Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8592455 05/06/22 02:45 PM
B
BenBob Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Went out dove hunting and set up on an old pipeline. Most of the dove were flying to me and continuing down the cleared pipeline to a stock tank if I missed. I saw one smoking it to me from a little distance and fired a shot. I connected and put the shotgun in my left hand. I caught the dove on the fly in my right hand and fired to second base for a double play. Well, I caught the dove on the fly anyway.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8593992 05/08/22 11:16 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I shared this one before on this forum.
One evening we had a hot whitetail doe come running to the feeder during the rut. She was followed by a few bucks and some more bucks joined the party. She was mounted a few times and the bucks kept coming for her, chasing her all over the place. Right at dark she finally collapsed under a buck, I though from exhaustion. The bucks tried to lift her up with their antlers, one even got on his knees trying to negotiate a way to get to her.
It was dark by the time the bucks moved on. We thought the doe might have got up and left. When we went to check where she was, she was still there, graveyard dead.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Simple Searcher] #8594181 05/09/22 09:43 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
One evening we had a hot whitetail doe come running to the feeder during the rut. She was followed by a few bucks and some more bucks joined the party. She was mounted a few times and the bucks kept coming for her, chasing her all over the place. Right at dark she finally collapsed under a buck, I though from exhaustion. The bucks tried to lift her up with their antlers, one even got on his knees trying to negotiate a way to get to her.
It was dark by the time the bucks moved on. We thought the doe might have got up and left. When we went to check where she was, she was still there, graveyard dead.

eeks333

[Linked Image]
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Simple Searcher] #8594448 05/09/22 05:24 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

deer 🦌 banana 🦌 banana 🦌 banana 🦌 banana violin

[Linked Image]
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8595746 05/11/22 08:42 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BenBob
Went out dove hunting and set up on an old pipeline. Most of the dove were flying to me and continuing down the cleared pipeline to a stock tank if I missed. I saw one smoking it to me from a little distance and fired a shot. I connected and put the shotgun in my left hand. I caught the dove on the fly in my right hand and fired to second base for a double play. Well, I caught the dove on the fly anyway.

I shot one that fell and broadsided my lab. He had the strangest look on his face. I think it actually embarrassed him.

Also had a hawk swoop down and snatch up a dove that I had just shot.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8595861 05/11/22 11:19 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Many years ago after the market had dropped out on them, had a emu come walking up to my stand in East Texas. Thankfully, it left and walked off after 10 minutes or so.

However, the strangest thing by far was watching what turned out to be a Russian satellite that broke up as it re-entered the atmosphere. I was coon hunting with an old timer and we had a great view of it from the pipeline where we were standing at the time. At first we thought it was a large bottle rocket, but then realized it was much higher and wasn't moving as a fast as a low-flying bottle rocket. It must have taken it at least a minute or two to trace across the sky before all the pieces had burned up. Didn't know what it was until I read about it in next morning's paper.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/11/22 11:21 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Simple Searcher] #8595902 05/12/22 12:21 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Is the Game Warden still looking for me, it was an accident rofl bolt

texas flag

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Texan Til I Die] #8597568 05/14/22 02:05 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Originally Posted by BenBob

I shot one that fell and broadsided my lab. He had the strangest look on his face. I think it actually embarrassed him.

Also had a hawk swoop down and snatch up a dove that I had just shot.

I had a friend shoot a dove that hit me right in the face as it came down. I heard the shot and then SMACK. I thought I had been shot.

[Linked Image]

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8597571 05/14/22 02:09 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Not hunting but fishing, late β€˜80s
We were crappie fishing on Canyon Lake one night when I had to take a leak. We were tied to a big dead cypress, and I stood up the bow of our little John boat to relieve myself. About mid-stream a 4ft snake fell (jumped and attacked) out of the tree and landed on me. I went into full out panic and tripped and fell into the boat crushing our tackle box. During the screaming "snake! snake!" and thrashing about I knocked our lantern over breaking it and crushing the mantles. In almost pure darkness my brother was swinging the oar madly at the deck hoping to get a piece of the snake, that he could not see. To make matters worse I was now trying to dodge a snake and an oar and was scared for my life. Thanks to a little bit of moonlight my brother spotted the snake and switched into high gear wailing on it. After about 20 good whacks he finally got in a good lick and the snake managed to make it over the side. The snake was quite broken up, but still swam away. How I did not pee myself is a miracle.
Soon after this the boat was stored in a barn for about 30 years before it was decided that my daughter could have it. We pulled it out in the light and she asked "how did that bench get so bent up?"

[Linked Image]

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8597578 05/14/22 02:30 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Simple, if that was me I would describe those screams as being a war cry.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Simple Searcher] #8597851 05/14/22 11:56 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
We were crappie fishing on Canyon Lake one night when I had to take a leak. We were tied to a big dead cypress, and I stood up the bow of our little John boat to relieve myself. About mid-stream a 4ft snake fell (jumped and attacked) out of the tree and landed on me. I went into full out panic and tripped and fell into the boat crushing our tackle box. During the screaming "snake! snake!" and thrashing about I knocked our lantern over breaking it and crushing the mantles. In almost pure darkness my brother was swinging the oar madly at the deck hoping to get a piece of the snake, that he could not see. To make matters worse I was now trying to dodge a snake and an oar and was scared for my life. Thanks to a little bit of moonlight my brother spotted the snake and switched into high gear wailing on it. After about 20 good whacks he finally got in a good lick and the snake managed to make it over the side. The snake was quite broken up, but still swam away. How I did not pee myself is a miracle.
Soon after this the boat was stored in a barn for about 30 years before it was decided that my daughter could have it. We pulled it out in the light and she asked "how did that bench get so bent up?"

Best thing I've read on hear in a while cheers

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: Simple Searcher] #8598480 05/16/22 01:47 AM
C
Catperch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C

My goodness this made me laugh. It reminds me of almost the exact same story my uncle has told me 1000 times, except when it happened to them, his buddy climbed out on top of the outboard motor and pooped his pants during the commotion.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8599125 05/17/22 12:26 AM
C
CAMAROWITHBASS Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Went to a place to help clear out does because there was over population.

Well only 1 doe came out and I shot it with my 30.06 down it went and stayed down.
30 minutes or so later I decided to call it quits and went over to it to pick it up.
I got about 10 yards away, it sprang up and ran off and jumped a fence onto the neighboring
property.

Not a single drop of blood was shed where she laid down.

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8599384 05/17/22 01:47 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Tale of the Spike that would not die nuts

Many moons ago one morning I was hunting out of the fork of a big oak tree in Jacksboro, my friend and his son were in their stand about 300 yards away.

A 2 1/2 year old spike casually walked by around 60 yards away so I put the cross hairs on my 270 on the mid back side of the shoulder and shot. The spike started doing the slow stutter death walk, so I chambered a second one and put the cross hairs on the shoulder again, I could see blood coming out from the first shot so I knew it was just a case of the walking dead.

Put another in the shoulder and it continued it's slow erratic death walk, chambered a third one put the scope on the shoulder and there is a lot of blood pumping out of there and put a third shot into to him and it stumbles off into some light brush.

I thought I would give it about 10 minutes just to be sure for this was one tough little bastage. Not two minutes later here comes my bud and his son, I get down tell them what transpired.
We walk over to where it went and there he was 10 yards away laying up against an Oak tree, staring at us. His shoulder is just covered in blood so we watch him for a minute and I decide to put my fourth and final bullet in him.

rifle I blasted him from 10 yards away and the spike jumps up runs right past us like he had never been shot and was gone into the thick woods never to be seen again confused2

Been hunting a long time before that and usually they drop where they are standing or maybe stumble off for 10 yards or so, never before or after had that happen to me.

Last edited by Stub; 05/17/22 01:49 PM.

texas flag

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8599411 05/17/22 02:26 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
In 40 years never had this happen. I took my rifle out and fired a shot to check zero. Nice! on target. I laid the rifle on my tailgate. I went around and grab a new box of ammo. I loaded a 4 rounds laid the rifle on the tailgate put the ammo away. I walked away for 10 minutes. As I was walking i heard pigs at the feeder. I made it to the rifle and took aim. Blam! The pig ran off I felt a sting in my left shoulder, figured it was a wasp. I walk to the feeder no blood, or anything to indicate a hit. I look at the rifle and about an inch of the muzzle is split right at the tip. I check my shoulder and there is a small piece of shrapnel sticking out. Never have I had such an experience. My advice is always wear safety glasses when shooting. Strange things can happen and obviously do.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8602175 05/21/22 12:07 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The older daughter and I were pig hunting in Devine on a hot muggy evening. One of them evenings where you just sit there and sweat, it was miserable.
At the edge of dark about 30 pigs came out about 30 yards away, they were grouped up on a pile of corn. She sat down the bolt gun and grabbed the AR. She hit one, then another, then commenced to spraying the area with the remaining 18 rounds.
It took a minute for the dust to clear from the 10 seconds of mayhem. She got four of them and a few blood trails that we did not track
I didn't think this through, I was sitting to her right as she went ape crazy on the hogs. As the casings were ejecting, they were landing on me, some went down my shirt. They sizzled as the hit. I had burns/blisters on my neck, left arm, chest, and many on my stomach. I was hopping around trying to shake them loose, I swear every casing got me. I'll never tuck in my shirt while hunting again.

[Linked Image]

Re: Strangest Event While Hunting [Re: BenBob] #8621050 06/15/22 07:21 PM
S
Soda4Rocky Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Not really a "strange" event but I thought a funny story:

Buddy and I went to some land that we had gotten permission to hunt on. We wanted to see the layout, find places for feeders etc. As we were walking we saw two sows about 150 yards away, but in amongst some trees. Didn't really have a clear shot and when we tried to get closer, they ran off. We walked back to the trail we were on and heard "little grunts". We found where it was coming from and decided to see what would happen if we moved the brush and tree branches to uncover our find. Well, 5 fairly small pigs started scattering all over the place. Our first reaction? Run after them! Well, those little bastards were shifty as hell. Just fast enough to keep away from us. I am not sure how old they were, but they were about the same size as a football. Anyway, we focused our attention on ONE piglet but he kept escaping us.

So after a few minutes of endless running and watching my buddy BUST HIS [censored] (hilarious) trying to catch it, I decided it was time for drastic measures. The damn thing was too little to shoot moving that fast (for me anyway) So I decided to go old school. I picked up a pretty good sized pine tree branch and restarted the chase. I got about 8-10 feet away and launched a left-handed missile at this little sucker and NAILED IT. It was definitely dazed, but definitely unable to take off. We picked it up and decided to try and use it as an "organic" hog call. No luck. When all was said and done after an hour of walking around with it, we decided to let it go so we could see him again in the future.

I will never forget the day I knocked out a piglet with a tree branch and the hilarity that ensued for a few minutes while chasing him. Photo below after the events unfolded:

[img]http://ibb.co/FmPwqXf[/img]

Last edited by Soda4Rocky; 06/15/22 07:21 PM.

β€œPain don’t hurt.” - Dalton
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide