Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
English Blonde Lab Breeder in North Texas #8515241 01/27/22 07:12 PM
duckgunner Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Howdy THF,

My wife and I are expecting our 3rd in April, a baby girl to brother (4) and sister (2). We're starting to talk about getting a lab and could be on the lookout for a blonde English lab pup in the next few months. We will spend what we need to for it to be an excellent well-trained duck dog, but it will be our family dog 99 percent of the time. Temperament around young children is of the upmost importance. No rush, but please share any breeder recommendations that might fit the bill.

Warm regards,
Jason in DFW

I'm looking for a Tikka T3X Superlite in .30-06
Re: English Blonde Lab Breeder in North Texas [Re: duckgunner] #8515296 01/27/22 08:27 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Not a lab, but my neighbor breeds high pedigree English Cream Retrievers imported form Europe. I believe he has a litter dropping in the next few weeks.

Re: English Blonde Lab Breeder in North Texas [Re: duckgunner] #8516318 01/29/22 03:43 AM
C
Cow_doc.308 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
First, congrats on the new baby!

I would look for someone who breeds english type labs with parents that hunt. Wildrose Kennels started in Oxford, MS and is probably most famous for these type dogs. They've raised two of the official DU dogs. They have a kennel in DFW now too.

Not in Texas, but you could also look at Sporting Life Kennels in Oxford, MS. Marty Roberts owns it. It's where I'm sending my pup for training in May. They raise a lot of puppies but breed for calm temperament, but a strong desire to hunt and please.

Duck Hill Kennels in Tennessee is another great one.

I would stay away from the more field trial bred dogs. They tend to be higher energy and don't always have and 'off' switch. Not true for all of them by any means, but more likely to see it in those lines.

Good luck with the search. Keep us posted

Re: English Blonde Lab Breeder in North Texas [Re: duckgunner] #8621629 06/16/22 02:24 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I think you're looking for what is also known as "conformation bred" - not to be confused with British - which is what Doc is recommending with all of those breeders.

Most people in the US, when referencing "English" are referencing conformation bred dogs - which indeed do have a similar personality to British bred/trained dogs. They're going to be bigger, blockier, and much stockier than a field bred or British bred dog. Heavier coat, heavier undercoat, shorter heavier bone structure, shorter snout, and shorter thicker tail - that is a confirmation (English) lab. There is only one breed of lab but those are the three main versions: conformation (English), field (American), and British. Both of my EL are in the 90-100lb range and are not overweight. They both hunt just fine.

As far as good breeders go - Dickendall is a good one - but it used to be pretty hard to get on of their dogs. Yellow Rose is another I've heard good things about. There are numerous out there though.

You really can't go wrong with any of the varieties...a lab is a lab at the end of the day - BUT - from personal experience true english labs are probably going to be a bit more laid back vs the other types.

Re: English Blonde Lab Breeder in North Texas [Re: duckgunner] #8621713 06/16/22 03:47 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
To piggy back on Cochise...

He is correct. Make sure you get your terms straight.

English - typically larger, show/conformation bred looking dogs. Usually not from hunting lines but some may hunt. Should do your homework and make sure parents hunt. You could easily get a pup that doesn't even want to retrieve and is destined to be a couch potato.

British - Typically look like American bred field labs, come from British filed lines. In general but not always the case they are bred for a calmer temperament, sometimes IMO not bred for ability or even temperament but just used as a marketing tool to sell pups. Make sure you find a good breeder. If I was going to get a British I would look at Southern Oak Kennels and tell them exactly what you want.

"American/Field" - they have a huge range in look and temperament. You can find everything you want from looks, ability, health and temperament in an American field bred lab. The problem is you must do your homework. Many are bred with little regard for conformation/looks but many are very good looking dogs. Many are bred for just ability and might overlook temperament. But IMO the best all around retrievers come from American field lines, it's just a gamble.

I also would stay away from any breeder who uses "cream" or "blonde" as a marketing tool.

You have Black, Yellow and Chocolate only. If you want lighter yellow just look at the pictures of parents and puppies.

Good luck

Last edited by BradyBuck; 06/16/22 03:52 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: English Blonde Lab Breeder in North Texas [Re: BradyBuck] #8659054 08/08/22 02:26 AM
S
StevieRay54 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
[quote][/quote]Take a look at Robert Milnor “Duck Hill Kennels” Just outside Memphis. He knows more about British labs than most anyone in the US. I have a fine British male fox red import. Robert was the founder of Yellow Rose Kennels. Also try Facebook: there are several British Fox Red groups. The fox Red are actually Ver dark yellow. Huntfeild Kennels just north of Jackson, Ms is another breeder of British labs. Mostly yellow and Red

Last edited by StevieRay54; 08/08/22 02:30 AM. Reason: Add additional information
Re: English Blonde Lab Breeder in North Texas [Re: duckgunner] #8805210 02/20/23 10:43 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Don't know if you're still on the hunt or not but I figured I'd leave this here in case it helps someone else out. I have a British Lab from Double T Kennel in Kansas and he's been absolutely fantastic. At 9 years old this May, we are talking about finding another one to learn from the old dog

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide