Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8600238 05/18/22 04:18 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Harbor Freight in general has decent quality stuff for the most part. Decent, not great and that is why electricians don't buy their lineman pliers, side cutters, strippers, etc there nor does a professional auto mechanic buy their tools there. But, if you need tools that you don't use everyday then why the hell not? I have bought a lot of tools there over the years and they all work for the purpose I need them to. I'd much rather pay $10 for a 2.25" socket for my impact for farm equipment than $75 for a high end name brand one if I'm only needing it one time to pull apart a disc harrow to rebuild it.

Roger that. Everyday tools = buy quality.

Occasional use/beater tools = HF.

I would never use one of my Klein screwdrivers as a hammer or pry tool, but I keep HF screwdrivers around just for that purpose.

Exactly right sb!!!

They don't give those Klein tools away. Hell, I remember starting in the trade 30 years ago and what it cost me for a complete hand tool package including leather pouches and belt is about what a pair of pliers, needle nose, side cutter, and stripper cost now! lmao Hell, and I am talking about the full package back then including nut driver sets. eek2

LOL, yessr I remember. I've still got and use many of the Klein tools that I bought when I started in the trade 27 yrs ago. They've been used a LOT, but taken care of. My oldest Son is following in my footsteps and started in the trade back when he graduated HS. He was amazed that I still had so many old tools that had been on so many projects, explained ya just gotta take care of your stuff and DON'T ever loan out any of your good tools. Loan out the HF tools LOL. I've learned a lot of lessons there, some were expensive....like loaning out a brand new pair of Klein ratchet cutters to a dip chit coworker thinking he was gonna cut electrical cable with them, but he totally destroys them cutting off 1/4" SS bolts. bang

Anyway back grin

Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: TCM3] #8600239 05/18/22 04:18 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I got my father-in-law's tools and stand-up tool chest, since none of the grandsons wanted them. He never had a lot of money, but most of the hand tools are American made! flag

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: Creekrunner] #8600240 05/18/22 04:22 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I got my father-in-law's tools and stand-up tool chest, since none of the grandsons wanted them. He never had a lot of money, but most of the hand tools are American made! flag

That's awesome Creek.

Hard to believe none of his grandsons wanted them...

Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: pertnear] #8600275 05/18/22 05:25 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by pertnear
A good friend of mine owns an automobile restoration shop. He said that they buy HF tools now & then when needed for a job. He says that they ALWAYS buy the warranty. If the tool breaks, slows down, malfunctions or wears-out too soon they take it back. Said they has never been a question or argument from HF - they just give them another one.

You ain’t taking nothing back if your jack stands fail.

Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: skinnerback] #8600294 05/18/22 05:57 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

That's awesome Creek.

Yes it is awesome for sure.

But, it really isn't that hard to believe these days to be honest.
Hell, my son and even my daughter were outside kids and always doing work with me when I was at home. Kids today just don't work with their hands like they used to! My son could back any trailer you wanted him to by the time he was 12 or 13 years old and could run any piece of equipment you wanted him to and do it right. I asked him one day when he was in high school how many of his friends could check the oil on a push mower, fill the fuel, and start it up and mow grass and do it right. He told me maybe 20% of them and it honestly didn't surprise me the number was so low.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8600306 05/18/22 06:13 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

That's awesome Creek.

Hell, my son and even my daughter were outside kids and always doing work with me when I was at home. Kids today just don't work with their hands like they used to! My son could back any trailer you wanted him to by the time he was 12 or 13 years old and could run any piece of equipment you wanted him to and do it right. I asked him one day when he was in high school how many of his friends could check the oil on a push mower, fill the fuel, and start it up and mow grass and do it right. He told me maybe 20% of them and it honestly didn't surprise me the number was so low.

You've got a point.

Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: TCM3] #8600307 05/18/22 06:13 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
You knuckle heads go ahead and crawl up under a truck with those jack stands.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/consumer-advisory-warning-harbor-freight-jack-stand-users

Nobody is saying don’t buy anything from the joint… but jack stands…. No

Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: Sneaky] #8600325 05/18/22 06:48 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by pertnear
A good friend of mine owns an automobile restoration shop. He said that they buy HF tools now & then when needed for a job. He says that they ALWAYS buy the warranty. If the tool breaks, slows down, malfunctions or wears-out too soon they take it back. Said they has never been a question or argument from HF - they just give them another one.

You ain’t taking nothing back if your jack stands fail.

Solid point.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: skinnerback] #8600327 05/18/22 06:53 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

That's awesome Creek.

You've got a point.

My son already has a lot of tools, and the other 4 all live way out of state, so they couldn't get any home. It was a marathon day with them cleaning out my mother-in-law's garage, so there just wasn't time to go through the stuff. My boy loaded them in my trailer and all I had to do was pick through them, throwing trash away, etc. There were 4, count 'em FOUR brace and bits! I trashed the almost ruined ones, but kept 2...just in case we get back to the Stone Age. grin My son is a way better carpenter than me and a pretty good all-around mechanic. He picked up a lot of skills in college, helping a girl friend's dad. That was the girl that fit in our family like a glove and everyone loved her. Of course, they never marry that one. mad But I digress.

Last edited by Creekrunner; 05/18/22 07:42 PM. Reason: 'Forgot one grandson!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: TCM3] #8600345 05/18/22 07:47 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Car jacks? Ya bunch of Sally's.

[Linked Image]

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: ducknbass] #8600348 05/18/22 07:51 PM
E
Espy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted by ducknbass
You knuckle heads go ahead and crawl up under a truck with those jack stands.

Nobody is saying don’t buy anything from the joint… but jack stands…. No

[Linked Image]
No way I would use the jack stands because blocks are a lot stronger up

Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: TCM3] #8600436 05/18/22 10:01 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I used to race an old Austin-Healey, and I got a set of these because they'd lift the car up high enough that I could easily get under it. I didn't need for them to hold six tons, but they worked great for my purposes.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: der Teufel] #8600454 05/18/22 10:17 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by der Teufel
I used to race an old Austin-Healey, and I got a set of these because they'd lift the car up high enough that I could easily get under it. I didn't need for them to hold six tons, but they worked great for my purposes.

worthless (I love British sports cars, but, sadly, I don't have the maintenance skills to actually own one. Dad had a '53 MG that buggered even him.)

Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: TCM3] #8602594 05/22/22 01:27 AM
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: TCM3] #8602673 05/22/22 03:14 AM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
nope! bolt

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: Creekrunner] #8602908 05/22/22 05:00 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by der Teufel

worthless (I love British sports cars, but, sadly, I don't have the maintenance skills to actually own one. Dad had a '53 MG that buggered even him.)

Here's one…
[Linked Image]

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: New from Harbor Freight [Re: glens] #8602938 05/22/22 05:40 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by glens
Only way to support a heavy vehicle safely. . Used these on my 44,000 pound RV when I had it. [Linked Image]

I used to have some Snap On 20 ton stands for coaches, they were great. I always felt safe.
But 4 of them Harbor Freight ones will hold 48,000 pounds. Heck, you would have 4,000 pounds to spare.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide