Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dogs & liability #8606529 05/27/22 06:20 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
According to the Insurance Information Institute, Dog bites and other dog related injuries accounted for in excess of 1/3 of all personal liability claims in 2021. Cali leads the way with the most incidents and has the highest average cost per claim at nearly $60,000 - almost 50% above the nationwide average. I guess they have badder dogs there.

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606532 05/27/22 06:23 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
We have a policy for our 113 lb.mutt just in case.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stub; 05/27/22 06:24 PM.

texas flag

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606545 05/27/22 06:47 PM
D
DukeCigars Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
D
A note my trainer told me last year - if you have “beware of dog” on your fence and your dog bites someone who is on your property, they can sue you (and will win) because the court system sees that sign as you knowing your dog is aggressive. Better to not have signs and let whatever happens, happen…

Car guy. Serial entrepreneur. Terrible golfer.
Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606550 05/27/22 07:03 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I got bit by a dog real bad about 10 years ago. It hit me in the chest and sunk his teeth all the way in. The owner paid for me a new shirt, but I never sued him. Had I known it was going to itch and burn that bad… and for about a year, I would have. It really sucked

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606554 05/27/22 07:12 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
When we have visitors, I make sure my mutts are in their kennels.

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606852 05/28/22 02:24 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Wouldn't have a mean/aggressive dog and don't understand people that do. If a dog charges me I'll fight that SOB.

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Greg] #8606856 05/28/22 02:40 AM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Greg
I got bit by a dog real bad about 10 years ago. It hit me in the chest and sunk his teeth all the way in. The owner paid for me a new shirt, but I never sued him. Had I known it was going to itch and burn that bad… and for about a year, I would have. It really sucked

My ex walked by a deck at a friend's house. There was a Great Dane under the deck with pups. It almost bit one her tits off. The docs at the ER reattached it. They did a good job. Scars were only visible on the under boob.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606900 05/28/22 03:56 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just buy a lab and socialize it with people and other dogs.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606911 05/28/22 04:27 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
We don't let our kids go to houses with pits bulls or pit mixes, unless the parents agree to keep them in a cage the whole time. I'm fine if you wanna take the chance of owning a dog that may eat your own kids face off, but I'm not taking chances with my kids.

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606913 05/28/22 04:33 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Like a relator I see alot of houses. Retrievers Im not worried about. Pits and their level of pissed off is different. Typically run down houses and the owner encourages it. I have never been bit knock on wood

[Linked Image]
Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606937 05/28/22 11:14 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I get to lots of farm & ranch and otherwise rural properties. Dogs on larger acreage tracts are usually not an issue . Go to some Ricky Bobby's small acreage tract and you might encounter something you gotta deal with. I maintain the upper hand and have always gotten the best of the situation. Not afraid of grabbing a stick. Dogs tend to keep away from someone willing to make them eat a boot. If you can get close enough to them, their paws are extremely tender and not used to be squeezed. They can' take it and don't have the strength in their legs to pull away. IF you can get under their chin, it's over. It's been a long times since I had to go past the stick or kicking, a long time.

Plain & simple, I don't deal with pits. They aren't worth it.

I have seen the guy referenced above, the one who thinks it is laughable when his dog chases you. He is worse than the dog and ain't worth it.

Pro tip - beware of the quiet dog.

Pro tip II - never run from a dog, they will chase you.

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Stump_jumper] #8606938 05/28/22 11:15 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Originally Posted by Greg

My ex walked by a deck at a friend's house. There was a Great Dane under the deck with pups. It almost bit one her tits off. The docs at the ER reattached it. They did a good job. Scars were only visible on the under boob.

Probably about 20 years ago I went over to my sisters on a Sunday morning to???. They had an aggressive fairly big dog that had bitten my younger brother before.
Long story short the dog got loose in the house and immediately lunged and bit me in the chest, I grabbed it by the ears kicked it in the belly and swung it into a nearby wall.

There was a staring standoff between me and the dog for a brief moment until my sister put him outside.
Kind of like Greg, where its teeth sunk in I had scar tissue for quite a while that was sore and itched.

texas flag

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606950 05/28/22 11:59 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This one lost all her teeth. [Linked Image]

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8606963 05/28/22 12:30 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Our neighbors are oblivious. For 20 years it has been about what their grown, wannabe badazz son and his daughter wanted. Then "Mister Macho" committed suicide by cop in Boerne a few months ago. 3 boxer/rottweiler mixes that the female would bark at the moon until all hours. Now a German Shepard and a Rottweiler, and 3 other little yappy dogs that the son wanted. The daughter wanted the Shepard, but she's a little busy, first, staring at her phone when she was awake and now, being 16 and having a newborn. The Shepard is mad at the world barking for hours many mornings. They feed 'em, but have never had the follow through to train them or pay them any real attention. I made friends with the Shepard, then I tried with the Rottweiler, who is actually pretty gentle, but the Shepard is too jealous. They've gotten out and terrorized some other nearby neighbors. On this end of the street, we're all supposed to adapt to this couple's poor life decisions, the ol' "poor, pitiful, me" act. We keep our grandchildren away from that fence. If anything happens, I'm shooting a dog. We're trying to find a place to move in this insane market.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Dogs & liability [Re: angus1956] #8606991 05/28/22 01:16 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by angus1956
Wouldn't have a mean/aggressive dog and don't understand people that do. If a dog charges me I'll fight that SOB.

X2
As a kid I was scared of big dogs, now I’m scared for my kids. Never had one that wanted to chance it bad enough I guess.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Dogs & liability [Re: bill oxner] #8606993 05/28/22 01:19 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner
This one lost all her teeth. [Linked Image]

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8607052 05/28/22 03:13 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
about 10 years ago, my back alley neighbor who liked to talk about his tour of duty days and show off his glock under shirt had a mixed breed that he openly said he got for home protection for his wife and girls since he traveled alot. Problem was he would open his garage door and let dog out which would hit the alley running. One morning the dog scared my daughter as she opened garage to leave for school. A couple days later as I opened garage to take out trash the dog immediately darted in to my garage at me. It got a swift kick in the head. I went back inside, retrieved my weapon and came back in garage. Dog owner was standing in alley with his dog. I told him under no uncertain terms that if that dog ever runs at my family or me again on my property as we fear attack and assume dog is coming to bite, it will be DRT. I then called police with him standing beside me and asked to increase patrol and animial control patrols for our neighborhood because we have a known aggressive dog that owner routinely lets out without leash.I asked them to send an office by to take report. They asked me to come in a file report which I did. A few days later I ran into that neighbor at grocery store parking lot. He told me he got rid of that dog because didn't want to have to explain to wife and kids when I shoot it as he figured that would eventually be the outcome. Not long afterwards he moved.

Fast forward to present day. Have two different neighbors that let their dogs out everyday without leash. One neighbor uses remote bark collars of some sort but they allow dogs to run onto my property and have had them run up into my garage while i've been in it working. I told them both same warning that I am fearful of their dogs running up at me or my wife on my property, they know I am responsible gun owner, told them I have called police and animal control about their dogs and told them I will protect my and my wife's well being and for them to keep their dog's from chitting in my yard, I have evidence ring proof. They wanted to discuss, blah blah blah and I told them that I have been told what to expect, they are on notice, I filed a police report and an animal control notice report. One of the neighbors I notice that uses the shock colars, I see now has them I guess shocked as they walk by my house because the dogs are close to the owner but not on a leash. I have also seen them come into my yard and pick up poop but not always. I know it's just poop but.... Other neighbors have also complained and I've suggested they call police and animal control. One of my neighbors asked my position and I simply said I will protect myself and family if faced with fear and injury on my property. Yes, I live in an upscale neighborhood. There are limits to being neighborly. Police have increased patrols and have spoken with my neighbors but they daily still let dogs run free. I sure hope I am not put in a situation to defend.

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8607137 05/28/22 05:59 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I’ve killed a few dogs, not mad at my decision, more passed at the owners for letting it happen

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Stub] #8607259 05/28/22 10:56 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Stub
We have a policy for our 113 lb.mutt just in case.

[Linked Image]

That's one hell of a water bowl eeks333

[Linked Image]
Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8607374 05/29/22 01:53 AM
nebo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I really love dogs but I keep mine at home. I have 2 old labs that will bite. Panhandle breed for hunting geese. I keep them home. The new people who move to the country and bring dogs, turn them loose, wonder why they don't come home. If they come my way ,I send them home the first time. When they come by chasing a deer, usually with their friends, I send them DRT. People need to take responsibility for their dogs.

Mayor of Nebo , Texas this week
Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8607412 05/29/22 02:57 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Go ahead, come in my yard

You might just get licked to death by this monster

[Linked Image]

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8607464 05/29/22 04:46 AM
S
Shotgun Willie Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Had to have a long talk with my vet about this with my last rescue GSD. He said the same thing about signs on the fence and such. Said to put a name tag on his collar and that was it, because a rabies tag could be traced back to him and he'd have to report the dog as dangerous if something happened. Without the tag I could deny prior knowledge of aggression.

That dog barely tolerated my family and friends, and hated strangers, but would follow me through hell and bite the devil's red arse if I asked it of him. It finally got to the point that he got plain mean, so I had to put him down. He just couldn't get past his past.

Current dog goes with me everywhere, including going into Tractor Supply and Lowe's. I'll see to it that he never has the distrust the last one did.

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8607470 05/29/22 06:07 AM
R
Remo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
They are over-built and wired for combat. Bite like a vice grip. It's like having a pet tiger in my opinion. Insurance companies agree.
We've all had run-ins. Had a big pit start chasing me on my bike- never barked but bolted off after me sneakily like a cat on a bird. I slammed on the brakes and got off to put the bike between us. It just paced circles around like a shark, calmly trying to work out the bike-blocking problem. If it really wanted me, I would've been in real trouble. He finally got bored after a few minutes and wandered off. Learned my lesson about protection.
*Problem with Pitts is that one day when they flip the switch from 100% loving and cowardly to 100% pulling throats out, there's not a lot most people can do to with hands and feet to hold them off.
*I wonder why they don't use Pitts for K9 jobs- possibly the loyalty and killer instinct issues.

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Buzzsaw] #8607493 05/29/22 11:57 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Go ahead, come in my yard

You might just get licked to death by this monster

[Linked Image]

Only dog I've ever owned. Lost our last one earlier this year was almost 13, i miss her alot. Turned 66 this month gotta think real hard if we'll get another one.

Re: Dogs & liability [Re: Hudbone] #8607532 05/29/22 12:58 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’ve got two. They are both people lovers. If someone that didn’t belong tried to force their way into my home they would probably both bite. Never trust a man that doesn’t like dogs.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide