Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Geico auto insurance advice needed #8655194 08/03/22 02:55 AM
W
Whammer7 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
W
My wife got hit by someone with Geico insurance in her car, pretty much head on. The car may or may not be totalled, just don't know yet, wife has a hurt neck.

I have heard bad things about Geico as far as paying out what they should. Anybody have any advice on how we should play this deal with Geico? The other driver (Geico insurance) as ticketed, so no doubt as to who was at fault.

With vehicles costing what they cost now, we have to be able to replace this thing if the vehicle is totalled on the insurance payout.

"Sometimes, too much to drink is barely enough"

Mark Twain
Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655245 08/03/22 03:50 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Contact your insurance company and let them handle your car and your wife. They care more about y’all than the other company ever will. They will settle with Geico on the back end

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: BigPig] #8655257 08/03/22 04:34 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by BigPig
Contact your insurance company and let them handle your car and your wife. They care more about y’all than the other company ever will. They will settle with Geico on the back end

Not very good advice! It can cost you if you have any type of “no claims” discount on your policy and personal lines insurance companies seldom go through subrogation these days. Give Geico a chance to handle the claim in good faith, my claim was handled just fine by Geico. Claim service in general sucks these days but all companies seem to suck equally. Short staffed, back ordered parts, ect… can take a bit to close one out.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655260 08/03/22 04:48 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Some guys say I’m nuts but I deal with insurance claims fairly often and I’ve learned to just let a lawyer handle it especially if someone’s injured. I’m not a lawyer fan in general but I ran out of patience playing the games and the back and forth they love to play. When someone knows the ins and outs of what’s going on it most definitely helps you in the long run. I’m certain it causes all insurance premiums to rise in the long run but if insurance companies did the right thing up front nobody would have to resort to lawyers but unfortunately they generally only have one thing on books,,, save themselves money..

If they don’t total it make sure you get payed for diminished value on your car as well, the insurance company will fight this to the bitter end but I got a $14,000 check from an accident several months ago. Something most people know nothing about,

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: BigPig] #8655271 08/03/22 07:21 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

up

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Ol Thumper] #8655272 08/03/22 07:22 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Some guys say I’m nuts but I deal with insurance claims fairly often and I’ve learned to just let a lawyer handle it especially if someone’s injured. I’m not a lawyer fan in general but I ran out of patience playing the games and the back and forth they love to play. When someone knows the ins and outs of what’s going on it most definitely helps you in the long run. I’m certain it causes all insurance premiums to rise in the long run but if insurance companies did the right thing up front nobody would have to resort to lawyers but unfortunately they generally only have one thing on books,,, save themselves money..

If they don’t total it make sure you get payed for diminished value on your car as well, the insurance company will fight this to the bitter end but I got a $14,000 check from an accident several months ago. Something most people know nothing about,

$14,000 check doesn't sound like much money unless the car was old, or was this for pain and suffering?

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Leonardo] #8655276 08/03/22 08:55 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Leonardo

Not very good advice! It can cost you if you have any type of “no claims” discount on your policy and personal lines insurance companies seldom go through subrogation these days. Give Geico a chance to handle the claim in good faith, my claim was handled just fine by Geico. Claim service in general sucks these days but all companies seem to suck equally. Short staffed, back ordered parts, ect… can take a bit to close one out.

It can cost you even if you don’t file it on your insurance. I was rear ended by a lady, she demanded a police report. We were both given each other’s contact info, I never called her insurance or mine, upon renewal I was notified of the increase in premiums thanks to that bitch

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655279 08/03/22 09:44 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
If the other party is OBVIUOSLY at fault, I would just let GEICO handle the whole thing. In a situation where someone else is OBVIOUSLY at fault and there is the potential of bodily injury being involved, the pother party's insurance should be most interested in doing what is right and quickly move to settle the claim. It's just the way it works. Speak with your agent and let them know about what is going on and seek their advice on the matter. if you were one of my clients, I would instruct you as follows:

Filing it with your insurance means you get the value of your vehicle minus the deductible and then GEICO will later pay that deductible when they all "settle up". In a case like you have described, this should not take very long. If your vehicle is not totaled and is to be repaired, allowing GEICO to respond will also provide for a rent vehicle while your auto is being repaired. If you have rental reimbursement coverage on your policy, this will be a moot point.

Your policy likely has very little coverage to respond to whatever it is that is going on with your wife. Maybe only $2,500. It is my hope and most often the case that the soreness in her neck (whiplash) will get worse this day, but will eventually leave her body entirely. Consult with a doctor, pay the bill and keep record. In addition, your insurance is company is not your arbiter on dealing with your wife's soreness with GEICO. Plain & simple, they don't have a seat at this table.

Make sure GEICO has your contact information. Do not rely on the other party nor the LEO to provide them with what is needed. If you have not already been in contact with GEICO, you need to do so now immediately and at this time. Police reports often come out a week after an incident and GEICO won't know who you are. Even when produced, these reports typically provide a mailing address and do not include specific contact info so valuable these days - e-mail address and cell number.

In addition and at first, the GEICO adjuster will be non-commital. Typically, they do not just swallow the sword, accept all responsibility and tell you to just go about and immediately start repairing stuff. Just be patient. This is because they have a due diligence to get al the information prior to accepting liability. Their "investigation" will include a statement from their insured, a statement from your wife and access to the incident report. Once liability is accepted, then matters should progress quickly.

So sorry you have to go through this. PM me if you have questions and I will help you as best I can.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655301 08/03/22 10:56 AM
R
ralph Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
My son lives in the metroplex and has GEICO, He had a fender bender, contacted GEICO and had his truck repaired and claim settled in less than 3 weeks with no issues at all.

I was leery when he went with GEICO but based on his experience I have considered switching my insurance.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655306 08/03/22 11:12 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Hudbone
If the other party is OBVIUOSLY at fault, I would just let GEICO handle the whole thing. In a situation where someone else is OBVIOUSLY at fault and there is the potential of bodily injury being involved, the pother party's insurance should be most interested in doing what is right and quickly move to settle the claim. It's just the way it works. Speak with your agent and let them know about what is going on and seek their advice on the matter. if you were one of my clients, I would instruct you as follows:

Filing it with your insurance means you get the value of your vehicle minus the deductible and then GEICO will later pay that deductible when they all "settle up". In a case like you have described, this should not take very long. If your vehicle is not totaled and is to be repaired, allowing GEICO to respond will also provide for a rent vehicle while your auto is being repaired. If you have rental reimbursement coverage on your policy, this will be a moot point.

Your policy likely has very little coverage to respond to whatever it is that is going on with your wife. Maybe only $2,500. It is my hope and most often the case that the soreness in her neck (whiplash) will get worse this day, but will eventually leave her body entirely. Consult with a doctor, pay the bill and keep record. In addition, your insurance is company is not your arbiter on dealing with your wife's soreness with GEICO. Plain & simple, they don't have a seat at this table.

Make sure GEICO has your contact information. Do not rely on the other party nor the LEO to provide them with what is needed. If you have not already been in contact with GEICO, you need to do so now immediately and at this time. Police reports often come out a week after an incident and GEICO won't know who you are. Even when produced, these reports typically provide a mailing address and do not include specific contact info so valuable these days - e-mail address and cell number.

In addition and at first, the GEICO adjuster will be non-commital. Typically, they do not just swallow the sword, accept all responsibility and tell you to just go about and immediately start repairing stuff. Just be patient. This is because they have a due diligence to get al the information prior to accepting liability. Their "investigation" will include a statement from their insured, a statement from your wife and access to the incident report. Once liability is accepted, then matters should progress quickly.

So sorry you have to go through this. PM me if you have questions and I will help you as best I can.

^^^^^ Sage advice.

[Linked Image]
Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655316 08/03/22 11:33 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I am in the auto industry and GEICO is the worst national car insurance company but they still have to follow the rules.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655333 08/03/22 11:52 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That neck injury could be a bad deal. She may have pain for decades to come. I know from experience.

Get her thoroughly checked out before you sign off on a claim.

Make America Great Again

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: BigPig] #8655354 08/03/22 12:20 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Best advice right here. DO NOT speak to GEICO at all.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: GasGuzzler] #8655368 08/03/22 12:35 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
I am in the auto industry and GEICO is the worst national car insurance company but they still have to follow the rules.

GEICO is horrible for homeowners as well, Why anyone would use them is beyond me, I guess they save a few dollars, but they get bent over in the end by Gieco when they deny the claim.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: The Dude Abides] #8655421 08/03/22 01:48 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

Horrible advice. Let's get this done by being contentious seems to be the message and that won't work well and definitely against your better interests.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: RedRanger] #8655488 08/03/22 03:05 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by RedRanger
GEICO is horrible for homeowners as well, Why anyone would use them is beyond me, I guess they save a few dollars, but they get bent over in the end by Gieco when they deny the claim.

I've only ever had two home owners claims. The first was with State Farm. Went fine. Small compared to the second. The second was a large loss claim with "Geico" (Lloyds of London). That was about $350k. Couldn't have gone better. Yeah, yeah, small sample size, but it was my experience. Read some more detail about at https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...472/re-home-owners-insurance#Post7742472.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655493 08/03/22 03:11 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I'm with Hud on this one. With a potential medical claim to go along with the auto damage, I believe GEICO will bend over backwards to get this thing settled quickly. Insurance Co's hate lawsuits as much as anyone, as all it takes is a sympathetic jury that could take them to the cleaners.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655495 08/03/22 03:12 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Only one homeowner claim but numerous auto claims over my life. I think the actual person handling the claim makes a bigger difference than the company. Luck of the draw.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655511 08/03/22 03:44 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Nothing good can come from notifying your insurance...take care of this or hire an attny.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655534 08/03/22 04:07 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
With an injury- I'd speak to an attorney.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Hudbone] #8655540 08/03/22 04:15 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Horrible advice. Let's get this done by being contentious seems to be the message and that won't work well and definitely against your better interests.

Horrible advice on your part. You pay YOUR insurance company to deal with their insurance company. Anytime I had a problem MY insurance company dealt with the other parties insurance company. Why do I want that headache. Carry on!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655553 08/03/22 04:33 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
My little Jap Krap Rouge was slammed into by a Suburban in May, because of supply chain issues I still haven't had my Rouge returned my insurance has paid the body shop. Just hoping your wife's car is not a foreign job.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: The Dude Abides] #8655575 08/03/22 05:13 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

Horrible advice on your part. You pay YOUR insurance company to deal with their insurance company. Anytime I had a problem MY insurance company dealt with the other parties insurance company. Why do I want that headache. Carry on!

Nice reply on something you know little or nothing about, offering little if anything in the way of substance, but yet your voice is heard. You sound like a Biden supporter.

There is no part (zero) of the uni-lateral contract known as an insurance policy where your insurance company is obligated to serve as an intermediary on your behalf - as in nada. Once they get a stake in it and pay for the damages serving to provide their own financial interest, then yes the company has a monetary stake in it and through a process known as subrogation, they go back and get their money and whatever you paid out. That is typically not very quick. In addition, you DO NOT pay your insurance company to deal with their insurance company. Frankly, it is a rather ignorant statement.

In this case and if it truly is "CLEAR CUT" as to who is at fault, the other party's coverage is obligated to respond without any personal outlays and, well, just take care of the whole thing. Putting this issue on steroids is the potential for a bodily injury claim, something his own insurance company has no stake in and will do nothing with. it just seems simple to understand utilizing the at fault party's insurance would seem most appropriate to the more prudent people within our society and on this forum. I say this fully realizing his insurance may end up with the deal anyway - if the other party's insurance is no longer in effect or if the determination of just who is liable somehow runs awry.

Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655580 08/03/22 05:25 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hudbone knows insurance.

To be determined
Re: Geico auto insurance advice needed [Re: Whammer7] #8655581 08/03/22 05:26 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Besides what's already been mentioned,

Try to find out real quick what the other drivers limit on property damage (liability) is - and if it will even cover the total value of your car (if totaled).
Is your own policy high enough (collision) to cover full value, in case theirs isn't?

Dealing with the other insurance co first, will likely take months and months. They won't even begin to move till they get a copy of the police report - and that can be delayed weeks and weeks.

Be aware too that Medical injury (limits) are separate from property damage limits.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide