Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 102 of 152 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 151 152
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: TxPigKiller] #8598651 05/16/22 12:10 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by TxPigKiller
I'm a big fan of the Lancer smoke colored mags. Very reliable and easy to see how many rounds you have. I embarrassed myself once by grabbing a solid black mag that only had 3 rounds left. I have to admit I've only used them for the 300 Ham'r so I can't testify how they would handle 5.56 if you're seeking dual capability.

+1, the Lancers are the best mags on the market and also the lightest weight

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #8599373 05/17/22 01:37 PM
K
KJUN Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
I'm another one that joined to post to this thread. It took me about a week, but I just finished all 100+pages worth of posts. Whew! Worth it, and I ordered my own 11.3" Wilson barrel, etc. a few days ago. A large part of my decision WAS based on WC excellent customer and product support demonstrated in this thread! Now, just the wait. wink

I will mainly be hunting deer and hogs. I like exit wounds, and I like good blood trails. Basically, I plan for the game that DOES run even on a good shot OR for a potential less-than-perfect-placement shot. "Plan for the worst; hope for the best." I'm a meat hunter, so I don't like "too" much meat damage. The forum chat of wasting shoulder meat made me want to cry....lol. So, I like "enough" but not "too much" damage. You know: MAGIC!

I do have some questions, though.

1. It seems the 150gr Speer Gold Dot started as a recommendation and then faded in popularity. It doesn't seem to be a suggested round now. IS that because it builds up pressure a little faster - or something else?

2. The 150gr Speer BTSP also seems to have dropped a few notches in popularity. Is this because it needs a faster impact velocity for optimum performance or something else? IS the 150gr SST just that much better in most people's opinions?

3. Are most people seeing a similar POI for the 130gr HHC and the 130gr FNHC? (I understand each barrel is unique, but I'm asking on "typical" expectations.) I ordered some HHC with my barrel coming, but I generally like FN rounds for 150yd or less shots. Shrug?

4. Is the 125gr CC punching out decent sized exit wounds without taking a leg with it?

5. I was surprised at the very few references to cast lead projectiles. I remember two: an unidentified 150gr NOE mold and an Accurate mold. Both were nothing-to-brag-about 3MOA loads for those forum users. I don't recall a velocity included, so maybe they were just trying to push them too fast? I've got 16 30-caliber bullet molds, so maybe one (at least) will work and be fairly accurate. At least powder capacity is a little less of an issue since I won't need more than 2000fps to make me very happy - if accurate.

Silly me, but I forgot to include a bullet seat gauge to help me eliminate cast bullets that don't fit (DARN IT, but I'll probably be ordering again after I test out this first barrel!), so is there a good pointer for WHAT to measure to see if a bullet should fit? (I'm not talking COAL - I got that....lol.) Is there a specific maximum "Cartridge Base to Bullet Ogive Length" I should use? Ogive to tip length maximum length constrained by COAL?

Thanks,
KJ

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: KJUN] #8599540 05/17/22 06:50 PM
E
eugenesan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted by KJUN
I'm another one that joined to post to this thread. It took me about a week, but I just finished all 100+pages worth of posts. Whew! Worth it, and I ordered my own 11.3" Wilson barrel, etc. a few days ago. A large part of my decision WAS based on WC excellent customer and product support demonstrated in this thread! Now, just the wait. wink

I will mainly be hunting deer and hogs. I like exit wounds, and I like good blood trails. Basically, I plan for the game that DOES run even on a good shot OR for a potential less-than-perfect-placement shot. "Plan for the worst; hope for the best." I'm a meat hunter, so I don't like "too" much meat damage. The forum chat of wasting shoulder meat made me want to cry....lol. So, I like "enough" but not "too much" damage. You know: MAGIC!

1. It seems the 150gr Speer Gold Dot started as a recommendation and then faded in popularity. It doesn't seem to be a suggested round now. IS that because it builds up pressure a little faster - or something else?

2. The 150gr Speer BTSP also seems to have dropped a few notches in popularity. Is this because it needs a faster impact velocity for optimum performance or something else? IS the 150gr SST just that much better in most people's opinions?

3. Are most people seeing a similar POI for the 130gr HHC and the 130gr FNHC? (I understand each barrel is unique, but I'm asking on "typical" expectations.) I ordered some HHC with my barrel coming, but I generally like FN rounds for 150yd or less shots. Shrug?

4. Is the 125gr CC punching out decent sized exit wounds without taking a leg with it?

5. I was surprised at the very few references to cast lead projectiles. I remember two: an unidentified 150gr NOE mold and an Accurate mold. Both were nothing-to-brag-about 3MOA loads for those forum users. I don't recall a velocity included, so maybe they were just trying to push them too fast? I've got 16 30-caliber bullet molds, so maybe one (at least) will work and be fairly accurate. At least powder capacity is a little less of an issue since I won't need more than 2000fps to make me very happy - if accurate.

Silly me, but I forgot to include a bullet seat gauge to help me eliminate cast bullets that don't fit (DARN IT, but I'll probably be ordering again after I test out this first barrel!), so is there a good pointer for WHAT to measure to see if a bullet should fit? (I'm not talking COAL - I got that....lol.) Is there a specific maximum "Cartridge Base to Bullet Ogive Length" I should use? Ogive to tip length maximum length constrained by COAL?

Thanks,
KJ

Welcome!

When dedicated projectiles (CC, HHC etc) became available, people started using them and discussing them but there is nothing wrong with 150gr bullets.
I keep a stock of Speer 150BTSP and Hornady 150SST for special occasions where higher BC is required and the target weight is more than 400lbs.

My "do it all" choice is 135FTX. For bulk shooting I use 125TNT and Accura 120gr.

I am not sure if there are suitable lead casts for 300HAMR but it might be possible since Accura makes electroplated lead bullet that work in HAM'R thanks to moderate velocities and low twist rate.
Regarding accuracy, Accura 120gr shot identical to 125TNT.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: KJUN] #8599692 05/17/22 10:30 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister

Thanks,
KJ

Welcome KJUN

#1 Nothing wrong with the Speer 150gr Gold Dot or the 150gr HAM'R BONDED if you like controlled expansion and deep penetration. They are an excellent choice for big tough game.

#2 Nothing wrong with the Speer 150gr BTSP either other than we couldn't get any for almost a year. This is a HOT-CORE bullet so it's almost as tough as the GD and Bonded above. As to the #30303 SST, it's like Hornady designed this bullet for the 300 HAM'R, shoots well and kills extremely well too. We haven't been able to get any of these in about 15 months now!!!

#3 I don't really see any POI difference between the two and the amount of exposed lead on the RN HAM'R HOT-CORE is actually more than the FP so they actually initiate expansion even faster than the FP

#4 The 4 peddles rarely exit, but the solid base typically will after 18" or so of penetration

#5 I don't have any experience with cast or plated bullet in the HAM'R

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #8599712 05/17/22 10:56 PM
K
KJUN Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat

#3 I don't really see any POI difference between the two and the amount of exposed lead on the RN HAM'R HOT-CORE is actually more than the FP so they actually initiate expansion even faster than the FP

Thank you, sir. Those answers cleared up a lot from the old posts for me. It will help me make my decision WHEN I can find what I want in stock. (That's why I work to get a load/mould for everything so I can still shoot something when we go through these semi-regular shortages.......

#3 is great info to know. Being a cast hunter, the wider meplate is just attractive to me. Call it a habitual attraction. Anyway, I think my order has 500 of the 130HHC in it, if I remember correctly. It is going to be what I try out first on deer/hogs!

#5 Any suggestions on exactly what SHAPE to look for on what is "likely" to chamber before I start just randomly shoving bullets into molds or ordering a special mould? I know to avoid "long bullets" - like the high BC coppers - but what is "too long" and what is "short enough" to fit - or is anything that is short enough to fit in the mag with a proper crimp LIKELY to fit?

My confusion is that I'm not sure if the "doesn't fit" problem is an COAL thing only OR a chamber shape thing, too.

Originally Posted by eugenesan

I keep a stock of Speer 150BTSP and Hornady 150SST for special occasions where higher BC is required and the target weight is more than 400lbs.

My "do it all" choice is 135FTX. For bulk shooting I use 125TNT and Accura 120gr.

Thank you. I'm "planning" on 130gr FNHC or HHC for most hunting, but I would like a heavier option "in my back pocket." The cast option is because I do like to hunt with cast AND it keeps me shooting whenever we hit these times of shortages. (This is my fourth - and worst - to go through, so I've learned to ALWAYS have a cast bullet option ready for every caliber.

-KJ

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8599959 05/18/22 04:17 AM
J
jbcuster Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
NATCHEZ HAS CCI #450 Small Rifle Primers INSTOCK AS OF MAY 17 10:42PM EST.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: KJUN] #8600079 05/18/22 12:49 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister

Thank you, sir. Those answers cleared up a lot from the old posts for me. It will help me make my decision WHEN I can find what I want in stock. (That's why I work to get a load/mould for everything so I can still shoot something when we go through these semi-regular shortages.......

#3 is great info to know. Being a cast hunter, the wider meplate is just attractive to me. Call it a habitual attraction. Anyway, I think my order has 500 of the 130HHC in it, if I remember correctly. It is going to be what I try out first on deer/hogs!

#5 Any suggestions on exactly what SHAPE to look for on what is "likely" to chamber before I start just randomly shoving bullets into molds or ordering a special mould? I know to avoid "long bullets" - like the high BC coppers - but what is "too long" and what is "short enough" to fit - or is anything that is short enough to fit in the mag with a proper crimp LIKELY to fit?

My confusion is that I'm not sure if the "doesn't fit" problem is an COAL thing only OR a chamber shape thing, too.

Originally Posted by eugenesan

Thank you. I'm "planning" on 130gr FNHC or HHC for most hunting, but I would like a heavier option "in my back pocket." The cast option is because I do like to hunt with cast AND it keeps me shooting whenever we hit these times of shortages. (This is my fourth - and worst - to go through, so I've learned to ALWAYS have a cast bullet option ready for every caliber.

-KJ

A profile like the Hornady 150gr FP .30-30 bullet is about as blunt as I've had good feeding with.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: jbcuster] #8600189 05/18/22 03:00 PM
T
TxPigKiller Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by jbcuster

Yeah but they're still charging scalper prices...over twice what I paid for the last ones I bought. Fortunately I was able to buy a case so I've probably now got a lifetime supply.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: TxPigKiller] #8600373 05/18/22 08:46 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by TxPigKiller
Originally Posted by jbcuster

Yeah but they're still charging scalper prices...over twice what I paid for the last ones I bought. Fortunately I was able to buy a case so I've probably now got a lifetime supply.

I don't know what they are selling them for, but based on the latest price increase for OEM bulk primers we received from CCI yesterday $75./M would be a good deal now !!! We're now paying (direct from CCI) over 300% of the prices we paid in early 2020

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8600873 05/19/22 02:26 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I have been watching this thread off and on from the beginning. Nearly grabbed me a Ham'r barrel several different times and backed out, or had items out of stock when I went to order. But, I finally got everything ordered the other day. Barrel, bolt, cases, dies, 125 TNT bullets, and 5 lbs of CFE BLK.

My question is this. I was going to default and run a gas system, but then I got to thinking how much I like my Adams piston gun in 556. It made me start thinking maybe I need to make this one a piston gun too. I think, maybe, I read somewhere in this thread that Team Oink uses some piston guns? If so which kits are you guys using? Like I said I love my Adams, it has run flawless for me. I'm always ready to listen to others experiences though.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8600883 05/19/22 02:41 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I’m pretty upset at the grocery store scalpers too. The cost of the steak I looked at was over 2x the price of the last one I bought from the store.

Welcome to our reality. Food, fuel, Primers, and gold can’t be had for 2006 prices and won’t be there again in our lifetime.

Now can someone get DJ to take me out and let me loose on his pigs? It seems all the one in this county got lead poisoning

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8601086 05/19/22 09:38 PM
O
OneK Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Thank your beef packer!!! I know the rancher isn't getting more money and the feeder is just getting by. There just isn't enough competition in the processing business. The big ones have bought out the small ones.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8601471 05/20/22 01:59 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
It’s an analogy not a political statement.

Expecting 2004 prices in 2022 is about the same as expecting a HAMR to be a good 1000yd gun. It’s just WAY out there thinking

I’m off to check cattle water on my bike now, $5+ a gallon diesel and all.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Dzhitshard] #8601558 05/20/22 03:30 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
Due to our recent purchase of the New Ultralight Arms (NULA) assets there will be a super lightweight high quality 300 HAM'R built on a mini action this fall available from Wilson Combat.

NULA

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8601559 05/20/22 03:36 PM
ChootEm Online Content
Light Foot
Online Content
Light Foot
Just a heads up if you all missed the instagram post but ammo and magazines are on sale starting today on shopwilsoncombat.com

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #8601606 05/20/22 05:00 PM
I
Isopher Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
I
Due to our recent purchase of the New Ultralight Arms (NULA) assets there will be a super lightweight high quality 300 HAM'R built on a mini action this fall available from Wilson Combat.

NULA

Oh nice! I'm going to have to pick one of those up when they are available.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8602140 05/21/22 06:52 AM
B
Big Sam Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
B
Every year for the last 9 years I pack my bags and go hog hunting. The first year in Florida and the last 8 in Tennessee Colony TX. There is a group of us that comes together once a year and hunts hogs and enjoy a few days away from the strife of life. This is my first year with the Ham'r. To be more precise it's a 1-15 18" Wilson made barrel in my AR15. The ammo is the factory 150gr Speer BTSP.

Simply put, the Ham'r put my 2 hogs (120lb ish) down instantly. I never saw so much blood as the Ham'r bullet leaks out of hogs. I could not be happier with its performance. It is very much like the 308's with SST's that some guys shoot. Everything else has left me wanting more in some way or another. But not this time.

Attached Files IMG_3366 (1).jpgIMG_3353.jpgIMG_3362.jpgIMG_3378.jpg

"Group think" is not thinking. It is the lack of independent thought. It is a cancer of the mind.
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Big Sam] #8602174 05/21/22 12:05 PM
G
Graycard Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
G
That is just about the exact feeling I had the first time I tested the 300 HAM'R!
I just couldn't understand how this small cartridge could kill a hog not dead, but SO DEAD! And then it repeated itself on our whitetails! Must be voodoo.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8602442 05/21/22 08:17 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
For those policing mags/ammo, why not these

Lancer Translucent Hybrid mags

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: David Maas] #8602750 05/22/22 12:23 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by David Maas
For those policing mags/ammo, why not these

Lancer Translucent Hybrid mags

[Linked Image]

Because this is a .223/5.56 mag with the front ribs protruding into the inside of the tube too much for the 300 HAM'R or Blackout to properly stack. Just stick with the Lancer designed for the .300BLK

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8602958 05/22/22 06:39 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
It listed 300 BO on the package, hmmm

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: David Maas] #8602961 05/22/22 06:48 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by David Maas
It listed 300 BO on the package, hmmm

I was going by what the like takes you to

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8602965 05/22/22 06:52 PM
M
MC68 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
[Linked Image]
I made this small boar flip over when I hit him with 150gr SST round. The shot was from just over 200 yards and he ran 5 yards leaking blood like crazy!

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8602992 05/22/22 08:04 PM
S
SDTurner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Hey guys - question on the Lehigh 125gr CC.

In my testing with the 95gr and 110gr CC, I have found the permanent wound channels to be relatively similar, but the temporary cavity is slightly bigger on the 95gr due to increased velocity but it doesn't penetrate quite as much as the 110gr. Conversely, the 110 has a slightly smaller temporary cavity, but penetrates a little more than the 95gr.

I haven't tried any 125gr CC's yet, but based on your experiences, would you say that the 125 would follow this trend and would penetrate slightly more than the 110gr?

Thanks!

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: SDTurner] #8603018 05/22/22 08:57 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by SDTurner
Hey guys - question on the Lehigh 125gr CC.

In my testing with the 95gr and 110gr CC, I have found the permanent wound channels to be relatively similar, but the temporary cavity is slightly bigger on the 95gr due to increased velocity but it doesn't penetrate quite as much as the 110gr. Conversely, the 110 has a slightly smaller temporary cavity, but penetrates a little more than the 95gr.

I haven't tried any 125gr CC's yet, but based on your experiences, would you say that the 125 would follow this trend and would penetrate slightly more than the 110gr?

Thanks!

Yes since the base typically weighs 62gr.. This is what the 125gr CC does every time.

[Linked Image]

Page 102 of 152 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 151 152
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide