Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A question for veterans [Re: SapperTitan] #8642913 07/17/22 10:23 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Mainly only as an officer. Preferably OCS over an Academy. I won’t argue if they choose Academy if given the choice.

No enlisted...

Agreed 100%. OCS is the way to go.

Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I would def recommend but I would recommend going to college and do ROTC or try and get accepted to Military academy. Do your initial required time and get out. Being a military officer opens a lot of doors once you become a civilian.

Also agreed 100%....career opportunities for former military officers is outstanding, especially professional fields.

IMO, it's USAF or nothing for quality of life. I would certainly do it all again exactly like I did it, if given the choice.

I also agree that it would be great if most kids went military for 2 years after high school.

Re: A question for veterans [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8643142 07/18/22 03:17 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
USAF 64-68. Made E5,( SSGT) . Was an early computer jock when dang few people knew what a computer was. After Tech School, went to Luke AFB in Arizona. I liked the desert but didn’t want to spend 4 years there. I put in transfer requests for everywhere.

I did a lot of TDY’s to other bases to back up things due to other NCO’s being sent to SE Asia. Hell, that’s where I wanted to go but was deemed too important to lose in the states.

Got out and used the guv money to complete the college stuff that I had screwed up when I was younger.

I’ll never regret being a veteran but don’t talk about it.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: A question for veterans [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8643150 07/18/22 03:29 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I’ve never served. Wished I had.

I don’t really think I could advocate for it with my son. Two reasons.

First after the last couple of years I’ve really seen how our government had treated our war fighters.

Second, If something ever happen to him or if he ever came back in a flag draped coffin I’d always blame myself for steering him in that direction.

Don’t get me wrong, again I wish I had served and I think you guys that do it give the ultimate sacrifice, not only if you could die any time what it does to your mental health and home life.

You guys are absolute real hero’s.

[Linked Image]

Re: A question for veterans [Re: DQ Kid] #8643493 07/18/22 04:16 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
The days of Sergeant York, Saving Private Ryan or the like are of the past, battlefields of today and future will have lots of autonomous warfare. Close end hand to hand combat days are behind us; smart bombs, cluster bombs and pulse signature lasers are in front of us.

Have you watched the war in Ukraine? You can only do so much with bombs and artillery at some point you have to get on the ground and weed em out 1 by 1 especially in urban warfare.

Re: A question for veterans [Re: SapperTitan] #8643714 07/18/22 09:54 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
The days of Sergeant York, Saving Private Ryan or the like are of the past, battlefields of today and future will have lots of autonomous warfare. Close end hand to hand combat days are behind us; smart bombs, cluster bombs and pulse signature lasers are in front of us.

Have you watched the war in Ukraine? You can only do so much with bombs and artillery at some point you have to get on the ground and weed em out 1 by 1 especially in urban warfare.

Yup. I don't think "boots on the ground" will ever go away.

[Linked Image]
Re: A question for veterans [Re: DQ Kid] #8643737 07/18/22 10:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I think boots on the ground will alway be there, every war in past 100 years was cleared by close combat. The army will continue mounting faster harder hitting infantry fighting units. The only position that most likely will go way in our life time won’t be ground, but most likely the air, via drone aircraft. IMO our drone and stealth is what keeps us dominate

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: A question for veterans [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8643754 07/18/22 10:51 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Air dominance is a thing of the past as well.

[Linked Image]
Re: A question for veterans [Re: kry226] #8643809 07/19/22 12:05 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by kry226

Especially with the advancements in SAM’s

Re: A question for veterans [Re: kry226] #8643814 07/19/22 12:12 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Yup. I don't think "boots on the ground" will ever go away.

Not go away completely, agree. But more missile, drone bombings to greatly soften up ground forces than ever before. Will still be some guerilla style foot fighting especially on policing roles like Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. but commitments of tens of thousands of ground troops entrenched likely won't be the USA style of fighting any more. What Russia is doing in Ukraine with tanks and artillery is more a thing of convenience due to adjoining country boundary and fact Russia is about 20-30 years behind US in military tactics.

Re: A question for veterans [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8643871 07/19/22 01:20 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
I'd recommend it to any young person.
You leave town a boy and come back a man.
In 9 weeks of boot camp you find out how fu*ked up people are and your life isn't so bad.
I did 4 in the Navy and knew what to expect in boot camp. My whole family was in the Navy.
If your motivated and a doer 4 years fly by and it's time to get out or reup, your choice.
I got out in 1979 and went to this thing called " Computer School" it did me well for 40 years.

Re: A question for veterans [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8643903 07/19/22 01:50 AM
M
Mako My Day Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I would still recommend it, wish there was a mandatory service commitment for all 18-20 year old men like there is in many other parts of the world. At the time, I knew I wasn’t ready for college, spent 6 1/2 years in the Marine Corps learning a job that I love, and it has turned into a great and financially rewarding career. (Enlisted)

Out son spent 1 1/2 years at A&M before he decided college wasn’t for him. I recommended the Air Force, he is smarter than me, and not quite as rough around the edges. He has been in training for almost 3 years now, and he enjoys what he is doing. If he decides to get out after his commitment, with his skills and security clearance, he will be well set.

College isn’t the right path for everyone, trade schools and the military are great options without accumulating student loan debt.

Semper-Fi

Re: A question for veterans [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8644802 07/20/22 05:19 AM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
My step-son leaves for Marine boot camp next week. He's joining for the right reason, believes in our country and wants to do his part. He just graduated from high school in the top ten of his class. There are kids out there that still believe.

Re: A question for veterans [Re: copperhead] #8644817 07/20/22 10:50 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by copperhead
My step-son leaves for Marine boot camp next week. He's joining for the right reason, believes in our country and wants to do his part. He just graduated from high school in the top ten of his class. There are kids out there that still believe.

salute

[Linked Image]
Re: A question for veterans [Re: copperhead] #8644967 07/20/22 01:51 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by copperhead

Tell him Thanks. salute

Re: A question for veterans [Re: SapperTitan] #8645205 07/20/22 05:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I think in 10 years we won’t have but a hand full of in aircraft pilot’s.

Yelp on the SAM’s. But more telling is look at Afghanistan and they didn’t even have an airforce after 15 days…. And years later we still couldnt knock out all the scum.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: A question for veterans [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8645306 07/20/22 08:43 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I think in 10 years we won’t have but a hand full of in aircraft pilot’s.

Yep! We have a plethora of video game pilots that sit in air-conditioned containers at Nellis outside of Las Vegas and fly drones that drop big bombs.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide