trailer tires on a brand new single axle 14' flatbed. I put new tires on new trailer because the tires that came on it were pure D crap tires. Last summer I ran as fast as I could get away with in July with 105 temps across north Texas with a 4-seat Polaris RZR. North of Raton, NM I chased a Dodge Cummins until I said this is nuts and let off. I get to CO and tell the family member owner of the RZR the speeds I ran and he said trailer tires were rated for 60. I looked and I think it said 65.

No more trailer tires for me.

Re: Best Trailer Tires [Re: Stompy] #8657091 08/05/22 01:31 PM
P
PigMoney Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
I have a set of Hercules like below on a hog trailer that are 10 years old and definitely need replaced but they still say "made in USA" stamped on the side so I'm gonna run them till they blow. Like most, they're made in China now.
https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-Power-75R15-117L-68146/dp/B006UH6U9M

I have a set of Maxxis M8008 225/75/16 on another trailer that are 7 years old and have been great tires no complaints.

“We don’t rent pigs!”- Hat Creek Cattle Company
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide