Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bug out bag question [Re: HandyMan91] #8654259 08/02/22 01:38 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Don't forget your white sunglasses and flat billed cap over your ears.

Bug Out Bags are simply a marketing tool to sell all that CHIT to all the young Tacticool dudes
See TDK's comment above. He's right.

Make sure you pack your Black Rifle Coffee and the latest 511 Tactical clothing. I think they just came out with the new, Fall clothing Preview.

And you manscaping tool with extra batteries. Gotta keep that Navy Seal Operator beard looking right.

now, being armed at home and while out and about is a must and I do agree, don't bring a handgun to a rifle fight. But trying to escape a nuclear war, there ain't enough chit in a BOB to last 3 days

I could go on, but most have quit reading by now.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: Buzzsaw] #8654267 08/02/22 01:47 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Bug Out Bags are simply a marketing tool to sell all that CHIT to all the young Tacticool dudes

Make sure you pack your Black Rifle Coffee and the latest 511 Tactical clothing. I think they just came out with the new, Fall clothing Preview.

And you manscaping tool with extra batteries. Gotta keep that Navy Seal Operator beard looking right.

now, being armed at home and while out and about is a must and I do agree, don't bring a handgun to a rifle fight. But trying to escape a nuclear war, there ain't enough chit in a BOB to last 3 days

Kinda like having to buy the latest Badlands camo gear to shoot deer out of a blind.

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: Buzzsaw] #8654274 08/02/22 01:58 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Sounds like something food would say.

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: Buzzsaw] #8654276 08/02/22 02:01 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend

Good God Buzz… Just shaking my head. Not sure why you would belittle a man for wanting to be prepared to protect and provide for his family if something were to actually happen. It doesn’t make you tacticool to prepare for [censored], go tell that to the Amish or the Mormans. Both of which are more prepared for actual bad times and none of which are tacticool.

Show me on this stuffed animal where the prepper touched you.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: Buzzsaw] #8654280 08/02/22 02:12 AM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

These are applicable to many scenarios not just doomsday stuff. What if your house catches fire? Having a bag with a pistol, ammo, change of clothes, some cash and a few snacks wouldn’t be a bad thing to grab on the way out. The “bug out bag” I mentioned in my previous post is what I would pack if I was elk hunting. I think there is merit it to them but it has to be kept light and simple. Nothing wrong with having these items ready to go. Doesn’t make anyone “tacticool”.

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: HandyMan91] #8654305 08/02/22 02:44 AM
H
HandyMan91 Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Maybe I shouldn't have called it a bug out bag. How about an " incase " bag. I'm not thinking end of the world or zombies or waves of liberals attacking my home (or maybe I should say liberals paid goons) I'm not trying to race across country on a 7-10 day hike with only 3 days worth of gear.

We've had a lot of fires out by me lately (so has everyone) and my wife said we should do fire bags, the last time we were on evac notice and told the kids to "pack a bag real quick" turned into a cluster. So it got me thinking about having a more practical bag that could do more than just clothes and ID stuff. I want something light, and I know pretty much what I want in it. Where I've hit my road block is deciding on the more practical armament for the bags to carry.

Originally Posted by Biscuit
The only thing flat earthers have to fear is sphere itself

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: HandyMan91] #8654320 08/02/22 03:06 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
There’s no need

1 mag and 1 AR15

That’s all I can say lol

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: HandyMan91] #8654338 08/02/22 03:57 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Forget the 22lr revolver and get a takedown like everyone said. 22lr revolver is likely to be a cheap POS, inaccurate, and just a waste of $. Imagine being attacked by an animal or person with a real gun and trying to aim a cheapo 22lr revolver. A 10/22 takedown you can at least get accurate shots off. Even a PCC wouldnt be bad idea so you have same ammo as handguns. Definitely not Taurus, ever.

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: HandyMan91] #8654342 08/02/22 04:00 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Kyle, you must have thought I was talking about you.

You should be prepared all the time. What good is a bag 0 goodies going to do if your house burns down? Hopefully you have neighbors who would be there for you.

If one lived in the sticks, yes it would be good to have snacks and an AR 15 with a few 30 round maggies to protect your [censored] . I do like the idea of an "in case of fire" bag, Makes a lot of sense.

I guess what made me write my op is everywhere I look in "gun" magazines. This all they advertise and write about. Its ALL done to sell stuff to every "all day sucker" who reads them.

Yes, I'm guilty of being an all-day sucker for certain toys. I cancelled my subscription to Ballistic Magazine because this is what their whole rag markets to. The young, T'd up boys, who would buy all the cool stuff but quickly chit themselves if they were looking down the barrel of a .45. (See what I did there? Squeezed a line from a favorite Shinedown song.

Sorry, if I offended anyone , just my goofy thinking

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 08/02/22 04:22 AM.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: HandyMan91] #8654377 08/02/22 09:43 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Your gonna starve if your expecting to use .22 pistols to feed and protect a family on the move. You need shotguns and fishing gear.

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: Buzzsaw] #8654385 08/02/22 10:42 AM
Chickenman Offline
Extremely Right Wing
Extremely Right Wing
Firearm selection would be a semiautomatic rifle or shotgun and handgun with ammunition. Maybe a sub2000.

Water filtration and purification would be my top priority followed by food and shelter if you stay armed.

You should be prepared all the time.

That starts with physical fitness. If you don't take care of your body in normal day to day living, you're going to be a liability and a dependent in stressful situations.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bug out bag question [Re: Buzzsaw] #8654564 08/02/22 02:31 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
What good is a bag 0 goodies going to do if your house burns down? Hopefully you have neighbors who would be there for you.

I do like the idea of an "in case of fire" bag, Makes a lot of sense.

Really?

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: 68A] #8654597 08/02/22 03:11 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by 68A
What good is a bag 0 goodies going to do if your house burns down? Hopefully you have neighbors who would be there for you.

Really?

He doesn’t have the slightest clue what he is talking about. Just spouting ignorance because he was tired of seeing prepper stuff in a magazine. At least that’s what I got out of his post.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: KRoyal] #8654602 08/02/22 03:15 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by 68A

Really?

He doesn’t have the slightest clue what he is talking about. Just spouting ignorance because he was tired of seeing prepper stuff in a magazine. At least that’s what I got out of his post.

Pretty much spot on.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: KRoyal] #8654607 08/02/22 03:22 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by 68A

Really?

To me having a "bug out bag" and a plan, is like having fire extinguishers around or a hand gun on you. Better to have and not need. If I was old and had no dependents maybe I wouldn't care, but when little ones are relying on you for food/water/safety there's nothing wrong with being prepared for a bad situation.

I can tell you this, there were a whole lot of people around here that wished they had been better prepared after Hurricane Harvey. Simple packs with first aid/trauma kits, water filtration kits, fire starters, extra batteries, dehydrated meals, knife sharpeners, ponchos, butt wipes, emergency radio, etc etc. Clean water and dehydrated meals alone become pretty important when you're without water and power for weeks at a time.

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: 68A] #8654613 08/02/22 03:30 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 68A
I think before you can answer the "what" you need to answer the "where". If you have nowhere in particular to go you'd be better off at home fortifying, like has been said. But if I was going to build one of these, it'd have a water filtration device, a field book of native edible plants, some calorie dense food that doesnt take up much space (think peanut butter), fire starter, one change of clothes, compass, map, little bit of 550 cord, good knife, small med kit and a poncho liner. If you're set on a .22, I'd prefer a takedown rather than a pistol. All of this would easily fit in a 3 day pack with a couple hundred rounds of ammo.

Again, if you have nowhere to go but potentially wander around someone else's property that they are protecting, it'd probably do more harm than good. Guess you could head down to the local lake/creek/river, where I am sure everyone else will be.

^^This is the answer.

Water is paramount, every day, in any weather.

Take down 10/22 is the proper firearm. I would want it scoped, and rings that clamp to a pic rail. If the optic breaks, you can easily go back to irons.

And fishing gear is an easy way to produce protein.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bug out bag question [Re: J.G.] #8654635 08/02/22 03:58 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by 68A
I think before you can answer the "what" you need to answer the "where". If you have nowhere in particular to go you'd be better off at home fortifying, like has been said. But if I was going to build one of these, it'd have a water filtration device, a field book of native edible plants, some calorie dense food that doesnt take up much space (think peanut butter), fire starter, one change of clothes, compass, map, little bit of 550 cord, good knife, small med kit and a poncho liner. If you're set on a .22, I'd prefer a takedown rather than a pistol. All of this would easily fit in a 3 day pack with a couple hundred rounds of ammo.

Again, if you have nowhere to go but potentially wander around someone else's property that they are protecting, it'd probably do more harm than good. Guess you could head down to the local lake/creek/river, where I am sure everyone else will be.

^^This is the answer.

Water is paramount, every day, in any weather.

Take down 10/22 is the proper firearm. I would want it scoped, and rings that clamp to a pic rail. If the optic breaks, you can easily go back to irons.

And fishing gear is an easy way to produce protein.

Who is this J.G. fella? cheers
I think the term "bug out bag" is a bit of the issue. Having an "emergency bag" is a good idea and maybe it is used to help you get back to your home after a storm/fire. Better to plan ahead for simple stuff you might need for a few days. I don't have one but have all the individual items scattered around the house...probably need to organize them so I can find them easily.

Nothing wrong with a good 22lr auto pistol that you have put a lot of rounds through proving reliability.

Last edited by Big Fitz; 08/02/22 04:00 PM.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Bug out bag question [Re: HandyMan91] #8654644 08/02/22 04:12 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
There are too many good SBR builds to confine oneself to a take-down 22.

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: Choctaw] #8654686 08/02/22 05:18 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Every American should own 5.56mm or .223 Wylde, a .308 Win, and .22 lr pistol and rifle.

Pistols in 9mm and .45 ACP

And a 12 gauge shotgun.

Having other cartridges is great, but everyone needs at least those to start with in my opinion.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bug out bag question [Re: HandyMan91] #8654723 08/02/22 05:57 PM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I love the 10-22 takedown in the Magpul stock. I have also had great results from a TX22. I keep both in the same bag, so it is grab and go. However, that is not my first "grab" gun bag.

As far as bug-out bags, they are a no-go for me. Firstly, I have my EDC backpack that goes where I go. Secondly, we have an "emergency displacement bag" that is always ready to go and the food supplies are rotated monthly. Thirdly, my vehicle is ready to live out of for about three days. Finally "bugging out" isn't part of our plan. Admittedly, I live in the Coastal Bend; so displacement is just trying to reason with hurricane season. However, I don't consider that bugging out and we already have several plans for that situation.

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: J.G.] #8654735 08/02/22 06:12 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Every American should own 5.56mm or .223 Wylde, a .308 Win, and .22 lr pistol and rifle.

Pistols in 9mm and .45 ACP

And a 12 gauge shotgun.

Having other cartridges is great, but everyone needs at least those to start with in my opinion.

Dang… so close. grin

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Bug out bag question [Re: ntxtrapper] #8654767 08/02/22 06:46 PM
P
psycho0819 Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Get bags long enough for Ruger 10/22 takedowns to fit in. A rifle in a survival situation is so much better than a handgun.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!!!!!

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: okstatefan] #8654769 08/02/22 06:47 PM
B
Big Sam Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted by okstatefan
I love the 10-22 takedown in the Magpul stock. I have also had great results from a TX22. I keep both in the same bag, so it is grab and go. However, that is not my first "grab" gun bag.

As far as bug-out bags, they are a no-go for me. Firstly, I have my EDC backpack that goes where I go. Secondly, we have an "emergency displacement bag" that is always ready to go and the food supplies are rotated monthly. Thirdly, my vehicle is ready to live out of for about three days. Finally "bugging out" isn't part of our plan. Admittedly, I live in the Coastal Bend; so displacement is just trying to reason with hurricane season. However, I don't consider that bugging out and we already have several plans for that situation.

I was about to start typing my reply when I read this guys post. The bugout bag is a fanciful concept. No matter what you do, your needs will not fit into a single bag. Especially since the problem is unknown and the situation is unknown. But, IMO, what really smart guys like okstatefan do (of course I am only assuming you are smart grin ). I see the bugout bag as numerous bags. There is the one you take everywhere that is easily carried and transported. There is another (either separate or bigger) that adds to being more prepared and then another that allows for even more situations. It does not take long to figure out a reasonably competent bag is too big to carry so it is moved by vehicle and drug on wheels if that is required. Duplication of needed items is also very practical with this sort of setup.

The other big thing to me is rifle vs pistol. It is the very rare individual who can reach out with a handgun bullet vs a rifle bullet. All the more so if you are cold, dehydrated or exhausted. The pistol is always a good idea but the rifle will always do most of the heavy lifting. 22's are great rifles for the kids. But at least one adult should have a ,for real, rifle. You'll live longer if you solve problems at a distance rather than up close. Don't forget a good pair of binoculars.

Last edited by Big Sam; 08/02/22 06:48 PM.

"Group think" is not thinking. It is the lack of independent thought. It is a cancer of the mind.
Re: Bug out bag question [Re: HandyMan91] #8654815 08/02/22 07:26 PM
65x55 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
A slingshot, spare bands, and a recipe book filled with possum and armadillo recipes.

Re: Bug out bag question [Re: skinnerback] #8654829 08/02/22 07:44 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by skinnerback

To me having a "bug out bag" and a plan, is like having fire extinguishers around or a hand gun on you. Better to have and not need. If I was old and had no dependents maybe I wouldn't care, but when little ones are relying on you for food/water/safety there's nothing wrong with being prepared for a bad situation.

I can tell you this, there were a whole lot of people around here that wished they had been better prepared after Hurricane Harvey. Simple packs with first aid/trauma kits, water filtration kits, fire starters, extra batteries, dehydrated meals, knife sharpeners, ponchos, butt wipes, emergency radio, etc etc. Clean water and dehydrated meals alone become pretty important when you're without water and power for weeks at a time.

I saw this first hand too. In the grand scheme of things that can go wrong, Harvey wasn't that bad but it was surprising to see how many people were completely thrown off by the situation.
Whether the prepped bag is for bugging out or not, at minimum it's good to have important things centralized in one spot.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide