Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,487
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks #8610808 06/02/22 03:26 PM
D
Delta Duckman Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
To Texas Duck Hunters,

Over here in SE Louisiana Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks showed up 15 - 20 years ago. They have been thriving here ever since population exploding in the marsh delta and urban areas. During our special September teal season BBWD often fly over passing by and or land in our decoys. I have been trying for several years to get BBWD added to the limit of the special September teal season, maximum 6 ducks that could be made up of teal or BBWD. The Mississippi flyway has not been in favor of letting that change happen, chief reason they are concerned about mottled ducks getting shot and they have not studied the impact such a change could make.

I am fairly certain BBWD are in Texas and if so do you have the same issues I describe above?

Delta Duckman

Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: Delta Duckman] #8610890 06/02/22 04:58 PM
T
TrackQuack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I disagree, it is one of the only ducks we are actually a producing state for. Just because they are around during teal season I do not see as a primary reason to add them to the bag. With the same logic Michigan residents can blast mallards during teal season. I have seen they also tend to have later hatches and have seen pairs with day old ducklings during teal seaon too. They are as dumb as it gets too and can use a little educating before big duck opens.

LA boys going to complain that the teal are shortstopping in all that flooded corn up North now too?

Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: Delta Duckman] #8611229 06/03/22 12:11 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’m all for it as long as I don’t have to use my teal tags on them.

Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: Guy] #8612240 06/04/22 11:58 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Guy
I’m all for it as long as I don’t have to use my teal tags on them.

Well of course not...

In addition to your teal tags you'll have to get Black Belly tags. Duh

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: Delta Duckman] #8624649 06/21/22 12:00 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I wish there was a duck that was as prolific of an urban nester as Canada geese. The resident canadas have exploded in north texas over the last decade.

I hear the BBWTD have done the same in the southern portion of the state. I see a few BBWTD up here in north texas, but not many. It wouldn't bother me if they did and gave us another option during early teal, as BWT in north texas are often very hit and miss.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: TrackQuack] #8631367 06/29/22 11:29 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TrackQuack
I disagree, it is one of the only ducks we are actually a producing state for. Just because they are around during teal season I do not see as a primary reason to add them to the bag. With the same logic Michigan residents can blast mallards during teal season. I have seen they also tend to have later hatches and have seen pairs with day old ducklings during teal seaon too. They are as dumb as it gets too and can use a little educating before big duck opens.

I would love to be able to shoot them during teal season but these are all great points for not allowing us to shoot them during early teal. If they were truly resident birds like the geese you see all over North Texas I bet we would have been allowed to shoot them years ago during early teal.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: Delta Duckman] #8631423 06/30/22 12:29 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I was aware Louisiana had tried to get usfws to add whistling ducks to early teal season going back several years and get told there will never be additional species allowed, yet Florida, Kentucky, and Tennessee are allowed the take of two wood ducks a day during 5 days of early teal season so that is not necessarily true. I do think I remember reading that usfws has told those states they will have to give up the wood duck harvest if they want to extend their short teal season. If true, I don't know the reasoning behind that.

Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: Sniper John] #8632927 07/02/22 02:39 AM
D
Delta Duckman Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Sniper Joe,

You are correct stating Louisiana did try to add BBWD to the September teal season a couple of years ago and the request was rejected. Over the last few years I have been told as you state IF BBWD were ever to be considered again the September teal season would go from 15 days we have now to 9. It seems to be a bargaining chip of some sort I have no idea why it is used. It seems to be the tactic USFWS, fly way commission members use. I don't want the teal season shortened. I like the 15 day season and we have had success hunting teal the last few years.

Here is a question. If BBWD were added to the teal season limit as any combination up to 6 ducks, then it would be inevitable less teal would be harvested. It seems to me everyone up and down the flyway would like that scenario.

I am focusing efforts for now on trying to have a special BBWD season only between March and August. Again, BBWD are thriving here almost a nuisance in some areas. We should be allowed to hunt them when they are most abundant here not waiting until the big duck season when most have migrated away from south Louisiana.

Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: Delta Duckman] #8632941 07/02/22 02:51 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Delta Duckman
Sniper Joe,

You are correct stating Louisiana did try to add BBWD to the September teal season a couple of years ago and the request was rejected. Over the last few years I have been told as you state IF BBWD were ever to be considered again the September teal season would go from 15 days we have now to 9. It seems to be a bargaining chip of some sort I have no idea why it is used. It seems to be the tactic USFWS, fly way commission members use. I don't want the teal season shortened. I like the 15 day season and we have had success hunting teal the last few years.

Here is a question. If BBWD were added to the teal season limit as any combination up to 6 ducks, then it would be inevitable less teal would be harvested. It seems to me everyone up and down the flyway would like that scenario.

I am focusing efforts for now on trying to have a special BBWD season only between March and August. Again, BBWD are thriving here almost a nuisance in some areas. We should be allowed to hunt them when they are most abundant here not waiting until the big duck season when most have migrated away from south Louisiana.

A duck season between March and August? I dont see anyway they will let that happen, thats during breeding and nesting season.

I have heard the reason texas can not add wood ducks to early teal season, like some other states do, is because we are further south and wood ducks are still nesting in September. I would expect the same answer for BBWD.

Last edited by 2flyfish4; 07/02/22 02:51 AM.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: 2flyfish4] #8633205 07/02/22 05:26 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
Originally Posted by Delta Duckman
Sniper Joe,

A duck season between March and August? I dont see anyway they will let that happen, thats during breeding and nesting season.

I have heard the reason texas can not add wood ducks to early teal season, like some other states do, is because we are further south and wood ducks are still nesting in September. I would expect the same answer for BBWD.

Because we’re further south? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure Florida is further south as a whole. They shoot woodies during teal season…

Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: Delta Duckman] #8633281 07/02/22 07:24 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Re: September Teal Season - Black Bellied Whistling Tree Ducks [Re: Delta Duckman] #8634592 07/05/22 03:39 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Plenty of ducks to harvest during regular season if you do the work on public, and work the land on private during off season. I have been pumping last few weeks to prepare for late moist soil drawdown. March drawdown has produced tons of millet.

BWT is always hit or miss- like Dove in N Tx.

Good luck to all

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide