Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Deer camp water being confiscated #8650344 07/27/22 09:52 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
One of our members went down to our lease to check cameras. Goes to check our 3000 gallon water tank that we have water hauled into at not a cheap price.

We secured the faucet at the base of the tank so illegals could not drain it. Lo and behold guess what they did? Climbed to the top of the tank, took the lid off where the water goes in, lowered a rope with some kind of bucket attached, and have taken around half of it out. That is around 1500 gallons removed with a rope and bucket. This is getting old.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8650356 07/27/22 10:14 PM
F
Frio Town Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
That's why I had Ramball but hasps on the last two corn feeders he made for me. That way I can lock them. The wets would steal deer corn to make a meal. I would suggest putting a lock on the lid if at all possible. What those hombres today can't steal, they screw up.

Frio

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8650357 07/27/22 10:15 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Do you have trail cam pics of this? 'Just wondering how you know it was a rope and bucket.

I wonder if some faux voodoo crap hanging around the camp would have an effect? I've got a baboon skull that I put a turkey beard on the back and I painted the eye sockets day-glo orange. It was to scare deer away, but I'd be glad to loan it to you. Cedar stick goes up through the neck bone socket. A la the original Planet of the Apes type stuff. grin Add a few wind chimes in the trees. Maybe a fake grave or two. Or, just dig about 6 separate swipes with a backhoe bucket and backfill loosely. cool 'Just thinking outside the box. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: Frio Town] #8650366 07/27/22 10:27 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Do you have trail cam pics of this? 'Just wondering how you know it was a rope and bucket.

I wonder if some faux voodoo crap hanging around the camp would have an effect? I've got a baboon skull that I put a turkey beard on the back and I painted the eye sockets day-glo orange. It was to scare deer away, but I'd be glad to loan it to you. Cedar stick goes up through the neck bone socket. A la the original Planet of the Apes type stuff. grin Add a few wind chimes in the trees. Maybe a fake grave or two. Or, just dig about 6 separate swipes with a backhoe bucket and backfill loosely. cool 'Just thinking outside the box. up

The rope and bucket were laying by the tank - we have tried everything - cameras everywhere, sirens, signs, etc - none will stop them

My member pulled a camera card we have in camp - card is a 32 - he said it was "full" meaning thousands of pictures - he is going through them tonight but we are pretty sure it is full of them walking through our camp

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: Frio Town] #8650372 07/27/22 10:29 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Frio Town
That's why I had Ramball but hasps on the last two corn feeders he made for me. That way I can lock them. The wets would steal deer corn to make a meal. I would suggest putting a lock on the lid if at all possible. What those hombres today can't steal, they screw up.

Frio

Yeah we plan to put locks on the lid - problem is they will just find another way - they would figure out a way to cut through the tank or the cartel would shoot holes in the tank - you cannot stop them IMO

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8650398 07/27/22 10:54 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just leave the big tank empty. They did the same thing when I hunted on Old Mines Road. I bought a 35 gallon tank from Tractor Supply, it doesn’t take up much room in the truck. I fill tank on RV with it. Lasts me 2.5 days.

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: 68rustbucket] #8650416 07/27/22 11:09 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Just leave the big tank empty. They did the same thing when I hunted on Old Mines Road. I bought a 35 gallon tank from Tractor Supply, it doesn’t take up much room in the truck. I fill tank on RV with it. Lasts me 2.5 days.

Yeah but we have ten hunters in camp - everybody hauling their own water would not go over well - we will figure it out

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8650420 07/27/22 11:11 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hauling your own water insures you’ll always have water. It’s not that hard to do.

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8650518 07/28/22 01:23 AM
F
Frio Town Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
A mojado does not like guard dogs. Years ago I had 7 Anatolian Sheppard's as guard dogs on the ranch. One morning I noticed only a couple were with my goats. That afternoon, same thing. I thought it was because they blended in with the color of the goats. Since there were around 4000 goats it's easily done. When they were not there the following day I went looking. I found them about 2 miles away. As I got closer I could hear barking, then people hollering. Turns out the dogs had treed a bunch of wets literally. I called off the dogs and asked the wets how long they had been in the trees. They all said two days. Tired hungry & thirsty. They were glad to see the BP after all that crap. Scared s--tless of the dogs. Since I was the only one the dogs paid attention to, I gave them a little extra that evening. They did their job.

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8650536 07/28/22 02:07 AM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

The rope and bucket were laying by the tank - we have tried everything - cameras everywhere, sirens, signs, etc - none will stop them

My member pulled a camera card we have in camp - card is a 32 - he said it was "full" meaning thousands of pictures - he is going through them tonight but we are pretty sure it is full of them walking through our camp

That makes me wonder I’ve traveled down south a lot last couple weeks for work . Like McAllen Brownsville area . There’s lots of ranches and such one in particular I can’t remember where exactly coming back up has these demonic ghost looking figures all along there high game fence like scare crows I always wondered what they were trying to spook with them . I think I just figured it out 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8650624 07/28/22 09:56 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
Just paint a skull and cross bones on the tank and signs that say "poison" do not drink.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8650626 07/28/22 10:23 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Make it so the lid can't be opened and they'll just bust off a PVC connection and all will be lost. They don't care what they damage as long as they get what they want.

Last edited by Hudbone; 07/28/22 10:37 AM.
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8650881 07/28/22 04:55 PM
H
Hunt Dog Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Your water isn't being confiscated; it's being stolen.

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: Hunt Dog] #8651161 07/28/22 10:21 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hunt Dog
Your water isn't being confiscated; it's being stolen.

Oh....that's very harsh language! You'll hurt someones feelings doing that. wink

These days...the water is being 'transitioned' in location. From the water tank to an illegal's belly onward to points North where it is later deposited on the parched landscape, thus doing a valuable service.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8651299 07/29/22 01:58 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Paint a skull and crossbones' on the water tank. Might slow them down.

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8651309 07/29/22 02:17 AM
C
COFF (TFF) Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Just remember you are talking about a person or group of people who are walking through the desert carrying everything thing they own. Finding water literally could be a life or death scenario for them.

I'm not trying to justify the theft, just pointing out that the stakes are considerably higher here than they are with the jack wagons stealing catalytic converters. A person walking through STX in July will not let a no trespassing sign stop them from taking a drink of water. As stated above if you lock everything down you will find a hole punched in the bottom, or a pipe and valve broken off.

I know of some farmers that have started building shacks beside windmills with a water tap. They even stock the shacks with canned goods and cheap blankets. This is not a humanitarian effort, but rather a low cost alternative to having their farm houses broken into.

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8651378 07/29/22 05:55 AM
M
MAP Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I do like how people on post like this try to justify the actions of all of these illegals.

If we simply swapped the word illegal for the word poacher...all of you hunters would have a totally different reaction to this. If a poacher came onto your ranch and broke windows, pipes, stole food, trucks, equipment, destroyed fences, gates, or houses none ofyou would think its ok. None of you would say "lets just kill that buck for them, they have a really rough life back home and deserve it". It has always blown my mind that if people knew a poacher was on thier property they would want to hang that person. They would want every law enforcement officer in 4 counties out there to catch them. They would post their pictures all over the web and call them a sorry SOB etc etc......but when it comes to illegals on that same property?? Oh well give them what they need, just waive and say high to them. Maybe even make them a sandwhich and leave the house unlocked so maybe they will be nice enough not to destroy the house this time...poor guys

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8651382 07/29/22 06:41 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
It’s a pain yes but I think the placard or something similar would work

Maybe add a some drops of red food coloring to it to turn it into something other than clear

Maybe yellow and mark it diesel🤷🏻‍♂️

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: MAP] #8651415 07/29/22 11:43 AM
C
COFF (TFF) Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by MAP
I do like how people on post like this try to justify the actions of all of these illegals.

If we simply swapped the word illegal for the word poacher...all of you hunters would have a totally different reaction to this. If a poacher came onto your ranch and broke windows, pipes, stole food, trucks, equipment, destroyed fences, gates, or houses none ofyou would think its ok. None of you would say "lets just kill that buck for them, they have a really rough life back home and deserve it". It has always blown my mind that if people knew a poacher was on thier property they would want to hang that person. They would want every law enforcement officer in 4 counties out there to catch them. They would post their pictures all over the web and call them a sorry SOB etc etc......but when it comes to illegals on that same property?? Oh well give them what they need, just waive and say high to them. Maybe even make them a sandwhich and leave the house unlocked so maybe they will be nice enough not to destroy the house this time...poor guys

You totally missed the point of my post. The illegals walking across this lease are purposefully staying as far away from roads and communities as possible. They know the likelihood of encountering any people, especially a boarder patrol is very low. That’s why they cut through the lease instead of walking down a county road. They are desperate for water and they know they won’t get caught. It is just a reality that you will not be able to stop those people from stealing the water. The more secure your valve and hatch is locked up, the greater risk of having a hole drilled in the tank so they can drink from stream leaking out.

The farmers I mentioned above who are building shacks don’t do it because they want to help these illegals. They live on these farms and have dealt with the illegal foot traffic for trees and years. They have all the BP agents first names programmed in their phones. Over time they have reluctantly accepted that if they make some water accessible, then the illegals are much less likely to break in to their house and endanger their family.

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8651472 07/29/22 01:00 PM
Inge0071 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Growing up, the folks that walked through wanted work.

Today, most feel entitled and/or owed.

You might try this. I paint both sides of the plate. The clean side faces the road or property line along trails. It's visible to passing naredowells.

Haven't seen a group since Christmas eve.

[Linked Image]

Pro Deo et patria
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8651493 07/29/22 01:23 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
[Linked Image]

Go ahead. You will not make it to the fence.

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8652418 07/30/22 03:20 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Just have everyone haul in their own water.
You try to trick them that the water is no good, they may just leave you a surprise after they drank their fill.
Just leave enough in the tank they can ration out or noting at all.
Word will get out that there is a water supply there for those that follow!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8652448 07/30/22 04:38 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Unfortunately, you have probably created a waypoint that they now use and have shared with others. I think the suggestion to haul smaller amounts is your best solution. Take away their incentive to stop and get water they know will always be there.

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8652749 07/31/22 01:45 AM
sleepyhunter Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
I'd bring my own water in with me, that way all my needs for water are covered while I hunt. The illegals can go elsewhere for water if there is none is there.

Re: Deer camp water being confiscated [Re: tlk] #8655742 08/03/22 09:29 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Outside the box, I know.

Can you bury your holding tank and conceal the lid with brush or a boulder?

Sorry all I got and and sorry.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide