Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: patriot07] #8601307 05/20/22 04:21 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
What would I have to add to this to load 45 acp?

ebay dillon 550

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: patriot07] #8601390 05/20/22 12:06 PM
S
Saddle Tramp Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
Sent you a PM

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: patriot07] #8602192 05/21/22 12:50 PM
J
jsteve Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
I bought a Lee Breach Lock Pro 4000(from Midway because it was on sale and much cheaper than Titan). Check both Midway and Titan for prices on parts and accessories. I buy from both. I have NEVER liked priming on a progressive, I just don't trust them. With that said, I have added a KMS Squared UFO light kit to my press and it is still too hard to see powder levels in a 38 special case and I HAVE to know. What I do is deprime, resize and flare the mouth first, take them in the house and hand prime using my old RCBS hand prime, then load them back into the case feed, take out my derime/resize die, run it into the powder feed, then next station is a powder cop die, then my seat and crimp die. Been using a seat/crimp die for 35+ years on 44, 38, 9mm and 45 and never had a problem(roll crimp on revolver calibers and taper crimp on autos). That's just the way I do it and everyone has personal preferences.
As far as the press is concerned, this press MUST be aligned dang near perfect and you MUST pay attention to the case feed closely. What the cases slide on is plastic and if you jam a case on it, it will ruin it. Replacing it is no problem once I found a site that shows the easiest way, very simple and neither Titan or Lee shows it, they show a different way that will make you pull your hair out if you have fat fingers and mine aint even fat and I caint afford to lose any more hair! Those bases and all the other parts are cheap and best bought from Titan, Lee if Titan is out of them. Bought from both and both were very fast shipping times(less than 3 days). I bought plenty extras too. One thing on the case feed that no one talks about, if you will twist that return spring one revolution, (caint remember whether CW or CCW(easy to figure out. one way will work, the other way will come off immediately), you will not have a problem with spring becoming disconnected. As far as the Safe Prime, alot of people absolutely hate it, spilled primers and such, IMO they did not align it good enough. I see where a smidge here or there will make someone hate it. I had no problem with it, never missed a primer nor did it spill primers. I loaded over 1000 rounds using it and giving the full auto loading a shot. I just DO NOT like the feel of primer seating on a press(didn't like priming on the Rock Chucker either). This press works for me and the way I reload. It was on sale bigtime and I think Midway actually put the wrong price on it but the honored it. I was looking to load 38 and 9mm with it exclusively and noticed the kit bought as a 38 was $85 cheaper than the sale price of any of the other calibers offered. I double and triple checked. I bought it as a 38 kit and then bought the plate and dies for 9mm. After I ordered and it was confirmed, I went back to the site about 2 hours later and checked, the price was changed to what all the other calibers were that were also on sale(which was $50 off). That is why I have this press.
Now, if I did it all over again, Hornady AP would be my choice over Dillon, (I have my reasons), for a full auto press. But being as I don't like priming on a press, I would go with the Lee Classic Turret and have extra turrets set up and ready to go just like the other guys here have. I will probably do that too but keep what I have to quickly get to the priming stage only.

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
In these verses, there are dire consequences for NOT obeying the gospel. What the world claims as "saved" isn't gonna cut it! Learn what it is, in an eye opening true story, "Muscle and a Shovel", by Michael Shank.
Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: jsteve] #8602718 05/22/22 09:28 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by jsteve
Those bases and all the other parts are cheap and best bought from Titan, Lee if Titan is out of them. Bought from both and both were very fast shipping times(less than 3 days). I bought plenty extras too.
Lee will send you one of nearly any replacement part for free if you pay shipping. Sometimes their shipping is excessive. Titan is across the street from Lee so sometimes it's better to backorder something from Titan. I think they just go across the street once a day to fulfill backorders.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: GasGuzzler] #8603666 05/23/22 09:24 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
I understand. I went the super cheap route for pistol. I got the Lee classic turret. It automatically rotates the turret to the next station on the down-stroke. Empty case goes in, size/decap, re-prime on the down stroke (requires safety prime). Flare and charge (requires auto-drum). Seat. Crimp, repeat. Way faster than my rock chucker, way slower than a true progressive. I have $300 in the set up, maybe a little less. I loaded about 300 rounds yesterday for the first time. I got what I paid for and as much pistol as I shoot, it'll be fine. I would load bulk 223 on it but all my other rifle stuff will remain one at a time on the single stage.

Those are good options as well for a lot less money than a progressive.

And already mentioned.

Does somebody need a hug?

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #8603832 05/24/22 02:40 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
I understand. I went the super cheap route for pistol. I got the Lee classic turret. It automatically rotates the turret to the next station on the down-stroke. Empty case goes in, size/decap, re-prime on the down stroke (requires safety prime). Flare and charge (requires auto-drum). Seat. Crimp, repeat. Way faster than my rock chucker, way slower than a true progressive. I have $300 in the set up, maybe a little less. I loaded about 300 rounds yesterday for the first time. I got what I paid for and as much pistol as I shoot, it'll be fine. I would load bulk 223 on it but all my other rifle stuff will remain one at a time on the single stage.

Those are good options as well for a lot less money than a progressive.

And already mentioned.

Does somebody need a hug?

I do

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: J.G.] #8604654 05/25/22 05:53 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
From what I have read, if you do not buy a Dillon, you will be fighting other brands occasionally. Or they will completely break down, and you're sourcing parts.

"Affordable" and Progressive Press, don't really go into the same sentence. About like affordable race car. They just aren't. Not the ones that work anyway.

Race car is pick two... Fast, reliable and cheap. I think the theory works here as well.

[Linked Image]
Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: patriot07] #8604689 05/25/22 11:40 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Vintage BMX is strong, light, cheap. Pick two. Same concept.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: Bee'z] #8606858 05/28/22 02:43 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 2Beez
From what I have read, if you do not buy a Dillon, you will be fighting other brands occasionally. Or they will completely break down, and you're sourcing parts.

"Affordable" and Progressive Press, don't really go into the same sentence. About like affordable race car. They just aren't. Not the ones that work anyway.

Race car is pick two... Fast, reliable and cheap. I think the theory works here as well.

That stinks

Looks like saddle-tramp has got me a Dillon that will work well for my purposes but shipping is expensive and annoying. If anyone is going from anywhere near Dripping Springs (Austin) to anywhere near eastern Dallas anytime soon, then give me a holler and I'd buy you a 12-pack for dragging a press along with you.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: patriot07] #8606881 05/28/22 03:16 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I can probably make that work. I will be in Austin next Tuesday and would be happy to grab it for you but not sure if I can get to DFW area until Friday the 10th

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: DStroud] #8606895 05/28/22 03:43 AM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by DStroud
I can probably make that work. I will be in Austin next Tuesday and would be happy to grab it for you but not sure if I can get to DFW area until Friday the 10th

I'm in no rush. 12 pack offer is on the table - message me your drink of choice.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: GasGuzzler] #8608711 05/30/22 10:03 PM
B
Blanco Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Interesting ...had not seen that until I followed the link
Looks like a classic cast press with 6 stations.
Neat idea expands what you can do with the classic with some nice upgrades.
One more to add to my stable.

Confidence is going after a whale in a rowboat, and taking the tartar sauce with you!
https://highbrasssports.com

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: patriot07] #8609692 06/01/22 02:13 AM
S
Saddle Tramp Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
S
patriot07,
DStroud has the press and is headed north.

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: Saddle Tramp] #8609702 06/01/22 02:25 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp
patriot07,

Mostly great people on this forum!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: J.G.] #8609848 06/01/22 12:15 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp
patriot07,

Mostly great people on this forum!

Yeah this one worked out well. I trust a THFer way more than UPS or Fedex

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: patriot07] #8612298 06/04/22 01:13 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
My 550 in her new home

[Linked Image]

Re: Affordable Progressive Press [Re: patriot07] #8620461 06/15/22 12:22 AM