Print Thread
Orthotic Insoles? #8594360 05/09/22 02:51 PM
D
DannyB Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I have a problem with low arches. This has only started in the past year or so at mid sixties. I keep hearing I should get orthics. If they are the hard plastic kind that sounds like walking in wooden shoes. Am I wrong?

I have actually torn or sprained something in my left foot mid section. X-rays showed noting broken. The radiologist said osteoarthritic changes, etc. My doctor has referred me to a Podiatrist and I am expecting their call. I'm just wondering what I'm getting into.

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8594386 05/09/22 03:27 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I wore orthotics for a few years. I used to run a lot of miles, and my knees started hurting really bad, to the point that I couldn’t run 100 feet without big pain. I went to a podiatrist called the running doctor. He taped Dr Scholls pads in spots on the bottom of my feet after cutting the pads to specific sizes and shapes. I thought he was nuts. Then he said “when you run tonight, see how it feels”. I said that I was seeing him cause I couldn’t run at all. He said to just try it. I went home, put on my running shoes and ran 2 miles with NO pain. Crazy! I told him that the pads had let me run, and he fitted me for orthotics that duplicated the pad placement. And I ran for years with the orthotics, until I found that I didn’t need them any more.

They were very expensive, as I remember, but worth it.

The reason that the orthotics worked was that it changed slightly the foot strike as I ran. In other words, it realigned leg joint alignment at the knee. Don’t ask me how.

If you had told me that my issues could have been fixed with Dr Scholl’s pads strategically placed on the soles of my feet, I’d have thought you were nuts.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8594393 05/09/22 03:36 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

good story, good ending.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8594427 05/09/22 04:44 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Try Superfeet inserts.

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8594513 05/09/22 07:38 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I get mine from https://orthodynamics.com/pre-molded-orthotics/ but you will need to know what your needs are to know what to buy. I use the Heel-Lites with arch fillers added in my boots and even my waders. I also use their sportsman orthotics. It has been life changing in that my plantar fasciitis and heel spurs have not been a problem since I started using them 4 years ago.

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8594528 05/09/22 08:21 PM
D
DannyB Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I have read conflicting info about a Medicare Supplement (Plan G vs. Med. Advantage) paying for orthotics. One site will say only if diabetic and another site will say if the Podiatrist says it is medically necessary. What is a Podiatrist going to say, that they are prescribing them but they aren't really needed?

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8594756 05/10/22 05:24 AM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I suffered thru plantar fasciitis on both feet, to the point where I had to see my ortho. He had me go to a local running store which was set up with balance and pressure point measuring instruments. They determined the proper insoles for me and I now use them in every pair of shoes and hunting boots that I wear. Worlds better, and pain free. Mine are the Superfeet, and Softsole are another that has excellent results. They will outlast 2 or 3 sets of running shoes, so the $50-60 dollars. s well spent. The Pro-Form are actually heated in the oven, and molded to your feet, but they run about twice what the over the counter ones are.

Last edited by Blank; 05/10/22 05:25 AM.
Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8594759 05/10/22 06:37 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I now wear Hoka ORA Recovery Sandals when I am off work

During the day I wear Crocs clogs Off Road

They have been a life saver on my feet and knees, before finding the right footwear I was having to get a foot massage weekly

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8594872 05/10/22 01:33 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I have high arches and started getting plantar fasciitis a few years ago. So bad I would have to get heel injections at the podiatrist which were brutal but worked. She gave me some inserts which I wore for a while but really didn't solve the problem. Biggest thing she advised was stop walking barefoot even in the house and she restrung the laces in my walking shoes. Haven't had a problem since.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8594915 05/10/22 02:42 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Easiest things to change - Lose 10-30#, stop walking barefoot, get rid of the flat sole boat shoes, use quality insoles, buy good quality shoes up front. Some things take longer to learn!!

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8594920 05/10/22 02:51 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
42 and plantar fasciitis hit big time this Fall; I powered through until about March and couldn't 'stand' it any more. Samurai Insole Ninjas are lifesavers!

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8595108 05/10/22 09:26 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Sheepfeet. Some people swear by them. I may give them a try.

https://sheepfeetoutdoors.com/

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8595143 05/10/22 10:34 PM
D
DannyB Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Lots of great feedback, especially since I learned today that the Podiatrist my doctor referred me to can't see me for nearly two weeks. The foot injury seems to get better daily and from what I've learned on here I may find my solution before the doc visit. I've been kind of ticked about this injury because I've walked 2+ miles per day most days of the week for over thirty years and now I can't---yet.

As far as some of the suggestions, I'm in my fourth pair of Brooks Beast shoes. I've had every shoe brand I can think of. One trip down my hallway in Hoka Ones and they were sent back because of the arch mountain they had. I guess everyone's feet are different. Over all these years I've had every insert I can think of, just not the Super Feet that was suggested. That insole is actually a recommended insole from my Podiatrists website.

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8595150 05/10/22 10:53 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by DannyB
Lots of great feedback, especially since I learned today that the Podiatrist my doctor referred me to can't see me for nearly two weeks. The foot injury seems to get better daily and from what I've learned on here I may find my solution before the doc visit. I've been kind of ticked about this injury because I've walked 2+ miles per day most days of the week for over thirty years and now I can't---yet.

As far as some of the suggestions, I'm in my fourth pair of Brooks Beast shoes. I've had every shoe brand I can think of. One trip down my hallway in Hoka Ones and they were sent back because of the arch mountain they had. I guess everyone's feet are different. Over all these years I've had every insert I can think of, just not the Super Feet that was suggested. That insole is actually a recommended insole from my Podiatrists website.

My podiatrist also recommended Brooks shoes. Stretch your feet every morning before ever leaving your bed. Another thing that can help also is to roll a frozen water bottle under your foot while sitting at your desk. Best of luck.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8595219 05/11/22 12:35 AM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
SAS shoes helped me quite a bit, but you have to try on several different ones before you find the right style...and you can't exchange/return them if they are scuffed up. But they worked.

However, I found Dr Scholls shoes one day on clearance at Kohls. I figured for how cheap they were I'd give them a shot. Worked great and about half the weight of the SAS shoes and less than 1/5 the price (thanks to the clearance).

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: Mickey Moose] #8614984 06/08/22 01:07 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Try Superfeet inserts.

Good ^^^

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
Sheepfeet. Some people swear by them. I may give them a try.

https://sheepfeetoutdoors.com/

Best ^^^

Love my sheep feet

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: Jimbo1] #8614989 06/08/22 01:10 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Originally Posted by DannyB

My podiatrist also recommended Brooks shoes. Stretch your feet every morning before ever leaving your bed. Another thing that can help also is to roll a frozen water bottle under your foot while sitting at your desk. Best of luck.

I switch to altra’s zero drop shoes and a lot of my issues went away

Water bottle trick is a life saver

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8615527 06/08/22 05:03 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Ortho Feet.com

Re: Orthotic Insoles? [Re: DannyB] #8615608 06/08/22 06:43 PM
H
HogBranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
You guys should try "Yoga Toes" for your feet troubles. My wife used them to correct hammer toes and other foot issues with great success. I was so impressed that I got some for my feet and my feet feel better than they ever have. I know, I know, weird girly looking things that seem like they wouldn't do anything.

What they actually do is loosen the tendons/muscles in your foot so that it can move the way it is supposed to. Just be careful when you first start, it is easy to leave them on to long and end up with really sore feet. There are many flavors available on Amazon.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide