Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: black panther ? [Re: EddieWalker] #8631116 06/29/22 06:26 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by EddieWalker

The most common sightings that I've heard of are from somebodies daddy, who said he saw one. Daddy saw it out in the back pasture and he hunted all his like and knows what he's talking about. LMAO

In my neck of the woods (Deep East Texas, Pineywoods) they aren't seen as much as they are supposedly 'heard'.

Screaming in the night!

The sad part is that most of these are farmers and ranchers. You would think they would know the sound of Gray Fox calling at night, but apparently not.

In lieu of that (not being able to identify the various night sounds), wouldn't you think simple logic would come into play?

Is there really a Mountain Lion (or Black Panther) living on your place night after night and screaming all the time! What are the odds of that.

No.....this is a deliberate decision to keep alive old myths and wive's tales. Don't understand what folks get out of that.....but it is what it is.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: black panther ? [Re: Ringtail] #8631182 06/29/22 07:36 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Ringtail
There is a site I follow devoted to Texas Black Panther sightings and the people on that site who believe they have seen a black panther over look two things. First, Mountain lions do not even carry the gene for melanism or being black and there has never been a black one killed in the US or anywhere else. Secondly, black jaguars are only about 6% of the population of jaguars so where are all the spotted ones we would be seeing in Texas if people keep seeing black ones, especially in East Texas! There are black leopards in Asia and perhaps Africa but those are not native to our hemisphere. I've heard it all...circus train wrecks, drug smugglers escaped pets, canned hunt escapees, government releasing them to control hogs HAHA, etc. Where are the clear pictures or game camera pictures or road kill. Believers on that site constantly try to pass off pictures that are easily backtracked on the internet and were taken in India or somewhere like that.

Those people also belong to the Bigfoot websites no doubt.

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8631202 06/29/22 07:53 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I've been hunting in Texas since the late 80's and have yet to hunt an area where some landowner or hunter didn't report having seen a panther.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: black panther ? [Re: Texas Dan] #8631308 06/29/22 10:33 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I've been hunting in Texas since the late 80's and have yet to hunt an area where some landowner or hunter didn't report having seen a panther.

TRUTH!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8632719 07/01/22 10:05 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
Look up Joe Rogan black panther. I'm not going to post the link. It has enough profanity that I would need to ban myself for 2 weeks. The comments are as funny as the video.

“Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will.” – Theodore Roosevelt

[Linked Image]
Re: black panther ? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #8632914 07/02/22 02:21 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
Look up Joe Rogan black panther. I'm not going to post the link. It has enough profanity that I would need to ban myself for 2 weeks. The comments are as funny as the video.

The number of responders claiming to have seen black panthers, some multiple times, is just amazing. ID10Ts.

Rogan had no idea what he is talking about. I like how he has a video from his security cameras at night, but doesn't show the video. Imagine that.

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8707970 10/13/22 02:57 PM
T
tusker65 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
When I was hog hunting in south carolina a few years ago, the guide was dropping me off at my stand and pulled me aside and told me that a few weeks before he had seen not one but a pair of black panthers in the same location twice in the last few weeks.

He told me that he contacted fish and wildlife and asked if there were black leopards in south carolina. They said no. And then he asked if he could shoot them. They said no it was illegal. Which is kind of weird as they supposedly didnt exist.

This was a guy that grew up hunting in the south and was a guide for years so unless he was totally [censored] with me I don't think he would misidentify any animal. I was thinking maybe black jaguars? Since they are actually native to the US. But that being said what would be the odds of seeing two black ones, exponential? Definitely weird.

Last edited by tusker65; 10/13/22 03:00 PM.
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8708042 10/13/22 04:20 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Melanism does not occur in mountain lions. Zero. There is almost zero melanism in bobcats with only two clusters. Ten melanistic bobcats have been documented in Florida and two in New Brunswick. Melanism does occur in jaguarundis, which look like a small version of a mountain lion. Melanism also occurs in jaguars, which are very big cats, double the size of a mature mountain lion.

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8708133 10/13/22 06:26 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8708486 10/14/22 03:09 AM
L
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Watched one trying to sneak up on deer in wheat field back in the 80's in Dickens County for about 10 minutes....... wheat field was probably 400 yards from my blind

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8708502 10/14/22 04:00 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Just at a glance I don’t think it’s even any type cat look like someone’s burro

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8709133 10/15/22 06:51 AM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I have books with stories written by Texans in the 1800's that talk about panthers. Not black panthers, just panthers. They were talking about mountain lions, which back then were much more widespread than today. So some of the talk about panthers were handed down from the old folks telling stories and they started out as true. Panther was just the word the pioneers used for large cats.

I know there's no true black panthers in Texas, but it's till fun to kid about. Some of you guys are too serious. Campfire stories are part of hunting.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: black panther ? [Re: HS2] #8709135 10/15/22 07:27 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by HS2
I have books with stories written by Texans in the 1800's that talk about panthers. Not black panthers, just panthers. . . . .

We've probably got some of the same books, or
read some of the same ones.
Lots of mountain lions mentioned killing livestock
and some going after settler's family and friends.
One account of a woman and children in a cabin
with a lion pacing back and forth on the roof
smelling the food smells from the hearth going
up the chimney from cooking.
Having to get up in the wee hours to check for
lions or black bears in the chicken house or hog
pen. Having to run nearly tame deer out of the
garden patch or out of the cow barn when penning
the cows at night etc.
Different times back then

Re: black panther ? [Re: maximum] #8709138 10/15/22 09:57 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by maximum
Originally Posted by HS2
I have books with stories written by Texans in the 1800's that talk about panthers. Not black panthers, just panthers. . . . .

We've probably got some of the same books, or
read some of the same ones.
Lots of mountain lions mentioned killing livestock
and some going after settler's family and friends.
One account of a woman and children in a cabin
with a lion pacing back and forth on the roof
smelling the food smells from the hearth going
up the chimney from cooking.
Having to get up in the wee hours to check for
lions or black bears in the chicken house or hog
pen. Having to run nearly tame deer out of the
garden patch or out of the cow barn when penning
the cows at night etc.
Different times back then

Those subdivision settlers today wouldn't have a clue! cheers

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8709254 10/15/22 03:09 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I think a lot of times it is the position of the sun, makes it look black.

Re: black panther ? [Re: HS2] #8709391 10/15/22 07:23 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by HS2
Some of you guys are too serious. Campfire stories are part of hunting.

Campfire 'Stories' are just that (stories). Meant to be entertaining, mostly unbelievable or IF truthful....highly embellished and it is well understood.

The idea of REAL Black Panthers/Sasquatch/Bigfoot (in the U.S) existing has been propagated by so many folks....that its just ridiculous IMO.

It's not done in 'fun'....these folks really, really....believe in it. I can't think of a time when society needed a bigger shot of Common Sense and Reality. But alas....it is not to be had.

Re: black panther ? [Re: flintknapper] #8710213 10/16/22 08:01 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by flintknapper

NO black panthers, NO bigfoots.

Don’t be a killjoy. Let people have their fun. Next you will tell us there are no chupacabras in TX.

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8710241 10/16/22 08:55 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Oh, it's easy to tell if that was a black panther. Did it cross it's arms and shout "WAKANDA FOREVER" ??

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries - but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: black panther ? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8710243 10/16/22 09:00 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Dang, now you guys are gonna say that Santa Claus isn’t real.

He actually died in a Nazi concentration camp in 1943. Sad, but true.

I can deal with the housecat/bobcat/jagaroondee/panther debate. But this is past the line. Where's them new Mods at?

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: black panther ? [Re: scottfromdallas] #8710255 10/16/22 09:20 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Don’t be a killjoy. Let people have their fun. Next you will tell us there are no chupacabras in TX.

Too many people living in a fantasy world.

Kinda sad IMO.

Re: black panther ? [Re: flintknapper] #8710989 10/17/22 05:28 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by HS2
Some of you guys are too serious. Campfire stories are part of hunting.

Campfire 'Stories' are just that (stories). Meant to be entertaining, mostly unbelievable or IF truthful....highly embellished and it is well understood.

The idea of REAL Black Panthers/Sasquatch/Bigfoot (in the U.S) existing has been propagated by so many folks....that its just ridiculous IMO.

It's not done in 'fun'....these folks really, really....believe in it. I can't think of a time when society needed a bigger shot of Common Sense and Reality. But alas....it is not to be had.

Agreed. Campfire stories are fun. Sadly, too many people don't know the difference between campfire stories and reality. These stories get repeated enough and people believe them out of familiarity and pretty soon people start seeing black panthers where none have ever existed. They take photographs of them in dubious circumstances, often with the same cameras used to take pics of bigfoot. I don't know the brand, but you can tell the same sort of gear is being used because you often can't tell scale/size and the "black panther" is always blurry, like bigfoot images, LOL.

I still can't believe how many hunters have seen them hunting and yet have never shot one, or if they did shoot one, they buried it in a secret location, fearing that they had possibly broken the law, or they just never took a photo of it...the only black panther they had ever killed in their entire lives. So the bodies are claimed to exist, but NO, we can't examine them, LOL.

Is it so hard for people to produce just one single black panther body? These are common, right? They are literally seen all over the state with countless reported sightings from every county. People seem to see these more often than they see regular, non-melanistic mountain lions, which strangely are known and proven to exist.

Re: black panther ? [Re: vanguard] #8711873 10/18/22 04:02 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I am on a place now trapping and killing hogs and it is some nasty thicket mixed with deep dark ravines and a big river bottom structure with giant trees giving it little sunlight. Tall grasses and shorter thicket that is pretty much not navigable. ( I carry a pruning shears in my pocket to cut my way through some of it)The landowner is 83 years old and has asked me not to shoot the black panthers or any big cat because even a black panther can look light colored in the sun. Ok I said.
He also told me not to shoot the Chupacabras' as he has had the discovery channel out a few times and says they are a coyote/wolf hybrid. Which does actually exist in Texas but now he says no coyotes as I may mistake it for one of his Chupa's. Ok I said.
He also told me not to shoot his miniature Mexican deer as they have come up river and have been seen at his place. Ok I said.
What can I say to the guy other than yes sir, you got it.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: black panther ? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8711877 10/18/22 04:05 PM
R
Ringtail Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
I am on a place now trapping and killing hogs and it is some nasty thicket mixed with deep dark ravines and a big river bottom structure with giant trees giving it little sunlight. Tall grasses and shorter thicket that is pretty much not navigable. ( I carry a pruning shears in my pocket to cut my way through some of it)The landowner is 83 years old and has asked me not to shoot the black panthers or any big cat because even a black panther can look light colored in the sun. Ok I said.
He also told me not to shoot the Chupacabras' as he has had the discovery channel out a few times and says they are a coyote/wolf hybrid. Which does actually exist in Texas but now he says no coyotes as I may mistake it for one of his Chupa's. Ok I said.
He also told me not to shoot his miniature Mexican deer as they have come up river and have been seen at his place. Ok I said.
What can I say to the guy other than yes sir, you got it.

What about his jackalopes??

Re: black panther ? [Re: Ringtail] #8712132 10/18/22 08:47 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

What about his jackalopes??

everyone knows they are real!

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: black panther ? [Re: flintknapper] #8712133 10/18/22 08:50 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
There is a site I follow devoted to Texas Black Panther sightings and the people on that site who believe they have seen a black panther over look two things. First, Mountain lions do not even carry the gene for melanism or being black and there has never been a black one killed in the US or anywhere else. Secondly, black jaguars are only about 6% of the population of jaguars so where are all the spotted ones we would be seeing in Texas if people keep seeing black ones, especially in East Texas! There are black leopards in Asia and perhaps Africa but those are not native to our hemisphere. I've heard it all...circus train wrecks, drug smugglers escaped pets, canned hunt escapees, government releasing them to control hogs HAHA, etc. Where are the clear pictures or game camera pictures or road kill. Believers on that site constantly try to pass off pictures that are easily backtracked on the internet and were taken in India or somewhere like that.

I am amazed by the people that I have met that claim to have seen black panthers. One guy, a friend of mine, has literally seen more black panthers than he has seen mountain lions (2:1). Apparently having seen one a second time just confirmed for him that his first sighting was valid. A couple of people I have met have never seen a mountain lion, but have seen black panthers (all singular sightings).

And yeah, they all have rationalizations for why they have seen something unknown to science or the vast hunting community that has never killed one.

What amazes me is the level of ignorance, shallow thinking or outright intellectual dishonesty.

You can find literally hundreds of people in every State (California to Florida and everything in between) with claims of having seen a Black Panther.

Now I know full well that some folks have actually seen 'something' black (house-cat, hog, whatever) and simply choose to assign its identification as a Black Panther....because that's what they want to believe (despite NO empirical evidence ever having been produced). So I'll be generous and say that 50% of those just made a 'mistake'.

The others seem to genuinely believe in the existence of the animal and will argue to the bitter end they are right.

So.....lets apply just a teeny, tiny bit of logic to the notion:

1. For THOUSANDS of people to have 'absolutely' seen one of these elusive devils, there MUST be quite a few Black Panthers around right?

2. For quite a few Black Panthers to be around there must quite a few breeding pairs around....correct? After all these claims have been made for at least a century.

3. OR....there are only a few Black Panther around but Damn....do they get around. Travelers on a scale like we've never seen. But SO secretive that no one has ever gotten one on a game camera, killed one or found one dead.

Is it really too much to ask folks to live in a world of reality!

wow, I bet you are fun at parties.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide