Re: Shooting near road clarification [Re: scot] #8576273 04/11/22 06:51 PM
S
scot Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
S
You provide a good argument NTXtrapper.

Would your opinion change if you saw game from the road but then went through a gate on the property to engage, or because you scouted from the road you still feel you are breaking the intent of the law?

Re: Shooting near road clarification [Re: 65x55] #8576297 04/11/22 07:43 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by 65x55
Based on my utility mapping work in various states including Texas sometimes roads are easement/ROWs held by the government with private land metes and bounds going to the centerline, other places the road is its own parcel owned by the government. The physical location of the road will be within that parcel (hopefully), but that parcel will likely extend to include some shoulder/ditches/culverts/etc. It's hard to make generalizations with all these different possibilities. Fences can be well within someone's private land which makes sense since you'd want to be able to maintain it from both sides but that's just another variable adding to the confusion.

EXACT question I have considered, but I just do not feel like testing the limits. The metes and bounds for a property I hunt is "to and along the centerline of County Road XXX." I know the county road is prescriptive right of way; there is no document assigning the width of the county road or the area that the county maintains. It would be a legal battle not worth my effort to go to court versus paying a fine to say the county road ends at the bar ditch, or pavement, or fence.

Having the knowledge of something doesn't necessarily equate to wisdom when pushing the envelope of legality in my world.

Re: Shooting near road clarification [Re: scot] #8576304 04/11/22 07:57 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by scot
You provide a good argument NTXtrapper.

Would your opinion change if you saw game from the road but then went through a gate on the property to engage, or because you scouted from the road you still feel you are breaking the intent of the law?

Yes, my opinion would change completely. That sounds like what a safe and responsible hunter would do. However, creeping down a county road at night while running a spotlight or thermal, with a loaded rifle accessible to the occupants, would probably not work out too well though if stopped the GW.

Re: Shooting near road clarification [Re: scot] #8576475 04/12/22 01:18 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I really do not think this rule is targeting private landowners. A landowner can stand a foot inside of their property and hunt all day long legally and safely. Hopping the fence and being inside of your property by twenty feet or opening the gate and being twenty feet inside is no different. This is not a matter of the location of a landowner when he sees an animal.
Having a gun in a truck on a roadway is what we do. I carry a loaded gun all day long on public roads. So, this is not a matter of the safety of a loaded weapon on a road.
I really think this is geared toward poachers that would attempt to take animals from a road or shoot onto private or public land and take animals illegally.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Shooting near road clarification [Re: Wool E. Booger] #8576775 04/12/22 03:15 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Wool E. Booger
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Texas Parks and Wildlife Code

Sec. 62.0031

Hunting From Public Road or Right-of-way Prohibited

Except as provided by Subsections (b) and (c), a person may not hunt a wild animal or bird when the person is on a public road or right-of-way.

I have always interpreted it as if I was driving down or walking down a public road with a firearm, I see an
animal on my ranch from the public road and go jump the fence so I'm standing on my place before taking the shot, I was hunting from the public road. If you want to know their interpretation of the statute, call your local game warden.

As long as you are on your property when you take the shot, I don’t see what the issue would be. They would have to prove you saw the hog from the road and not your property. Kinda hard to prove that I would think.

It doesn't matter if you spotted the animal from the public roadway or not. What matters is that you are standing on your property and not a state right of way when you pull the trigger.
That said, most fences on these public road ways are set back a foot or two. My front fence is only set back about 12" so it'd be pretty hard to be completely on my property if I was using my fence as a rest.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Shooting near road clarification [Re: scot] #8577851 04/13/22 08:03 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
wish I could still jump a fence, the last time I tried, I separated my shoulder

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Shooting near road clarification [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8577867 04/13/22 08:30 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

It doesn't matter if you spotted the animal from the public roadway or not. What matters is that you are standing on your property and not a state right of way when you pull the trigger.
That said, most fences on these public road ways are set back a foot or two. My front fence is only set back about 12" so it'd be pretty hard to be completely on my property if I was using my fence as a rest.

While my fence is set back from the road, I own well into the right of way (ROW). I can be on my property and breaking the law by hunting on my property if I am shooting from the ROW. What I don't know is how far back my fence is set from the ROW at any given point. A couple of places, it would not be a problem. Some would be sketchy.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Shooting near road clarification [Re: scot] #8605347 05/26/22 05:34 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
popcorn

Re: Shooting near road clarification [Re: ntxtrapper] #8605365 05/26/22 10:38 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Texas Parks and Wildlife Code

Sec. 62.0031

Hunting From Public Road or Right-of-way Prohibited

Except as provided by Subsections (b) and (c), a person may not hunt a wild animal or bird when the person is on a public road or right-of-way.

I have always interpreted it as if I was driving down or walking down a public road with a firearm, I see an animal on my ranch from the public road and go jump the fence so I'm standing on my place before taking the shot, I was hunting from the public road. If you want to know their interpretation of the statute, call your local game warden.

I don't see what the violation would be. You have every right to be on the road, with your firearm. Is it your opinion that you were engaged in the act of hunting while on the road, and observed the animal that you ultimately shot after crossing your fence, onto your own property? You would be within the law, and not cited IMO. I am not a LEO, but do know any law has to be enforceable. Under the circumstance you describe, you couldn't even be driving, go through your gate, proceed another 100 yards, get out and shoot the animal, you "hunted" from the road. Walking, driving, 1" or 100", doesn't seem to matter as long as you are on your property. You were not engaged in the act of hunting until you shot, you were just using the road for the same reason anyone uses a public road.

Edit to add: “Hunt” means capture, trap, take, or kill, or an attempt to capture, trap, take, or kill.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 05/26/22 10:55 AM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide