Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Hog Book [Re: der Teufel] #8508949 01/20/22 06:09 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by der Teufel
I received a copy of The Hog Book about two weeks ago, and I've been perusing various sections. Overall I'm happy to have bought it.

The first 100+ pages discuss hunting, trapping, and various related things regarding the acquisition of a hog. Having hunted and trapped hogs for over 15 years, I didn't really learn much that was new from that. For someone new to the topic it is a nice collection of info all in one place.

There are quite a few pages, with excellent photography, describing how to cut up a hog. The book shows examples for small and medium hogs, as well as individual discussion on large sows and large boars. I can't emphasize enough the quality of the photographs. Still, although I don't shoot a ton of hogs every year, I have no plans to butcher a complete hog. I don't have the time nor the work space to do that, and the freezer is pretty full with just the leg quarters and back straps I've taken.

For me, although the hunting, trapping, and butchering sections are interesting, the cooking portion is my main interest. Generally most of the recipes are not super complicated. A few use some spices I don't have and don't really want to purchase and inventory for the limited use they'd give me. In other cases, I think I can substitute something. There's a recipe for Wild Boar Suadero (sort of baked and then grilled meat for tacos - my apologies to the author if that's too simplified) which I plan to try. However, the ingredient list includes chipotle powder and guajillo powder. I'll probably use taco seasoning and/or chili powder with maybe a pinch of cumin. If it doesn't turn out to be wonderful, I won't blame the book. On the other hand there's a recipe for Boar Paprikash which is similar to a recipe I already have, but with a few changes/additions. What I've made in the past was good enough that my wife really liked it, but I think Mr. Griffiths' version will offer improvement.

I plan to try curing and smoking a ham soon. The book contains information on that although the essay Dink Dodger posted on this forum seems more detailed so I plan to use his information as well. https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8466972/curing-feral-hams#Post8466972 I saved the web pages to my computer in my Recipes Folder just to make sure I could always find it again.

In conclusion, The Hog Book has what appear to be a very nice collection of recipes for feral hogs and I'm glad I got it.
--

Just so you know, you can get chipotle chili powder at kroger/heb for a couple of bucks. Taco seasoning wont come close. If you wanted too you can also buy dried guajillo chilis at kroger/heb and blend into your own powder. That's what I do. I really love guajillo chili powder in stuff. If you didn't want to do that, I would still use chili powder and leave out the taco seasoning. Just my humble opinion though.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: Thisisbeer] #8508965 01/20/22 06:30 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
I received a copy of The Hog Book about two weeks ago, and I've been perusing various sections. Overall I'm happy to have bought it.

The first 100+ pages discuss hunting, trapping, and various related things regarding the acquisition of a hog. Having hunted and trapped hogs for over 15 years, I didn't really learn much that was new from that. For someone new to the topic it is a nice collection of info all in one place.

There are quite a few pages, with excellent photography, describing how to cut up a hog. The book shows examples for small and medium hogs, as well as individual discussion on large sows and large boars. I can't emphasize enough the quality of the photographs. Still, although I don't shoot a ton of hogs every year, I have no plans to butcher a complete hog. I don't have the time nor the work space to do that, and the freezer is pretty full with just the leg quarters and back straps I've taken.

For me, although the hunting, trapping, and butchering sections are interesting, the cooking portion is my main interest. Generally most of the recipes are not super complicated. A few use some spices I don't have and don't really want to purchase and inventory for the limited use they'd give me. In other cases, I think I can substitute something. There's a recipe for Wild Boar Suadero (sort of baked and then grilled meat for tacos - my apologies to the author if that's too simplified) which I plan to try. However, the ingredient list includes chipotle powder and guajillo powder. I'll probably use taco seasoning and/or chili powder with maybe a pinch of cumin. If it doesn't turn out to be wonderful, I won't blame the book. On the other hand there's a recipe for Boar Paprikash which is similar to a recipe I already have, but with a few changes/additions. What I've made in the past was good enough that my wife really liked it, but I think Mr. Griffiths' version will offer improvement.

I plan to try curing and smoking a ham soon. The book contains information on that although the essay Dink Dodger posted on this forum seems more detailed so I plan to use his information as well. https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8466972/curing-feral-hams#Post8466972 I saved the web pages to my computer in my Recipes Folder just to make sure I could always find it again.

In conclusion, The Hog Book has what appear to be a very nice collection of recipes for feral hogs and I'm glad I got it.
--

Just so you know, you can get chipotle chili powder at kroger/heb for a couple of bucks. Taco seasoning wont come close. If you wanted too you can also buy dried guajillo chilis at kroger/heb and blend into your own powder. That's what I do. I really love guajillo chili powder in stuff. If you didn't want to do that, I would still use chili powder and leave out the taco seasoning. Just my humble opinion though.

agreed

Re: The Hog Book [Re: Thisisbeer] #8509050 01/20/22 08:05 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer

Good to know. I saw the guajillo chilis at HEB recently in a small bag from Fiesta Seasonings, and McCormick had chipotle chili powder for about five bucks for a small jar. The cost isn't really an issue as much as my wife's reluctance to add yet more containers to our already crowded spice cabinet. She will groan, but when I'm cooking it means she doesn't have to and she doesn't mind that. So, I reckon I can find a little more space for a few new spices.

Thanks for the comments.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8509059 01/20/22 08:20 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
If your like me you will find a ton of uses for it. Brings a great dimension to a lot of different foods. I use it in chili, fajita seasoning, burger sauce, chicken thighs, and plenty of others.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: der Teufel] #8512072 01/24/22 03:53 PM
J
Jesse Griffiths Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J

--

Thank you so much for the thoughtful review! I want to take a minute to agree with you also on substitutions. I really think that strict adherence to recipes keeps people from experimenting and developing a more conceptual feel in the kitchen, so your suggestions of spices are pretty spot on. While the pure chile powders will be a little more subtle than chili (with an 'I') powder and taco seasoning (which will contain cumin, oregano and some other spices), you'll get a really flavorful end product and get to try a new technique, hopefully. Others have suggested buying whole guajillos and other dried chiles, which keep very well, have a wide variety of uses and are usually pretty cheap.Thanks again for taking the time and checking out the book.

author of The Turkey Book, The Hog Book and Afield
@thewildbooks.com @daidue.com
Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8513719 01/26/22 02:13 AM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Okay, first attempt at one of the recipes from The Hog Book.

On a driving trip around SE Germany several years ago we stopped in a town and walked around, seeing the sights. For lunch we found a small restaurant on the town square, and sat outside enjoying the nice weather. I ordered Rouladen, and it was one of the best meals I had during the three weeks we were there! When I saw that The Hog Book had a recipe for Rouladen I knew I had to try it, and decided not to wait but to go with it right out of the chute.

I used a back strap from a 160 Lb sow. Here I have it partially frozen to make slicing it into strips easier.

[Linked Image]

At this point I have made the slices and pounded them thinner. Here I'm getting ready to dress them up to be rolled.

[Linked Image]

I'm almost done applying the 'stuffing' and rolling them up. Just one more to go…

[Linked Image]

Okay, the cooking is done. Here they are straight out of the oven. That's our Griswold chicken fryer which we inherited from my wife's mother.

[Linked Image]

The finished product. The red cabbage was also delicious. It wasn't too complicated although in the future I'll probably just make it on special occasions.

[Linked Image]

I had a few ounces of meat fragments left over which I cut up into tiny pieces and mixed in with the sauce. That was the only real change to the recipe.
My wife said I could make this again any time I wanted!

Something that really pleases me about the book are the explanations about how to cook in a fashion that makes the meat tender. In the past I've fixed some things that tasted great but were sometimes pretty tough. This book will most certainly improve the overall quality of my hog cooking efforts.
--

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8514166 01/26/22 05:45 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I buy the dried guajillo chiles and slightly rehydrate them then smoke for a few hours. After the smoking grind them into a nice smoky paprika.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: Wytex] #8514443 01/26/22 09:30 PM
J
Jesse Griffiths Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by Wytex
I buy the dried guajillo chiles and slightly rehydrate them then smoke for a few hours. After the smoking grind them into a nice smoky paprika.

That is a very good idea.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8586897 04/28/22 12:19 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Jesse, just saw that The Hog Book was nominated for a James Beard award. Congratulations! Your book certainly deserves it. You should be really proud of what you've done.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: SherpaPhil] #8587209 04/28/22 03:48 PM
J
Jesse Griffiths Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil
Jesse, just saw that The Hog Book was nominated for a James Beard award. Congratulations! Your book certainly deserves it. You should be really proud of what you've done.

Thank you so much. I'm just happy to see hunting - and especially Texas hog hunting - represented in the culinary and literary world. It is a great honor to be nominated again and I am so thankful to have the support of the hunting community here. We couldn't have done it without the Kickstarter campaign contributors and the folks on here that have bought the book. I am so appreciative.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: SherpaPhil] #8587247 04/28/22 05:05 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Most definitely

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8601510 05/20/22 02:36 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Going to Dai Due tomorrow night with the wife. Will report back

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8601632 05/20/22 05:38 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Jealous! Can't wait to hear how it was.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8601653 05/20/22 05:59 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
'Came close to clicking "Pay" on the $50.00 book. Then saw $15.00 to ship 80 miles. That's off-putting.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The Hog Book [Re: Creekrunner] #8601659 05/20/22 06:08 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
'Came close to clicking "Pay" on the $50.00 book. Then saw $15.00 to ship 80 miles. That's off-putting.

If you went to pick it up yourself, that would be 160 miles round trip. At 18 mpg, that's 8.8 gallons of gas, times 4.15 a gallon = $36.89. 15 bucks looks like a deal!

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8601663 05/20/22 06:10 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Now you have to go and get all logical on me. Amazon Prime has spoiled me.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8601811 05/20/22 09:51 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Yeah, since I live near Austin I thought about dropping by the restaurant and trying to get a copy, but I finally decided it was simpler all around to just pay the shipping.

I wanted the book, and I'm quite happy to have it.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: ETexas Hunter] #8603779 05/24/22 01:08 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ETexas Hunter

So how was it? I'm headed to Austin for work next month and am about to make a reservation.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8608277 05/30/22 11:34 AM
C
Catperch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Oh heck yea, I'm ordering one now

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8610599 06/02/22 04:10 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Jesse, I just finished dinner at Dai Due and everything was phenomenal, but the sauce for the Nilgai filet stole the show. Is there a technique similar to the mulberry red wine tallow sauce in either The Hog Book or Afield? Thanks!

Re: The Hog Book [Re: SherpaPhil] #8610966 06/02/22 06:47 PM
J
Jesse Griffiths Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J

Jesse, I just finished dinner at Dai Due and everything was phenomenal, but the sauce for the Nilgai filet stole the show. Is there a technique similar to the mulberry red wine tallow sauce in either The Hog Book or Afield? Thanks!

Thanks! Chef Janie made that. She cooks onions down in olive oil with some salt and pepper, then adds a bunch of red wine and reduces that. Add mulberries (pretty good crop this year, but short) and then stirred in softened, rendered beef tallow into the cooled mulberry/wine mixture. This is served room temp like butter on the grilled nilgai leg fillet.

Nilgai is so similar to lean beef in a lot of ways that we like to use beef fat with the lean nilgai. We put beef fat in the nilgai burgers out at the Lo Salvaje food truck at the Desert Door Distillery in Driftwood. It's a solid burger if you're ever in the area. Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for the support.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: Jesse Griffiths] #8611033 06/02/22 08:13 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by panKo

Thanks! Chef Janie made that. She cooks onions down in olive oil with some salt and pepper, then adds a bunch of red wine and reduces that. Add mulberries (pretty good crop this year, but short) and then stirred in softened, rendered beef tallow into the cooled mulberry/wine mixture. This is served room temp like butter on the grilled nilgai leg fillet.

Nilgai is so similar to lean beef in a lot of ways that we like to use beef fat with the lean nilgai. We put beef fat in the nilgai burgers out at the Lo Salvaje food truck at the Desert Door Distillery in Driftwood. It's a solid burger if you're ever in the area. Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for the support.

Man, no wonder it tasted so good, thanks!

Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8618558 06/12/22 06:25 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Congratulations to Jesse on winning a James Beard for Hogbook.

Re: The Hog Book [Re: SherpaPhil] #8618567 06/12/22 06:29 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by ETexas Hunter

So how was it? I'm headed to Austin for work next month and am about to make a reservation.

Was amazing. Wife had the ribeye and couldn’t say enough good about it, was probably better than J Carver’s the night before. I had boar confit (awesome) We shared the chicken hearts and nilgai tartare, again both were awesome. Best tartare I’ve ever had.

Last edited by ETexas Hunter; 06/12/22 06:49 PM.
Re: The Hog Book [Re: MeanGreen85] #8618877 06/13/22 12:22 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Winner, winner, James Beard Dinner! Congrats Jesse!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide