THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Originally Posted by redchevy
Regular unleaded $3.89/gal
Diesel $5.30/gal
If you don’t get a higher % more miles to a gallon than % more diesel costs per gallon than gas your loosing. Who knows what resale will be.

I know, after 38 years of owning them I can say for 100% certainty the diesel will hold it’s value and the gasser will be worth turd soup.If your seriously debating that theory your not so smart. Some of you guys act like this chit hasn’t ever happened before rofl, it’s a cycle and it will happen again and again. Fuel prices get high and a certain group will crap thr pants questioning thr life decisions and wanting to buy a fuel economy truck roflmao It takes all types to make the world go round n round but this group makes me question the maturity of people in this country… Some people seem to walk around with blinders on and never look up to see what’s actually going on..

In 1984 I wasn’t even a glimmer in my mommas eye, but I don’t recall the diesels of that era having anywhere near the presence they do now. Different strokes I guess. I’m not rushing to sell mine because diesel is going up but with prices what they are I probably wouldn’t buy one now. If I needed to tow 25000 lbs sure I’d go diesel all the way but that’s nothing to do with the topic.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: redchevy] #8595268 05/11/22 01:41 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Regular unleaded $3.89/gal
Diesel $5.30/gal
If you don’t get a higher % more miles to a gallon than % more diesel costs per gallon than gas your loosing. Who knows what resale will be.

I know, after 38 years of owning them I can say for 100% certainty the diesel will hold it’s value and the gasser will be worth turd soup.If your seriously debating that theory your not so smart. Some of you guys act like this chit hasn’t ever happened before rofl, it’s a cycle and it will happen again and again. Fuel prices get high and a certain group will crap thr pants questioning thr life decisions and wanting to buy a fuel economy truck roflmao It takes all types to make the world go round n round but this group makes me question the maturity of people in this country… Some people seem to walk around with blinders on and never look up to see what’s actually going on..

In 1984 I wasn’t even a glimmer in my mommas eye, but I don’t recall the diesels of that era having anywhere near the presence they do now. Different strokes I guess. I’m not rushing to sell mine because diesel is going up but with prices what they are I probably wouldn’t buy one now. If I needed to tow 25000 lbs sure I’d go diesel all the way but that’s nothing to do with the topic.

In 1984 diesels didn't have Turbo Chargers, they were more like an alternate fuel vehicle in that era built for economy....and they had real good mileage compared to gas rigs of the day, but man, Nothing worse on the planet than a naturally aspirated diesel in terms of power.. The worst two I've ever been in where both 6.2 Chevy trucks....my daughters tricycle has more power than those turds.

Interesting to note, that the above mentioned was offered in both 1/2 ton and 3/4-1 Ton models, and despite the extreme lack of power, were rated for 23mpg combined and 30 mpg on the Highway....pretty good in that regard.

I had family that were buying the Ford Diesels in the late 80's and early to mid 90's and on 2wd models the best they would get was around 20 mpg IIRC, but they were Turbo Models.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8595476 05/11/22 02:16 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I'm surprised no one has offered a 'light' diesel in the 3/4-tons yet. A 4.5-5L diesel making 325/650 would still move pretty darned well and get even better mileage than the 6.6/6.7s. I know Nissan tried it but they ended up with a dog for some reason.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8595488 05/11/22 02:30 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
There were diesels offered in GM cars in the late ‘70’s-early ‘80’s. Alternative fuel for lead sled cars, when gas hit $1 a gallon.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: 68rustbucket] #8595493 05/11/22 02:38 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
There were diesels offered in GM cars in the late ‘70’s-early ‘80’s. Alternative fuel for lead sled cars, when gas hit $1 a gallon.

They were concerted gas engines and were a spectacular failure.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8595505 05/11/22 03:00 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

They were concerted gas engines and were a spectacular failure.

Yes they were!

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8595546 05/11/22 03:57 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
I'm surprised no one has offered a 'light' diesel in the 3/4-tons yet. A 4.5-5L diesel making 325/650 would still move pretty darned well and get even better mileage than the 6.6/6.7s. I know Nissan tried it but they ended up with a dog for some reason.

I wonder if they put that in a truck besides the Nissan if it would have been a seller?

Wouldn’t be a bad idea, to have a 2nd diesel option, but if it would sell I don’t know. Would be interested if the mileage would justify its existence ?

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8595604 05/11/22 05:05 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I had a 02’ 7.3 liter that was chipped up….it had something like 350 hp and 650 ft. Lbs of torque….at the time it was a fairly stout truck. This truck blows that one out of the water. This one and my 17’ super duty are the only two trucks I’ve owned that I’m perfectly happy with in stock form performance wise. I remember those trucks required a 6” lift to run 35’s too….glad those days are over.

If I do trade out I’m gonna have to add leveling kit, wheels/tires ( I think the AT/4 comes with these items) and front end replacement because bump gates and unprotected front ends don’t mix. I’m the end I might decide it’s too much hassle and keep this truck for another year or two.

Best mileage I’ve got was 22 mpg doing 80 in July headed to Louisiana. But I normally see 18-20mpg on the highway. If I drive it right 20-21 mpg is realistic with 35” tires, level kit and replacement bumpers.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that fuel economy with a truck like that with so much power!

And I had my 7.3 chipped up quite a bit as well and it might have had 50% of what that new Powerstroke is putting out torque wise. It is just amazing to me and if I was going to trade my 2005 duramax off right now I'm pretty certain I'd go with another F250 4x4 CC. Hell, my cousin ordered his in XLT and upgraded a few things and he got it for not much more than a new 1/2 ton cost right now! I believe he told me $64k plus tt&l

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8595685 05/11/22 07:06 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

I had a 02’ 7.3 liter that was chipped up….it had something like 350 hp and 650 ft. Lbs of torque….at the time it was a fairly stout truck. This truck blows that one out of the water. This one and my 17’ super duty are the only two trucks I’ve owned that I’m perfectly happy with in stock form performance wise. I remember those trucks required a 6” lift to run 35’s too….glad those days are over.

If I do trade out I’m gonna have to add leveling kit, wheels/tires ( I think the AT/4 comes with these items) and front end replacement because bump gates and unprotected front ends don’t mix. I’m the end I might decide it’s too much hassle and keep this truck for another year or two.

Best mileage I’ve got was 22 mpg doing 80 in July headed to Louisiana. But I normally see 18-20mpg on the highway. If I drive it right 20-21 mpg is realistic with 35” tires, level kit and replacement bumpers.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that fuel economy with a truck like that with so much power!

And I had my 7.3 chipped up quite a bit as well and it might have had 50% of what that new Powerstroke is putting out torque wise. It is just amazing to me and if I was going to trade my 2005 duramax off right now I'm pretty certain I'd go with another F250 4x4 CC. Hell, my cousin ordered his in XLT and upgraded a few things and he got it for not much more than a new 1/2 ton cost right now! I believe he told me $64k plus tt&l

Decided to keep the F-250 for now and will drive a AT4 to see if I want to order one as a replacement for next year as they are 12 months out. Can’t say I won’t trade to a half ton next go around but too many hassles getting into and equipping a new truck right now when I have one ideally set up in the driveway.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8595731 05/11/22 08:13 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Shows what I know, I didn’t even know they made half ton diesels. hammer

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8596225 05/12/22 12:59 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
I Hooked on to my little 16' lowboy this morning and pulled it into work so I could go pick up by SxS that had maintenance done to it.
I tripped it at the gate and when I got to New Braunfels I checked and it was a little over 35 miles and it read 21.8mpg.

Mine turned 10k miles yesterday and up to now I'd damn impressed with it's performance and would not go back to a gas half ton at this time.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8603992 05/24/22 01:34 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Update….had to go grab my tractor yesterday and haul it a couple hours down the road to clean out a trash pit.

With the loader and box blade the tractor was a little heavier than I was comfortable putting on my 16” pipe trailer, so I borrowed a buddies 20’ dovetail car hauler.

Tractor and trailer was right around 10k give or take a few hundred lbs and man it was nice hauling it down I-10 at 75 mph.

Sure would have hated to do it with a 1/2 ton

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8604024 05/24/22 02:04 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Update….had to go grab my tractor yesterday and haul it a couple hours down the road to clean out a trash pit.

With the loader and box blade the tractor was a little heavier than I was comfortable putting on my 16” pipe trailer, so I borrowed a buddies 20’ dovetail car hauler.

Tractor and trailer was right around 10k give or take a few hundred lbs and man it was nice hauling it down I-10 at 75 mph.

LOL

I agree.
though they have the 3.0l rated for over 13k lbs I think you'd have to have few head worms to think that is what should be putting behind it.

Kinda like they tell people you can put a 15' batwing behind a 60hp tractor! Yeah, you can damn sure pull that shredder but you damn sure aren't getting out of 1st or 2nd in low range if you want to cut thick stuff with it. lmao

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8604029 05/24/22 02:08 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

LOL

I agree.
though they have the 3.0l rated for over 13k lbs I think you'd have to have few head worms to think that is what should be putting behind it.

Kinda like they tell people you can put a 15' batwing behind a 60hp tractor! Yeah, you can damn sure pull that shredder but you damn sure aren't getting out of 1st or 2nd in low range if you want to cut thick stuff with it. lmao

13k lbs maybe in a controlled environment on a completely level surface doing 55 mph…..I was pulling it up and down the hills comming out of Kerrville. Would have thrown a 1/2 ton all over the road.

I towed a bobcat skid loader and trailer once with my old 99’ F-150 with the 5.4. Wouldn’t go much over 45-50 Mph even on pretty flat country. They rig was probably pushing 10k there

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8604090 05/24/22 03:41 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

LOL

I agree.

13k lbs maybe in a controlled environment on a completely level surface doing 55 mph…..I was pulling it up and down the hills comming out of Kerrville. Would have thrown a 1/2 ton all over the road.

I towed a bobcat skid loader and trailer once with my old 99’ F-150 with the 5.4. Wouldn’t go much over 45-50 Mph even on pretty flat country. They rig was probably pushing 10k there

F250 on car haulers not even 13k.

I watch a buddy try to haul a 9klb skid steer w/ a 1/2 ton Chevy and it was all that Chevy could do from a suspension standpoint. I made him trade trucks with me, so he didn’t kill him self

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8604128 05/24/22 04:59 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

LOL

I agree.

F250 on car haulers not even 13k.

I watch a buddy try to haul a 9klb skid steer w/ a 1/2 ton Chevy and it was all that Chevy could do from a suspension standpoint. I made him trade trucks with me, so he didn’t kill him self

Yup

Especially with today's 1/2 tons. The suspension is not nearly what it used to be because they are built for ride and comfort, not loads.
I just put air suspension under mine last week and will update when I go get range cubes later this week. I will put 30 bags again on it and put a little air in the bags and see what it does. I know without it before those 30 bags made my azz cheeks pucker a little on the 50+ mile ride home. lmao

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8604178 05/24/22 06:31 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Good call on the airbags. I added them to my Ram Ecodiesel and love 'em.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: txtrophy85] #8604261 05/24/22 08:29 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
ILBB… be careful with using aftermarket airbags. I’ve been seeing numerous reports of the frame behind the axle folding due to the added stress of the air bags. Not necessarily that the load is overweight for the truck, but the airbags essentially creating a single point of high stress.

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: BigPig] #8604327 05/24/22 10:09 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
ILBB… be careful with using aftermarket airbags. I’ve been seeing numerous reports of the frame behind the axle folding due to the added stress of the air bags. Not necessarily that the load is overweight for the truck, but the airbags essentially creating a single point of high stress.

Makes sense

Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: BigPig] #8604356 05/24/22 10:41 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Was this with frame mounted air bag systems or in the coil systems?

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: Another 1/2 ton diesel thread [Re: Chopped54] #8604766 05/25/22 01:18 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Chopped54

Was this with frame mounted air bag systems or in the coil systems?

That was my question as well.
Mine are inside the spring coils

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide