Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The grid and electric vehicles #8642629 07/17/22 02:28 PM
J
jetdad Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Yesterday or day before I read where Tesla owners got a message from Tesla to avoid charging their cars during peak hours of electric use (3-8PM). The message continued that this wojuld lessen the strain on the already fragile grid. How can anybody believe that it will get so much better in the near future with way more EV's on the road? A child could figure this out.

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642640 07/17/22 02:38 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Take all the smart people now and do a 180° to making NG readily accessible, safe, efficient and let’s start making vehicles

We’re sitting on enough NG supply to last until there’s nothing left but a rock and a coyote in this world

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642650 07/17/22 02:48 PM
C
Captain Crunch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
My prediction - As our population and the number of EVs continues to grow, the state will add more and more generating capacity. It will be expensive and always behind schedule and we'll pay for it all, whether you own an EV or not. After we pay for it, we'll be charged high rates to consume it. A generation or two downstream, it'll all seem normal.

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642666 07/17/22 03:02 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Saw on news the other day that only 2% of vehicles on the road are electric. Can’t imagine the drain on the grid if more people had them.

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642680 07/17/22 03:22 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Just green liberal BS. Electric passenger cars are the worst idea ever.

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: Captain Crunch] #8642690 07/17/22 03:31 PM
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
My prediction - As our population and the number of EVs continues to grow, the state will add more and more generating capacity. It will be expensive and always behind schedule and we'll pay for it all, whether you own an EV or not. After we pay for it, we'll be charged high rates to consume it. A generation or two downstream, it'll all seem normal.

Doesn't sound much different than the current road and tax system.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642691 07/17/22 03:31 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Don't EVER TRY to use facts to argue/convince a liberal ---------this subject is a perfect example,,, the truth is evident, but not recognized. Part of My published essay on the subject.
[Linked Image]

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642694 07/17/22 03:35 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Big article published recently about California's growing problem with End of Life Solar Panels. Its been almost 20 years since the massive tax rebates started on them in CA and millions were installed. Their power output has fallen with age and its time to replace them. There is maybe $3 in recoverable material in each one, yet the cost is >$20 a panel to process them. They contain several heavy metals...the stuff that leaches into the water table

Many, maybe most, should be classified as toxic waste, but now they are reclassifying the to allow disposal in normal landfills. Some states are thinking about taxing solar power to pay for the coming eco disaster.

This is what EV batteries will bring us.

Solar Panels Are Toxic Waste

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642702 07/17/22 03:59 PM
P
papa45 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Another major concern going forward is mining bitcoin. I admit I know nothing about it, but apparently it can take enormous amounts of electricity. Talk about misplaced priorities!

From an NBC5 news article:

"The world’s largest Bitcoin mining operation is planned by a company called Riot Blockchain on a 265-acre site, 7 miles outside Corsicana in Navarro County.

Bitcoin is mined in buildings with enormous computing power running complicated mathematical formulas around the clock.

At maximum planned usage, Lewin estimated the Corsicana operation alone could draw about half the equivalent usage as the entire City of Austin. He said the sum of all proposed bitcoin mining in Texas could equal the DFW area power demand."

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: Captain Crunch] #8642707 07/17/22 04:07 PM
J
jetdad Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch

You're leaving out the materials it takes to produce the batteries and what to do with the batteries when they are used up. It all sounds good in theory but execution is an extreme issue.

I'm not saying EV's are bad, but to say we can rely on alternative sources sompletely starting in 2035 is just plain stupid. I must be naive to think there are that many ignorant people in the world. Then again Biden and AOC are in office.

I really like the idea of GNG but Boone Pickens tried to get it off the ground back in the late 80's/early 90's. Fort Worth even converted their bus fleet to natural gas. It never took off. Maybe it just wasn't the right time.

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642734 07/17/22 04:51 PM
L
Lazyjack Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
What I find intresting is the EV are being marketed as a more economical alternative to the consumer.

Based on today's rates, if you can charge at home, this seems logical. Using .10 per KWH would provide an economic mode of transoprtation. But if you are required to charge at a high speed commercial charging station, rates posted on Google Maps are .50 per KW with a $1.00 per minute idle fee. What kind of road tax will collected on registration.

Real winners will be the investors in construction of charging stations. If only one knew when congress was funding the construction?

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642738 07/17/22 04:59 PM
H
Hooker Offline
Patriarch
Patriarch
H
[Linked Image]

Title still in my desk drawer:

Sometimes it is
Sometimes it aint

"Happiness is more important then spilled jelly"

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642792 07/17/22 06:43 PM
J
jetdad Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
J
"Real winners will be the investors in construction of charging stations. If only one knew when congress was funding the construction?"

I bet Paul Pelosi knows.

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642804 07/17/22 06:55 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
The whole grid problem is BS IMO. If they wanted to solve it, they could. Don't shut down coal until the alternative is proven and producing more energy than the plants you close. Then you add to that people who don't like Texas energy independence. And more...

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: J.P. Greeson] #8642808 07/17/22 07:06 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
The whole grid problem is BS IMO. If they wanted to solve it, they could. Don't shut down coal until the alternative is proven and producing more energy than the plants you close. Then you add to that people who don't like Texas energy independence. And more...

What he said.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: TCM3] #8642816 07/17/22 07:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TCM3

What he said.

X3. we can thank Liberal EPA

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642829 07/17/22 07:49 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by jetdad
Yesterday or day before I read where Tesla owners got a message from Tesla to avoid charging their cars during peak hours of electric use (3-8PM). The message continued that this wojuld lessen the strain on the already fragile grid. How can anybody believe that it will get so much better in the near future with way more EV's on the road? A child could figure this out.

Huge housing subdivisions every where. Think about the implications.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: J.P. Greeson] #8642830 07/17/22 07:50 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I concur.

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: reeltexan] #8642838 07/17/22 08:13 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by reeltexan

Huge housing subdivisions every where. Think about the implications.

Home ACs are a much bigger factor than electric vehicles. If all electric vehicle owners were to not charge their cars for a day, the difference would be minuscule. A fraction of a percent.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642840 07/17/22 08:14 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Which is easy to do with a bit of pre-planning. If I tell the car I want it ready by 7am for my wife to go to work, it won’t start charging until later in the evening. There is a lot of reserve power available during the night time hours as power plants continue to generate electricity even without much demand. Several years ago, I had a friend living in the Czech Republic and they had low night time rates for electric usage. So that’s when he would run his boiler for the steam to heat the house. Later on, I started seeing TOU (time of use) type billing plans here in the US also to motivate people to put off running things like dishwashers and clothes dryers until the overnight hours. Ever hear of Reliant’s Free Nights and Weekends plan?

Every time this EV subject comes up, I see a lot of willful ignorance get posted. People just looking for a reason to take a dump on an idea. I’m darn sure not a liberal and I don’t really care if it’s green or not. I just like the experience and the benefits offered by electric propulsion.

I know Tesla operates battery recycling plants. They also repurpose cells that are no longer performing to spec in the EV into their Powerwall offering.

Toxic waste? Maybe. I don’t know the answer as we humans do generate lots and lots of waste of all sorts. I envision someday it might be economically viable or necessary to just load a cargo rocket with waste and launch it at the sun. That ought to bun up any and all materials to their core.

But when it comes to breathable air, thousands of EVs filling the roads of major cities aren’t going to create the emissions that internal combustion engines do, despite all the advances in emissions reductions.

Time will tell whether or not the EV was a good idea in the overwhelming majority of vehicles. Wouldn’t be the first time we humans thought something was a good idea, only to later find out it wasn’t after all.

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: Greg] #8642846 07/17/22 08:21 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Greg
Saw on news the other day that only 2% of vehicles on the road are electric. Can’t imagine the drain on the grid if more people had them.

Make America Great Again

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: GNTX] #8642850 07/17/22 08:30 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by GNTX

Which is easy to do with a bit of pre-planning. If I tell the car I want it ready by 7am for my wife to go to work, it won’t start charging until later in the evening. There is a lot of reserve power available during the night time hours as power plants continue to generate electricity even without much demand. Several years ago, I had a friend living in the Czech Republic and they had low night time rates for electric usage. So that’s when he would run his boiler for the steam to heat the house. Later on, I started seeing TOU (time of use) type billing plans here in the US also to motivate people to put off running things like dishwashers and clothes dryers until the overnight hours. Ever hear of Reliant’s Free Nights and Weekends plan?

Every time this EV subject comes up, I see a lot of willful ignorance get posted. People just looking for a reason to take a dump on an idea. I’m darn sure not a liberal and I don’t really care if it’s green or not. I just like the experience and the perceived benefits offered by electric propulsion.

I know Tesla operates battery recycling plants. They also repurpose cells that are no longer performing to spec in the EV into their Powerwall offering.

Toxic waste? Maybe. I don’t know the answer as we humans do generate lots and lots of waste of all sorts. I envision someday it might be economically viable or necessary to just load a cargo rocket with waste and launch it at the sun. That ought to bun up any and all materials to their core.

But when it comes to breathable air, thousands of EVs filling the roads of major cities aren’t going to create the emissions that internal combustion engines do, despite all the advances in emissions reductions.

Time will tell whether or not the EV was a good idea in the overwhelming majority of vehicles. Wouldn’t be the first time we humans thought something was a good idea, only to later find out it wasn’t after all.

Fify

Last edited by ducknbass; 07/17/22 08:31 PM.
Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: Tbar] #8642869 07/17/22 09:09 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Tbar
Originally Posted by Greg

It’s the America we live in now. Everyone takes it in the shorts for the 1 or 2% that cry the loudest realmad

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: ducknbass] #8642959 07/17/22 11:08 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by GNTX

Every time this EV subject comes up, I see a lot of willful ignorance get posted. People just looking for a reason to take a dump on an idea. I’m darn sure not a liberal and I don’t really care if it’s green or not. I just like the experience and the perceived benefits offered by electric propulsion.

Fify

Naw, you didn’t fix squat. It’s not a, “perceived benefit” when among other things, your brake rotors last for a 100K or more because most of the braking is done by electrical vs. mechanical means. It’s not a perceived benefit when you (or the wifey) doesn’t have to get out to pump gas in extreme weather. It’s not a perceived benefit when there are far fewer mechanical components to fail. It’s not a perceived benefit when you can heat or cool the car before you leave the house while plugged into the home’s electrical supply vs. using up whatever fuel is in your tank to do so. FYI, I drive a diesel dually and I can pre start it too. It’s not a perceived benefit when I don’t have to crawl under and do oil and transmission fluid changes. It’s not a perceived benefit when I have 100 percent torque available to me from a dead stop because there is no power band like an internal combustion engine has. It’s not a perceived benefit when I got to take back $7500 from the feds in the form of a tax credit. That’s $7500 I got to keep and they didn’t get to waste on some other BS.

Nope, no perceived benefits at all. But lots of actual ones. FIFY

Re: The grid and electric vehicles [Re: jetdad] #8642979 07/17/22 11:26 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
It is truly mind boggling all of the pollution created and fuel burnt to make the batteries for electric vehicles and then to keep them charged.
Lets not forget about the environmental disaster disposing of those batteries when they die.

texas flag

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide