Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623053 06/18/22 01:56 PM
D
Dry Fire Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
My one dividend stock is down, but the dividend has remained unchanged. Got a big chunk in bonds and the only stock I'm buying is Apple. I had a buy order at $135 executed this week. My next buy order is $120. Apple is one of the few stocks I trust to rebound the quickest.

coffee spelled backwards is eeffoc. I don't give eeffoc until I have my morning coffee.
Re: Market Loses [Re: angus1956] #8623234 06/18/22 07:56 PM
glens Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by angus1956
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Holding cash on the sidelines.

So you are losing 10% a year.

In these time if your making 10% per year you need to share your number with everyone here. Happy for you.

Yeah most would like to jump on board with that 10% . Sold everything Wednesday at close and if I would have stayed in until close yesterday (Friday) would have lost another $15,000 grand from Wednesday in our so called managed/ watched investments. Need to start watching as this is the third time in 20 years We've taken a bath on low risk ETF's/Mutual Funds. Will fire this one and find another Firm next week. flame

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623254 06/18/22 08:20 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Glens, didn't you sell at the low point when COVID hit too? It's only a loss on paper until you lock it in by selling.....

I will also say this....no one will watch your money like you do. Those "money managers" or "advisors" get paid no matter what your account does.

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623263 06/18/22 08:41 PM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
What about reit’s? They should be solid but maybe not for long. Self storage units have been boomin as well as rental multi family

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623271 06/18/22 08:50 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by glens

In these time if your making 10% per year you need to share your number with everyone here. Happy for you.

Yeah most would like to jump on board with that 10% . Sold everything Wednesday at close and if I would have stayed in until close yesterday (Friday) would have lost another $15,000 grand from Wednesday in our so called managed/ watched investments. Need to start watching as this is the third time in 20 years We've taken a bath on low risk ETF's/Mutual Funds. Will fire this one and find another Firm next week. flame

Wednesday was a good opportunity if you wanted out. It was obvious to me that little rally after the fed meeting would not hold up. I was taking profit on all my trades going into close Wednesday, but I also started buying them back 2% to 5% cheaper going into close on Thursday. nidea

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623397 06/19/22 12:33 AM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
A lot has been written lately about market liquidity. Just call it buyers. When you want to sell something there has to be a buyer. There has always been a buyer for a security you want to sell....right?

Mortgage Backed Securities have always been very very liquid, until one day recently. If and when a cascade of selling starts the same thing could happen with whatever you have to sell.

https://notoriousrob.com/2022/06/finally-no-bid-on-mbs/

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623464 06/19/22 02:48 AM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Last week I was ready to put some of my cash to work and buy some more DVN. I am glad I didn't. Now I am looking to lock in the profits I have in oil stocks.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623543 06/19/22 06:48 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

What are you doing and firing folks for? You expect them to time the market perfectly for you? You will never find that exact match. It's going to go back up you know.

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623563 06/19/22 11:33 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
If you don't sell you don't loose. The market will come back and then you will wish you had kept.

Re: Market Loses [Re: don k] #8623613 06/19/22 01:01 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by don k
If you don't sell you don't loose. The market will come back and then you will wish you had kept.

Exactly. Some guys spend a ton of their life watching this stuff. If it's your passion, well, it's good to have a hobby. I try not to look at our stuff very often. I trust and rely on our financial guy and his firm. He'll call and say "We've got a problem," if there's a problem. I haven't received that call in 20 years.

'Never met anyone that "hit it big" doing their own thing. I remember back in the "day trader" days. Lots of guys stealing time from their employer, messing with that BS. They were all gonna be rich.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Market Loses [Re: DocHorton] #8623646 06/19/22 01:49 PM
glens Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Glens, didn't you sell at the low point when COVID hit too? It's only a loss on paper until you lock it in by selling.....

I will also say this....no one will watch your money like you do. Those "money managers" or "advisors" get paid no matter what your account does.

No Doc fired Schwab and took a pounding then and I moved to another firm. (US Capital Advisors). My problem is I never even glance at it. Our's is low risk investments with a ("you call me if portfolio drops 10%") agreement and I didn't watch it this time either. Down a ton since January. Moved all to cash (Wednnesday at close) or short term T Bills until this straightens out. When I get back in, will check it often and with another firm.

Re: Market Loses [Re: Poppa] #8623730 06/19/22 03:12 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Poppa
What about reit’s? They should be solid but maybe not for long. Self storage units have been boomin as well as rental multi family

We bought a dump of a house in a nice little east Texas town. Word has spread that we are rehabbing it for a LTR. I’m setting the price now at $1800 a month for a 1300sqft 3/2. People are chomping at the bit and we are hoping to have it up and running by mid September

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623793 06/19/22 04:53 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

No Doc fired Schwab and took a pounding then and I moved to another firm. (US Capital Advisors). My problem is I never even glance at it. Our's is low risk investments with a ("you call me if portfolio drops 10%") agreement and I didn't watch it this time either. Down a ton since January. Moved all to cash (Wednnesday at close) or short term T Bills until this straightens out. When I get back in, will check it often and with another firm.

Since you went all cash just now you are gambling the market will drop and you will get back in at the bottom. That is market timing. Good luck.

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623797 06/19/22 05:03 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
All funds sitting on the side for now. Made the switch about 6 weeks ago. Had talked with a large financial institution about staying in with a lot of diversifications. They gave me their recommendations of which I checked a few days later. All had a loss for that day, nobody watches your funds as much as you do.

Re: Market Loses [Re: Txduckman] #8623869 06/19/22 07:58 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Txduckman

Since you went all cash just now you are gambling the market will drop and you will get back in at the bottom. That is market timing. Good luck.

For what has been going on this year I see a bigger picture.
I might be wrong on a point or two in how I present it and I had to look up a couple figures, but my basic understanding before 2022 the Fed had accumulated almost 9 trillion in assets buying 120 billion of the bond market monthly. In December the Fed started tapering those purchases and at some point in 2022 would start reducing those assets as they reach maturity. Which started in March and will accelerate in Sept. Then you also know early in 2022 the Fed is going to start raising interest rates. And they did start. 50 points last month, 75 this month. Then too we have a significant adult population that is experiencing problems from inflation for the first time in their lives. Though the Fed policy is trying to curb or slow it, history has shown it can't stop it and could even make it worse. We also know from past history that oil prices have a direct influence on inflation and our current govt is anti fossil fuel. Not to mention Russia a major producer of same had amassed an army on the border of Ukraine at the time.

At the first of the year, the market had just come off somewhere near it's all time high probably due to a start back to normal from covid. You can't predict a market bottom, but If anyone was paying attention and doing any research on how the above events would impact the market, they could have predicted which direction the market was going to go the first half of 2022. No doubt, no speculation. Even with the obvious I regret due to the can't time the market mentality that is drilled into all of us, I think I only moved 1/3rd into cash after selling and rebalancing in early January, but at least most of what I sold was big tech stuff.

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623914 06/19/22 09:20 PM
R
Remo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Betting the bottom is lower, been moving the last of a few items into cash over the past few months, but still have a shrinking IRA I need to move to self-directed. Right now it seems like having a kick-[censored] electric generator would be a better investment than a lot of things.
Interesting watching how gold and silver behave in dollar price the past few years. Those prices never do what I would think, making me reticent to move more bigly into metals. They look manipulated on their face, even to a $ moron like me.
I'm very wary 'cause right out of college I had a job in financial service and contacts at Bernard Madoff and man, don't let anyone tell you what they were doing wasn't obvious to anyone paying attention, even the clients.

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623932 06/19/22 10:01 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Here is my advice (especially to the younger folks who are a ways from retirement)

I decided years ago that I did not want to spend my retirement counting on having to make 6-10% or more with market exposure so as to not run out of money before wife and I die. So I invested in good mutual funds during my accumulation days but even more important than that is I saved a good percentage of my income over all those years and did not touch it. I religiously saved. Then when I hit my early 60's I had enough that I could provide a good income without being heavy into the market. Currently I am 90% in a fixed 3.5% return account and 10% in conservative mutual funds.

I wanted to be in a position that when I retired I did not have to put my money at risk but rather accept lower returns but have little or no risk. It has worked out pretty well.

(the 3.5% guaranteed fixed return is from my 401K plan and several fixed annuities I bought)

You can't fix stupid
Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8623982 06/19/22 11:51 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Fear and greed are an interesting irony to observe……just like this thread shows…..people let fear drive them to sell at the worst time and greed sees them buy at the all time highs when they should go to cash……and move to cash when they should be buying……this is why most investors return suck compared to passive index investing……hammer

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Market Loses [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8624044 06/20/22 01:57 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Fear and greed are an interesting irony to observe……just like this thread shows…..people let fear drive them to sell at the worst time and greed sees them buy at the all time highs when they should go to cash……and move to cash when they should be buying……this is why most investors return suck compared to passive index investing……hammer

Yep

You can't fix stupid
Re: Market Loses [Re: Creekrunner] #8624052 06/20/22 02:12 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by don k

Exactly. Some guys spend a ton of their life watching this stuff. If it's your passion, well, it's good to have a hobby. I try not to look at our stuff very often. I trust and rely on our financial guy and his firm. He'll call and say "We've got a problem," if there's a problem. I haven't received that call in 20 years.

'Never met anyone that "hit it big" doing their own thing. I remember back in the "day trader" days. Lots of guys stealing time from their employer, messing with that BS. They were all gonna be rich.

up

Very well stated.

To be determined
Re: Market Loses [Re: BigPig] #8624100 06/20/22 03:18 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by BigPig

We bought a dump of a house in a nice little east Texas town. Word has spread that we are rehabbing it for a LTR. I’m setting the price now at $1800 a month for a 1300sqft 3/2. People are chomping at the bit and we are hoping to have it up and running by mid September

up

Re: Market Loses [Re: DocHorton] #8624389 06/20/22 04:38 PM
P
Poppa Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted by BigPig

up

right on!

Re: Market Loses [Re: Txduckman] #8624448 06/20/22 06:19 PM
glens Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity

This is not a one upper thread.

True on timing/gambling but after looking at portfolio 2 weeks ago (($133,000 down since January 1st.) . I'm retired and drawing off account monthly. Never have but I will watch it in the next Rodeo. Been burnt 2 times since I've been retired (10 years) with no calls. Talk every month or two with Capital but they tell me evrything is moving along nicely.

dead_horse

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8624614 06/20/22 10:51 PM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A

This is not a one upper thread.

True on timing/gambling but after looking at portfolio 2 weeks ago (($133,000 down since January 1st.) . I'm retired and drawing off account monthly. Never have but I will watch it in the next Rodeo. Been burnt 2 times since I've been retired (10 years) with no calls. Talk every month or two with Capital but they tell me evrything is moving along nicely.

dead_horse

Was his nose growing when he told you that?

Re: Market Loses [Re: glens] #8624729 06/21/22 02:01 AM
D
Donpilot Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Stock market is down just a little since B took office. We have lost16 months of gains.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide