Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Done with duck hunting #8654356 08/02/22 04:26 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
Just wondering how many of yall have run into people or maybe you are personally pretty much done with duck hunting?

I've run into a few people over the last couple years, not buddies, more just shooting the [censored] with hunters at the ramp or gas station that say they've had it with duck hunting. These people said their tired of not being able to consistently find birds and the rat race of public land.

I dont know how many of them are really giving it up. But I get it, its a tough game to play especially working full time and family obligations.

What are your thoughts? Are there still just as many people as ever into duck hunting or is the duck dynasty crowd starting to fade?

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8654389 08/02/22 11:03 AM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
They weren't duck hunters to begin with. I can say I've slowed wayyyy down over the last 5 years. Life got in the way. I can't tell you how many times I just sat in a blind and told the rest to shoot my birds. ( internet game wardens, I already know).

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8654483 08/02/22 01:29 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I've duck hunted public lakes in Texas for more than 40 years. Not all that much has changed, still have to put in the time to find the birds, put up with idiots at the boat ramp, setting up too close etc.

Being in my late 60's I have also slowed wayyyy down, however I still love the game with my dog, the sunrises and the challenge of decoying birds.

Yes, it's a tough game but you know when the going gets tough...

Good luck to the real duck ( and goose) hunters this year!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8654526 08/02/22 02:01 PM
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
I’ve reduced my duck hunting to 100% private and probably about a dozen times a year. The reward for hard work at great expense on public the last few years hasn’t been favorable…For deer hunting I just walk out the house about 200yds, so that’s extremely convenient.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8654615 08/02/22 03:33 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I don't know anyone personally that has called it quits. On one hand, with gas prices and inflation being what they are I could see some folks slowing down. But on the other hand, when the central flyway breeding grounds have a good spring/summer and TX is dry (like it is this year), it equates to a damn good season.

I do wonder at what point I'll stop going alone crossing big water, but I'm not there yet. I have gotten more and more selective about the weather conditions tho. I don't mind cold as it can get, but I don't mess around with crazy wind or lightning in the boat.

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8654638 08/02/22 04:02 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I quit 10 years ago, just kind of gradually happened. First my dog died, then my hunting podna moved to Ganado, then had to sell my boat (divorce), and then the final nail in the coffin was I moved to North Texas and didn't know anyone who did any kind of bird hunting.
Then last fall something happened, my new wife was helping me clean out my shed in Huntsville, so I could sell the house, and we were moving a bunch of decoys and she asked why I had 4 dozen "toy" ducks, and I told her I used to duck hunt, and she asked why "used to" , and I listed all the above reasons, but admitted I mostly missed the dog. Then I got a lab pup for Valentines day, so who knows what the future holds.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: Kevin Heath] #8654653 08/02/22 04:26 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
I quit 10 years ago, just kind of gradually happened. First my dog died, then my hunting podna moved to Ganado, then had to sell my boat (divorce), and then the final nail in the coffin was I moved to North Texas and didn't know anyone who did any kind of bird hunting.
Then last fall something happened, my new wife was helping me clean out my shed in Huntsville, so I could sell the house, and we were moving a bunch of decoys and she asked why I had 4 dozen "toy" ducks, and I told her I used to duck hunt, and she asked why "used to" , and I listed all the above reasons, but admitted I mostly missed the dog. Then I got a lab pup for Valentines day, so who knows what the future holds.

Sounds like a keeper. Lucky man.

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: Kevin Heath] #8654667 08/02/22 04:47 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Kevin Heath

Basically same story here, but no boat. It's tough losing the dog. roflmao

Started going with friends a few times the past 3-4 seasons and the bug has definitely bitten again. Back to buying shells by the case last year, all three of the boys are now asking for a new pup, and middle son has his first 'duck kazoo'.

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8654754 08/02/22 06:28 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Like most things in life, I think as a duck hunter you go thru phases. I've pulled the trigger enough. Now it's about teaching the kids and watching them have fun or watching the dog work. Long gone are the 2-3AM wake up calls and dealing with the nonsense you have to deal with on public. The older I get the more I'm about maximizing the enjoyment of the limited time I have to hunt. That and my kids are the reason I purchased land this year and started to develop a wetland. I think I'm more excited about the entire planning and work process to see if this pans out like I envision than I am actually hunting it.

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8654787 08/02/22 07:02 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
When I retired my dog the flame was blown out. I put her down the Sunday before this last Christmas. I have zero desire to fight the public crowd and with leases being what they are and with very few ducks...the desire is gone. I've gotten back into chasing 4 legged critters with a rifle and don't miss it. I do try to get in a couple dove hunts a year to scratch the bird itch but even then...not the same without my dog. There isn't enough birds and with it not being a priority...no reason to train and spend the time to get a good one.

Y'all can have it...

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655247 08/03/22 03:56 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I’ll say me and my 2 duck hunting buddies have slowed down significantly over the last few years. We all have kids in elementary-jr high now. Our jobs have become more demanding etc…

I still go more than any of us, just end up going solo more now.

I have however noticed an overall increase in waterfowl hunters in my area over the last 5 years.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655439 08/03/22 02:04 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Hunting public solo, which is what I like, in a boat is dangerous, so I'm slowing down a bit as a get older (I'm 60), and taking more precautions. I take the time now to enjoy the whole duck hunting experience, preparing for the hunt, the scouting and camping with my dog, the hunt, and the culinary side of duck hunting. Last year I would hunt one weekend, let my ducks age all week, then the next weekend have fun cooking the ducks.

Last couple years I have gotten back into snow sking, so that has competed with duck hunting, this year I'm going to try and save my ski trips till after January, and focus more on duck hunting. Really looking forward to this hunting season, but I'm not fanatic about it like I use to be. I used to take a week off at a time and duck hunt all week, those days are past me. Maybe when I retire I'll duck hunt more.

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655455 08/03/22 02:29 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Guy. That’s not the 1st time I’ve seen you mention the dangers of hunting. You really feel that way? I feel it’s more dangerous driving to the hole than hunting.

Regardless you might think about getting a spot or a garmin In reach and having it buckled to your waders if it will give momma, the kids and yourself some peace of mind.

Last edited by ducknbass; 08/03/22 02:29 PM.
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655525 08/03/22 04:01 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I hunt by myself. It is a lot of work, up 2 am, drive to the hunt, put out the decoys, etc. There are areas where you get all the action right at sun up. On one hunt, on public land, there was a guy chasing ducks with his boat- driving them to a blind his buddies were in. Totally illegal. I'd join a private club/lease, etc. if I wanted to get back in it big time. So, now- occasional duck hunter.

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: ducknbass] #8655526 08/03/22 04:02 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Guy. That’s not the 1st time I’ve seen you mention the dangers of hunting. You really feel that way? I feel it’s more dangerous driving to the hole than hunting.

Regardless you might think about getting a spot or a garmin In reach and having it buckled to your waders if it will give momma, the kids and yourself some peace of mind.

Yes I do feel that way. Heading accross a stump loaded lake at dark 30 in the morning, solo, in freezing weather, in a boat that will sink if it takes on water, that is very dangerous. I have also lost a lot of weight (40lbs), I’m like zero fat these days, one thing I have learned cold hits you much harder without that layer of fat. But with less weight and being in shape, I stand a better chance of pulling myself back into the boat if I get thrown, something I probably could not have done 40lbs overweight.

I take many precautions, 5mm waders, wader belt, life jacked, yes phone strapped to outside of my life jacket, I do use life 360 app, so my family knows we’re I am all the time. I probably should get a garmin unit or something better, if there is no cell coverage I do not go out. I also take my trolling motor with me and 3 batteries in case my motor fails. Started packing propane heater last year.

I take these danger’s very seriously, I take my time making sure boat is good, going through my check list, and I take my time headed across the lake. I don’t race and rush to beat Barney like I use too.

I can recall at least 3 posts where boat duck hunters have posted mishaps on this forum, and they are lucky to be alive.

1) One on Ray Roberts, one of the very first posts I remember, boat took on water, cap sized, boat floated lucky for them, 2 were able to get out of the water and get on top of the hull, one had to stay in the water no room on top for 3. Can't remember how they were rescued.

2) One on Grapevine, boat completely sunk. Can't remember how they survived.

3) Duckkiller (spelling??) on here, thrown from his mud boat after hitting a stump, solo, motor did not shut off, he got chopped up, not sure how he survived either.

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655610 08/03/22 06:25 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Seems we lose a group of duck hunters per season on the coast due to various reasons. It's a dangerous game, and that's before you even uncase your gun.

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655622 08/03/22 06:59 PM
K
Kodyjoe2016 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Got into it big time few years ago til dam lake took my hunting spots. Still have a few pools I can hunt and always birds there. Just don't go like I used to

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655686 08/03/22 08:22 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Never was real big into duck hunting but did enjoy it, did the private thing but cost has put that out of reach now. No one I know duck hunts so I will live vicariously through you ladies and gents.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: BradyBuck] #8655692 08/03/22 08:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
I’ll say me and my 2 duck hunting buddies have slowed down significantly over the last few years. We all have kids in elementary-jr high now.

High school age kids in sports will put the kibosh on most any recreational activity if your regulated to weekend-only hunts.

I am glad my kids are into something constructive, but I will not miss select baseball when its over.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655728 08/03/22 09:15 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I've slowed way down. Think I went on a grand total of 3 hunts last year. From probably age 16 until 30 it was a hunt once a week for sure and most weeks twice a week for the entire season.

May not even go this year.

Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: Guy] #8655807 08/03/22 11:13 PM
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Yes I do feel that way. Heading accross a stump loaded lake at dark 30 in the morning, solo, in freezing weather, in a boat that will sink if it takes on water, that is very dangerous. I have also lost a lot of weight (40lbs), I’m like zero fat these days, one thing I have learned cold hits you much harder without that layer of fat. But with less weight and being in shape, I stand a better chance of pulling myself back into the boat if I get thrown, something I probably could not have done 40lbs overweight.

I take many precautions, 5mm waders, wader belt, life jacked, yes phone strapped to outside of my life jacket, I do use life 360 app, but so my family knows we’re I am all the time. I probably should get a garmin unit or something better, if there is no cell coverage I do not go out. I also take my trolling motor with me and 3 batteries in case my motor fails. Started packing propane heater last year.

I take these danger’s very seriously, I take my time making sure boat is good, going through my check list, and I take my time headed across the lake. I don’t race and rush to beat Barney like I use too.

I can recall at least 3 posts where boat duck hunters have posted mishaps on this forum, and they are lucky to be alive.

1) One on Ray Roberts, one of the very first posts I remember, boat took on water, cap sized, boat floated lucky for them, 2 were able to get out of the water and get on top of the hull, one had to stay in the water no room on top for 3. Can't remember how they were rescued.

2) One on Grapevine, boat completely sunk. Can't remember how they survived.

3) Duckkiller (spelling??) on here, thrown from his mud boat after hitting a stump, solo, motor did not shut off, he got chopped up, not sure how he survived either.

I have some public spots where I am WAY out there and solo. If I was to be physically incapacitated it would mean big trouble. Help would be hours away at best, they’d have trouble finding me, and getting me out would be serious work for the responders. hopefully it’s not a time sensitive injury involving blood loss! Super easy to break an ankle walking through some of the stuff.

Further, the drive home can be dangerous due to fatigue. I’m much better now, but I recall dozing off a little one time and peaked my eyes back open to heading towards a power line. There was also one time o had to work after a hunt, and have no effing clue how I got there. No more…

It’s dangerous stuff.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655815 08/03/22 11:23 PM
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
How do you like that life 360 app Guy? I've been thinking of something like that so the wife can always know where I'm at incase something happens.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655821 08/03/22 11:29 PM
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
During highschool and college I hunted alot, as much as I could. Then when I graduated college, my lab was old and I was busy starting my career and had grown up responsibilities so didn't do much duck hunting.

Got a golden retriever a few years ago, now at 39 I'm established in my career. Have plenty of PTO, and although my 9 year old daughter keeps me busy with her activities and the wife gets a little pissy when I've been hunting 3-4 days a week, I still hunt alot.

Between dove, teal, and duck season I'm normally getting 40+ hunts in a season. Im pretty ate up with it, but I have an obsessive personality when I get into things.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655862 08/04/22 12:31 AM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I'm down from about 50 hunts a season (between early teal and waterfowl) to only about half of that the last 2 seasons. I just don't care much to go shoot a bunch of teal and spoonbills around southeast Texas anymore. All while getting eaten alive by mosquitos. It sure doesn't help that the hunting has been horrible recently. 90% of my decision to go hunting is based on whether or not I can hunt my dog and who I am hunting with.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Done with duck hunting [Re: 2flyfish4] #8655867 08/04/22 12:35 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Yeah I still like it. If I didn’t have a decent dog I would not go. Getting the birds to work and watching the dogs is the hook for me. Witnessing the dog work has never lost its shine for me.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide