I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by wp75169
Originally Posted by Stealthjr
To fight or not to fight?

I bought 130 acres in Jack County in Feb 2021 for $400k. The 2021 Total Market Value was $284k with Timber value at $9,400…i paid $200 in taxes (It had a Cattle AG)

This year my Proposed Market Value is $790k with Timber value staying the same at $9,400. Estimated taxes at $215! (By the way i successfully switched from cattle ag to wildlife exemption)

The questions: I certainly have no issue with the $215! However, i just started to build a home on this land and plan to move in next summer. If my dirt is appraised at $790k, What is going to happen with my tax bill when my house is built?!!? I dont think i should protest a $215 tax bill even though the dirt isnt worth their $790k estimate. Do i just wait and see what they hit me with when the house is done?

Thoughts?

I think you need to deed the property with house on it separately. I know a few people with 100 ish acres exempt and own a separate unrelated 1 acre property with their house on it. That may not be best in your county or even relevant but it’s worth looking into.

I would fight the tax increase no matter what.

This is correct.
I believe different counties have different amount of land set to go with the home for taxation. In Bexar we had to do 1 acre with the house.
Just under 1800sf living on an acre and we pay over $5k/year on that and only $300 on the remaining 31.5 acres yet the land is now worth more than double the house and 1 acre.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8597168 05/13/22 08:35 PM
Stealthjr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Does the Wildlife AG have ANY effect on the homesite property tax?

Example: Does a $500k house in Jack County WITHOUT an AG exemption pay the same property taxes as a $500k house WITH an AG exemption?

Thanks!

There's nothing better than killin it and grillin it!
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stealthjr] #8597170 05/13/22 08:40 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Does the Wildlife AG have ANY effect on the homesite property tax?

Example: Does a $500k house in Jack County WITHOUT an AG exemption pay the same property taxes as a $500k house WITH an AG exemption?

Thanks!

Yes, I believe so. The 1 acre homesite is carved out and treated just like it was in town.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stealthjr] #8597213 05/13/22 09:36 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I bought 130 acres in Jack County in Feb 2021 for $400k. The 2021 Total Market Value was $284k with Timber value at $9,400…i paid $200 in taxes (It had a Cattle AG)
This year my Proposed Market Value is $790k with Timber value staying the same at $9,400. Estimated taxes at $215! (By the way i successfully switched from cattle ag to wildlife exemption)
The questions: I certainly have no issue with the $215! However, i just started to build a home on this land and plan to move in next summer. If my dirt is appraised at $790k, What is going to happen with my tax bill when my house is built?!!? I dont think i should protest a $215 tax bill even though the dirt isnt worth their $790k estimate. Do i just wait and see what they hit me with when the house is done?
Thoughts?

You could (and should) easily file a protest, because you purchased LESS THAN A YEAR from the appraisal date 1/1/2022, and simply need to show them your purchase contract dated Feb 2021 for 400K.
They should easily draw the appraisal back to 400k. Your not protesting the tax amount, just the 'appraisal value' of the dirt that you bought less than a year ago, and that counts more than any other comparison.
I wouldn't waste the chance to do this, as they won't accept the purchase contract next year (it will be more than a year old), and they sure as hell won't lower the value - they never do without a protest.

It will be appraised again on 1/1/2023, and if the house is finished then they'll separate out 1acre for house, and rest will remain ag exempt (keep your receipts/proof of ag exempt activities).

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8597248 05/13/22 10:25 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Something I have noticed here lately is the amount of people who give out investment advice while paying an enormous tax bill. I'm sorry but I don't need your thoughts on bitcoin or other investments when you're paying $15k in property taxes to live on .23 acres lol. Might as well throw your money out the window.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: BigfootWallace] #8597250 05/13/22 10:36 PM
glens Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BigfootWallace
Something I have noticed here lately is the amount of people who give out investment advice while paying an enormous tax bill. I'm sorry but I don't need your thoughts on bitcoin or other investments when you're paying $15k in property taxes to live on .23 acres lol. Might as well throw your money out the window.

Yeah , Do like an Idiot said before, "Downsize"

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: glens] #8597256 05/13/22 10:47 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by glens

I would never "downsize". No reason to when you can Ag or Wildlife a big piece of property and pay less than the dumb subdivision people do for a tiny sliver of "land".

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: BigfootWallace] #8597279 05/13/22 11:33 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

I would never "downsize". No reason to when you can Ag or Wildlife a big piece of property and pay less than the dumb subdivision people do for a tiny sliver of "land".

Painting with a pretty broad brush...

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Jimbo1] #8597412 05/14/22 02:53 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Painting with a pretty broad brush...

It's the only brush he has.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8597473 05/14/22 04:44 AM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Yep, the common sense brush is all I have lol

Pointing out the folly of paying more for a tenth of an acre than 100. I'm sure it hurts some to even think about.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: glens] #8597490 05/14/22 09:53 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

From, evidently, an idjit - If you don't want to pay for that which you own, you do have options. What other acceptable option would there be to reduce your property tax burden other than downsizing? Somes wanna gritch and do nothing. Might make 'em feel better, but gets 'em nowheres. The world ain't perfect. You can make it better, but it will never be perfect.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: glens] #8597534 05/14/22 12:32 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Calling me an idiot because my wife and I downsized? Classy

You can't fix stupid
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Bee'z] #8597539 05/14/22 12:50 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 2Beez
Originally Posted by jetdad
They've gone mad with power.

Grayson county is getting a big talk from me. However big they want.

Let's be co-council for each county. I will come with you to Grayson, you come with me to Fannin.

Yall want to argue? Watch this.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: oldoak2000] #8597575 05/14/22 02:16 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by oldoak2000
Thoughts?

You could (and should) easily file a protest, because you purchased LESS THAN A YEAR from the appraisal date 1/1/2022, and simply need to show them your purchase contract dated Feb 2021 for 400K.
They should easily draw the appraisal back to 400k. Your not protesting the tax amount, just the 'appraisal value' of the dirt that you bought less than a year ago, and that counts more than any other comparison.
I wouldn't waste the chance to do this, as they won't accept the purchase contract next year (it will be more than a year old), and they sure as hell won't lower the value - they never do without a protest.

It will be appraised again on 1/1/2023, and if the house is finished then they'll separate out 1acre for house, and rest will remain ag exempt (keep your receipts/proof of ag exempt activities).

I agree. Happened to us (too long of a story, and it sorta worked out ok) but you need to protest this one and get it drawn back to what you bought it for. Will help in the long run.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: BigfootWallace] #8597577 05/14/22 02:27 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Yep, the common sense brush is all I have lol

Pointing out the folly of paying more for a tenth of an acre than 100. I'm sure it hurts some to even think about.

You claim "common sense" but all you're doing is disparaging suburban homeowners. Classic one upper!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: J.G.] #8597885 05/15/22 01:18 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Let's be co-council for each county. I will come with you to Grayson, you come with me to Fannin.

Yall want to argue? Watch this.

Say when. Let's go get this done

[Linked Image]
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: BigfootWallace] #8597938 05/15/22 03:01 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Somethping I have noticed here lately is the amount of people who give out investment advice while paying an enormous tax bill. I'm sorry but I don't need your thoughts on bitcoin or other investments when you're paying $15k in property taxes to live on .23 acres lol. Might as well throw your money out the window.

Interesting investment position to take.

I may not be a high roller like you, but but my property taxes have not been my biggest concern over the years. I REALLY, REALLY hate property taxes but I see it as an overhead item like fuel. My strategy has been to very carefully pick the right area to live in (sometimes with high taxes) that will double and triple my own home value every few years. That provides equity to buy bigger land. Again, you may be doing a lot better by chasing low property taxes as your investment strategy and I get that.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Stub] #8597953 05/15/22 03:39 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
BigDwallace has said it, let it be written

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Marc K] #8597960 05/15/22 04:21 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Marc K
Somethping I have noticed here lately is the amount of people who give out investment advice while paying an enormous tax bill. I'm sorry but I don't need your thoughts on bitcoin or other investments when you're paying $15k in property taxes to live on .23 acres lol. Might as well throw your money out the window.

I may not be a high roller like you, but but my property taxes have not been my biggest concern over the years. I REALLY, REALLY hate property taxes but I see it as an overhead item like fuel. My strategy has been to very carefully pick the right area to live in (sometimes with high taxes) that will double and triple my own home value every few years. That provides equity to buy bigger land. Again, you may be doing a lot better by chasing low property taxes as your investment strategy and I get that.

BUUUUUURRRRNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!! roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Marc K] #8597969 05/15/22 05:27 AM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

I'm not "chasing" anything, just trying to live the highest quality of life possible while not making bonehead financial decisions. I obviously have a much different view on life (both literally and figuratively) than most here.

In this market it doesn't matter where you are, real estate is doubling and tripling everywhere. I still see no advantages in buying property with a huge tax burden.

It's a free country so you are welcome to pay a ton in taxes and then go pay someone else $3-5k every year to use their land to hunt on while paying $5 per gallon to drive back and forth to it. To each his own. I would rather not have a tax bill and be able to wake up in the morning jump in the sxs and go hunting.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: Bee'z] #8597984 05/15/22 10:47 AM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Yeah, they have lost their minds. Wife owns a lot near (not on) Texoma in a pretty run down area. The appraisal was about double. This is an empty lot with a chain link fence on 3 sides. The back of the lot adjoins COE property. There is no way in he!! that empty lot is worth $100K. Just ridiculous.

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: tlk] #8598082 05/15/22 02:23 PM
glens Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by tlk

Calling me an idiot because my wife and I downsized? Classy

Nope, wasn't directed at you. Could see where most Folks could save a bunch downsizing. I'm one of them. Just applied for Ag on my 10 acres here in Llano County. We'll see where it lands. Probably knock a thousand off my tax bill if I get it. It's (Taxes) only going to go Up and every year.

Last edited by glens; 05/15/22 02:29 PM.
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: BigfootWallace] #8598101 05/15/22 02:53 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I'm not "chasing" anything, just trying to live the highest quality of life possible while not making bonehead financial decisions. I obviously have a much different view on life (both literally and figuratively) than most here.

In this market it doesn't matter where you are, real estate is doubling and tripling everywhere. I still see no advantages in buying property with a huge tax burden.

It's a free country so you are welcome to pay a ton in taxes and then go pay someone else $3-5k every year to use their land to hunt on while paying $5 per gallon to drive back and forth to it. To each his own. I would rather not have a tax bill and be able to wake up in the morning jump in the sxs and go hunting.

Hilarious, and so petty. Not only that it clueless to others financial situations.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8598107 05/15/22 03:09 PM
B
BigfootWallace Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Hilarious, and so petty. Not only that it clueless to others financial situations.

It is hilarious, a bunch of "outdoorsmen" griping about high taxes in suburbia roflmao

Re: Property Values Crazy. [Re: GNTX] #8598112 05/15/22 03:19 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by GNTX

Yeah, they have lost their minds. Wife owns a lot near (not on) Texoma in a pretty run down area. The appraisal was about double. This is an empty lot with a chain link fence on 3 sides. The back of the lot adjoins COE property. There is no way in he!! that empty lot is worth $100K. Just ridiculous.

Yup - my back 20 acres is mostly creek-bottom floodplain and ravines - not buildable- and they raised the appraisal this year to $20,000 an acre! eek2 Good thing its ag exempt.

Page 23 of 28 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 27 28
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide