texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Grumps65, coneston, quickshot23, Landdrake, Codclark20
69971 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,450
bill oxner 91,415
SnakeWrangler 63,411
stxranchman 59,968
Gravytrain 46,721
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
BMD 41,232
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics606,252
Posts11,280,885
Members84,971
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Texas Dan] #8627375 06/24/22 03:41 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 12,830
6
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
6
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 12,830
Well, I did hit 9 of 10 bullseyes shooting for score offhand at Edson Range in Marine Basic. The rifle was a Winchester made M14.


Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: 603Country] #8627382 06/24/22 03:47 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
Originally Posted by 603Country
Well, I did hit 9 of 10 bullseyes shooting for score offhand at Edson Range in Marine Basic. The rifle was a Winchester made M14.


You didn’t read my post well. This was done with a rifle with only a front bead, no rear sight to help line things up. It’s an example of what proper fit can account for.

Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Texas Dan] #8627469 06/24/22 05:39 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,364
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,364
Anyone willing to address the issue of rifle balance once you add a can to the end of the barrel?

duel


"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Texas Dan] #8627472 06/24/22 05:42 PM
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,035
P_102 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,035
What’s to address?, the balance changes, period.


Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: TDK] #8627487 06/24/22 05:58 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
Originally Posted by TDK
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
That’s predominantly only with OU’s, because of the bottom Barrel. You are trying to eliminate “cant” through fitting.


Uhm, just no. The job of fitting is to get point of impact and point of aim to match. This involves many factors and many guns aside from just o/u’s and dealing with “cant”.

It’s evident that I’m probably the only one here to have picked up a fitted rifle with only a front bead and point it at a 10x10” target at 200yds and hit it offhand. That’s the beauty of pointability and shoot ability, something drastically overlooked in todays rifle trends mostly concerned with accuracy. Not that that’s bad, we are really discussing two different tools.


You build and redo rifles for a living, specializing in higher end doubles Etc.

My wife semi/beretta is custom fitted including lengthen LOP, stock twisted and shined etc. why I said predominantly. My CG OU is custom fitted.

You are the only one here that’s going to grab an old world rifle and do that, infact you are one of the few that might actually own one. That was my point about modern scoped rifles. It’s two different tools. If I was building or buying a custom doubles open sighted for Africa I would get it fitted.

But none of the scoped rifles I had built in last few years are custom fitted or balanced in any form. There is no need.
They range from 6.5 lbs to 10lbs and all built for different things.

Custom fitting modern scope rifle is waste of money


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: TDK] #8627527 06/24/22 06:38 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 12,830
6
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
6
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 12,830
Very good point. 200 yard shooting with just a front sight is very impressive. Certainly beyond my skill level with any rifle I own.

That Tikka in 260 that Chad had put together for me has a #4 contour barrel, which adds a bit of weight to the ‘front end’. I find that it really helps with holding the rifle steady and shooting well. That said, I’m still limited to under 100 yards for offhand shooting, which I avoid if possible.

I can close my eyes and still see the magnificent whitetail buck I encountered back in the 90’s. I came around the corner of a patch of woods, and there he was, standing still and looking the other way. I brought the 270 up and tried to hold it steady. Distance was maybe a bit over 100 yards. I had the crosshairs on him when he turned his head and saw me. I could see his muscles tense as I squeezed the trigger, and the crosshairs were high, and I took a chunk out of his back, above the spine. All these years, and I want a do-over. That shot sticks in my mind.


Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Texas Dan] #8627574 06/24/22 07:56 PM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 3,564
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 3,564
Thank you TDK. The old saying “you just don’t know what you don’t know” applies to this discussion.


Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8627581 06/24/22 08:08 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Custom fitting modern scope rifle is waste of money


Possibly, depends on how a guy values things I guess. Is there benefit, I believe so?

Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Texas Dan] #8627643 06/24/22 09:34 PM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,329
B
Bryan C. Heimann Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,329
Also, all our late military sniper rifles are in a chassis that is highly modular and adjustable. And before that, they taught you to use a SAME splint to fit your comb/customize your stock weld.

It is most certainly not a waste of money to have a rifle fitted.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 06/24/22 09:34 PM.

Regular Guy/regularguy11B/ laid over
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Texas Dan] #8627706 06/24/22 10:55 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
Goes to show if enough gun writers lacking inspiration repeat the same quote enough it’ll soon be construed as absolute truth. Suddenly you’re consumed by bland uniformity and monotonous utterances.

Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8627745 06/25/22 12:01 AM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 3,564
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 3,564
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by TDK
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
That’s predominantly only with OU’s, because of the bottom Barrel. You are trying to eliminate “cant” through fitting.


Uhm, just no. The job of fitting is to get point of impact and point of aim to match. This involves many factors and many guns aside from just o/u’s and dealing with “cant”.

It’s evident that I’m probably the only one here to have picked up a fitted rifle with only a front bead and point it at a 10x10” target at 200yds and hit it offhand. That’s the beauty of pointability and shoot ability, something drastically overlooked in todays rifle trends mostly concerned with accuracy. Not that that’s bad, we are really discussing two different tools.



You build and redo rifles for a living, specializing in higher end doubles Etc.

My wife semi/beretta is custom fitted including lengthen LOP, stock twisted and shined etc. why I said predominantly. My CG OU is custom fitted.

You are the only one here that’s going to grab an old world rifle and do that, infact you are one of the few that might actually own one. That was my point about modern scoped rifles. It’s two different tools. If I was building or buying a custom doubles open sighted for Africa I would get it fitted.

But none of the scoped rifles I had built in last few years are custom fitted or balanced in any form. There is no need.
They range from 6.5 lbs to 10lbs and all built for different things.

Custom fitting modern scope rifle is waste of money



To you it may be Bobo. Keep in mind though, you are the same fellow that was talking smack about my sons offhand prowess using a fitted rifle to do something you can not do with the gear you use so there is that. Also keep in mind that parallax is only an issue with a scoped rifle if your mount does not put and keep your pupil dead center in the ocular, so there is that too.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 06/25/22 12:03 AM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Smokey Bear] #8627764 06/25/22 12:53 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by TDK
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
That’s predominantly only with OU’s, because of the bottom Barrel. You are trying to eliminate “cant” through fitting.


Uhm, just no. The job of fitting is to get point of impact and point of aim to match. This involves many factors and many guns aside from just o/u’s and dealing with “cant”.

It’s evident that I’m probably the only one here to have picked up a fitted rifle with only a front bead and point it at a 10x10” target at 200yds and hit it offhand. That’s the beauty of pointability and shoot ability, something drastically overlooked in todays rifle trends mostly concerned with accuracy. Not that that’s bad, we are really discussing two different tools.



You build and redo rifles for a living, specializing in higher end doubles Etc.

My wife semi/beretta is custom fitted including lengthen LOP, stock twisted and shined etc. why I said predominantly. My CG OU is custom fitted.

You are the only one here that’s going to grab an old world rifle and do that, infact you are one of the few that might actually own one. That was my point about modern scoped rifles. It’s two different tools. If I was building or buying a custom doubles open sighted for Africa I would get it fitted.

But none of the scoped rifles I had built in last few years are custom fitted or balanced in any form. There is no need.
They range from 6.5 lbs to 10lbs and all built for different things.

Custom fitting modern scope rifle is waste of money



To you it may be Bobo. Keep in mind though, you are the same fellow that was talking smack about my sons offhand prowess using a fitted rifle to do something you can not do with the gear you use so there is that. Also keep in mind that parallax is only an issue with a scoped rifle if your mount does not put and keep your pupil dead center in the ocular, so there is that too.


Re-read what I wrote, I copied and pasted it below. Your paraphrasing is far from what I wrote. , I said Only in MY world and mine only, as I view it as reckless and dangerous, and I didn’t say I couldn’t make the shot, I’ve made further way further

You raise your kids any way you want, mine i will not be pleased at them taking an off hand shot at a rutting buck at that distance. I’d be highly disappointed that they would put ego over safety.

Again you are missing a lot of what I’m saying. You are relating how to mount and shot a rifle to custom fitting and balance. I have truley fitted custom shot guns, by those that honed their craft well before TDK. I know why I had them fitted, that carry over to my rifles world is pointless. I’m betting that the Op has no actual fitted guns.



Originally Posted by bobo
A free hand shot over 200 yards in MY world is reckless(again only in my world) , it’s not because it’s not doable(although you are purposely choosing to introduce a very high margin of error, regardless of the shooter) its because IF YOU HAVE to take that shot at that distance you are solely focused on a target in a fleeting moment and forget what’s behind it etc,“


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8627798 06/25/22 01:20 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,777
S
scalebuster Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,777
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I don’t know Bobo. While I agree with what you are saying while shooting off a rest. Offhand shooting at a high level seems to be a dying art. A seamless mount with a well fitting long gun and point ability are an integral part of doing that at a high level. A lot more is possible with that style of shooting than many are aware of. To get really good at it rifles set up to mount and point intuitively make it markedly easier than using rifled set up for how we shoot off rests.


He brought Bird/duck hunters into a rifle thread, and didn’t understand his own analogy. You can’t compare the way for fitting OU shotgun to a rifle. Reasoning is different.

I completely disagree with you, shooting at a high level is at an all time high, with standards of accuracy being exceeded daily. Practice practice practice. We can break down the design of biathlon rifles and then debate why those designs are not carried over to the general shooting world if you want. As I shot biathlon for a brief period in Colorado

Point I’m making is the OP is discussing a topic that he has no actual impactful knowledge in, especially since in previous statements He condemned any kind of rest, tripod, bipod etc


A free hand shot over 200 yards in MY world is reckless(again only in my world) , it’s not because it’s not doable(although you are purposely choosing to introduce a very high margin of error, regardless of the shooter) its because IF YOU HAVE to take that shot at that distance you are solely focused on a target in a fleeting moment and forget what’s behind it etc, you are whining it. That’s my opinion, I personally would not be happy if my kid took a freehand shot at a rutting buck at that distance. Anyone else I have no judgment for.

If we follow the OP’s advice I’d be building a rifle for a one off scenario of jump shooting mule deer, elk, pronghorn, or I guess ducks with a rifle as he interjected … we would be weighting barrels and stocks, twisting stocks, changing combos etc, while not ACTIVELY seeking any kind of accuracy improvement opportunity to make a more accurate and humane shot

Some can go around practicing biathlon type scenarios, but I will teach the process of eliminating margin of error as much as possible instead of inducing.



I’m sure an offhand shot at 200 is reckless to you Bobo. Although I’ve noticed you know everything. When I was 12 years old I could shoot rifle or shotgun much better than I can now and I’m 47. I shot every day and killed several hundred jackrabbits a week when a brick cost $8. Shooting quail was something we did every day of season with a shotgun. Dove limits were at least 3 days a week during season in west Tx. My youngest shoots every day and I’d put him up against anyone offhand. I’m glad you know your limits. Pointing and shooting a rifle offhand is natural to some. I don’t believe in wasting ammo at the range for anything but developing a load. Quit downplaying Smokey. I’d bet whatever you want to put up he or his son could outshoot you with any weapon you wanted to pick.

Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8627812 06/25/22 01:36 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
T
TDK Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
Online Happy
Extreme Tracker
T
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I have truley fitted custom shot guns, by those that honed their craft well before TDK. I know why I had them fitted, that carry over to my rifles world is pointless.


Meh…

I received a PM from a non participating member stating "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Wisdom I continually look past.

Last edited by TDK; 06/25/22 02:01 AM.
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: TDK] #8627863 06/25/22 02:17 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
Originally Posted by TDK
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I have truley fitted custom shot guns, by those that honed their craft well before TDK. I know why I had them fitted, that carry over to my rifles world is pointless.


Meh…

I received a PM from a non participating member stating "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Wisdom I continually look past.


Then don’t, its not a knock on you. As your work, restorations, stocks, and tooling has alway been beautiful. That’s not the question at hand. I would never spend the money to get one of my rifle fitted like I have for my wife and I on shotguns. There is simply no need. If free hand shooting a moving buck at 200 yards is the epitome of marksmen ship… then I’m not the only pig.


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8627865 06/25/22 02:26 AM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 3,564
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 3,564
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by TDK
[quote=BOBO the Clown]That’s predominantly only with OU’s, because of the bottom Barrel. You are trying to eliminate “cant” through fitting.


Uhm, just no. The job of fitting is to get point of impact and point of aim to match. This involves many factors and many guns aside from just o/u’s and dealing with “cant”.

It’s evident that I’m probably the only one here to have picked up a fitted rifle with only a front bead and point it at a 10x10” target at 200yds and hit it offhand. That’s the beauty of pointability and shoot ability, something drastically overlooked in todays rifle trends mostly concerned with accuracy. Not that that’s bad, we are really discussing two different tools.



You build and redo rifles for a living, specializing in higher end doubles Etc.

My wife semi/beretta is custom fitted including lengthen LOP, stock twisted and shined etc. why I said predominantly. My CG OU is custom fitted.

You are the only one here that’s going to grab an old world rifle and do that, infact you are one of the few that might actually own one. That was my point about modern scoped rifles. It’s two different tools. If I was building or buying a custom doubles open sighted for Africa I would get it fitted.

But none of the scoped rifles I had built in last few years are custom fitted or balanced in any form. There is no need.
They range from 6.5 lbs to 10lbs and all built for different things.

Custom fitting modern scope rifle is waste of money



To you it may be Bobo. Keep in mind though, you are the same fellow that was talking smack about my sons offhand prowess using a fitted rifle to do something you can not do with the gear you use so there is that. Also keep in mind that parallax is only an issue with a scoped rifle if your mount does not put and keep your pupil dead center in the ocular, so there is that too.


Re-read what I wrote, I copied and pasted it below. Your paraphrasing is far from what I wrote. , I said Only in MY world and mine only, as I view it as reckless and dangerous, and I didn’t say I couldn’t make the shot, I’ve made further way further

You raise your kids any way you want, mine i will not be pleased at them taking an off hand shot at a rutting buck at that distance. I’d be highly disappointed that they would put ego over safety.

Again you are missing a lot of what I’m saying. You are relating how to mount and shot a rifle to custom fitting and balance. I have truley fitted custom shot guns, by those that honed their craft well before TDK. I know why I had them fitted, that carry over to my rifles world is pointless. I’m betting that the Op has no actual fitted guns.



Originally Posted by bobo
A free hand shot over 200 yards in MY world is reckless(again only in my world) , it’s not because it’s not doable(although you are purposely choosing to introduce a very high margin of error, regardless of the shooter) its because IF YOU HAVE to take that shot at that distance you are solely focused on a target in a fleeting moment and forget what’s behind it etc,“
[/quote]

Yeah, or it might have been a well executed stalk using wind and terrain to get in front of the deer and in position for a safe shot within his capability as it came to us that worked out just like we planned it. Don’t apply your skill set or make silly assumptions about what skills I’ve taught my son to suit our circumstances or what I’ve passed down to him about getting around in the presence of an animal to get the shot you want.


Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Texas Dan] #8627877 06/25/22 02:50 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 27,919
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 27,919
everything comes back to shooting skill with BOTH eyes OPEN. IDK, but I think I could hit a man-sized target at 200 yards with a properly balanced rifle. Most double rifles at close range are always shot with both eyes open

Remember the old guy who Ray Sasser used to write about before every dove season, Leon Measures? He taught INSTINCT shooting, something we don't see much anymore.

Take your Daisy Red Rider out, throw up charcoal briquets and hit them. You'll quickly see if you know how to shoot without a solid bench or tripod rest. It's all about focusing on the TARGET.

Point and shoot


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: scalebuster] #8627879 06/25/22 02:51 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I don’t know Bobo. While I agree with what you are saying while shooting off a rest. Offhand shooting at a high level seems to be a dying art. A seamless mount with a well fitting long gun and point ability are an integral part of doing that at a high level. A lot more is possible with that style of shooting than many are aware of. To get really good at it rifles set up to mount and point intuitively make it markedly easier than using rifled set up for how we shoot off rests.


He brought Bird/duck hunters into a rifle thread, and didn’t understand his own analogy. You can’t compare the way for fitting OU shotgun to a rifle. Reasoning is different.

I completely disagree with you, shooting at a high level is at an all time high, with standards of accuracy being exceeded daily. Practice practice practice. We can break down the design of biathlon rifles and then debate why those designs are not carried over to the general shooting world if you want. As I shot biathlon for a brief period in Colorado

Point I’m making is the OP is discussing a topic that he has no actual impactful knowledge in, especially since in previous statements He condemned any kind of rest, tripod, bipod etc


A free hand shot over 200 yards in MY world is reckless(again only in my world) , it’s not because it’s not doable(although you are purposely choosing to introduce a very high margin of error, regardless of the shooter) its because IF YOU HAVE to take that shot at that distance you are solely focused on a target in a fleeting moment and forget what’s behind it etc, you are whining it. That’s my opinion, I personally would not be happy if my kid took a freehand shot at a rutting buck at that distance. Anyone else I have no judgment for.

If we follow the OP’s advice I’d be building a rifle for a one off scenario of jump shooting mule deer, elk, pronghorn, or I guess ducks with a rifle as he interjected … we would be weighting barrels and stocks, twisting stocks, changing combos etc, while not ACTIVELY seeking any kind of accuracy improvement opportunity to make a more accurate and humane shot

Some can go around practicing biathlon type scenarios, but I will teach the process of eliminating margin of error as much as possible instead of inducing.



I’m sure an offhand shot at 200 is reckless to you Bobo. Although I’ve noticed you know everything. When I was 12 years old I could shoot rifle or shotgun much better than I can now and I’m 47. I shot every day and killed several hundred jackrabbits a week when a brick cost $8. Shooting quail was something we did every day of season with a shotgun. Dove limits were at least 3 days a week during season in west Tx. My youngest shoots every day and I’d put him up against anyone offhand. I’m glad you know your limits. Pointing and shooting a rifle offhand is natural to some. I don’t believe in wasting ammo at the range for anything but developing a load. Quit downplaying Smokey. I’d bet whatever you want to put up he or his son could outshoot you with any weapon you wanted to pick.


Yes an off hand shot for rutting moving deer with no support is reckless for me at 200 yard. I have no issue shooting deer at 250 plus with proper contact, but not free hand. I care nothing what you or he does, I have said that several times. I can pull my pack down and shoot off it in same time frame and get three points of contact, etc.

I too grew up in the panhandle.. on well over 40 sections I have also killed hundreds of not thousands of quail and pheasants from the truck, ground and horseback. I also had some of the best dogs hunting 300 plus days a year could make. You don’t think I shot bricks of 22’s. The GW took my 22 away at 9 because my cousins and I got caught with over 75 pheasants and not telling how many rabbits. So your point means nothing unless you want to reminiscence about funner more freeing times of you and I’d youth.

My skills are far better then my willingness to push the limits when I can simply take my time and find a better shooting position. I’ve killed lots of animals at distances that I shouldnt have by listening to my ego and not my common sense of just taking my time and get closer or going around. I’m also not comparing myself to anyone. What I killed and how much I hunt doesn’t matter.

I’m still waiting for some to show me how a custom fitted deer rifle is relevant? Do you have one?

Shooting Mechanics are not what I’m talking about. In fact I’m willing to bet the only one on this thread with a truley fitted rifle is TDK. Not shot gun, rifle. Not a custom rifle a truley custom fitted rifle.

This whole thread is about fitted and balanced rifles. There is just no need unless one’s wanting some serious open sight fun, which I already addressed early with stating scoped rifles


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Smokey Bear] #8627885 06/25/22 03:03 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown


A free hand shot over 200 yards in MY world is reckless(again only in my world) , it’s not because it’s not doable(although you are purposely choosing to introduce a very high margin of error, regardless of the shooter) its because IF YOU HAVE to take that shot at that distance you are solely focused on a target in a fleeting moment and forget what’s behind it etc,“


Originally Posted by smokeybear


Yeah, or it might have been a well executed stalk using wind and terrain to get in front of the deer and in position for a safe shot within his capability as it came to us that worked out just like we planned it. Don’t apply your skill set or make silly assumptions about what skills I’ve taught my son to suit our circumstances or what I’ve passed down to him about getting around in the presence of an animal to get the shot you want.


I hunt a lot spot and stalk, in fact 90% of how I hunt, I’m not questioning you or your sons skill, I simplely said in my world I would feel reckless, not because I could or couldn’t make it. It is because off hand at a moving targets has more minus then pluses in my book. That’s me I’ve killed pronghorn at ranges with a 22-250 that are down right stupid, what did I care as a kid, it was crop depredation tags I couldn’t eat them, in hindsight I was reckless.

Again this isn’t about whether I can or can’t, I can make first round hits at 800 + yards doesnt mean I should on a deer or elk. As a kid I’ve kill ton of pheasants in cut corn with snow on the ground, via Kentucky winding them with a 22. A foot to the left and two foot high, kills a lot of pheasants as you walk it in but not exactly something I should of been doing in hindsight, I was reckless

Again I didn’t question anyones skill only the relevance of a custom fitted, custom balanced rifle. Mechanics are mechanics that’s not the debate.



Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Bryan C. Heimann] #8627904 06/25/22 03:25 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 54,735
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Also, all our late military sniper rifles are in a chassis that is highly modular and adjustable. And before that, they taught you to use a SAME splint to fit your comb/customize your stock weld.

It is most certainly not a waste of money to have a rifle fitted.


I own a sig cross that I got for my 9 year old. The modular comb allows for more option on rings and scope choice, Most people don’t need 3-4 in of LOP adjustment. Chassis is far from a custom fitted gun. It’s simply a modular gun with ton of options.

Most your truly fitted rifles are doubles rifles like TDK does, or real big caliber bolts rifles or biathlons rifles etc

Seldom do your every day rifles get fitted, more about mechanic and repetition then fitting.


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Texas Dan] #8627916 06/25/22 03:52 AM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 37,702
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 37,702
I want to see some of these off hand running 200 yard neck shots. Not it happened once kind of thing but you could do it every time. Come on get a video camera put it on YouTube and get rich… my guess is goose egg it ain’t happening. I damn sure can’t nor could I when I was young and shot a lot either.

Last edited by redchevy; 06/25/22 03:53 AM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: redchevy] #8627954 06/25/22 10:48 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,364
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 20,364
Originally Posted by redchevy
I want to see some of these off hand running 200 yard neck shots. Not it happened once kind of thing but you could do it every time. Come on get a video camera put it on YouTube and get rich… my guess is goose egg it ain’t happening. I damn sure can’t nor could I when I was young and shot a lot either.


European hunters are known to be damn good shooters with those straight-pull rifles. And I bet if you checked one of those rifles, you would find balance improves the ability to get off multiple shots with both a straight-pull or conventional bolt-action.


Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/25/22 11:31 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Texas Dan] #8628128 06/25/22 04:00 PM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,329
B
Bryan C. Heimann Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,329
It for sure is possible but you have to accept the fact you’ll miss sometimes, and you gotta have a fast action or a semi auto. Let’s not pretend like we don’t miss birds with a shotgun.

You could call it unethical but I would not. A lot of people might miss a deer standing perfectly still and with a rest just for deer fever and the shakes. Is that unethical?

I don’t think so. I wish I got that much excitement out of ANYTHING.


Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 06/25/22 04:01 PM.

Regular Guy/regularguy11B/ laid over
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: redchevy] #8629043 06/26/22 08:55 PM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 3,564
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 3,564
Originally Posted by redchevy
I want to see some of these off hand running 200 yard neck shots. Not it happened once kind of thing but you could do it every time. Come on get a video camera put it on YouTube and get rich… my guess is goose egg it ain’t happening. I damn sure can’t nor could I when I was young and shot a lot either.


I don’t know why I bother sharing with you dipsticks.


Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Rifle Balance and Pointability [Re: Texas Dan] #8629052 06/26/22 09:03 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,607
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,607
I love it when people assume since they don’t have a certain skill set that it’s not possible that others do.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3