Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: 603Country] #8623426 06/19/22 01:54 AM
603Country Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Probably time for a lighter story with a bit of humor.

Back to tennis (yes, tennis was my life back then). I was in a mixed doubles tournament with a good looking and well built lady friend. We finally lost a match and got eliminated when my partner, Judy, missed a shot. I turned to her to give her some good humored grief for missing when she cried out and started to fall. I grabbed her and took her over to some shade, but that wasn’t good enough. A guy had a Toyota Celica hatchback, so we opened the hatch, put her in there and packed her in ice. She was my regular partner, so some folks thought she was my wife, and one of them said that she was having a tough time breathing, so I should unhook her bra. Sounded like a great idea to me, but my wife moved in, hit me with a body slam and took over the bra issue. Dang! So once Judy was sort of stabilized I drove her to a close emergency room. They let me see her a bit later, so I went back to where she was. She was hooked up to all sorts of equipment, and we could see her pulse rate and respiration rate. She seemed Ok, but weak. About that time a doctor came in. He was maybe the best looking guy I had ever seen, and from the look on Judy’s face, she was happy to see him. He took his stethoscope and put it under her hospital gown to listen to her heart. She was big eyed and smiling, and her pulse and respiration rates went up like a rocket. I pointed that out and she turned a rosy shade of red (at least the parts that I could see). It seemed obvious that she was Ok, and I took her home. I kidded her about that doctor for years. The good news is that she never had any follow up problems, but if it hadn’t been for the ice right there at the court, and the guy offering his hatchback, it could have been much worse.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: 603Country] #8623429 06/19/22 02:02 AM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Sorry for the loss of your friend and prayers for the family.
In my early 20's, I was working on a heater in a cracking plant and got dehydrated but kept working as we were almost done with the job. I woke up in an ambulance packed in ice. I don't sweat much because of said event, so I use a "Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad Towel" around my neck to help me keep cool along with an SPF 40 or 50 shirt and a straw hat. The shirt will help keep the sun from raising you body temperature, it makes a big difference.
Stay safe out there folks.

Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: Adchunts] #8623453 06/19/22 02:28 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Adchunts
Wound up in the ER in my mid-20’s due to not paying attention to the heat-related warning signs. Doesn’t matter how much of a stud you think you are, heat and dehydration will take you down. Learned the hard way, and I do not tolerate heat as well after that incident.

^^^^^

I don't know if this is a common occurrence after a severe heat related incident or not, but it certainly affected me after mine. I have some people scoff when I tell them that and admittedly I struggle to understand or offer a physical reason for it (mental maybe) but nonetheless it is very real to me.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: flintknapper] #8623518 06/19/22 03:45 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by Adchunts
Wound up in the ER in my mid-20’s due to not paying attention to the heat-related warning signs. Doesn’t matter how much of a stud you think you are, heat and dehydration will take you down. Learned the hard way, and I do not tolerate heat as well after that incident.

^^^^^

I don't know if this is a common occurrence after a severe heat related incident or not, but it certainly affected me after mine. I have some people scoff when I tell them that and admittedly I struggle to understand or offer a physical reason for it (mental maybe) but nonetheless it is very real to me.

Very much real and not that uncommon. You can screw up your hypothalamus for a while. It's at the base of your brain and regulates body temperature. I went on a warehouse fire with giant stacked rolls of paper burning. There was a couple other fires in the city so we were the only engine in for a long while. I carried in a hose pack and extra bottles and went through three air bottles back to back changing my own bottles at the seat of the fire and on that hose line by myself during the entire ordeal until I fell out and my world went black. I found myself in the back of an ambulance stripped down with cool packs and ice water on me. I heard my temp taken at that moment was 104 and that is after they had already started cooling me down, so I had been hotter. I too was more susceptible to heat related incidents after that, found myself in the hospital two more times that year, and was visiting a neurologist, but it did pass.

You also get more susceptible to heat as you get older. Poorer circulation, you don't sweat as much, and other stuff. Staying hydrated is extremely important. Also if your on blood pressure medicine, some of them can make you more susceptible to the heat. Especially some beta blockers.

Sorry for your loss 603Country.

Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: 603Country] #8623520 06/19/22 03:47 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Good friend is building us own house. He’s framing it himself I’m wiring it up. Spent 12 hours in it today. Hydrated very well kept wet bandanna on head and neck. No problem.

Amazing how much water, body armor and pickle juice I drank today and never peed.

Last edited by ducknbass; 06/19/22 03:49 AM.
Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: Stub] #8623604 06/19/22 12:50 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Stub
My warning sign is when I am out in the heat to long it feels like my heart is beating/throbbing in my ears, when that starts I take a break.

They are forecasting a hot one this summer. I am betting mid July that pattern breaks with some early tropical depressions coming in out of the gulf bringing much need rain and cooler weather to a lot of the state up

They are always forecasting a hot one. We haven't had a truly hot summer here since 2011.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: 603Country] #8623625 06/19/22 01:14 PM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Work in the weather every day. Either with my construction company, cattle ranch or hay baling business. A man’s body will acclimate and get used to the heat, keep plenty of water on hand and take a break once and awhile. If you spend most of your day in the house, office or car and then get outside in it for a hour or so, you will feel hotter because your body isn’t used to it and can’t handle it.

Raking hay in 10 minutes on a John Deere 4040 with only a canopy. Have a cooler next to me and a rag on my neck.

If you are working outside be careful, seems some people need to hide inside.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: 603Country] #8623629 06/19/22 01:23 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
A few years back I was diagnosed with heat induced Rhabdomyolysis and spent 3 days in the hospital. I was working at the lease and it was 107 outside when it happened. I got to to the point where my strength was zapped, started running a fever and had uncontrollable chills. I was fortunate that the overall outcome was good, but it took me a few years to fully recover. Protein levels in my kidneys from death of muscle tissue took months to normalize. When working in the heat, I take more frequent breaks, I wear a cooling vest, keep a cooling rag around my neck and pound liquids and not just water. My daughter bought me some additive that has salt, potassium and other stuff.

Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: 603Country] #8623656 06/19/22 02:03 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

We grew up here without air conditioning. The body adjusts.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: 603Country] #8623685 06/19/22 02:41 PM
603Country Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I suppose I could get used to the heat again. It didn’t bother me when I was young, though. I grew up in a non-air conditioned world. First air conditioned classroom was in college.

On a similar note, my grandmother always said she loved the Fall best, whereas I was a fan of Springtime. It was years later when I realized that her preference for Fall was due to cooler weather. She never had AC. I’m getting more fond of Fall myself.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Stay out of the heat [Re: GUTIT] #8623762 06/19/22 03:55 PM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by GUTIT
Work in the weather every day. Either with my construction company, cattle ranch or hay baling business. A man’s body will acclimate and get used to the heat, keep plenty of water on hand and take a break once and awhile. If you spend most of your day in the house, office or car and then get outside in it for a hour or so, you will feel hotter because your body isn’t used to it and can’t handle it.

Raking hay in 10 minutes on a John Deere 4040 with only a canopy. Have a cooler next to me and a rag on my neck.

If you are working outside be careful, seems some people need to hide inside.

Some medications can also make people more sensitive to the sun...especially antibiotics, but there are several on the list. If you take medications regularly, you should check to see if they have that potential side effect.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide