Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod #8648578 07/25/22 04:40 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
I have Harris (hate them) and I have Atlas which are great for at the range. I am interested in a "hunting" specific bipod for mainly prone or seated shots where the bipod is resting on a pack or elevated structure (rock, log etc). I prefer it to have the capability to can't and rotate. The lighter the better however I prefer build quality/reliability as well as quick in the field functionality over the weight.

Bipods I have looked into:

Spartan
Hatch
Rok Stedi
Modular Evolution

Any others to consider? Pros or cons to any of the above.

Last edited by Theringworm; 07/25/22 04:40 PM.
Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8648729 07/25/22 07:59 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I have a Caldwell though I don’t use it much. Having hunted both with and without bipods I found I prefer to hunt without them in most cases.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8648755 07/25/22 08:31 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I've been pleased with the Vanguard Quest T62U Shooting Stick that I found on Amazon. Like others I'm sure, it can be used as a shooting stick, bipod, or tripod.

Link

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Texas Dan] #8648812 07/25/22 09:27 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I've been pleased with the Vanguard Quest T62U Shooting Stick that I found on Amazon. Like others I'm sure, it can be used as a shooting stick, bipod, or tripod.

Link

Let me clarify....... I am NOT talking about monopod, bipod, tripod shooting sticks. I am talking about a bipod that attaches TO the rifle via sling swivel (not preferred) or a picatinny rail (preferred).

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8648863 07/25/22 10:07 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Theringworm
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Link

Let me clarify....... I am NOT talking about monopod, bipod, tripod shooting sticks. I am talking about a bipod that attaches TO the rifle via sling swivel (not preferred) or a picatinny rail (preferred).

Hatch outwest.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8648871 07/25/22 10:12 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Only complaint is it is a touch heavy. But removes/attaches so quick it’s no big deal

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8648875 07/25/22 10:17 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Ringworm are you in DFW?

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8648880 07/25/22 10:20 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Ringworm are you in DFW?

Midland, but I am from DFW and visit frequently as my family lives there.

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8648881 07/25/22 10:20 PM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
BRO! Nice boots!

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8648884 07/25/22 10:24 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
my choice. great with a chair overlooking hunting area.

kinda heavy for running ang gunning but i dont do that no mo.

[Linked Image]

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Buzzsaw] #8648897 07/25/22 10:39 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

[Linked Image]

Beautiful country. laugh

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8648945 07/25/22 11:31 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
prairie dogs like it peep

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8649041 07/26/22 01:09 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
General dumb question about bipods that attach to stocks(wood if it matters).... It seems they would be TOO rigid. They must not be since everyone uses them but explain it to me. I was always taught to use something under the stock that gives just a little(like a sand bag or a glove or even the sling.) Daddy said never to put stock directly on the window or wood or metal cause the vibration as the bullet was going down the barrel would cause an upward lift. Wouldnt a bipod that is directly attached and stiff do the same? Maybe they arent stiff??? If they sit on the ground then the ground may give, but sitting on a bench its solid.
Im assume it works but please explain to me if someone will.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8649049 07/26/22 01:21 AM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Barrel should be free floated, no vibrations directly transferred that way, and bipod loaded to the front. There is enough give that when fired the rifle moves back like a stock sliding across a bag. The taller the legs, the more travel there can be.

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Buzzsaw] #8649058 07/26/22 01:37 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

[Linked Image]

I use one of those and a pop up blind for hunting on my property.

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: scottfromdallas] #8649138 07/26/22 03:48 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

[Linked Image]

I use one of those and a pop up blind for hunting on my property.

We have them in almost all of our blinds for the kids. I’m not carring one of bog pod brands or reaper up a mountain though. My bog pod and reaper are really nice but you can put an arca plate on your rifle forearm and save a bunch of weight just using tripod and leveling head. Or go lighter and just add bipod.

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: freerange] #8649142 07/26/22 03:54 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
General dumb question about bipods that attach to stocks(wood if it matters).... It seems they would be TOO rigid. They must not be since everyone uses them but explain it to me. I was always taught to use something under the stock that gives just a little(like a sand bag or a glove or even the sling.) Daddy said never to put stock directly on the window or wood or metal cause the vibration as the bullet was going down the barrel would cause an upward lift. Wouldnt a bipod that is directly attached and stiff do the same? Maybe they arent stiff??? If they sit on the ground then the ground may give, but sitting on a bench its solid.
Im assume it works but please explain to me if someone will.

Most bi-pods arms are forward when set up, so they aren’t working against the recoil. Most have a little play in them. All my rifles are very free floated so no pressure from to stock to barrel. Think biggest issue Is when your barrel touches window etc and inducing pressure

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: BarneyWho] #8649145 07/26/22 03:56 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BarneyWho
BRO! Nice boots!

Thanks just had them resoled.

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8649328 07/26/22 02:13 PM
B
Blackout Bill Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Accu-tac is the way to go. I have the SR-5. Super strong.

Lots of options. Website below as well as a good YouTube vid. Shop eBay for deals.

https://accu-tac.com/collections/bipods

https://youtu.be/2oXpyuT_YKA

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8649477 07/26/22 05:55 PM
M1John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
So I'm going to be that guy who asks the question. What is it about the Harris bipod that you do not like? I have a couple different brands of bipods and they all have their pros and cons. The Harris I have is the S-BRM model. I installed the KMW Pod-Lok to make it easier to adjust the swivel and to lock it into place. The only gripe I have about it is when I tried it on my Browning BAR Mark II is the stock doesn't fit their profile and it won't tighten. This is the only rifle that I have problems with it on. I hadn't heard about the Accu-tac that Blackout Bill suggested but they look solid. My curiosity was getting the better of me and I had to ask the question.

John

Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
NRA Instructor in Pistol, CCW, PPITH,
PPOTH, Shotgun, Rifle, Reloading, and a NRA
Chief Range Safety Officer
Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8649539 07/26/22 07:34 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I have Harris (hate them) and I have Atlas which are great for at the range. I am interested in a "hunting" specific bipod for mainly prone or seated shots where the bipod is resting on a pack or elevated structure (rock, log etc). I prefer it to have the capability to can't and rotate. The lighter the better however I prefer build quality/reliability as well as quick in the field functionality over the weight.

Bipods I have looked into:

Spartan
Hatch
Rok Stedi
Modular Evolution

Any others to consider? Pros or cons to any of the above.

Ive gone to a tripod, it will go low for prone shots or high for standing..
Its easy to carry and holds your gun pointed at where your likely to shoot.

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8649559 07/26/22 08:09 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
Vanguard B62, I've got 4 different brands and I don't use anything but the B62

Super lightweight
Solid
Adj for sitting, kneeling or standing with solid flip locks
Inexpensive, $45. with free ship on Amazon

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Wilson Combat] #8649585 07/26/22 08:51 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
Vanguard B62, I've got 4 different brands and I don't use anything but the B62

Super lightweight
Solid
Adj for sitting, kneeling or standing with solid flip locks
Inexpensive, $45. with free ship on Amazon

I have a Vanguard tripod and love it-however, OP specifically asked for a MOUNTED BIPOD. Good thing is, Vanguard makes one.

https://www.vanguardworld.com/collections/support-system/products/equalizer-1qs

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8649636 07/26/22 09:57 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
I appreciate the replies.

To answer M1Johns question about the Harris bipod. When I got into more advanced shooting about 10-15+ years ago, Harris was one of the few mountable bipods available in stores. It worked, was functional etc etc. They have done little over the years to improve on their system. I guess it works and has worked for most so who am I to judge. Heck it wasn’t too long ago when they finally came out with an adaptor for a picatinny rail, I am a nobody but spent a good long while at their booth at Shot Show many years ago going over their bipod, how they might consider making a rail mountable one or even consider a flush cup insert. I felt like I was speaking a foreign language to them. I had one rust on me within 24 hours in Alaska (where the screw dial attaches it to the sling stud or rail, as well as the rivets on the plate). The spring legs can collapse on you if prone and aiming steep up hill. Less likely with a light rifle but a big magnum and it’s happened. Obviously I tugged the rifle back to reposition it and that’s when it collapsed so it need some external force to even be an issue. Other setups the legs simply can’t collapse unless a pin/button is used. IMO there are better options available. Maybe not as cheap as theirs but I will pay for quality. It’s more of a personal hate than an industry wide opinion. I personally don’t care for them in the field. On the range they are actually a great reasonably priced option.

Re: Recommend me a "Hunting" rifle bipod [Re: Theringworm] #8650098 07/27/22 03:13 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I appreciate the replies.

To answer M1Johns question about the Harris bipod. When I got into more advanced shooting about 10-15+ years ago, Harris was one of the few mountable bipods available in stores. It worked, was functional etc etc. They have done little over the years to improve on their system. I guess it works and has worked for most so who am I to judge. Heck it wasn’t too long ago when they finally came out with an adaptor for a picatinny rail, I am a nobody but spent a good long while at their booth at Shot Show many years ago going over their bipod, how they might consider making a rail mountable one or even consider a flush cup insert. I felt like I was speaking a foreign language to them. I had one rust on me within 24 hours in Alaska (where the screw dial attaches it to the sling stud or rail, as well as the rivets on the plate). The spring legs can collapse on you if prone and aiming steep up hill. Less likely with a light rifle but a big magnum and it’s happened. Obviously I tugged the rifle back to reposition it and that’s when it collapsed so it need some external force to even be an issue. Other setups the legs simply can’t collapse unless a pin/button is used. IMO there are better options available. Maybe not as cheap as theirs but I will pay for quality. It’s more of a personal hate than an industry wide opinion. I personally don’t care for them in the field. On the range they are actually a great reasonably priced option.

Next time you are here in concrete jungle let me know, and if I can break free I’ll bring you the hatch. It’s expensive but works as designed really well from prone, kneeling and seated . If you are weight concerned you can’t beat spartan

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide