Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mesquite control #8590570 05/04/22 01:30 AM
L
LtizzleMcTiz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Looking at buying a field sprayer to spray mesquites at my place. How many gallons /sprayer size should I buy and how many mid size plants can I expect to cover based on the gallons/size of the sprayer?

Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8590680 05/04/22 10:41 AM
A
angus1956 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A
How big is your place
do you have a tractor, SXS or 4 wheeler
How thick are the mesquite trees

You should be able to get by with a 25 gallon unit.
I spray Remedy to control mine.

Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8590903 05/04/22 03:54 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Yeah, I have a 25 gallon sprayer, but have found it much easier just to use my backpack sprayer on mesquite. I can’t get as close with the 25 gallon on Mule or tractor, so end up taking much more time to do same area. Using 3 gal mix of Remedy and diesel, I can spray an acre or so in an hour or two. I also get a better kill cuz I am more focused.

I have noticed this year that I am getting some regrowth this in areas that were cleared last year, but it is easy to get to them now and 3 gallons will knock out several acres of regrowth. It is an ongoing battle.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8590929 05/04/22 04:22 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
There ain’t no way a 3 gallon sprayer would work for me; way too small. But if it’s 5 acres with 10 bushes, that’s fine.

Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8590944 05/04/22 04:36 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Try Remedy and Reclaim mixed with water and dish soap. I got the same kill as with Remedy and diesel, it was cheaper and and a plus not using high dollar diesel. I use a 25 gallon sprayer in the back of my Mule. Been doing this for many years and it works great.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Mesquite control [Re: Stompy] #8590951 05/04/22 04:49 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stompy
Try Remedy and Reclaim mixed with water and dish soap. I got the same kill as with Remedy and diesel, it was cheaper and and a plus not using high dollar diesel. I use a 25 gallon sprayer in the back of my Mule. Been doing this for many years and it works great.

Thanks for the suggestion, but do you mean "Remedy OR Reclaim"? Surely not both?

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Mesquite control [Re: Creekrunner] #8590956 05/04/22 04:59 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Thanks for the suggestion, but do you mean "Remedy OR Reclaim"? Surely not both?

Yes, mix both together. I believe it's 2oz of each per gallon of water but I'll have to check. I use that and picloram for cactus and Roundup for weeds so I don't remember off the top of my head the different mix ratios for each. They sorta run together. I'll check the next time I go into my shop. Also about 8oz of dish soap for 25 gallons.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Re: Mesquite control [Re: Stompy] #8590972 05/04/22 05:30 PM
C
cullbuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C

Yes, mix both together. I believe it's 2oz of each per gallon of water but I'll have to check. I use that and picloram for cactus and Roundup for weeds so I don't remember off the top of my head the different mix ratios for each. They sorta run together. I'll check the next time I go into my shop. Also about 8oz of dish soap for 25 gallons.

I use this mix at a rate of 0.8 oz of each/gal water or equates to ~2.5 oz, of each/3 gal. water and I used "Induce" surfactant. This worked good foliar applicated to small mesquite. I use the remedy/diesel sprayed on the bases/trunks of bigger mesquite.

Re: Mesquite control [Re: cullbuck] #8590975 05/04/22 05:33 PM
C
cullbuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted by cullbuck

I use this mix at a rate of 0.8 oz of each/gal water or equates to ~2.5 oz, of each/3 gal. water and I used "Induce" surfactant. This worked good foliar applicated to small mesquite. I use the remedy/diesel sprayed on the bases/trunks of bigger mesquite.

I was using the generic formulation of Reclaim and I think it is called Pyramid if I remember correctly.

Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8591029 05/04/22 07:15 PM
C
ctonsmitty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Here is a tip:

add a few drops blue food coloring to the tank if you spray with a hand wand, this way you don't spray the same bushes/trees over and over

Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8591034 05/04/22 07:17 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I use 15oz of each for 25 gallons, plus 6-8oz of dish soap for surfactant.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Re: Mesquite control [Re: angus1956] #8592164 05/06/22 01:02 AM
L
LtizzleMcTiz Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
I’m just looking to spot spray. It’s about 240 acres but not thick mesquites just small bushes and sprout ups.

Re: Mesquite control [Re: ctonsmitty] #8592190 05/06/22 01:49 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by ctonsmitty
Here is a tip:

add a few drops blue food coloring to the tank if you spray with a hand wand, this way you don't spray the same bushes/trees over and over

That's a good tip. Thanks.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8592247 05/06/22 04:01 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Power pellets work pretty well.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8606523 05/27/22 06:17 PM
JM Ranch Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Sendero is newer chemical from Dow for leaf spraying. Takes the place of the reclaim/remedy mix, as it requires no chemical mixing and is supposed to have a higher kill rate. Mixes with water. Around $170/gallon but makes around 100 gallons of spray. Recommend use of seed oil or surfactant to help stick to leaves. Can only be sprayed at correct times of year (late spring early summer). Dye also helps.

Remedy and diesel for basal spraying can be done year round. Backpack is the way to go. I use less Remedy than recommended and still get great results.

Re: Mesquite control [Re: JM Ranch] #8606603 05/27/22 08:36 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by JM Ranch
Sendero is newer chemical from Dow for leaf spraying. Takes the place of the reclaim/remedy mix, as it requires no chemical mixing and is supposed to have a higher kill rate. Mixes with water. Around $170/gallon but makes around 100 gallons of spray. Recommend use of seed oil or surfactant to help stick to leaves. Can only be sprayed at correct times of year (late spring early summer). Dye also helps.

Remedy and diesel for basal spraying can be done year round. Backpack is the way to go. I use less Remedy than recommended and still get great results.

Sendero is the Remedy and Reclaim already mixed. They charge you a lot of extra money for mixing it. Save yourself some money and buy them separate and mix them yourself. I just bought a gallon of Remedy and Reclaim for $206, that's two gallons total.

Last edited by Stompy; 05/27/22 08:39 PM.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8606896 05/28/22 03:43 AM
O
outnumbered Offline
Tracker
Tracker
O
we use sendero when using airplanes but it has a pretty tight window for good success for spot spot spray we mix 1 part remedy to 4 parts diesel and just spray bottom 12 inches of trunk and can apply any time with great success just time consuming

Re: Mesquite control [Re: Stompy] #8609119 05/31/22 02:29 PM
JM Ranch Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Sendero is not technically the same as a mix of Reclaim and Remedy. Sendero is a mix of Aminopyralid 23.4% and Clopyralid (Reclaim) 5.8%. Remedy is Triclopyr, not Aminopyralid. Dow/Corteva claims 17% better kill rates after 2 years with Sendero vs R&R. There is no doubt mixing Reclaim and Remedy as you do will be successful, as that was the "go to" Brushbusters standard for years, but that mixture is not the same as Sendero.

Aminopyralid (Milestone) is $355/gallon. This price difference of $355 for Aminopyralid and $75 for Remedy/Triclopyr would also show that they are not the same chemical.

To your point about cost difference: 2 gallons of Sendero will cost around $340. 1 gallon of Remedy and one gallon of Reclaim (Sonara) will cost around $230. Both methods yield 200 gallons of spray. So, arguably $110 more or so per 200 gallons for an alleged 17% better kill. 17% of mesquites sprayed with 200 gallons of spray does not seem inconsequential.

Sendero works mainly on mesquite and locust. R&R will kill more plant species, which could be an advantage.

Re: Mesquite control [Re: JM Ranch] #8609181 05/31/22 03:56 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by JM Ranch
Sendero is not technically the same as a mix of Reclaim and Remedy. Sendero is a mix of Aminopyralid 23.4% and Clopyralid (Reclaim) 5.8%. Remedy is Triclopyr, not Aminopyralid. Dow/Corteva claims 17% better kill rates after 2 years with Sendero vs R&R. There is no doubt mixing Reclaim and Remedy as you do will be successful, as that was the "go to" Brushbusters standard for years, but that mixture is not the same as Sendero.

Aminopyralid (Milestone) is $355/gallon. This price difference of $355 for Aminopyralid and $75 for Remedy/Triclopyr would also show that they are not the same chemical.

To your point about cost difference: 2 gallons of Sendero will cost around $340. 1 gallon of Remedy and one gallon of Reclaim (Sonara) will cost around $230. Both methods yield 200 gallons of spray. So, arguably $110 more or so per 200 gallons for an alleged 17% better kill. 17% of mesquites sprayed with 200 gallons of spray does not seem inconsequential.

Sendero works mainly on mesquite and locust. R&R will kill more plant species, which could be an advantage.

I've used both, and I didn't get a 17% better kill. Been spraying mesquites every year for 24 years and have tried it all. Mixing R&R gets the best kill at the best price. Aminopyralid is in the same family as Triclopyr and is a broadleaf herbicide.
But you are correct, both will do the job, I just like to save money where I can.

Last edited by Stompy; 05/31/22 04:09 PM.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8871620 06/21/23 05:33 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
We have read these comments and have a few more questions that I hope some experts on here can help us.
We have a new hunting place and it has a lot of mesquite trees but they are not real big in general only about 6' tall
but they are thick in several places. We were planning on getting a person who has a tree mulcher that says he can
knock those mesquites down and make us some shooting and travel lanes on the place. We were going to get some R&R and
follow behind him as he mulches and try to spray the small stumps etc.. We were told that you need to spray them immediately
and that if you don't the cut trees develop a layer over the exposed trunk areas and the spray is not effective.
Do you guys know if this is true and any comments about our plans, will this work and be effective, etc?
Any other suggestions?

As always we appreciate you all for your time in providing us some great knowledge and experience you all have.
Many thanks

Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8871634 06/21/23 06:04 PM
O
OneK Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
My experience goes all the way back to 2,4-5T. I've tried every combination of chemical out there for mesquites including some not labeled and so far Invora has been light years ahead of the others. The Sun, moon and stars don't have to align perfectly for it to work plus it has soil activity. By far the best I've ever used.

Re: Mesquite control [Re: B_Man] #8871739 06/21/23 09:33 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by B_Man
We have read these comments and have a few more questions that I hope some experts on here can help us.
We have a new hunting place and it has a lot of mesquite trees but they are not real big in general only about 6' tall
but they are thick in several places. We were planning on getting a person who has a tree mulcher that says he can
knock those mesquites down and make us some shooting and travel lanes on the place. We were going to get some R&R and
follow behind him as he mulches and try to spray the small stumps etc.. We were told that you need to spray them immediately
and that if you don't the cut trees develop a layer over the exposed trunk areas and the spray is not effective.
Do you guys know if this is true and any comments about our plans, will this work and be effective, etc?
Any other suggestions?

I did the reverse and sprayed first, let the trees die, then had them mulched and/or knocked over for burn piles. I have done three pastures this way and in process with a 4th.

If you've seen how the forestry mulcher leaves the debris, I think it would be very hard to cover much land trying to figure out which are the stumps, and which debris is just mulch. On areas where I had live mesquite trees mixed in with those I sprayed, I just waited on the regrowth and sprayed that. Careful though, if you do not stay on top of them, they come back more as bushes than trees.

I have heard that it is important to spray soon after cutting or knocking over. When clearing trails with chain saw, I keep a small bottle of remedy with me and immediately spray the stump...so far, works pretty well.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8883630 07/17/23 01:58 AM
shooterwalter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Yes stumps must be sprayed quickly after mulching. The mulching I have seen leaves a mine field of scattered thorns bad for rubber tired rigs. When I forested mulched and ask county ag man what was next he said let hem grow back for two years and then spray all leaves to kill the root maybe. Note I just had a man with track skid steer with a bucket with a jaw. He could pull up mesquites root and all and then machine stack for burn pile. I liked the process a lot.

www.poetryshootingclub.com

Gun Dog Training, Flighty Quail

Guided/Unguided Quail Hunting

Group Events/Parties

700 Yard Range

CLOSE TO DALLAS

Take a youth shooting

214-728-2755

By appointment always and you shoot in private.

Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8884825 07/18/23 11:37 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
thanks guys for the comments;

Shooter- that process sounds better because you probably don't get so many nasty thorns that way.
How much could they get done in a day?
Cost per hour?
We have a place in Southwest Oklahoma - may need to find a guy in my area and check into that way you describe.

Re: Mesquite control [Re: LtizzleMcTiz] #8889615 07/27/23 12:53 AM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Fellow THF Members-
I need to try and get details about the mixtures mentioned above i.e. Remedy, Reclaim and Diesel
because we are going to take down some of the mesquite we have to create shooting lanes and open areas for
hunting vehicles and maybe a small hunting cabin. Hunting season will be here soon.

From feedback in the thread above this is what I understand (feel free to correct me and provide what I am missing):

I gallon sprayer - .8 oz of Remedy , .8 oz of Reclaim. (those are point 8 ounces)
How much diesel and how much water to complete this mixture? ( I can double it for a 2 gallon sprayer etc. )

thanks for your help.

Also saw where a person can buy Remedy and Remedy Ultra - the ingredients below
Interesting the Ultra has a tiny amount of active ingredient. Would have thought it would have more.

Remedy Ultra :
Active Ingredient:
Triclopyr: 2-[(3,5,6-trichloro-2-pyridinyl)oxy]
acetic acid, butoxyethyl ester ................................................... 60.45%

Remedy :
Active Ingredient:
triclopyr, butoxyethyl ester: ((3,5,6-trichloro-2-
pyridinyl)oxy)acetic acid, 2-butoxyethyl ester ............................61.6%

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide