Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bodark apples. #8618342 06/12/22 01:31 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Yeah, I know that’s not the correct spelling.

About 25 years ago a friend killed a monster, record breaking buck, in North Texas on his private land. I talked to him about it and he said that he was hunting his bios d arc (bodark) trees. He said they ignored his corn feeders to get to the apples from the trees.

I’m going to try it this year. I’ve noted some trees in the Fort Worth area. To keep the hogs away from them I’m building and, when possible, buying tables high enough to eliminate hog feeding.

I’ll still fill my 5 corn feeders but only throw for a second or 2.

Will it work? We will see.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8618368 06/12/22 02:22 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Why not build a fence similar to what every builds around a feeder?

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8618418 06/12/22 03:32 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I am not following the "tables" idea. How does that work?

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8618440 06/12/22 04:00 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I read an article once that talked about the Hedge apples and deer. Apparently these guys put up cameras on them and the only deer that ate them were mature bucks and the only time they had evidence of them being eaten was late in the year mostly post rut and they would just swallow them whole. Seems like an energy replacement after being run down.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8618461 06/12/22 04:37 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’ve never seen any evidence that would suggest that deer eat “horse apples”. What I have seen, time and again, is deer eating the lush grass in the drip zone of those trees.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8618469 06/12/22 04:53 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
In Grayson county many many years ago when I hunted public land there every year, one of my bow stand spots was under a bodark tree. I witnessed deer eating horse apples several times, but it was not the whole ones. They ate ones that had been torn up to bits by squirrels. I discovered it when I was hunting squirrels in the same area. There have been other areas of the state I have hunted with bodark trees present where nothing would eating the horse apples. So it may be related to a lack of other food sources or mast being available in the immediate area. Or maybe even a lack of squirrels to break them down for the deer.

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Simple Searcher] #8619925 06/14/22 11:02 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Searcher, I have some old steel tables with “sides” on them. They’re about 3 ft tall with with about 3 inch high edges. Also, grandsons built some wooden tables with edges/sides on them. They filled them with protein pellets and powder that the deer and hogs mostly ignored. Coons were the most frequent visitor. Rain mostly killed that project due to rotten powder.

My observation is that corn trumps everything. But, coons and pigs pretty well clean everything out in a hurry.

The bodark Idea is something that I’ve thought about for many years and haven’t gotten off my butt and tried it.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8620035 06/14/22 01:22 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
They rot on the ground here with dozens of deer hanging around and not eating them.

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8671095 08/22/22 05:12 PM
B
Bois D'arc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Squirrels love them, deer not so much

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8679251 09/02/22 03:01 AM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
I read an article once that talked about the Hedge apples and deer. Apparently these guys put up cameras on them and the only deer that ate them were mature bucks and the only time they had evidence of them being eaten was late in the year mostly post rut and they would just swallow them whole. Seems like an energy replacement after being run down.

A deer swallowing something the size of, or larger than a softball whole?

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8679258 09/02/22 03:04 AM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

My observation is that corn trumps everything. But, coons and pigs pretty well clean everything out in a hurry.

Corn is not king over high quality browse, like a wheat field or any type of food plot. Corn is an attraction and a dessert!

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8680520 09/04/22 03:42 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Saw a osage orange that had been split
Open and eaten mostly sitting on the felled log of another osage orange tree.

Figure it must have been a coon to put it there and eat it.

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: rickym] #8680529 09/04/22 04:10 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by rickym
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

Corn is not king over high quality browse, like a wheat field or any type of food plot. Corn is an attraction and a dessert!

Yelp, I’ve seen deer literally walk over corn to eat white acorns. My old farm deer would hardly touch corn until late winter, after all the acorns , beans, alfalfa and clover where gone.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: ntxtrapper] #8680603 09/04/22 12:58 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
They rot on the ground here with dozens of deer hanging around and not eating them.

Same here....nothing eats them....least of all deer.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8680618 09/04/22 01:25 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've heard the old timers would roll them under pier and beam houses as a natural bug repellant.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8684665 09/10/22 03:33 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
On Kansas deer hunts, I have seen deer nibble on hedge apples from time to time. They don't attack them like the apples are a favorite staple, but if one is busted open and the deer don't have to work too hard, they will get a bite or two. I must admit though, that a large apple hitting the ground from high up, in low light while the woods are still and quiet can give you quite a start. eek2

I have a buddy who's been bringing them down to the ranchito for me from Kansas. I'd like to get some good hedge growth out there for nothing else than to provide a little better firewood. I know there are better options but it's free with no work needed and I'm not able to be there to tend them anyway. If they catch on, great. If not, no biggie.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: kry226] #8684667 09/10/22 03:46 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by kry226
On Kansas deer hunts, I have seen deer nibble on hedge apples from time to time. They don't attack them like the apples are a favorite staple, but if one is busted open and the deer don't have to work too hard, they will get a bite or two. I must admit though, that a large apple hitting the ground from high up, in low light while the woods are still and quiet can give you quite a start. eek2

I have a buddy who's been bringing them down to the ranchito for me from Kansas. I'd like to get some good hedge growth out there for nothing else than to provide a little better firewood. I know there are better options but it's free with no work needed and I'm not able to be there to tend them anyway. If they catch on, great. If not, no biggie.

Firewood? You better buy stock in your chainsaw company of choice. That’s possibly the silliest thing I’ve ever heard on here. Good luck is all I got rofl

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Ol Thumper] #8685417 09/11/22 07:26 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Originally Posted by kry226

Firewood? You better buy stock in your chainsaw company of choice. That’s possibly the silliest thing I’ve ever heard on here. Good luck is all I got rofl

Oh thank you, sir, great God of the Lumberjacks! Thank you for helping me to see the error of my ways before I make the deadly mistake of turning my chainsaw loose into living concrete!

You act like I have never put a chainsaw to a hedge tree. A good buddy and I have spent hours splitting hedge on his ranch and it's not that big of a deal. No, it's not soft and not the ideal wood, but it grows quickly and it's one of the only things that would grow well out there other than the cottonwood and elms I mentioned earlier. There are tons of it all around my place, just down the road- but none on me. Another good buddy has his own portable mill and produces some amazing woodworks from hedge too. It's a beautiful wood.

There are not a lot of oak, poplar, or any of the other desirable hardwoods out there, or even pine, nor would they grow well. I'm also not trying to start a hedge plantation, but just looking for other viable options. It burns super hot and resists rotting really well. It's ok for fireplace use, but you need a robust screen as it sparks and pops like no other.

And if this is one of the silliest things you've heard on here, you've obviously missed 99% of the ridiculousness said on THF. But, so glad I could amuse you and provide a target for your ridicule and disrespect... rolleyes

Thanks again for wishing me luck! Have a good night, sir. up

[Linked Image]
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8685420 09/11/22 08:07 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I was busting your chops scooter, don’t be so dang sensitive. I’ve literally made a ton of money over the years removing these trees since most people hate them but if it’s your thing thing roll with it. My ground crew’s would rather fight a pissed off rattler in their pants than cut on this stuff but if you think it’s a viable option for your situation then go for it.

I am glad to see you refer to me as a lumber Jack though roflmao I’ve earned that tittle after 29 years of removing forests from the face of the earth.. If you need more apples pm me and I can supply you with as many as you want to load up.

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Ol Thumper] #8685422 09/11/22 09:35 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I was busting your chops scooter, don’t be so dang sensitive. I’ve literally made a ton of money over the years removing these trees since most people hate them but if it’s your thing thing roll with it. My ground crew’s would rather fight a pissed off rattler in their pants than cut on this stuff but if you think it’s a viable option for your situation then go for it.

I am glad to see you refer to me as a lumber Jack though roflmao I’ve earned that tittle after 29 years of removing forests from the face of the earth.. If you need more apples pm me and I can supply you with as many as you want to load up.

Thank you, sir. up

Not sensitive in the least, but with the prevalence of keyboard commandos and people who simply don't know how or outright refuse to treat each other with dignity and respect these days, I am ready to stand my ground.

I can absolutely see how they can be a nuisance and have seen many nuisance hedge trees over the years, be they growing over driveways or as "hedges" along fence lines. I am sure you've forgotten more about trees than I'll likely ever know and I do appreciate the insight. But what's one man's nuisance is another man's answer. I have no love for hedge, but no hate for it either. Be safe, lumberjack. Don't need any apples at this time, but I'm always happy to take any advice you'd like to share. yingyang

back

[Linked Image]
Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8696396 09/26/22 11:15 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
They prefer the leaves over the apples

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8696592 09/27/22 04:50 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
If you want natural deer attracting forage, plant many persimmon trees
and honeysuckle, not to mention the oaks and hickory trees and other
mast bearing trees
Bo-darks and hackberry trees only grow in places that you don't
want them. Trying to cultivate them only makes them wither
and die

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: maximum] #8697768 09/28/22 07:48 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Max, I have 133 acres that is almost solid oaks. Well, not solid. I have some world class rocks and some cedars.

Interesting that you say trying to cultivate them can make them die. I’m going to collect some of the “apples” this year just to see what happens.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 09/28/22 07:50 PM.

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8699043 09/30/22 04:15 PM
M
MClark Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Where I hunt the deer and hogs don’t eat them. I put a hedge apple where we normally feed, covered it with corn. Next day corn was gone and apple still there.
Bodark stock for an Encore, no finish. Considerably heavier than walnut.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bodark apples. [Re: Dave Davidson] #8699084 09/30/22 05:45 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Bodark aka ozark orange was used for windbreak and wildlife refuge for centuries. Pretty much a briar patch. Used to plant them on farms as a kid. Varmints might pick at them but not deer. Don't remember horses eating them either. Very hard wood but full of rosin that burns like crazy. Similar to Mesquite.

Last edited by duffas; 09/30/22 05:47 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide